• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I'll admit I find Ivanka quite attractive, and Lauren Boebert too. But I know they possess very black hearts. I have no desire to get anywhere near those two.
Yeah. What's inside is far more important than what's outside.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
The Loudermilk video.

I was informed the first guy in the video with the "flag pole" is acrually carrying a bang stick. It's used on sharks or alligators before you pull them into the boat, basically a shotgun shell that goes off when poked into the animal.

Frankly I see little difference between these guys and the guy that wanted to kill SCJ Kavenaugh.

Really? The guy who was arrested for threats against Kavanaugh called police to tell them that he wanted to Jill himself and to kill Kavanaugh. He’s clearly mentally I’ll but not so far gone as to not realize what he was doing was wrong—he called the police. I hope he gets the help he needs.

The capitol krew, on the other hand, are disaffected, dissatisfied and easily duped idiots who belong to a cult and were willing to assassinate the VP and possibly several members of Congress to ingratiate themselves to their dear leader, who regarded them as less than dirt beneath their feet. Certainly a degree of mental illness is surely involved but they did try to overturn an election and the nation.

Even if I liked or respected Kavanaugh, there’s a huge difference in intent and scale and scope.

I agree; It’s one thing to act against the people who have power in your system of government, but quite another to act against the system of government itself.

Killing the President (or even a Supreme Court Justice) doesn’t change much; The system has protocols in place to handle assassinations, accidents, acts of war, etc., etc., and the vacancies are re-filled accordingly. It sucks for the victim’s family and friends, but the system is bigger than any of its office holders.

Killing the system, (for example by simply rejecting the entire process by which a President is selected, and trying to impose a President who lost, in place of the one who won) is far more damaging to the country than killing the winner.

That’s why those whose role is to protect the nation swear to uphold the constitution, and don’t swear to obey the President.

Presidents come and go. The system, the constitution, is what makes the nation what it is. I am no great fan of the USA, but I am damn sure it’s better than whatever the Jan 6 insurrectionists want(ed) to replace it with.

I disagree that killing. President doesn’t change much—we’ve had a couple of assassinations that very likely altered the course of our history in very big ways. Which was the point. Not that the assassinations achieved the desired means, with the exception of Lincoln’s assassination. That dramatically harmed reconstruction and inflicted even more damage to the US leaving vestigages that continue today.

Sure, but there’s a big difference between cheating to win the game, and dynamiting the stadium so that nobody can ever play against you again.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
The Loudermilk video.

I was informed the first guy in the video with the "flag pole" is acrually carrying a bang stick. It's used on sharks or alligators before you pull them into the boat, basically a shotgun shell that goes off when poked into the animal.

Frankly I see little difference between these guys and the guy that wanted to kill SCJ Kavenaugh.

Really? The guy who was arrested for threats against Kavanaugh called police to tell them that he wanted to Jill himself and to kill Kavanaugh. He’s clearly mentally I’ll but not so far gone as to not realize what he was doing was wrong—he called the police. I hope he gets the help he needs.

The capitol krew, on the other hand, are disaffected, dissatisfied and easily duped idiots who belong to a cult and were willing to assassinate the VP and possibly several members of Congress to ingratiate themselves to their dear leader, who regarded them as less than dirt beneath their feet. Certainly a degree of mental illness is surely involved but they did try to overturn an election and the nation.

Even if I liked or respected Kavanaugh, there’s a huge difference in intent and scale and scope.

I agree; It’s one thing to act against the people who have power in your system of government, but quite another to act against the system of government itself.

Killing the President (or even a Supreme Court Justice) doesn’t change much; The system has protocols in place to handle assassinations, accidents, acts of war, etc., etc., and the vacancies are re-filled accordingly. It sucks for the victim’s family and friends, but the system is bigger than any of its office holders.

Killing the system, (for example by simply rejecting the entire process by which a President is selected, and trying to impose a President who lost, in place of the one who won) is far more damaging to the country than killing the winner.

That’s why those whose role is to protect the nation swear to uphold the constitution, and don’t swear to obey the President.

Presidents come and go. The system, the constitution, is what makes the nation what it is. I am no great fan of the USA, but I am damn sure it’s better than whatever the Jan 6 insurrectionists want(ed) to replace it with.

I disagree that killing. President doesn’t change much—we’ve had a couple of assassinations that very likely altered the course of our history in very big ways. Which was the point. Not that the assassinations achieved the desired means, with the exception of Lincoln’s assassination. That dramatically harmed reconstruction and inflicted even more damage to the US leaving vestigages that continue today.

Sure, but there’s a big difference between cheating to win the game, and dynamiting the stadium so that nobody can ever play against you again.

Sure, but killing a sitting POTUS is actually an attempt to disrupt more than the presidency. Exceptions, of course, for the madmen who have done it, with no apparent political motive.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
I don't have the patience to watch the unabridged hearings. But I catch some excerpts or synopses on YouTube, like this one. This video really sums up the character of the T***p Administration.

Wow! Recall Jared Kushner, the low-IQ guy whose father is a slumlord like F⁠uckface von Clownstick and went to prison. Jared married Princess `Daddy-wants-to-Fuck-me' Ivanka and, despite his moron-level IQ was given charge of (a) Peace in the Middle East, (b) Climate change, (c) the Covid pandemic, (d) Reinventing government, (e) the Budget, and more.

Anyway, the Committee asked Jared about his conversations with W.H. lawyers who were threatening to resign if President von Clownstick continued to break the law. Jared's answer? He thought they were just "whining" and was "too busy" to take their phone calls anyway. Busy? Was he working on the pandemic? Peace in the Middle East? Reinventing government? Nope. He was feverishly "trying to get as many pardons done as possible."

I'm not on the Committee. My follow-on question would have been "Is it true that the going rate was $250,000 a pop? Did you offer a discount for families that needed TWO criminals pardoned?"

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This is what Trump is looking to do if he ever has the chance:

Trump tells "Faith & Freedom conference" he'd "be looking" at Pardons for 800+ Capitol Rioters
Addressing what is arguably the most authoritarian friendly demographic in the country, ‘Christian’ Nationalists, Trump spoke in fond terms about the Capitol rioters, then declared “I will be looking them very, very seriously for pardons, very, very seriously”. Yes pardons for his easily deluded thugs who violently attacked the Capitol at his urging, to stage a coup, and destroy our Constitutional Republic. All in favor of installing Trump as Dictator for Life. No doubt his adoring audience would welcome such a prospect.
noting
Aaron Rupar on Twitter: "Trump indicates he will pardon the January 6 defendants if he becomes POTUS again (vid link)" / Twitter

D Villella ❄️ on Twitter: "@atrupar But, it's "the left" who doesn't understand right from wrong? (link)" / Twitter
noting
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 on Twitter: "Trump says for people on the Left, politics “has warped their sense of right and wrong. They don’t have a sense of right and wrong.” (vid link)" / Twitter

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
So far today, the testimony has been "is there anyone up in here other than Trump and Eastman who thinks the VP can reject the electors?"

Answer: "No."

Trump camp: "But seriously, can he do this?"

"No. Actually, no."

Trump camp: "No, but really...can't he just throw the election for Trump?"

"I don't know if you heard me the first time, but no. In fact, hell no."

Trump camp: "Listen, I'm just saying..."

"Let me be clear: Fuck no."

Trump camp: "Great. So we'll go with demanding VP Pence reject the electors."

"Oh FFS."

Trump: "Just say there were irregularities in the voting and leave the rest to us". OK, if we cannot legallly overturn this electil we will do it ilegally. Yeah baby!

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "“Proud Boys would have killed then-VP Pence, Speaker Pelosi, and other lawmakers if given the chance”
They got within 40 feet of Pence, before he hid in a garage bunker.
Let that sink in. (link)" / Twitter

Kyle Griffin on Twitter: "Rep. Jamie Raskin, a member of the Jan. 6 Committee, on CNN: "New evidence is breaking every single day now. Suddenly a lot of people want to tell the truth."" / Twitter
Good. I hope that they can get the bulk of such evidence before November, when the Democrats may lose the House.

AOC tears up on Instagram Live recounts Trump's 'attempted coup' January 6 Capitol riot hearing | Daily Mail Online

"Appearing visibly upset and angry as she laid blame with the Republican Party who she said 'have only committed hard to the lie' that event was not organized"

Like Republican congresspeople seeking pardons *before* the insurrection, knowing what they were about to do. She said that Trump was willing to look all the way down the hierarchy to a "coffee fetcher" to find someone who would support his coup effort.

She then noted that Trump didn't deliver on some of his promised pardons, meaning that some of his underlings are in jail for their coup efforts. She said that Trump "only cares about himself", implying that he was not worth following. Then noting Lauren Boebert live-tweeting House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's location.

She then claimed that Congress had failed to pass legislation for insuring that coups like this one don't happen again.

She said about Republicans that they were the most truthful during the event and just after it, but that they later became more and more willing to whitewash that coup attempt and to defend it. She noted that 21 Republicans voted against awarding the Capitol cops a gold medal.

She described being warned on the day before that some big trouble was going to happen that day, like being warned to wear plain clothes. She then saw some of the rioters the day before the attacks, and said that it was a "myth" that they are "poor white working-class people". They arrived in private jets and they were staying at "bougie hotels" and they had resources.

The video itself is also at:
Video: AOC reacts to the testimony before the January 6th Committee | Daily Mail Online

Ryan Grim's summary:
Ryan Grim on Twitter: ".@AOC on instagram live now: "This was an attempted coup of the United States of America."
Notes Trump was going to fire everybody until he found a "coffee fetcher" who'd back his coup. "He sent his own people to jail...He will not save you."" / Twitter

then
Ryan Grim on Twitter: ""Let's dispense with this myth that these were poor white working class people. They were staying at bougie hotels. They were going to happy hour. They had resources."" / Twitter

CNN on Twitter: ""When you don't know which of your colleagues were part of a potential conspiracy, then we need to find out…"
Rep. @AOC tells @DanaBashCNN why she tweeted at GOP colleagues directly, asking if they requested pardons following the Capitol attack on January 6. @CNNSotu #CNNSOTU (vid link)" / Twitter

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Republicans, and Republicans only, tried to deny the Congressional Gold Medal to these officers. These were the members (1/2): (pic link)" / Twitter
Those GOP lawmakers included Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Andy Harris (Md.), Lance Gooden (Tex.), Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.), Louie Gohmert (Tex.), Michael Cloud (Tex.), Andrew S. Clyde (Ga.), Greg Steube (Fla.), Bob Good (Va.) and John Rose (Tenn.).
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "And here are the rest: (pic link)" / Twitter
But the number of opposing votes grew, with 10 other House Republicans switching their votes from "yes" to "no."

Those Republicans are Reps. Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Barry Moore (Ala.), Ralph Norman (S.C.), Matthew M. Rosendale (Mont.), Chip Roy (Tex.), Paul A. Gosar (Ariz.), Warren Davidson (Ohio), Scott Perry (Pa.), Jody Hice (Ga.) and Mary Miller (Ill.).

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Look at this footage. @laurenboebert was tweeting the Speaker’s location as this was all happening.

When I spoke of my fear of being raped again while locked in my office bathroom, @TuckerCarlson mocked it. So did Boebert. @NancyMace insinuated to her supporters it was a lie. (vid link)" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I remember having a confrontation with Mace after what she did. I’m not even going to discuss it right now, but I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "In the days and weeks after the attack, right-wingers tried to downplay what happened. They said it was small. They accused us of lying by saying the attack was “only” @ the dome.
No. They were everywhere. The screams were everywhere.
This is what American terrorism looks like. (vid link)" / Twitter

and
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Good Lord. The way it all comes rushing back into the body. It’s like it’s that day all over again. #January6thCommitteeHearings (vid link)" / Twitter
and
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Wow. This hearing. #January6thCommitteeHearings" / Twitter

TLK Valentine

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
JR wants to abolish the Electoral College because it involves some procedures that are vulnerable to sabotage, like the choosing of electors and the counting of votes. Sabotage like what some of Trump's supporters planned for 2021 January 6.
I want the electoral college removed because it's undemocratic.

The electoral college does have an advantage -- there's no need for a runoff election, and no way a losing candidate can demand a nationwide recount. Imagine the chaos if that wasn't the case!

I'd propose a compromise -- keep the electoral college, but require every state to split their electoral votes in the same way that Maine and Nebraska do, so that the electoral votes more closely reflect the popular vote.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
JR wants to abolish the Electoral College because it involves some procedures that are vulnerable to sabotage, like the choosing of electors and the counting of votes. Sabotage like what some of Trump's supporters planned for 2021 January 6.

The electoral college does have an advantage -- there's no need for a runoff election, and no way a losing candidate can demand a nationwide recount. Imagine the chaos if that wasn't the case!

I'd propose a compromise -- keep the electoral college, but require every state to split their electoral votes in the same way that Maine and Nebraska do, so that the electoral votes more closely reflect the popular vote.
You mean allow states to take advantage of gerrymandered redistricting and apply it to the Electoral College?!

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated

Uh. Trump the Loser demanded all that and more.

TLK Valentine

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

You mean allow states to take advantage of gerrymandered redistricting and apply it to the Electoral College?!

It's a risk, but the alternative is worse:

Imagine that a candidate who happens to be a narcissistic megalomaniac (we'll call him "Donald" strictly for the sake of argument) loses the popular vote and insists that he's been cheated. How long would the nationwide recount that Donald would demand actually take? How about the second one he would demand? The third?

The electoral votes would be divided according to the statewide popular vote; there's no way to change those numbers. The Congressional districts can be used to determine which electors vote for whom, but the numbers must be reflective of the statewide totals, or the feds will hear about it.

TLK Valentine

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

Uh. Trump the Loser demanded all that and more.

And he didn't get it. Instead, he was laughed out of one state court after another, giving us all some much needed hilarity following a tense election.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

It's a risk, but the alternative is worse:
It isn't a risk, it is already done!
Imagine that a candidate who happens to be a narcissistic megalomaniac (we'll call him "Donald" strictly for the sake of argument) loses the popular vote and insists that he's been cheated. How long would the nationwide recount that Donald would demand actually take? How about the second one he would demand? The third?

The electoral votes would be divided according to the statewide popular vote; there's no way to change those numbers. The Congressional districts can be used to determine which electors vote for whom, but the numbers must be reflective of the statewide totals, or the feds will hear about it.
You could in theory have made it easier to cheat, as the GOP would have the EVs guaranteed and simply look in smaller pockets of closer districts to pluck EVs from.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Now we are learning how DC centralized the organization for the fake electors scheme (gifted) was. Not only did it come from DC, it was thoroughly vetted by the Trump campaign lawyers and advisors, with some suggesting it'd be tough to pull off based on state law requirements. Ultimately, Eastman declared the mere existence of the second slate of electors was enough to put it into question in the US Congress, regardless if one slate wasn't remotely certified or even created legally.
article said:
At the time, the gatherings seemed a slapdash, desperate attempt to mimic President Donald Trump’s refusal to concede.

But internal campaign emails and memos reveal that the convening of the fake electors appeared to be a much more concerted strategy, intended to give Vice President Mike Pence a reason to declare the outcome of the election was somehow in doubt on Jan. 6, 2021, when he was to preside over the congressional counting of the electoral college votes.
They knew the election wasn't stolen, they knew fake electors weren't legitimate, but they moved forward with it anyway, to steal an election.

jonatha

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

IIRC no historical Presidential election would have changed had this system been in place.

(I still like it, but only if there's a constitutionally mandated algorithm for redistricting to eliminate political gerrymandering...)

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Now we are learning how DC centralized the organization for the fake electors scheme (gifted) was. Not only did it come from DC, it was thoroughly vetted by the Trump campaign lawyers and advisors, with some suggesting it'd be tough to pull off based on state law requirements. Ultimately, Eastman declared the mere existence of the second slate of electors was enough to put it into question in the US Congress, regardless if one slate wasn't remotely certified or even created legally.
article said:
At the time, the gatherings seemed a slapdash, desperate attempt to mimic President Donald Trump’s refusal to concede.

But internal campaign emails and memos reveal that the convening of the fake electors appeared to be a much more concerted strategy, intended to give Vice President Mike Pence a reason to declare the outcome of the election was somehow in doubt on Jan. 6, 2021, when he was to preside over the congressional counting of the electoral college votes.
They knew the election wasn't stolen, they knew fake electors weren't legitimate, but they moved forward with it anyway, to steal an election.
Correct. To steal an election. It was also a great fund raiser for Trump. He scammed over 250 million from his followers to fight the election outcome.

Gun Nut

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
None
I'll admit I find Ivanka quite attractive, and Lauren Boebert too. But I know they possess very black hearts. I have no desire to get anywhere near those two.
I find her repulsive outside BECAUSE I have a notion of what is inside. I'm not Jack Black in Shallow Hal, but she is such a piece of garbage that it is impossible for me to see her as desirable in any way.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
I find her repulsive outside BECAUSE I have a notion of what is inside. I'm not Jack Black in Shallow Hal, but she is such a piece of garbage that it is impossible for me to see her as desirable in any way.

Boebert? I look at her and wonder if she actually made any real money as an "escort." She reminds me of someone I worked with at the store a couple years ago during the pandemic. I found out that she made money on the side with her "Only Fans" page, and I thought "okay...I guess some guys are into that." She eventually left (or was fired) and wound up doing that full-time with her tweaker boyfriend, but I digress...

When we last left the hearings, we learned that Eastman basically said "I don't care if it's illegal and unconstitutional...can't we do it anyway?" I suspect there will be more along the same lines today, and the right will respond with "but maybe we should be more concerned about the price at the pump?"

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I just watched the SOS of Arizona testify. He did an excellent job of describing how Trump, Eastman, and I think a few others asked him to change the results of the election by sending in a different set of electors. He asked them for evidence. They kept saying there was evidence of fraud and dead people voting but they never provided any evidence. He kept telling them that it would be illegal for him to do what they were asking and he intended to do what his roll as SOS demanded. He even mentioned his religious faith, proclaiming something like it would be wrong to go against God, by lying etc Too bad the other Christian Republicans don't follow the teachings of their Good Book, when it comes to lying.

He mentioned that he and his family have been targets of repeated threats etc. It got so bad at one point, that they couldn't work do to all of the interruptions.

It's sad that so many people still believe Trump's lies. Still, it good to see one more honest Republican, as they are so rare these days.

Now, the SOS chief operating officer of Georgia is testifying. Gotta go watch him.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Georgia SOS in on the stand now. They are playing the phone calls from Trump. He literally threatened the SOS and his lawyer, with claims that they knew they were counting illegal votes. I had not heard some of these calls before. They were worse than I previously thought. I just wish Republicans would watch these hearings. Trump claims he won Georgia by over 400,000 votes. WTF!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Now, an election worker in Fulton County is on the stand. She is talking about all of the threats she received from Trump and his supporters. They even threatened her and her mother with prison. Many of the threats were very racist. She was scared and felt as if she was a failure. Her mother also testified and she still feels very nervous and frightened by what transpired. The FBI told the two women that they needed to leave their home until after the inauguration for heir own safety. This is so outrageous. I do wonder how difficult it will be to find election workers in Fulton County this fall.

I think that probably pretty much sums up today's hearing, assuming the two women are the final witnesses for today. I had no idea that these women were directly threatened by Trump. It's all been recorded. How can anyone still support this horrible man is beyond me!

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
After today it is undeniable there was a conspiracy of many with Trump at the top to take over the governemt.

As bay boomer born into an optimistic American culture it s disheartening. It s disheartening to see the scope of the comspirtocy and how high the conspirators are in the system.

Thankully they were inept eld by an inept Trump, the system held, and there were enough republican true patriots who said no that made a differnce

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
The threats were also directed against the election workers mother and grandmother…,

Extremely upsetting to hear of the personal threats directed towards the family if the AZ SOS while their daughter was dying in their home! And against not only election workers but their elderly mother/grandmother.

Artemus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist and general cynic
The CNN summary includes
CNN said:
After Michigan State Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, a Republican, told Trump that he would not break the law to keep Trump in office, he said Trump posted Shirkey’s personal phone number for his millions of followers on Facebook, urging them to contact him and demand he decertify Michigan’s election results.

This and the Georgia phone call are critical because there is absolutely no way to deny that Trump was directly involved. (Can't claim "rogue attorneys freelancing.) How can these be interpreted as anything other than conspiracy to defraud the United States of America???

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
He was caught making with quid quo pro'ing it with the Ukrainian leader. And well.. *sigh*

Truth doesn't matter with Trump. He creates these alternate realities that have this terrible tendency of sticking... regardless how fake they are.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
Truth doesn't matter with Trump. He creates these alternate realities that have this terrible tendency of sticking... regardless how fake they are.
I suspect Trump is a symptom and not a cause. Say 3% of Americans are not just Trump supporters, but also believe in his style of playing politics as completely legitimate. And when I say believe, I mean fanatically. That's nearly 10 million dedicated highly motivated disciples who want to see their way come into being whatever it takes. Trump didn't create this, he was simply the first Republican to say the quiet part out loud and tap into that group.

Which means unfortunately, no matter what the outcome of this committee is, this will happen again. Going after Trump is very much like arresting the bomber and leaving all the explosives behind with the front door unlocked.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
The threats were also directed against the election workers mother and grandmother…,

Extremely upsetting to hear of the personal threats directed towards the family if the AZ SOS while their daughter was dying in their home! And against not only election workers but their elderly mother/grandmother.
She and her mother should sue the lot of them into oblivion.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I suspect Trump is a symptom and not a cause. Say 3% of Americans are not just Trump supporters, but also believe in his style of playing politics as completely legitimate. And when I say believe, I mean fanatically. That's nearly 10 million dedicated highly motivated disciples who want to see their way come into being whatever it takes. Trump didn't create this, he was simply the first Republican to say the quiet part out loud and tap into that group.

Which means unfortunately, no matter what the outcome of this committee is, this will happen again. Going after Trump is very much like arresting the bomber and leaving all the explosives behind with the front door unlocked.
Truths in there. But Trump specifically has made it a career of creating a persona and image based on one series of lies after the other.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
With the Justice Department and Jan. 6 committee taking a close look at Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 election, he and his cronies could certainly use a fall guy, and it looks like they’ve found their patsy: right-wing lawyer John Eastman.
That's where the paywall hit.

Eastman is a smart guy. He should have seen this coming.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

This. His Flatulence was the nutcase in charge, but he's not the driving force.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
And why would you make this claim? You are saying a segment of the population is responsible for Orange's behavior?
I would say no one is responsible for Trump's behaviour except Grown Up Joffrey Cunt himself.

I would also say a significant segment of the USA's population enabled and empowered him because that is what they believe in down to their core. Anything to own the libs etc.

The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Ford

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Godless Heathen
I just watched the SOS of Arizona testify. He did an excellent job of describing how Trump, Eastman, and I think a few others asked him to change the results of the election by sending in a different set of electors. He asked them for evidence. They kept saying there was evidence of fraud and dead people voting but they never provided any evidence. He kept telling them that it would be illegal for him to do what they were asking and he intended to do what his roll as SOS demanded. He even mentioned his religious faith, proclaiming something like it would be wrong to go against God, by lying etc Too bad the other Christian Republicans don't follow the teachings of their Good Book, when it comes to lying.

He mentioned that he and his family have been targets of repeated threats etc. It got so bad at one point, that they couldn't work do to all of the interruptions.

It's sad that so many people still believe Trump's lies. Still, it good to see one more honest Republican, as they are so rare these days.

Now, the SOS chief operating officer of Georgia is testifying. Gotta go watch him.
I'm watching Rep. Bowers testify. Minor quibble...he's not Secretary of State, but rather the Speaker of the House in Arizona.

That said, while I disagree with his policy positions, I'm glad that he decided to testify. For context, there are a few Republicans left in this state's government who are deeply conservative, voted for Trump, but at the same time called bullshit on the claims of fraud. One is Stephen Richer, the current Maricopa County Recorder. Others include members of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors. Unfortunately, there are the likes of Paul Gosar, Kelli Ward, and candidate and current nutjob Kari Lake who are trying to steer the once "maverick" Arizona GOP off a cliff.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist

This. His Flatulence was the nutcase in charge, but he's not the driving force.
Social media is the driving force. Trump is just the first to exploit social media for political means and utilize the group polarization it creates in identity politics.
Does this make him an evil genius? No. It makes him the first huckster in the right place at the right time. Enough people were active on social media and formed up in their political groups reinforcing their long held beliefs and being pulled away from their individual beliefs and into the group’s beliefs. That is, further to the right and further to the left than the individual may have normally been.
Remember after the 2016 elections the stories of how the Republicans better utilized social media than the Democrats in reaching their voters? And guess what dumbass was standing on stage with the unique ability to speak to the angry voters who never quite made The American Dream work for them? With all his terrible character traits, his lack of knowledge, and biases against all things not White America, he spoke to them. And I’ve heard it on more than one occasion: “He thinks like us”. Yes he does.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
His Flatulence was the nutcase in charge, but he's not the driving force.
And why would you make this claim? You are saying a segment of the population is responsible for Orange's behavior?
Trump's behaviour was irrelevant until 62,985,153 voters made him POTUS in 2016.
Tell that to his debt holders. And those he fooled into investing in his failed casino venture. The other owners in the USFL which was catching as Spring league.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
America has always been bout that cash yo. Claimed independence over it, enslaved Africans because of it, & voted a dickhead into its high office for it.
Trump was elected because of white supremacism, not cash.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
America has always been bout that cash yo. Claimed independence over it, enslaved Africans because of it, & voted a dickhead into its high office for it.

The white supremacists are the minority. The Majority of Trump supporters are a combination of people dealing with some level of poverty and living with unfounded concerns about threats to their way of life (like gun ownership and Christian values).

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs

The white supremacists are the minority. The Majority of Trump supporters are a combination of people dealing with some level of poverty and living with unfounded concerns about threats to their way of life (like gun ownership and Christian values).
Those people at the capital on January 6th didn't appear to be impoverished.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The white supremacists are the minority.
Minority, yes. Small minority? No. The one's wearing hoods, small group. The evangelicals? Much much larger. We learned with 2016 that there were a few types of Republicans: racist evangelicals, evangelicals that'd sell their souls to the devil for courts to rule over sex, hyper-partisans, and a few of them are actually principled conservatives.

The Majority of Trump supporters are a combination of people dealing with some level of poverty and living with unfounded concerns about threats to their way of life (like gun ownership and Christian values).
No. No. And No. What we learned on January 6th, which consisted of a lot of middle to upper class white people, a lot of white people are sick of no longer being the defacto owners of America by default. Yes, Trump has support among the poor, but he has a good deal of support among not poor white people as well. It has little to do with economics and much more to do with race. These opinions have been cultivated by the right-wing since Nixon's adoption of the Southern Strategy and things really got going with Limbaugh and then Fox News. Things are so bad, these people think Fox News is part of the MSM and they need Newsmax or OANN.

Hermit

Cantankerous grump
Trump's behaviour was irrelevant until 62,985,153 voters made him POTUS in 2016.
Tell that to his debt holders. And those he fooled into investing in his failed casino venture. The other owners in the USFL which was catching as Spring league.
They may not have been among the 62,985,153 voters who made him POTUS in 2016, so there's no need of telling them.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
They may not have been among the 62,985,153 voters who made him POTUS in 2016, so there's no need of telling them.
You said "Trump's behaviour was irrelevant" until the 2016 election, but that wasn't true. His actions had ad consequences before that. When he won the electoral college in 2016, he would just end up breaking the next thing he touched, as per the norm.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
The white supremacists are the minority.
Minority, yes. Small minority? No. The one's wearing hoods, small group. The evangelicals? Much much larger. We learned with 2016 that there were a few types of Republicans: racist evangelicals, evangelicals that'd sell their souls to the devil for courts to rule over sex, hyper-partisans, and a few of them are actually principled conservatives.

The Majority of Trump supporters are a combination of people dealing with some level of poverty and living with unfounded concerns about threats to their way of life (like gun ownership and Christian values).
No. No. And No. What we learned on January 6th, which consisted of a lot of middle to upper class white people, a lot of white people are sick of no longer being the defacto owners of America by default. Yes, Trump has support among the poor, but he has a good deal of support among not poor white people as well. It has little to do with economics and much more to do with race. These opinions have been cultivated by the right-wing since Nixon's adoption of the Southern Strategy and things really got going with Limbaugh and then Fox News. Things are so bad, these people think Fox News is part of the MSM and they need Newsmax or OANN.

Every type of Trump supporter you've mentioned can be tied to a cash-driven purpose.

Many evangelicals are seeking financial blessings (prosperity) from the lord by voting according to what they believe God expects (like no abortion & gay sex).

White people, that are sick of no longer being defacto owners of America are seeking to hold on to what exactly? Hint, it's related to wealth.

Racism itself was and still is a tool used to exploit people for profit.

Top Bottom