• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

Here is a real story I would like moderate leftists to give their thoughts about:
Imagine US city, time is 1:00 AM, bank with drivethrough ATM machines and a young guy appears doing something with one of the ATM machines, and he has open and running notebook standing on the ATM machine. Now police drives by, what do you think happens or should happen next?

I'll bite.

But I think it would be more enlightening to hear what YOU think should happen to a guy minding his own business infront of an ATM machine with notebook open&running standing on it.
Fixed for you. No, giving my thoughts would ruin the whole point. I just know what actually happened and want to know what you think happened and how police and the guy should behave.
Ideally, the police officer sees something that is either suspicious or unsuspicious and procedes from there. I've had my wife hand me her atm card and text me her pin so that I could pull money out for her while I'm out on erands. In this situation I'm standing in front of an ATM using it for it's intended purpose holding a bulky tablet with wires coming out of it AND COMMITTING NO CRIME! (imagine that) In this case, the police officer just carries on his merry way.

Anyway, if the officer decides it does look suspicious (Of what? fraud? vandalism? hacking? terrorism? I don't know what your scenario is supposed to imply) I would expect the officer to investigate. Perhaps by scoping out the surroundings and stepping out of her vehicle and standing in line behind the suspicious person to surveil them more closely. When the person has finished their business at the ATM and hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't streaming out of cash dispenser, the officer may introduce herself and assess the suspect further. If actual wrongdoing has been identified the officer may indicate to the suspect that he is being detained and follow typical police procedure for individuals being arrested.
So you saying that police should watch and don't interfere at all, unless they see money?

Last edited:
I'll bite.

But I think it would be more enlightening to hear what YOU think should happen to a guy minding his own business infront of an ATM machine with notebook open&running standing on it.
Fixed for you. No, giving my thoughts would ruin the whole point.
Well aren't you coy. I played your game but you don't want to play too? Look who's being passive aggressive.
I just know what actually happened and want to know what you think happened and how police and the guy should behave.
Anything you can do with a notebook you can do with a tablet. But are you saying this guy is standing and running around on top of a computer?
You have quite an imagination.
Ideally, the police officer sees something that is either suspicious or unsuspicious and procedes from there. I've had my wife hand me her atm card and text me her pin so that I could pull money out for her while I'm out on erands. In this situation I'm standing in front of an ATM using it for it's intended purpose holding a bulky tablet with wires coming out of it AND COMMITTING NO CRIME! (imagine that) In this case, the police officer just carries on his merry way.

Anyway, if the officer decides it does look suspicious (Of what? fraud? vandalism? hacking? terrorism? I don't know what your scenario is supposed to imply) I would expect the officer to investigate. Perhaps by scoping out the surroundings and stepping out of her vehicle and standing in line behind the suspicious person to surveil them more closely. When the person has finished their business at the ATM and hundreds of thousands of dollars aren't streaming out of cash dispenser, the officer may introduce herself and assess the suspect further. If actual wrongdoing has been identified the officer may indicate to the suspect that he is being detained and follow typical police procedure for individuals being arrested.
So you saying that police should watch and don't interfere at all, unless they see money?
I don't even know why you think the police should be interested in this guy at all. You are holding back on quite a few details. Unless an officer actually witnesses a crime or obvious indications of a crime I expect the police to not hassle citizens.
Does that answer your question?
Can you tell me what you think the police should do to someone minding their own business in front of an ATM now????

So you think two wrongs make a right?
No, but three lefts do.

No, what I am saying is that history of overreaction to this kind of thing defeats the claim that this all happened because he was "inventing while Muslim". He wasn't really inventing and there is no real reason to assume it happened because he was Muslim.

Why do you continue to belittle him? The sneer in your tone when you write "inventing while Muslim. He wasn't really inventing..." is palpable. It is that sort of thing (& usually far worse) that happens every.single.time the victim has brown skin. That plus the cop saying (paraphrasing) "Yep, I figured it was you" plus the continued over-reaction of the school officials are reasons a lot of people think his race/religion has something to do with this.

But for the record, and I've already said so earlier in this thread, that "zero-tolerance" is maximum stupidity. Find any thread I've participated in on the topic of zero-tolerance and you will find me speaking against the policy regardless of the color of the victim's skin.

You are barking up the wrong tree trying to imply that I am the one putting this entire incident down to racial/religious profiling. It is also hypocritical on your part given your continued belittling of the student that follows your well-established pattern in every other thread* when the victim is brown-skinned.

* Actually, I think there was one exception recently for a famous brown-skinned tennis player.

Fixed for you. No, giving my thoughts would ruin the whole point.
Well aren't you coy. I played your game but you don't want to play too? Look who's being passive aggressive.
without notebook part it's just a guy using ATM machine at 1am, what is so passive-aggressive about reminding about central detail of the story? If anybody is passive-agressive it is you who is sabotaging my game "forgetting" most important detail in it.
I just know what actually happened and want to know what you think happened and how police and the guy should behave.
Anything you can do with a notebook you can do with a tablet. But are you saying this guy is standing and running around on top of a computer?
You have quite an imagination.
I told you it's a real story, so no imagination is required, and it was not tablet they had not been "invented" yet.

I don't even know why you think the police should be interested in this guy at all.
So, nothing suspicious at all?
You are holding back on quite a few details. Unless an officer actually witnesses a crime or obvious indications of a crime I expect the police to not hassle citizens.
Does that answer your question?
Not really, you basically ruined the whole game :)
I can tell you that policeman in this story did not agree with your logic which basically says "Suspicious and unusual is not enough, you need to be sure crime is happening". I don't think any policeman would agree with you and you know that.

Can you tell me what you think the police should do to someone minding their own business in front of an ATM now????
Ask "What is it? pencil case? why is it beeping?" maybe? :)

So, Barbos. I ruined your game by answering your questions honestly? You didn't like my answer? Was it too reasonable for you? Maybe I didn't fit into the pigeon hole you thought I might? Why are you still being so coy? You don't like other people being passive aggressive but you hypocritically think it is okay for you?

Whatever dude. You ruined your own game when you started making assumptions.

So, Barbos. I ruined your game by answering your questions honestly?
You did no answer my questions honestly, and I am not surprised. I am used to leftists being dense when it suits them,
You didn't like my answer? Was it too reasonable for you? Maybe I didn't fit into the pigeon hole you thought I might? Why are you still being so coy? You don't like other people being passive aggressive but you hypocritically think it is okay for you?
I was not passive-agressive here, you were.
Whatever dude. You ruined your own game when you started making assumptions.
Yes I assumed you will play it honestly, I was wrong[/passive_agressive]

Nope, it's what I said it is - "hoax hoax bomb"

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny but you might be accidentally right here, it was not a "hoax bomb" it was a "hoax hoax bomb"

No, that would require someone to claim that they wanted to bring a hoax bomb to school and then not bring a hoax bomb to school.
Nope.
In this situation we have someone who claimed they wanted to bring a clock to school and then they brought a freaking clock to school.
Nope.
Your rebuttals are so compelling. I'm dazzled by your persuasive eloquence.:cool:
I rebutted it before you even posted.
The word hoax implies deception. There has NEVER been any deception demonstrated on the part of the boy. Why are you so convinced there are lies and deception going on? Your conspiracy theories play out the same as most other ridiculous conspiracy theories. He must be lying because otherwise, ... ? What?

--The authority figures you trusted would be placed in an embarrassing situation of making a mistake and then abusing their power?

Unfortunately, the authorities embarrass themselves regularly. They abuse their power regularly too.

Earth to conspiracy theorists everywhere. Talk about needing a reality check.

--The authority figures you trusted would be placed in an embarrassing situation of making a mistake and then abusing their power?

Unfortunately, the authorities embarrass themselves regularly. They abuse their power regularly too.

Beautifully stated.

Yes, these muslim conspiracy theorists who think police in US is busy plotting to get them are insane

Who said any about the police plotting to get anybody?
Ahmed in one of his interview complained about something like that.

So, no one here said it and Ahmed, the 14 year old kid who was arrested, handcuffed and held without counsel or his parents, complained about something like that.

So no one actually said it?

So, no one here said it and Ahmed, the 14 year old kid who was arrested, handcuffed and held without counsel or his parents, complained about something like that.

I want a link to a reputable source with a direct quote in context where Ahmed "complained about something like that"

I told you, Ahmed said the Police treated him badly because he was muslim.

OK here is where we started

barbos said:
Yes, these muslim conspiracy theorists who think police in US is busy plotting to get them are insane

And now we are here

"Yes, these muslim conspiracy theorists who think police in US is busy plotting to get them are insane."

and

"I told you, Ahmed said the Police treated him badly because he was muslim."

are not the same things.

so, who said any about the police plotting to get anybody?

Is the answer, no one?

barbos said:

And now we are here

"Yes, these muslim conspiracy theorists who think police in US is busy plotting to get them are insane."

and

are not the same things.

Is the answer, no one?
I am impressed.
If you are so smart why do you still subscribe to "It was not a bomb" meme?

barbos said:

And now we are here

and

are not the same things.

Is the answer, no one?
As one example:

The ACLU, a very left leaning organization, asserts:
.Since at least 2002, the New York City Police Department’s Intelligence Division has engaged in the religious profiling and suspicionless surveillance of Muslims in New York City and beyond.

.The NYPD’s Intelligence Division has singled out Muslim religious and community leaders, mosques, student associations, organizations, businesses, and individuals for pervasive surveillance that is discriminatory and not conducted against institutions or individuals belonging to any other religious faith, or the public at large.

.The Intelligence Division units engaged in the NYPD’s Muslim surveillance program include its Demographics Unit, renamed the Zone Assessment Unit; the Intelligence Analysis Unit; the Cyber Intelligence Unit; and the Terrorist Interdiction Unit.

ETA:
oops. I left out the link.

https://www.aclu.org/factsheet-nypd-muslim-surveillance-program

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=24&v=A4KOW92fbSM[/YOUTUBE]
Still no comments from leftists? How predictable.

The ACLU, a very left leaning organization, asserts:
.Since at least 2002, the New York City Police Department’s Intelligence Division has engaged in the religious profiling and suspicionless surveillance of Muslims in New York City and beyond.

.The NYPD’s Intelligence Division has singled out Muslim religious and community leaders, mosques, student associations, organizations, businesses, and individuals for pervasive surveillance that is discriminatory and not conducted against institutions or individuals belonging to any other religious faith, or the public at large.

.The Intelligence Division units engaged in the NYPD’s Muslim surveillance program include its Demographics Unit, renamed the Zone Assessment Unit; the Intelligence Analysis Unit; the Cyber Intelligence Unit; and the Terrorist Interdiction Unit.
I believe it was supposed to be directed at me.
Yes they were spying on muslims in 2002 and later I presume.
Since then we learned they spy on everybody :)
And spying != trying to get them.
"Trying to get" means harassing, etc. Police does not engage in that.
Anyway, I am tired of trying to get local leftists to engage in rational discussion. Seems the only thing they would gladly engage is this endless attacking each other.
I did not mean Ahmed was literally a conspiracy theorist, I merely responded in kind to insinuation that I was a conspiracy theorist,
At the same time it's clear that the 14 year old was coached by his family (father) on the topic.

So what? Your posts look like they came from an ignorant Islamophobic jackass. That doesn't make it so or relevant.

So what? Your posts look like they came from an ignorant Islamophobic jackass. That doesn't make it so or relevant.
Nice, you seem to be under impression that if you call your opponents (these students included) Islamophobic jackasses you will somehow win the argument?

Back
Top Bottom