• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Trump said:
“I don’t fucking care that they have weapons, they’re not here to hurt me. They’re not here to hurt me. Take the fucking mags [magnetometers] away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here; let the people in and take the mags away.”

Satisfying Brandenburg v. Ohio in that it produced "imminent lawless action".

And
Take the fucking mags [magnetometers] away.
moves
Fight like hell.
from being a political metaphor to being Incitement to Riot.

And all of this would and did Obstruct Congress.

And what is inciting a riot and obstructing congress but an Insurrection. And all that is needed now is contact between the White House and the rioters for a Seditious Conspiracy charge.

Now then, the DoJ must conclude that the decision to charge is in the interest of justice. Would it serve a substantial federal interest and do adequate alternatives to prosecution exist?
Federal interest: It would send a clear message that no one is above the law. Adequate alternatives: In that these are violent felonies where people were killed and injured, there is no alternative to prosecution and prison.

So says Lawfare.

I've complained in this thread about DoJ foot-dragging before, and this is exactly what I was talking about. It's not that the DoJ has to rush into hasty indictments without sufficient evidence. They are being extremely lazy if they think that they can sit back and let a congressional committee do their work for them. Merrick Garland has an obligation to pursue criminal investigations of this sort, and very little of what we are learning now about what happened on January 6 is new in terms of what has already been reported on earlier. The main news here is now that we have testimony under oath, and the Justice Department is upset that they didn't see it coming. They have more power than a legislative committee to secure that kind of testimony under oath. I suspect that they didn't pursue it, because they can't handle the truth and wish it would just go away.
Laziness or too much MAGA influence?

Actually, there are problems with prosecuting someone who is a declared candidate for POTUS.
This is true. Not impossible, but the political landmines are huge and complex.
Which, btw, is the only reason Don the Con would do so.
This is not true.
Trump can keep scooping up money until the election. From campaign donations to advertising dollars to selling Trump brand swag, as long as he keeps up the charade he can keep cashing in on "a sucker is born every minute" style ethics.
Tom
Dammit, I can't figure out to fix the quotes.
Upper right of the editor, []. It gives you raw BB code and lets you fix things that are unfixable with the WYSIWYG editor.

Raw Story reports Congressman Adam Kinzinger has announced since Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony, that on a daily basis lots of people have contacted the January 6 Committee to volunteer to testify. This is getting better by the day.
I certainly hope something substantial comes of her testimony. The big revelation is that she switched lawyers. Did any of us think all that grift money was going to pay lawyers that would help witnesses tow the line and not disclose important information? There isn't any law against the arrangement but it sure is revealing.
Toe.

Obedient people toe the line.

It’s originally a naval expression; Sailors who mustered smartly and obediently would make perfect ranks by ensuring that their toes were on the line marked on the deck. A sloppy crew would have ragged looking ranks, because they didn’t toe the line.

It has nothing to do with towing anything; And you don’t tow a line, you use a line to tow something else.

Raw Story reports Congressman Adam Kinzinger has announced since Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony, that on a daily basis lots of people have contacted the January 6 Committee to volunteer to testify. This is getting better by the day.
I certainly hope something substantial comes of her testimony. The big revelation is that she switched lawyers. Did any of us think all that grift money was going to pay lawyers that would help witnesses tow the line and not disclose important information? There isn't any law against the arrangement but it sure is revealing.
Toe.

It’s originally a naval expression; Sailors who mustered smartly and obediently would make perfect ranks by ensuring that their toes were on the line marked on the deck. A sloppy crew would have ragged looking ranks, because they didn’t toe the line.

It has nothing to do with towing anything; And you don’t tow a line, you use a line to tow something else.
It's the same way in army boot.

From raw story. A nice quote from Anthony Scarramuchi about Trump.

"On more than one occasion throughout the campaign he would turn to me and others and say funny things like, ‘Why can’t people realize what you guys realize about me, that I am playacting and full of it at least 50 percent of the time?’ That sort of joking. So he knows that this is all a lie.”

That is a low bar. Don't let them pull a Rabban/Feyd on you, these people are not our friends.
Strange bedfellows for sure. What Toni said … don’t sleep too soundly.
Still, not Cheato.

With Liz Cheney, who knows? She might be playing a long game. Early Reagan attempts to run for office failed. Cheney just might be contemplating moving the GOP from Trumpism and QAnon crazy. And electoral success years from now when Republicans tire of the batshit crazy.

Toe.

Perhaps Mr. Moogly was thinking of Captain Queeg. He towed the line, but failed to toe the tow-line properly.

President Liz Chaney?

It remains to be seen whether she could even win a statewide primary in Wyoming, let alone a national Republican primary for president. Doesn't seem likely.

At first, nobody thought Trump could be elected president, either. Ron Desantis or Liz Cheney? Word is that Greg Abbott of Texas has not ruled out running in 2024. If Trump gets article 18'd, 2024 is going to get insane.

President Liz Chaney?

It remains to be seen whether she could even win a statewide primary in Wyoming, let alone a national Republican primary for president. Doesn't seem likely.

At first, nobody thought Trump could be elected president, either. Ron Desantis or Liz Cheney? Word is that Greg Abbott of Texas has not ruled out running in 2024. If Trump gets article 18'd, 2024 is going to get insane.

That's true, but most people that nobody thinks could be elected president don't, in fact, get elected president. Trump was an outlier.

Back
Top Bottom