• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

There was a store called Jandi's in my hometown.

I never saw anything interesting in the window, so I never went in. Didn't know what kind of store it was.

But one day, after maybe twenty years, they announced a going out of business sale. So I stepped in.

"Who's Jandi," I asked.

"Jandi. The store is named 'Jandi's'?"

"Jay and I's. The store is owned by Jay and I."

So there was a kerning problem and a grammar problem too.

I refrained from exclaiming, "You were trying to say, "Jay's and Mine," and in all these years nobody ever tipped you to the fact that your sign was wrong?"

Or it could have been called Jayme’s. That would go with being “owned by Jay and me.”

I still marvel at the confusion people exhibit about the usage of “me”, “myself”, and “I”. I cringe every time I hear someon start the subject of a sentence as “me and so-and-so”. I even see it on tv shows, which means someone had to actually script it!

I still marvel at the confusion people exhibit about the usage of “me”, “myself”, and “I”. I cringe every time I hear someon start the subject of a sentence as “me and so-and-so”. I even see it on tv shows, which means someone had to actually script it!

When I lecture kids on the difference in, "Sally and me," and, "Sally and I," -- which happens but rarely -- I preface the explanation by telling them that their parents and teachers cannot model correct usage for them, so, if they want to get learn to get it right at all, they have to put in the effort to do so on their own.

When I lecture kids on the difference in, "Sally and me," and, "Sally and I," -- which happens but rarely -- I preface the explanation by telling them that their parents and teachers cannot model correct usage for them, so, if they want to get learn to get it right at all, they have to put in the effort to do so on their own.
Nowadays people always put themselves first so your example would be “me and Sally”.

Sounds like linguistic prescriptivism to I.

Me don't see much of an issue. It's just the way that language evolves. It's correct because it's in common use. That's true even if old people, editors, and those who remain traumatised by their high school English teachers flinch whenever they see it. Descriptivism rule's. (sic)

6b48pk9tdw871.jpg

And it is written that when you are reborn in the faith of Sky Kitty, you can haz cheezburger.

Back
Top Bottom