• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Liz Truss Is Now Britain's Prime Minister

Final voting for the next sacrificial offering to be held 28/10. Jealous that they can get it done so fast. Last one was by mailing or online. This one is online only.

Maybe I should throw my hat into the ring. Wouldn't it be fun if I were the Torie candidate for British PM?

I'm white. I'm not female, but I'm the next best thing. I'm very homosexual.

I'm socially and fiscally conservative. I don't care about the outcome of my ministerial policies. I'm perfect.

Better than perfect maybe. I'm an Irish Catholic American. It's hardly possible for anyone to dislike the British more than I do, without bothering with terrorism or nukes.

I'll go right in to 10 Downing Street and tell everyone why Brexit was a good thing and a £ worth less than a $ is Making England Great Again!

And they'll believe it.

Vote TomC for Prime Minister!
Tom
Just don't change the wallpaper at No. 10

Final voting for the next sacrificial offering to be held 28/10. Jealous that they can get it done so fast. Last one was by mailing or online. This one is online only.

Maybe I should throw my hat into the ring. Wouldn't it be fun if I were the Torie candidate for British PM?

I'm white. I'm not female, but I'm the next best thing. I'm very homosexual.

I'm socially and fiscally conservative. I don't care about the outcome of my ministerial policies. I'm perfect.

Better than perfect maybe. I'm an Irish Catholic American. It's hardly possible for anyone to dislike the British more than I do, without bothering with terrorism or nukes.

I'll go right in to 10 Downing Street and tell everyone why Brexit was a good thing and a £ worth less than a $ is Making England Great Again!

And they'll believe it.

Vote TomC for Prime Minister!
Tom
Just don't change the wallpaper at No. 10
Are you kidding? After Borris and his cigars (that was Borris ya?), that wallpaper has just GOT to go.

Things were good under liberal leadership...
Liberals have not ever had a PM for a long time. They have been in a coalition government with the Tories 2010-2015, but they were the junior partner.
Are you confusing them with Labour?
but the Conservatives convinced people that they had enough with things going well and that things would be better if we just stopped paying for stuff.
Huh?
Also, #bringBackBoris. At least he was entertaining.

[Edited to include bilby's correction. Thanks]

Last edited:
From Hong Kong to Ireland, from India to France, "the sun never sets on the British Empire". Nor does it set on the people that they screwed and now have media access.

The list of people who are amused by the Brits shooting themselves in the crotch is huge. I'm just one of many. Imagine what the Iraqis who remember The Coalition are thinking.

I wish I remembered my high school French well enough to enjoy what they've got to say about the British government at this time.

Unfortunately, I'm an American. Our time is coming. We're not very different from the British of a century ago. Except we invented nuclear weapons.
Tom

^Someone is owed a Coke.

At least she kept her speech suitably short.

All the reason she gave for resigning was "given the situation." No more needed to be said. But I am impressed that she remembered it's "his majesty" now.

Truss did look to be a curious choice given how that voting went. She was never first on any mp ballot, though they stop voting after 2 are left. She did ultimately win by 15 points, which would be huge in the US, but apparently is their smallest margin ever.
So if someone can work out whether Truss was elected PM by FPTP or PR it might give some idea which is more suitable.

Liz Truss - she was in office for 44 days, the shortest ever for a British Prime Minister.

How Liz Truss became leader of the Conservative party – a timeline | Liz Truss | The Guardian - has her career up to becoming PM.

Who Replaces Liz Truss? How U.K. Prime Minister Is Selected | Time

The previous leadership contest was over 8 weeks, while this one will be only about 1 week, and should be over by Oct. 28.
Typically, a Tory leadership contest would involve campaign events (also known as “hustings”), televised debates, and a formal vote among the party’s roughly 200,000 dues-paying members, who act as the final decision-makers. But this time, the process will be streamlined—likely with fewer such events and debates, if they happen at all. The members’ vote will be conducted online.
Each candidate must have the backing of at least 100 Members of Parliament (MP's), much more than in previous leadership contests. The party has a total of 357 MP's, so there may not be many candidates this time around.

From the looks of it, the Tory Party uses a top-two runoff system or two-ballot system. First, everybody votes for one candidate, and if no candidate gets a majority, then the top two go into a runoff election.

Just heard about two people who must be scrambling after her resignation.

Harry Cole and James Heale. These two guys wrote a book: "Out of the Blue: The inside story of Liz Truss and her explosive rise to power" due out on Dec 8th.....

I'm thinking they have a little bit of time to add a couple chapters, and change the title too 'Rise to, and fall from power'

FfmiNtpXoAIEwKJ.jpg

But I'd say it's a bit presumptuous of the graphic to rule out Liz Twist as next PM.

The record of shortest tenure as PM sounds too fashionable. The more inconspicuous least amount of kilojoules spent on Britain is a better fit.

Opinion | Liz Truss in the Libertarian Wilderness - The New York Times
Liz Truss is squarely in the libertarian box. She didn’t make appeals to anti-immigrant, anti-woke sentiment; she did advocate what one analysis assessed as the most conservative economic position of any party in the developed world. So she placed herself in the political wilderness, a barren quadrant where few voters may be found.
Just like Kyrsten Sinema.
In America, the positions of the two parties are clear. Democrats are in the southwest quadrant, both socially and economically liberal, while Republicans are socially and economically conservative.

There are, however, many voters who are economically relatively liberal and socially illiberal — who hate wokeness and fear immigrants but want to maintain and even expand Social Security and Medicare, at least for people they see as “real” Americans. Such voters do have political champions in other countries: France’s National Rally, formerly the National Front, established its identity as an anti-immigrant, Islamophobic party, but it has been attacking President Emmanuel Macron’s economic policies from the left, denouncing his plans to raise the retirement age.

In the United States, though, socially illiberal voters who want a strong safety net for themselves have effectively no representation. Donald Trump made a play for such voters in 2016, posing as a different kind of Republican, but once in office he slashed taxes for the rich and tried to kill Obamacare. If Republicans win one or both houses of Congress next month, they’ve already signaled that they will use the debt limit to try to blackmail the Biden administration into cutting Social Security and Medicare.

So even as we marvel at Truss’s political obtuseness, we should ask what it is about the United States that prevents the emergence of anyone catering to a large bloc of voters who want the nastiness of MAGA without the right-wing economics.
Part of it is the difficulty of forming an additional political party. First-past-the-post combined with single-member districts tends to produce a two-party system. Proportional representation would make it much easier for such parties to be electorally viable.

Johnson drops out... who knows why. Sunak to become newest Tory Revolving Door PM. We all look forward to how he'll handle things a bit better than Truss, but seeing the Tories drove the UK off a cliff, while he can sound more competent... still falling off a cliff. Also, if he is so much better than Truss... why did they go with Truss?

Johnson drops out... who knows why. Sunak to become newest Tory Revolving Door PM. We all look forward to how he'll handle things a bit better than Truss, but seeing the Tories drove the UK off a cliff, while he can sound more competent... still falling off a cliff. Also, if he is so much better than Truss... why did they go with Truss?
They went with Truss because "they" were the general party membership (think "MAGA" spelled in British fashion).

They went with Sunak because "they" are the Tory members of Parliament, and they went with him the last time too.

Back
Top Bottom