• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lauren Boebert’s American Dream

“It’s unAmerican to try to lock up your political opponents. YOUR political opponents. LOCK HER UP!”

I'll need to just take your word for that.
No need for that. That kind of stuff happens:

'It's a party plane': Young man and woman caught having sex on flight to Ibiza

A young man and woman, who were caught and filmed having sex on a flight to Spain, were welcomed by police as they landed in Ibiza on Sept. 8.

The incident took place on an easyJet flight from London's Luton Airport to the Spanish island of Ibiza, according to a spokesperson of the budget airline.

The discovery elicited a variety of reactions from fellow passengers who were heard screaming, laughing, and clapping in the video. Seemingly embarrassed by the incident, the crew member turned his back and looked away.

The mother of the young man caught in the bathroom told The Sun she was "stunned" to see the video.

She said that her son had only met the girl at the airport before boarding the easyJet flight.

Not a Jack in the Box bathroom exactly, nor Tinder or emojis, but you get the idea.
I hadn't heard about the met by police part. I'd like to know what crime they committed--the only crime I see is being committed by the flight attendant.

I hadn't heard about the met by police part. I'd like to know what crime they committed
The captain (and by delegation, crew) of an aircraft have very extensive powers over the passengers. Under Australian law, any refusal to obey any instruction from cabin crew can be considered "Endangering the Safety of an Aircraft", and failing to return to ones assigned seat and fasten ones seatbelt when the seatbelt light is illuminated can easily constitute the aggravated class of that offence, though as airlines are generally interested in customer service and encouraging return customers, this is rarely prosecuted.

Merely distracting cabin crew from their normal duties is sufficient to constitute an offence.

Other countries generally have similar laws; I don't know what the law is in Spain, but would be surprised if it doesn't allow for a prison term for causing a scene that is distracting to the cabin crew.

In international airspace, the Captain's word is the law, just as it is onboard a ship.

In Australia, the offence of endangering the safety of an aircraft carries a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment. If the action committed is likely to endanger a person’s life or cause serious harm, then the maximum penalty rises to fourteen years imprisonment.
These sections are very broadly drafted and only requires ‘an act’ that would endanger the safety of the aircraft. This will cover any act, for example, assaulting crew members or passengers, distracting crew members or making a scene would be sufficient to fulfil this element.

Boobert was on Faux issuing this apology and explanation. Honestly, considering it came from a middle schooler with a very low IQ she carried it off quite well. I didn't watch the whole thing. Shame on her constituents if she gets reelected.

Boobert was on Faux issuing this apology and explanation. Honestly, considering it came from a middle schooler with a very low IQ she carried it off quite well. I didn't watch the whole thing. Shame on her constituents if she gets reelected.
Can you really blame them?

Oh dear, no! You cannot change a person's name and not be a bigoted racist.

Now that is shut shaming.

My problem with the reaction to her acts is I had to endure Newt fucking Gingrich and the right-wing going on about how awful a blow job was. And these days the right wing will only hold their party to the standard of unethical partisanship (see Lynne Cheney). Drag shows evil, groping each other in public theater acceptable if the staff "know who I am".

Humor is subjective and I find that many of the really great jokes mean different things to different people. In this case of this article, one of the main reasons I think it is funny is because time and time again Boebert and her campaign tried to squash this issue and each time, a dumpster fire resulted. Each time they did something immoral, like lying about it or whatever. And this was just one more example, way over the top, of Boebert creating a dumpster fire to squash the other issue without realization of the incompatible moral nature of her followers.

Now someone other than me could find humor in the absurdist side of the story. Somebody else could laugh up the hypocrisy angle that is very consistent with her and even the whole conservative base. A lot of these uppity moral guys in the GOP would be totally fine with hand jobs from a married woman.

My problem with the reaction to her acts is I had to endure Newt fucking Gingrich and the right-wing going on about how awful a blow job was. And these days the right wing will only hold their party to the standard of unethical partisanship (see Lynne Cheney). Drag shows evil, groping each other in public theater acceptable if the staff "know who I am".

Perhaps, theonion would have done better to go there in these issues. For example, she could have apologized by offering a bj to her first follower asking for it. 30 million followers could have gotten back to her, but then it turns out that Bill Clinton was the first one. So she does the deed and 29,999,999 Republicans are mad as hell and vote her out of office, but then she becomes a Democrat who have all forgiven her. Too complicated and more like a South Park episode...

Anyway, I usually don't try to write an analysis of humor because I feel it destroys the joke.

I know it can get a bit much delving too far in humor. But being absolutely awful at humor I can tell you Toni is right with this sort of piece. When writing humor you need a wick. And this, while funny on first hand, a little retrospective thought makes one reflect how this would have been handled had the representative was a male.

I think a better angle to attack this a Boebert review of the show Beetlejuice and possibly the theater.

Anyway, I usually don't try to write an analysis of humor because I feel it destroys the joke.
Especially when its satire at the level of The Onion, concerning one of their favorite targets. Boebert is a self righteous hypocrite from hell. She got lampooned royally by some experts.
Tom

Boobert is a pubescent child placed into office by pubescent children who were promised more candy and a longer recess. It's no wonder she doesn't fit in with mature adults. Maybe she'll come around.

I agree it's slut shaming.
However, to judge by her reaction to her fiance/ hubby/ whatever his status was, when he dragged it out in a bowling alley in front of an underage teen, Lauren Boebert is far from averse to public displays of dickplay in inappropriate places.

I agree it's slut shaming.
However, to judge by her reaction to her fiance/ hubby/ whatever his status was, when he dragged it out in a bowling alley in front of an underage teen, Lauren Boebert is far from averse to public displays of dickplay in inappropriate places.
Disagree on the slut shaming. It's calling out hypocrisy.

Assuming nobody actually saw (and so far I have seen nothing that makes me think anyone did) I don't care one bit about their groping. I do care about the incompatibility between her sexual behavior and what she wants to legislate for others.

There are better ways to address the hypocrisy. Crude isn't the problem, the issue is that if that was a guy, it wouldn't have been the same angle. Because she is a woman, sex is used against her.

There are better ways to address the hypocrisy. Crude isn't the problem, the issue is that if that was a guy, it wouldn't have been the same angle. Because she is a woman, sex is used against her.
This is true. It was the guy that actually initiated the activity, as far as I could tell.

Waitaminit

Boebert has another incident of misbehavior in public, at a bowling alley, and the dude had his dick out?

Seriously?
Tom

Waitaminit

Boebert has another incident of misbehavior in public, at a bowling alley, and the dude had his dick out?

Seriously?
Tom
Her husband exposed himself to some teenage girls.

Waitaminit

Seriously?
Tom

It was before they were married, and Boebert was a minor at the time.

Back
Top Bottom