• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

The light source is in approximately the location of the camera - ?camera flash?
Then why is there a shadow on her right cheek if the camera flash is aimed at her right cheek?

It has reflected off the mirror. The whole light and shadow effect on the wall is caused by that reflected light. The continuation of the shadow caused by the gap between the mirrors falls on her face.

The light source is in approximately the location of the camera - ?camera flash?
Then why is there a shadow on her right cheek if the camera flash is aimed at her right cheek?

The shadows aren't solid black--the shadow areas are still being illuminated by the camera flash. The non-shadow areas are being illuminated both by the camera flash and by the reflection of the flash in the mirror--they will have nearly twice the light level of the areas only being directly illuminated. Without the direct-path light the shadows would be very harsh--an effect you can get when using a single flash offset from the camera and thus why photographers use at least two light sources (note: for this purpose reflectors count as light sources) or else a very diffused light source unless they're just using a flash on the camera. (This is less of an issue with natural-light photography as you normally have more environmental reflection. However, reflectors or flashes are still often used.)

Note also the area in the proximity of the shadow of her right hand--note how the intensity of the light is higher the farther right you go until you bump into the shadow. That is because the farther right you go the closer you are to the flash as reflected in the mirror. The direct path light to the wall is going to be close to uniform as the camera isn't so close to the wall to cause an obvious hot spot to show up.

Empathy Cards

d9KQrLM.jpg

fAqqkmI.jpg

WFuC0j4.jpg

I figured you or Keith&Co were the one circled in the photo, having despaired at bringing the thread back on track....

Standard practice. This is how you verify that you have cleaned the barrel thoroughly. When I served in the army of (unnamed communist country), we were taught to do it this way and I did it countless times. Maybe non-Kalashnikov-enabled armies do it differently?

Agreed. The gun is presumably unloaded, and the chamber is open to let light in.

To facilitate seeing any remaining dirt, I like to put something white (or a tiny lightbulb) into the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom