• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

O ye of little faith - if you dig long enough, you come out on the other side of the world.
The bad news for you: I think it would be somewhere near Australia... :D

If I was on the other side of the Earth, I would be as far from Australia as you can get without joining the space program.

I think the bad news for you is that Loren would then be on your continent.

If I was on the other side of the Earth, I would be as far from Australia as you can get without joining the space program.

I think the bad news for you is that Loren would then be on your continent.

The antipode of my current location is in the Atlantic ocean approximately 800km west of the Canary Islands; The closest continental landmass to that point is Africa.

17780_original.jpg

Don't be triggered, broflakes! The people who make dick pincushions also make vagina pincushions. You see, feminists have a problem with actual women used as pincushions and other actual inhumane purposes, while seeing an image of little quilted crafts in the shape of private parts with stick pins in it is merely humorous. If you're triggered by a plush penis, let this be a learning moment regarding what really triggers you. (Hint: it isn't violence or actual threat to you. :))

You are stating it right but missing the implications.

Anyone who ever would want a formal shirt is presumed to want that shirt. Thus their odd man out needs to be someone who never would wear a formal shirt.
Your absolutism is a figment of your imagination.
No, I'm taking the innocent until proven guilty approach. Nobody has come up with any other image they could have used to be someone who clearly never wears a formal shirt, thus I see a forced "choice" and thus racism isn't proven.
Sure, Loren.
They can't possibly suggest that anyone would tend towards other shirts unless they would never, ever, ever, ever want any sort of shirt in any way whatsoever. That's what advertising does, throws up little cute ideas that have to last for eternity, no matter how they're looked at, in any sort of configuration, or possible need to attend a funeral.

That's what this ad is about, a life-style choice to only ever wear formal shirts. Ever. For anything.

As a form of 'tradition,' as you first framed it.

After all, it's not even remotely possible that the fifth man only dresses like that for his day job as an actor at a theme park, and wore a Van Heusen shirt to his job interview...

No--anyone who sometimes wears formal shirts would want the shirts. Only those who never wear them don't care.

Obviously the guy could be an actor but that's looking for loopholes, I'm taking him at face value. The image as presented is someone who would have no use for a formal shirt.

What other image clearly conveys someone who never wants a formal shirt? Book/movie characters (ie, Tarzan) might qualify but can't be used because of copyright.

th.jpg
Your absolutism is a figment of your imagination.
No, I'm taking the innocent until proven guilty approach. Nobody has come up with any other image they could have used to be someone who clearly never wears a formal shirt, thus I see a forced "choice" and thus racism isn't proven.
Sure, Loren.
They can't possibly suggest that anyone would tend towards other shirts unless they would never, ever, ever, ever want any sort of shirt in any way whatsoever. That's what advertising does, throws up little cute ideas that have to last for eternity, no matter how they're looked at, in any sort of configuration, or possible need to attend a funeral.

That's what this ad is about, a life-style choice to only ever wear formal shirts. Ever. For anything.th.jpg

As a form of 'tradition,' as you first framed it.

After all, it's not even remotely possible that the fifth man only dresses like that for his day job as an actor at a theme park, and wore a Van Heusen shirt to his job interview...

No--anyone who sometimes wears formal shirts would want the shirts. Only those who never wear them don't care.

Obviously the guy could be an actor but that's looking for loopholes, I'm taking him at face value. The image as presented is someone who would have no use for a formal shirt.

What other image clearly conveys someone who never wants a formal shirt? Book/movie characters (ie, Tarzan) might qualify but can't be used because of copyright.

I disagree.
And so do you.
You accept Tarzan as a candidate for the 5th man in the ad, barring copyright issues.
Thing is, Tarzan did not always eschew shirts. He even wore formal shirts from time to time, in his position as the Lord Greystoke. At the end of the first Tarzan book, and in some movies, he dressed up quite fancy.

See, the ad does not need someone who NEVER wears formal shirts, just someone that the customer does not automatically associate with formal shirts for long enough to accept the advertisement.

Like you just did with Tarzan.

So, someone like a beatnik or a surfer or cowboy or a construction worker would sell the idea sufficiently.

....someone like a beatnik or a surfer or cowboy or a construction worker would sell the idea sufficiently.

B-b-b-but, the racist contingent wouldn't find that funny.
Some of those racists are cowboys or construction workers. And SURFERS - just ask some Moke what he thinks about all the Haolies hogging their waves, or vice-versa!

....someone like a beatnik or a surfer or cowboy or a construction worker would sell the idea sufficiently.

B-b-b-but, the racist contingent wouldn't find that funny.
Some of those racists are cowboys or construction workers. And SURFERS - just ask some Moke what he thinks about all the Haolies hogging their waves, or vice-versa!
In my personal experience, the cowboys would be complaining that an immigrant advertisement model was stealing their job...

7affbb5294f7b6de38ea680788d055a5.jpg

I disagree.
And so do you.
You accept Tarzan as a candidate for the 5th man in the ad, barring copyright issues.
Thing is, Tarzan did not always eschew shirts. He even wore formal shirts from time to time, in his position as the Lord Greystoke. At the end of the first Tarzan book, and in some movies, he dressed up quite fancy.

See, the ad does not need someone who NEVER wears formal shirts, just someone that the customer does not automatically associate with formal shirts for long enough to accept the advertisement.

Like you just did with Tarzan.

Shows how much I know of the character--I didn't realize he had an alter ego. Ok, I retract him as suitable.

Back
Top Bottom