• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Liz Truss Is Now Britain's Prime Minister

If nothing else, Liz Truss has accomplished a notable thing in her short tenure, she has united the kingdom. Near everyone agrees they don't like her.

Well, Truss has resigned. Having accomplished all of her goals in just 6 weeks, Truss is stepping aside for the next Tory cunt to take their place in ramming the UK firmly into the ground.
article said:
Speaking outside her official residence at No. 10 Downing St., Truss said that she had met with the chairman of the 1922 Committee — a group of senior Conservative lawmakers — and agreed to hold a leadership election “within the next week.”

“This will ensure that we remain on a path to deliver our fiscal plans and maintain our country’s economic stability and national security,” she added.
There is a lot there to take in. First, the Tories will have a leadership election. Seriously, if you can't lead for more than 6 weeks with your own party firmly in charge, there doesn't need to be leadership elections, there needs to be a general election.

Secondly, path to deliver our fiscal plans? Well, those plans caused a crash in the British Pound. The Tories have fucked the UK. They fucked it with Brexit (and that fucking is early on), they fucked it with the Covid strategy of ignore it late, they fucked it with shitty fiscal policy. And now somehow, things will get better just with a different leader? It's like a party of little shits, and the last leader quit because they smelled like shit... and the party thinking the next one will be better. It's like that, but worse. It's more like the Tories are shifting who is captain of the Titanic... as it is sinking.. you know, after they rammed the boat into an iceberg because they somehow managed to convince enough people on the boat that going further north would save them lots of time and money... and despite the iceberg warnings, the Tories were pretty certain they were compelled to abide by a non-binding vote of the passengers. However, the boat continues to sink, the latest captain resigns in hopes that the new Tory will be able to keep things "ship shape". Of course, the boat is sinking and it ain't going to get better. It is going down, just how many will die is the question. Making people second guess the Tory position on lifeboats, which causes the next resignation. The Tories sold a bag of lies, like they knew how to captain a boat in the Atlantic... and the bill is due.

Time for a new captain on the HMS Fucked.

The application of modern conservative "trickle down" economic policy has always depended upon a core of believers who lack the wherewithal to understand economics. Professional economists know it doesn't work, but it's such an appealing idea, there will always be a politician ready to dangle it in front of the crowd.

Liz Truss is an example of what happens when someone is pulled out of the crowd and put in charge. She actually believed the simple minded platitudes that pass for trickle down economic theory. It seems simple enough. Cut taxes on the wealthiest, cut government spending(even is you say you won't), and rich people will be so flush with cash, they'll go on a spending spree, investing in manufacturing and infrastructure.

Imagine her shock when it didn't work that way. It worked so bad it looked like she had hit the self destruct button.

Now the Tories are back where they were six weeks ago, looking for someone who can do the job, but is stupid enough to want the job. The Venn diagram of this group of prospective prime ministers is two circles on different pages.

The application of modern conservative "trickle down" economic policy has always depended upon a core of believers who lack the wherewithal to understand economics. Professional economists know it doesn't work, but it's such an appealing idea, there will always be a politician ready to dangle it in front of the crowd.

Liz Truss is an example of what happens when someone is pulled out of the crowd and put in charge. She actually believed the simple minded platitudes that pass for trickle down economic theory. It seems simple enough. Cut taxes on the wealthiest, cut government spending(even is you say you won't), and rich people will be so flush with cash, they'll go on a spending spree, investing in manufacturing and infrastructure.

Imagine her shock when it didn't work that way. It worked so bad it looked like she had hit the self destruct button.
Well, she didn't have enough time to see it not work that way. What was funny was that the "free market" went out of the fucking minds when they heard her plan, and the Pound took a serious hit.
Now the Tories are back where they were six weeks ago...
...before Teresa May took power.
...looking for someone who can do the job, but is stupid enough to want the job. The Venn diagram of this group of prospective prime ministers is two circles on different pages.
This truly is the problem of being in charge for a long time. If things get real bad... you have no one to blame but your own party. Blair didn't have this issue. The Tories do. Things were good under liberal leadership... but the Conservatives convinced people that they had enough with things going well and that things would be better if we just stopped paying for stuff.

Tories have a hard choice to figure out which idiot to make PM next. The party isn't popular and their best option might be putting the last cunt back in power because the populists are idiots and they would at least like that.

Currently predictions are floating around of a 1993 Canada like demise (where party in power lost 154 of their seats in Parliament and were left with 2) of the Tories are out there.

IIUC, Ms. Truss does not hold the record for shortest term as British P.M. The Duke of Wellington's second term was an interim job that lasted only 23 days.

Wikipedia said:
. . . Wellington was gradually superseded as leader of the Tories by Robert Peel, while the party evolved into the Conservatives. When the Tories were returned to power in 1834, Wellington declined to become prime minister because he thought membership in the House of Commons had become essential. The king reluctantly approved Peel, who was in Italy. Hence, Wellington acted as interim leader for three weeks in November and December 1834, taking the responsibilities of prime minister and most of the other ministries. . . .

Wellington served as the leader of the Conservative party in the House of Lords from 1828 to 1846. Some historians have belittled him as a befuddled reactionary, but a consensus in the late 20th century depicts him as a shrewd operator who hid his cleverness behind the façade of a poorly informed old soldier. Wellington worked to transform the Lords from unstinting support of the Crown to an active player in political manoeuvring, with a commitment to the landed aristocracy.

I don't know enough about Britain's problems to offer suggestions . . . but I will anyway! Have they given thought to applying for membership in the European Union? That would solve a number of economic and political problems, and perhaps help restore London's might as a centre for financial services.

Rejoining the EU would certainly be a good move for the UK, but they might struggle to qualify for membership, and they certainly can't ever regain their former privileged status within the EU.

Brexit was largely an irreversible disaster. You can rebuild Hiroshima, but you can't un-nuke it.

Well, she didn't have enough time to see it not work that way. What was funny was that the "free market" went out of the fucking minds when they heard her plan, and the Pound took a serious hit.
Now the Tories are back where they were six weeks ago...
...before Teresa May took power.
...looking for someone who can do the job, but is stupid enough to want the job. The Venn diagram of this group of prospective prime ministers is two circles on different pages.
This truly is the problem of being in charge for a long time. If things get real bad... you have no one to blame but your own party. Blair didn't have this issue. The Tories do. Things were good under liberal leadership... but the Conservatives convinced people that they had enough with things going well and that things would be better if we just stopped paying for stuff.
This is not the typical case of "been in power too long". BIPTL is when a ruling party has been in control long enough they get the blame for the low level friction in every society. This is why so many sensible Britains were willing to leave the EU.

The problem Tories face is a self inflicted wound which is infected because the patient left the hospital, against medical advice. Brexit was and still is a stupid idea. It was put forward by people who thought it would lead to personal gain, either political or financial, and was supported by people who didn't understand what it meant.

It was sold using the trickle down pitch. Just say something that is grammatically correct and vaguely plausible. "We must take control of our borders" is always good. It's strong and uses all the right words.

Unfortunately for Tories, the EU was a good idea and it worked. It wasn't perfect, but it was so good, it can't be improved upon. When it comes time for the benefits to magically trickle down, the potting soil is bone dry and the petunias are wilting.

The situation Britain faces today is grim because the best case scenario is scraping "barely good enough". It can get worse. There's a penalty to be paid for putting stupid people in charge of important things and bill has come due.

This is not the typical case of "been in power too long". BIPTL is when a ruling party has been in control long enough they get the blame for the low level friction in every society. This is why so many sensible Britains were willing to leave the EU.

The problem Tories face is a self inflicted wound which is infected because the patient left the hospital, against medical advice. Brexit was and still is a stupid idea. It was put forward by people who thought it would lead to personal gain, either political or financial, and was supported by people who didn't understand what it meant.

It was sold using the trickle down pitch. Just say something that is grammatically correct and vaguely plausible. "We must take control of our borders" is always good. It's strong and uses all the right words.

Unfortunately for Tories, the EU was a good idea and it worked. It wasn't perfect, but it was so good, it can't be improved upon. When it comes time for the benefits to magically trickle down, the potting soil is bone dry and the petunias are wilting.

The situation Britain faces today is grim because the best case scenario is scraping "barely good enough". It can get worse. There's a penalty to be paid for putting stupid people in charge of important things and bill has come due.
I don't think there is much disagreement here. I concede on BIPTL's meaning from the trademarked sense where people just vote "for a change" because people are stupid.

I was speaking more to the generalized, they've been in power, enacted their policies and their policies suck... and the results of those policies have been more immediately forth coming than on average, and they have little recourse here. Vote for us... we'll keep doing the same stuff that is failing the country. Truss effectively was fired because Tory policy made the markets panic, not her policies, Tory policies.

I don't think there is much disagreement here. I concede on BIPTL's meaning from the trademarked sense where people just vote "for a change" because people are stupid.

I was speaking more to the generalized, they've been in power, enacted their policies and their policies suck... and the results of those policies have been more immediately forth coming than on average, and they have little recourse here. Vote for us... we'll keep doing the same stuff that is failing the country. Truss effectively was fired because Tory policy made the markets panic, not her policies, Tory policies.
Up until Brexit became a reality, the Tories successfully played the "Labor would be worse" card at election time. Liz Truss has pulled that card from the deck, shredded it and set the pieces on fire.

To say "not her policies" is fair because she has no understanding of policy. She heard a parrot say, "Low taxes promotes growth," and that's the sum total of her economic science education. The British government has some of the shrewdest economists in the world, yet Truss chose to set forth the budget without asking their thoughts. The markets didn't panic. It was more of a predictable reaction to an expected event.

Ffh6UJ6WIAAYvXx

^Someone is owed a Coke.

At least she kept her speech suitably short.

All the reason she gave for resigning was "given the situation." No more needed to be said. But I am impressed that she remembered it's "his majesty" now.

Final voting for the next sacrificial offering to be held 28/10. Jealous that they can get it done so fast. Last one was by mailing or online. This one is online only.

Truss did look to be a curious choice given how that voting went. She was never first on any mp ballot, though they stop voting after 2 are left. She did ultimately win by 15 points, which would be huge in the US, but apparently is their smallest margin ever.

Final voting for the next sacrificial offering to be held 28/10. Jealous that they can get it done so fast. Last one was by mailing or online. This one is online only.

Maybe I should throw my hat into the ring. Wouldn't it be fun if I were the Torie candidate for British PM?

I'm white. I'm not female, but I'm the next best thing. I'm very homosexual.

I'm socially and fiscally conservative. I don't care about the outcome of my ministerial policies. I'm perfect.

Better than perfect maybe. I'm an Irish Catholic American. It's hardly possible for anyone to dislike the British more than I do, without bothering with terrorism or nukes.

I'll go right in to 10 Downing Street and tell everyone why Brexit was a good thing and a £ worth less than a $ is Making England Great Again!

And they'll believe it.

Vote TomC for Prime Minister!
Tom

Back
Top Bottom