• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Rand Paul put some shit on the Internet.

Sen. Rand Paul said:
The vote today is not a protest; the vote today is literally to overturn the election! Voting to overturn state-certified elections would be the opposite of what states’ rights Republicans have always advocated for. This would doom the electoral college forever. It was never intended by our founders that Congress have the power to overturn state-certified elections. My oath to the Constitution doesn’t allow me to disobey the law. I cannot vote to overturn the verdict of the states

Ballsy stand taken there at the last second, technically after it.

Explusion will be a lot easier than trying in court. What is the standard to use for incitement?

I look to McConnell who didn't say a word of incitement... and didn't use his authority to shut Trump's argument down either... which is pretty much watching a small smoldering fire in a trash can outside a house turn into a large fire that burns the house down.

So I guess we've moved past the "peaceful transition of power" phase of the Constitutional Republic.

When was the last time that blood was shed during a Senate swearing-in ceremony?

Bush II, as far as I can tell, has been silent about Trumpism all through the last 4 years. Am I wrong? He isn't any kind of role model for me, but it would be nice to hear someone from this goddamned party, particularly at his level, tell the truth about Trump. I realize that he took himself offstage during Obama's two terms, and that he doesn't figure in the new GOP landscape, but all former Presidents have a certain prominence when they speak.

Bush II, as far as I can tell, has been silent about Trumpism all through the last 4 years. Am I wrong? He isn't any kind of role model for me, but it would be nice to hear someone from this goddamned party, particularly at his level, tell the truth about Trump. I realize that he took himself offstage during Obama's two terms, and that he doesn't figure in the new GOP landscape, but all former Presidents have a certain prominence when they speak.

Only the courageous one in the Bush family, Barbara, unapologetically condemned him.

Saw on NBC News that the woman who was shot has died. No mention of who she was, that I saw.

Oh right, Trump would direct the National Guard. So, pretty good thing that they're not getting involved.
Incorrect. There's a chain of command. Generally, the guard are considered local, and under the command of the state's governor where they are enlisted. In this case, DC falls (IIRC) under the VANG. The DC mayor would likely be given the command (and he would delegate that to those who know what they're doing).

Isn't the mayor in this case "she"?

Now reporting a bomb has been found on the grounds.

Really, I was watching news between 4:15 and 5:45, and heard nothing about and actual bomb. (Your post was made at 2:45).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/06/us/politics/pipe-bomb-rnc.html

An explosive device was found at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee in Washington and the nearby headquarters of the Democratic National Committee was evacuated after the discovery of a suspicious package on Wednesday, according to three people briefed on the discoveries.

The device that was found at the R.N.C. was a pipe bomb that was successfully destroyed by a bomb squad, according to an official for the R.N.C.

Back
Top Bottom