• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

* But in case you're curious, here's what they did:

Taking home the $50,000 grand prize was Olivia Hallisey, 16, from Connecticut. Moved by the lives lost in Africa to the Ebola outbreak in 2014, she devised a rapid, portable and inexpensive diagnostic test for the detection of the virus. Hallisey says she was inspired to become a scientist by her late grandfather, a doctor and medical researcher and one day hopes to work for a global health organization such as Doctors Without Borders.

Also receiving awards were Girish Kumar, 17 of Singapore, who came up with a way to automatically generate review questions for students from online textbooks; Krtin Nithiyanandam, 14 of Surrey, England, who designed a diagnostic tool to detect Alzheimer's at earlier stages in the disease; Pranav Sivakumar, 15 of Aurora, Illinois who invented an automated method for finding and characterizing gravitationally lensed quasars; Anurudh Ganesan, 15 of Clarksburg, Md., who designed a more reliable way to transport vaccines to remote locations in developing countries; Deepika Kurup, 17 of Nashua, NH, devised a filtration system to remove toxins from drinking water; Lalita Prasida Sripada Srisai, 13 from India, came up with an inexpensive way to clean waste water by flowing it through corn cobs; and Eliott Sarrey,14 from Maron, France, who built a robot that when controlled by a smartphone can tend vegetable gardens.
Yeah, sure. But can any of them take the parts out of a digital clock's case? After all, there are likely screws that need to be removed.

I think a better question is, did any of them ever do something similar when they were first starting out? Did they ever take apart a clock or a computer or a cell phone and put it back together? Did they ever case mod anything? I think the reason they are sharing the stage with him is because they support his endeavors, and are against his being arrested, suspended from school, and attacked by cretins for wanting to show his teacher how his clock turned out.

I think a better question is, did any of them ever do something similar when they were first starting out? Did they ever take apart a clock or a computer or a cell phone and put it back together?
They are not that much older than him, one is 14 like him. And no, no one among them ever called what he did an "invention".
The guy brings DVD player guts to "Good Morning America", smiles and says "I invented media player".
What the fuck?
Did they ever case mod anything? I think the reason they are sharing the stage with him is because they support his endeavors,
No, they don't, they don't know this story.
and are against his being arrested, suspended from school, and attacked by cretins for wanting to show his teacher how his clock turned out.
That's what they were most likely told. Unfortunately cretin in this story is this clock boy and of course leftists.

They are not that much older than him, one is 14 like him. And no, no one among them ever called what he did an "invention".
The guy brings DVD player guts to "Good Morning America", smiles and says "I invented media player".
What the fuck?
Did they ever case mod anything? I think the reason they are sharing the stage with him is because they support his endeavors,
and are against his being arrested, suspended from school, and attacked by cretins for wanting to show his teacher how his clock turned out.
That's what they were most likely told. Unfortunately cretin in this story is this clock boy and of course leftists.

Hey, so I only just started posting consistently again, but is English your second language?

He's not "special'. He's not special, either. He's pretty ordinary for a 14 year old interested in robotics.

As for being passed off as Usain Bolt, the only people I see doing it are being sarcastic. It's a strawman argument, and a pretty nasty one at that. I don't know why people are attacking the kid on a personal level like this. It makes no sense. If you want to criticize people for giving the kid too much credit, go after the ones giving him too much credit. Don't keep attacking the kid.

It makes perfect sense when you note the color of his skin. People with no better argument keep insisting that it is "leftists" making this about race, but it isn't. It is too many of the same people defending the overboard actions of the police that are making it about race, and they are doing it the same way they always do it in theses cases - by attacking and slandering the brown-skinned victim.

This case is absolutely about the stupidity of "zero-tolerance" policies. It may be about race/religion in that one of the police officers may have made a racist comment and the mayor most certainly has. It is about race/religion in the reactions of those on the right.

What the fuck?

Hey, so I only just started posting consistently again, but is English your second language?
If I recall correctly, he is a Russian emigrant. So yes, English would be his second language or maybe his third or fourth language.

He didn't build it, he took it out of a 1970s table clock casing and claimed he built it.

That depends on how you define the term "build". Do people in Mexico build Dodge trucks, or do they just take parts out of shipping containers and stick them into truck shaped housings?

It was a hoax device, that he knew could look threatening (he said so).

You have no evidence it was a hoax device. None.

And from what I have read about the interviews with the police, the cops kept asking him if he understood that some people might think it looked threatening until he agreed with them. He did not say he personally thought it looked threatening, or that he intended it to look threatening.
I take it you know this kid personally, and he told you all this? [emoji10]

He's not "special'. He's not special, either. He's pretty ordinary for a 14 year old interested in robotics.

As for being passed off as Usain Bolt, the only people I see doing it are being sarcastic. It's a strawman argument, and a pretty nasty one at that. I don't know why people are attacking the kid on a personal level like this. It makes no sense. If you want to criticize people for giving the kid too much credit, go after the ones giving him too much credit. Don't keep attacking the kid.

It makes perfect sense when you note the color of his skin. People with no better argument keep insisting that it is "leftists" making this about race, but it isn't. It is too many of the same people defending the overboard actions of the police that are making it about race, and they are doing it the same way they always do it in theses cases - by attacking and slandering the brown-skinned victim.

This case is absolutely about the stupidity of "zero-tolerance" policies. It may be about race/religion in that one of the police officers may have made a racist comment and the mayor most certainly has. It is about race/religion in the reactions of those on the right.
Overreaction by right wing cops? What if it was a bomb and it blew up killing and maiming innocent people?
The cops/authorities would still be blamed by leftist for not taking any action when they had ample time to nab it in the bud.

His father is a Sufi. The idea that a Sufi would tell his son to bring a hoax bomb to school to provoke... who know what ... is laughable. Sufism is a mystical, introspective sect that rejects worldly affairs and strives for a personal relationship with their god. Indeed, they have been persecuted and marginalized by the same Salafists who are in conflict with the West.

His father is a Sufi. The idea that a Sufi would tell his son to bring a hoax bomb to school to provoke... who know what ... is laughable. Sufism is a mystical, introspective sect that rejects worldly affairs and strives for a personal relationship with their god. Indeed, they have been persecuted and marginalized by the same Salafists who are in conflict with the West.

People can still hold contradictory beliefs regardless of what they practice, so that might not necessarily be a good argument.

You expect police to know that?
Even if policeman have PhD in muslim studies you expect him to believe the boy would not lie about his father affiliation?
And how is running for president of Sudan consistent with Sufism?
please be short, no more than 50 pages of analysis.

People can still hold contradictory beliefs regardless of what they practice, so that might not necessarily be a good argument.

Yep. What's laughable is to think that its impossible for someone of a particular religion to not behave hypocritically or against the tenants of their faith. There are scumbags to be found in all races and religions.

Overreaction by right wing cops? What if it was a bomb and it blew up killing and maiming innocent people?....
The police knew very quickly it was not a bomb. No one here has written that even if it had been a bomb or been suspected as a bomb that the police had no business reacting the way they did. Hence your entire response is predicated on an impossible scenario.

Overreaction by right wing cops? What if it was a bomb and it blew up killing and maiming innocent people?....
The police knew very quickly it was not a bomb. No one here has written that even if it had been a bomb or been suspected as a bomb that the police had no business reacting the way they did. Hence your entire response is predicated on an impossible scenario.
Remove your idealistic glasses please!! The fact is that up to 95% of terrorist attacks on the planet are by the followers of Islam!

Back
Top Bottom