• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Looks Like Cosby May Walk

To be fair, he admitted to drugging women, then having sex with them, and thinking that he could tell who consented through body language afterward, but he never came out and said, "I raped those 50* women."

* It's actually 50, not 30. My mistake for writing 30 before.
Please quote from the document in which this admission was made. I read the doc that was made public a while back, it contained at most an admission of providing ludes and/or benedryl to women, in exchange for (or to 'enhance') sex. I predict that this will never go to court, because the plaintiffs want settlements, not convictions.

Non sequitur. He said if. Furthermore, his statement was a general case, not specifically applying to Cosby only.

There isn't a difference between "raping 30 people" and "having been convicted of raping 30 people"?

If not, Cosby must not have raped 30 people.

Or maybe you are attempting the argument that he accidentally made the comment in a thread about Cosby not intending it to apply to the discussion about Cosby?

Assuming this is still a thread about Cosby my point stands. UNDER THE LAW, Cosby has not raped anyone until he has been convicted of raping someone. A comment about "statute of limitations" is a comment about the law.

Since he was referring to a statute of limitations (i.e. what the law should be), he clearly was not referring to having been convicted of raping 30 people under the law as the statute of limitations applies to situations where the person has not even been charged due to how long ago the alleged crime took place.

Only if he converts to Islam first.

- - - Updated - - -

You are older right? Without statute of limitations some women could falsely accuse you of raping them when you were a teenager, what 50 years ago? How would you defend yourself against such allegations?
Statutes of limitations exist to protect people and should not be extended or eliminated for political or ideological reasons.

Fifty years ago, you might of had a valid point. Today is different. If evidence is collected at the time of the crime and properly preserved, a prosecution and a fair trial are possible, far into the future.

under what legitimate circumstance would properly collected and preserved evidence NOT be used at the time, but 'saved' for a later time?
Such activities might seem a bit fishy, no?

perhaps you have wronged me in some way and I have all the evidence I need to prove you are liable for paying me 1 year of your salary. however, I feel that maybe you aren't earning quite enough money annually yet.. .so I wait another 20 years when your career takes off and THEN I make my claim.... Fair play? Nope. That is just one reason we have such as thing as a Statue of Limitation.

Here's another... your witness for your valid definse is an 80 year old woman. I wait for her to die, and then make my case against you, knowing your valid defense has disappeared...

I can go on and on with examples...

(Edited to add those examples)

Fifty years ago, you might of had a valid point. Today is different. If evidence is collected at the time of the crime and properly preserved, a prosecution and a fair trial are possible, far into the future.

under what legitimate circumstance would properly collected and preserved evidence NOT be used at the time, but 'saved' for a later time?

perhaps you have wronged me in some way and I have all the evidence I need to prove you are liable for paying me 1 year of your salary. however, I feel that maybe you aren't earning quite enough money annually yet.. .so I wait another 20 years when your career takes off and THEN I make my claim.... Fair play? Nope. That is just one reason we have such as thing as a Statue of Limitation.

Here's another... your witness for your valid definse is an 80 year old woman. I wait for her to die, and then make my case against you, knowing your valid defense has disappeared...

But the major reason that we do put a statue of limitations on it is for testimony which fades over time. In the case of Cosby's rape it would have been good if they collected a blood sample and checked for drugs and checked for his semen. But if it's asking the witness what happened 45 years ago, we run into issues.

Thirty complainants constitutes a pretty strong pattern.

Particularly if they are geographically separated and have not consulted.

Particularly if methods coincide between cases.

One accuser is "he said, she said", 30 is corroborative evidence.

Yea, occam's razor.

Even a truthful accusation is pretty unlikely, given women don't usually want to speak up about things like this. A false accusation much more unlikely.

The odds of 30 women all making false accusations is pretty much nil. The only explanation is that Cosby did exactly what he's being accused of.

I think its highly likely that Cosby is guilty, but law must be based on general principles, not what makes sense for specific cases.

The first accusations were made many years ago and people heard about them. That makes any accusation after that, non-independent. Subsequent accusations have more potential benefit and less risk than the first one, thus the odds of another false accusations increases with each one.
Financial payout is enough motive for some people to do absolutely anything, including kill a person. So, it is more than enough for a person to make themselves look victimized (something people increasingly like doing for free). This is especially true with a famous person who may be willing to secretly pay extortion with no need to go public with the accusation. Then once the person refuses, you have already made up the lie and accused them privately, which makes it easier to go public with it and go after them through the courts.

Suppose Cosby gave and took drugs during consensual sex with a woman. Then, she tried to extort him, he refused, she went public, others heard about it, and saw what they thought would be an easy payday precisely because they thought people would share your assumption that "more than one = guilty".
This is even more likely, if Cosby did actually have consensual drug-involved sex with these women, and a false accusation just requires altering one "minor" but critical fact of whether they knew they were being given drugs. When a lie is 99% truth, it is easy to tell, and that 1% makes all the difference in whether it was rape.

I think he's guilty and don't want him to go free, but much more than that, I don't want our legal system to be undermined by the invalid idea that 30 unsupported and not actually independent accusations are somehow given sufficient support by their mere co-existence. If each accusation had its own unique evidence supporting guilt, but not beyond a reasonable doubt, then their collective partial support could be enough to support a conclusion beyond doubt of guilt in some of the cases. That would make it analogous to scientific evidence where each study has some evidence that is partially flawed, but collectively their is no plausibly alternative account for all of it.
But accusations are not evidence for themselves or for other accusations, especially when the existence of one accusation makes other accusations more probable.

Last edited:

But the major reason that we do put a statue of limitations on it is for testimony which fades over time. In the case of Cosby's rape it would have been good if they collected a blood sample and checked for drugs and checked for his semen. But if it's asking the witness what happened 45 years ago, we run into issues.

But that would mean that there is insufficient evidence to take it to a trial. If sufficient evidence were to materialize 20 years after the fact, for whatever reason, then why shouldn't that be taken to trial?

But that would mean that there is insufficient evidence to take it to a trial. If sufficient evidence were to materialize 20 years after the fact, for whatever reason, then why shouldn't that be taken to trial?

The statue of limitations is the fine line because even then our legal system is based on the accused being able to cross exam the witness and over time it changes. I think it's better to have it allowed to go free, then charge someone that late.

If sufficient evidence were to materialize 20 years after the fact, for whatever reason, then why shouldn't that be taken to trial?
How do you suppose such evidence to show up? And what of the chain of custody?

If sufficient evidence were to materialize 20 years after the fact, for whatever reason, then why shouldn't that be taken to trial?
How do you suppose such evidence to show up? And what of the chain of custody?

The truth is that physical evidence taken decades ago may have evidence such as DNA, for which there was no reliable scientific analysis available at the time of the crime. Or matching DNA was not in the system and there were no suspects from which to collect appropriate samples. And of course, there are thousands of rape kits which have not been analyzed because....it's just not been a priority for police departments.

But yes, I also believe that the statute of limitations exists for good reasons.

A rape kit when the rapist was not identified. You can't do anything with it until you have a suspect. I do agree it makes no sense in a case like this where the identity of the accused is known.

Yeah, the statute of limitations exists for a good reason.

I've been trying to come up with a scenario where the physical evidence is compelling enough that it should be waived and so far I haven't figured out one that couldn't have been faked.

Cosby found guilty on all three charges.
Yet another victim of #metoo. :(

Ya, another innocent man railroaded by the feminazis. What the hell kind of society are we living in when you can't even drug and rape women without getting sent to prison anymore?

Do we really want to be living in a world where the only people who are safe from this kind of vicious prosecution are the ones who don't drug and rape people? That's not the America I know. :(

Derec, how are you ever gonna have white babies for the Ethnostate if you don't lighten up about women?

Back
Top Bottom