• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Larry Baer

It’s not shared property. I don’t know where you’re getting that from. I’m getting the claim that it was his personal property which she took without his permission from her, so wherever it is yours going with this weird derail, it nothing except a weird derail and not something about the topic being discussed.

Whether she had permission to be holding his phone is immaterial.

Would you encourage or applaud your child to literally assault another family member over a pair of borrowed earrings?

Child ? No children were involved in this ugly affair. Wouldn’t/shouldn’t an adult just hand over the phone when asked ?

It’s not shared property. I don’t know where you’re getting that from. I’m getting the claim that it was his personal property which she took without his permission from her, so wherever it is yours going with this weird derail, it nothing except a weird derail and not something about the topic being discussed.

Does that justify his actions as shown in the video? This is his spouse, whom he claims was injured at the time of the incident. This is not a random stranger.

It’s not important but the whole ugly scene could have been avoided if the asshole had returned the phone to the other asshole. What’s her problem?

That her husband is a feral dog with no self control.

Was she snooping on his phone ? Is that why she wouldn’t return the phone when asked ?

And it’s not up to you to judge other people’s marriage arrangements.

They had some arrangement that allowed him to physically assault her?

Was she snooping on his phone ? Is that why she wouldn’t return the phone when asked ?

And the only way to deal with that is violence. Gotcha..

There are other ways to handle these situations of course. But why is her asshole behavior given a free pass ? Why didn’t she just hand over the phone when asked ? Why was she being so unreasonable?

What free pass? Who has said that it's not assholish to take someone's phone? Did someone say that and I missed it?

This would never have made the news if not for the man's violent reaction. Do you comment on every non-violent rude or annoying thing done by every person ever? Or just when it's met with violence in order to excuse the violence?

Assault is a bit of a stretch. There was a struggle over the phone which resulted in one asshole losing their balance and falling off their chair. Looked ugly and avoidable if the asshole had returned the phone when asked and the other asshole had just walked away. But what is her problem, why didn’t she give the asshole his phone when he asked ?

Oh, and the arrangement I was referring to was just the being married to an asshole thing but I suspect you knew that. And who knows what their arrangements are, she has come out and said it’s not a problem.

There are other ways to handle these situations of course. But why is her asshole behavior given a free pass ? Why didn’t she just hand over the phone when asked ? Why was she being so unreasonable?

What free pass? Who has said that it's not assholish to take someone's phone? Did someone say that and I missed it?

She’s not exactly blameless in this ugly incident after all.

This would never have made the news if not for the man's violent reaction. Do you comment on every non-violent rude or annoying thing done by every person ever? Or just when it's met with violence in order to excuse the violence?

I’m not excusing anything. He shouldn’t have snatched the phone from her but then again she should have just returned the phone when asked. Why didn’t she do that ?

I’m not excusing anything. He shouldn’t have snatched the phone from her but then again she should have just returned the phone when asked. Why didn’t she do that ?

No one said she's blameless. She just didn't do anything that excuses violence.

And why do you keep asking me why she did anything? How the fuck would I know? Do you think we'll all forget his violence if you keep demanding that we all read the mind of the woman? Holy crap, the posturing and tap dancing around this is astounding.

Assault is a bit of a stretch. There was a struggle over the phone which resulted in one asshole losing their balance and falling off their chair. Looked ugly and avoidable if the asshole had returned the phone when asked and the other asshole had just walked away. But what is her problem, why didn’t she give the asshole his phone when he asked ?

Oh, and the arrangement I was referring to was just the being married to an asshole thing but I suspect you knew that. And who knows what their arrangements are, she has come out and said it’s not a problem.

I’ve known a number of abused women who covered for their husbands.

I cannot imagine any man I would be in any sort of relationship with grabbing something from me with such force that I fell off my chair. It is difficult to imagine any decent person treating his or her spouse so callously.

No one said she's blameless. She just didn't do anything that excuses violence.

I’m not excusing his “violence”. Violence being that he grabbed his phone and rather than release the phone, she struggled with him causing her to lose her balance and fall off her chair. If she had released her grip on his phone, well that would have been the end of the matter.

And why do you keep asking me why she did anything? How the fuck would I know? Do you think we'll all forget his violence if you keep demanding that we all read the mind of the woman? Holy crap, the posturing and tap dancing around this is astounding.

You don’t know ? Fair enough.

I cannot imagine any man I would be in any sort of relationship with grabbing something from me with such force that I fell off my chair. It is difficult to imagine any decent person treating his or her spouse so callously.

Would you have returned the phone to him if asked ? Or would you have refused to return his phone ?

That's not what happened.

She pulled the phone so hard she lost her balance.

It's TWO people fighting over a phone.

Two to tango.

Two aggressive people.

Does that justify his actions as shown in the video? This is his spouse, whom he claims was injured at the time of the incident. This is not a random stranger.

You can't blame the victim here. She took someone else's phone, so she's responsible for the consequences of that person taking his phone back from her.

Would you have returned the phone to him if asked ? Or would you have refused to return his phone ?

Let’s reverse this: if my husband had taken my phone without my permission and had not returned it to me when I demanded it, would I have been justified in snatching it from him with such force that he was knocked to the ground?

I don’t think I would be justified in behaving in such a manner.

Let’s reverse this: if my husband had taken my phone without my permission and had not returned it to me when I demanded it, would I have been justified in snatching it from him with such force that he was knocked to the ground?

No let’s not reverse it. If you had someone’s (an asshole perhaps) phone and they asked you for it back immediately, would you return it to them or refuse their request?

You can't blame the victim here. She took someone else's phone, so she's responsible for the consequences of that person taking his phone back from her.

She’s the victim. I don’t blame her. I blame him for behaving violently towards his spouse, as I would blame her were the roles reversed. This is not the way one should treat one’s spouse or anyone you care about.

Ffs, I do not require that my husband ask my permission to touch any of my belongings. He does not require that I get his permission to touch his. I’m pretty sure he has the password to my email if he bothers to remember it. I might be annoyed if he went through my email or my phone but I would hardly knock him to the ground for doing so. He sometimes uses my computer and sometimes I use his. He’s answered my phone for me, and I gave answered his. I’ve read him his texts if he didn’t have his glasses. Nor did I attack him physically or verbally for taking cash from my purse or my car keys because he needed my car. Why on earth would I? Why would I be married to someone I could not trust, or who could not trust me? I certainly cannot imagine knocking to the ground any person I cared about—over a cell phone, ffs. Or anything.

This was not a man trying to retrieve stolen property from a stranger. This was a man who is not capable of behaving civilly to his spouse.

Suppose I am on a subway and some woman grabs my phone.

And I grab it back with vigor.

Have I assaulted somebody?

No let’s not reverse it. If you had someone’s (an asshole perhaps) phone and they asked you for it back immediately, would you return it to them or refuse their request?

Probably. And I would file a police report if he knocked me down.

This is not something between strangers. she Was not stealing it. She simply failed to respond to his demands quickly enough to suit him and he became violent. That is not ok. That is not the behavior of a decent human being.

- - - Updated - - -

Suppose I am on a subway and some woman grabs my phone.

And I grab it back with vigor.

Have I assaulted somebody?

I don’t know. Show me the video and I’ll tell you what I think.

Probably. And I would file a police report if he knocked me down.

Probably?!! Why on earth wouldn’t you return it immediately?! And if he attempted to take it from you would you strongly resist or just relent ?

This is not something between strangers. she Was not stealing it. She simply failed to respond to his demands quickly enough to suit him and he became violent. That is not ok. That is not the behavior of a decent human being.

He tried to grab his phone back and she “simply” resisted for some reason , lost her balance and fell off her chair. Shouldn’t a decent human being give the asshole his phone back ?

Back
Top Bottom