• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Why does the bus have a hammer in the first place, and why is removing it worthy of a red indicator light?
The hammer is to break the windows to form an emergency exit if required; The indicator light is to alert us if a passenger thinks it would be fun to steal an expensive toughened glass breaking hammer, or thinks it would be even more fun to break the windows on a perfectly functioning and non-emergency experiencing bus.
What's the difference between your window-breakers and the typical ones we have in cars?

And why not just chain them in place?
I have never heard of them being typical in cars, so I don't know whether or not they are similar or not.

They are chained (well, wired) in place. But I still need to know if one has been removed from its bracket; The wire isn't hugely tough and wouldn't stop a thief with wirecutters, and more importantly, if someone is planning to break a window, I want to know about it.

That light (and the accompanying buzzer) is a valuable last line of communication - if the engine bay catches fire, and for some reason the fire alarm & suppression system fails, then I might not know about it (it's happening up to 18 metres behind me, and maybe round a corner), but someone removing the escape hammer from its bracket would be immediately obvious.

Why does the bus have a hammer in the first place, and why is removing it worthy of a red indicator light?
The hammer is to break the windows to form an emergency exit if required; The indicator light is to alert us if a passenger thinks it would be fun to steal an expensive toughened glass breaking hammer, or thinks it would be even more fun to break the windows on a perfectly functioning and non-emergency experiencing bus.
What's the difference between your window-breakers and the typical ones we have in cars?

And why not just chain them in place?
I have never heard of them being typical in cars, so I don't know whether or not they are similar or not.

They are chained (well, wired) in place. But I still need to know if one has been removed from its bracket; The wire isn't hugely tough and wouldn't stop a thief with wirecutters, and more importantly, if someone is planning to break a window, I want to know about it.

That light (and the accompanying buzzer) is a valuable last line of communication - if the engine bay catches fire, and for some reason the fire alarm & suppression system fails, then I might not know about it (it's happening up to 18 metres behind me, and maybe round a corner), but someone removing the escape hammer from its bracket would be immediately obvious.
Yeah, they're pretty similar to that. They are one sided, and don't include the belt cutter; They also have a hand-guard to protect the knuckles of the wielder.

Yeah, they're pretty similar to that. They are one sided, and don't include the belt cutter; They also have a hand-guard to protect the knuckles of the wielder.
You might not want to be so clear on the Internet.
I remember being young and stupid. Your description of Australian bus hammers makes them sound like a trophy.
40 years ago I might have grabbed a hammer, busted a window, climbed out of the window, then bragged about it to my friends while brandishing the hammer.

I was not a model child.
Tom

I don't think bilby or the transportation folks are worried about "the hammer". It is what "the hammer" can do that worries them, and why bilby needed to become a black belt in order to drive a bus.

Since buses do not have belts there would be no reason for a belt cutter. It just sounds like you have a warning system that costs more than what it's protecting.
All of our buses have belts, but only for the driver. Long distance buses are required to have belts for all passengers, too, but as we only provide local services, we are exempt.

As to costing more than what it's protecting, that depends whether it's protecting just the hammer, or the hammer plus one or more very expensive windows...

CDN media

Since buses do not have belts there would be no reason for a belt cutter. It just sounds like you have a warning system that costs more than what it's protecting.
All of our buses have belts, but only for the driver. Long distance buses are required to have belts for all passengers, too, but as we only provide local services, we are exempt.

As to costing more than what it's protecting, that depends whether it's protecting just the hammer, or the hammer plus one or more very expensive windows...
And someone can't bring their own window-breaker?

And someone can't bring their own window-breaker?
They don't.

I suppose they could, but that would require a great deal more forward planning than goes into most acts of pointless vandalism.

Back
Top Bottom