• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Missing White Male

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
non-practicing agnostic
In another thread, someone was very upset that missing males don't get the same coverage as missing white females. So, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Brian Laundrie who went missing. It's possible in theory that someone killed him. I'm just saying...

Around here, there was a huge hubbub last mointh surrounding a missing hiker, Philip Kreycik. who'd disappeared while on a jog near his affluent techie neighborhood, though I think this had more to do with the massive amount of money, influence, and volunteer searchers being dispatched by his family. Unfortunately, he was eventually found dead. The tenor of the news reporting / rumor mill contained a definite note of "who could imagine such a thing happening in one of our neighborhoods? We're supposed to be safe on this side of the hill, not like Oakland."

I think it is certainly true that some disappearances are treated as national crises while others are blatantly ignored as unimportant. Demographics aside, I think this usually comes down to whether they have a wealthy family or not. American police are useless, they don't actually look for missing people unless the social connections that person has are able to provide them with extra motivation or pressure.

I disagree that police are useless and only look for missing people from wealthy families. It IS true that fairly often, when the missing person is a teenager or very young adult, there is a greater presumption that the missing person is a runaway (as if that meant they were less likely to be in danger). Missing children and vulnerable adults garner a lot of local attention. So do missing boaters, hunters and fishermen and snow mobilers. Less often missing hikers in my corner of the state but more so in larger wilderness areas. Most such cases only get local or sometimes regional attention

Note: I live in a small city (25K) surrounded by smaller towns but mostly farmland, some forested area, prairies, lakes and rivers. The nearest large metropolitan area is more than 100 miles away.

I disagree that police are useless and only look for missing people from wealthy families. It IS true that fairly often, when the missing person is a teenager or very young adult, there is a greater presumption that the missing person is a runaway (as if that meant they were less likely to be in danger). Missing children and vulnerable adults garner a lot of local attention. So do missing boaters, hunters and fishermen and snow mobilers. Less often missing hikers in my corner of the state but more so in larger wilderness areas. Most such cases only get local or sometimes regional attention

Note: I live in a small city (25K) surrounded by smaller towns but mostly farmland, some forested area, prairies, lakes and rivers. The nearest large metropolitan area is more than 100 miles away.

Yes, what the police suspect to be the situation plays a big role in the sort of search that's mounted.

The police generally only put in much effort when it's someone they suspect is in danger and not due to their own criminal activities. (Which means missing prostitutes don't get looked for--but to a considerable degree this is because it's basically futile. If it was a serial killer in the car rather than a normal john the chance of catching him is basically zero other than through his screwing up. Throwing a lot of effort into a hopeless case isn't a good use of resources.)

Yes, what the police suspect to be the situation plays a big role in the sort of search that's mounted.

The police generally only put in much effort when it's someone they suspect is in danger and not due to their own criminal activities. (Which means missing prostitutes don't get looked for--but to a considerable degree this is because it's basically futile. If it was a serial killer in the car rather than a normal john the chance of catching him is basically zero other than through his screwing up. Throwing a lot of effort into a hopeless case isn't a good use of resources.)

Everything is hopeless if you don’t try.

Serial killers get lots of press but they are relatively rare. Still, where there are suspicions of a serial killer at work, it’s pretty important to devote redirected time catching them, don’t you think?

Maybe I’m reading you wrong but it seems as though you also don’t think prostitutes’ murders need investigating?

And I’m not sure why you jumped to prostitutes here?

Teens/young adults who are missing are often runaways (which dies carry danger) or are blowing off steam or staying with friends and come home on their own. But obviously that’s not always the case. Children who are missing sometimes have wandered off but are more likely to have been taken by a noncustodial parent or other family member. Sometimes they have been kidnapped by strangers and in any case because they are children certainly their disappearances need investigating.

Speaking of missing white males, wasn't this thread created specifically to address the complaint about missing males never being investigated?
Where's Derec?

Speaking of missing white males, wasn't this thread created specifically to address the complaint about missing males never being investigated?
Where's Derec?

Nope. Here's the first sentence of this thread:

In another thread, someone was very upset that missing males don't get the same coverage as missing white females.

Where's Derec?

In another thread, someone was very upset that missing males don't get the same coverage as missing white females.

So THIS was an entirely disingenuous expression? That's quite believable, actually.

So THIS was an entirely disingenuous expression? That's quite believable, actually.

Sigh. I guess I will never understand why the side of the political spectrum that claims to be passionate and caring for all of humanity does its best to dismiss the value and concerns of half the population...men. Don't you all have husbands, fathers, brothers, sons, nephews, and male friends you care about? If one of them went missing under suspicious circumstances, would you want people dismissing your concerns about their whereabouts just because they're a man and not a woman?

Sigh. I guess I will never understand why the side of the political spectrum that claims to be passionate and caring for all of humanity does its best to dismiss the value and concerns of half the population...men. Don't you all have husbands, fathers, brothers, sons, nephews, and male friends you care about? If one of them went missing under suspicious circumstances, would you want people dismissing your concerns about their whereabouts just because they're a man and not a woman?

Why are you griping about no one paying attention to men disappearing under suspicious circumstances in a thread about a man who disappeared under suspicious circumstances?

John Walsh said today he doesn't think Brian even went to the swamp. Agree or disagree?

Do you think the murdererer got him?

So on the subject of "missing white male", I was browsing Reddit today and this came up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

Assuming that the link works, it will bring you to an interesting comment thread where people might start to explain at least some of the discrepancies.

Essentially the urge to fuck off and tell nobody is a reasonably widespread phenomena. I expect that there is a similar difference seen in resolve to execute that manifests in a lot of "dads who went out for a pack", that is not similarly reflected by women.

It's still an attrocious thing that concern is not well distributed among victims.

Why are you griping about no one paying attention to men disappearing under suspicious circumstances in a thread about a man who disappeared under suspicious circumstances?

John Walsh said today he doesn't think Brian even went to the swamp. Agree or disagree?

Do you think the murdererer got him?

Your blatant mockery of missing men by equating a murderer on the run to innocent men who have gone missing for unknown reasons just proves my point. I wonder what the family of this missing young man would think of your attitude?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/us/families-missing-black-people/index.html

(CNN)David Robinson has been in Arizona for the last three months searching for his 24-year-old son, Daniel Robinson, who went missing after leaving a work site in the desert in his Jeep Renegade on June 23.

Robinson, who lives in South Carolina, hired an independent investigator and assembled a volunteer search team when he says he felt the police weren't making progress in the investigation. He also says he failed to get the amount of media coverage he believed the case needed. The case was reported by the local media as early as July 9.
Robinson said he sympathizes with the family of Gabby Petito, whose remains were recovered Sunday after she disappeared while exploring parks in Wyoming prompting a highly publicized search.

Still, Robinson said it's "hurtful" to see a young White woman's case met with more urgency and national attention than his son, who is Black.
"You wish you lived in a world where everything was equal but it's really not equal," Robinson told CNN.

Do you have a son yourself? What do you suppose he would think of you if he read your comments on this thread?

So on the subject of "missing white male", I was browsing Reddit today and this came up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

Assuming that the link works, it will bring you to an interesting comment thread where people might start to explain at least some of the discrepancies.

Essentially the urge to fuck off and tell nobody is a reasonably widespread phenomena. I expect that there is a similar difference seen in resolve to execute that manifests in a lot of "dads who went out for a pack", that is not similarly reflected by women.

It's still an attrocious thing that concern is not well distributed among victims.

That was an interesting read. I'll admit I've had similar thoughts off and on over the years, but I think I'm too chicken to actually "disappear". That happened to the dad of a classmate of mine in high school, though. Her father (a prominent and respected dentist and citizen of the town) drove to the North Coast of California for a solo trip to the beach (or so he claimed). When he didn't return home, cops were called and they discovered his car along side the road and his day pack on the beach. They searched a bit but came up with nothing, and assumed he drowned and got swept out to sea. The family grieves and eventually moves on with their lives. A couple of years go by, and then someone from my town goes to Arizona for a vacation and sees him performing in a town play one night. Soon, all hell breaks loose. He had always loved acting, but couldn't support his family on an actor's salary so he bailed. So weird. He had several kids, all very nice, well adjusted and popular.

A short, but true story about white male who was found, but never went missing:

In Louisiana, the month of March is mid spring. Two young boys were playing in a wooded area near their home when they discovered a human skull. The police were called and an investigation began. There was a blue nylon rope tied in a noose, hanging from a branch above the scene. The skeleton had been scattered by animals, but the man's wallet was still in the pants pocket. It contained a paycheck stub from late December. Not the previous December, but a year previous. The stub was from a large grocery store which bordered the wooded area. The detectives went to the store. The man was 22 years old and was last seen after the store Christmas party. The loading dock had a spool of blue nylon rope, similar to that found in the tree. The store manager assume he had quit without notice. The man's home address was an apartment which was in walking distance from the store. The apartment belonged to a young couple and the man had been sleeping on their couch. They had not seen him since him since Christmas the previous year. His small collection of possessions were still there, but they assumed he had gone back to the city of Lafayette, where his family lived. The man's family had not heard from him in several years and had no idea where he had been.

The detective wrote in his report that the man committed suicide, most likely because he thought no one cared about him.

In another thread, someone was very upset that missing males don't get the same coverage as missing white females. So, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Brian Laundrie who went missing. It's possible in theory that someone killed him. I'm just saying...

I didn't pay attention to this till the police bodycam video came across my feed a few days ago, and I started watching and ended up watching the whole thing. From that video, I wondered whether it could have been a self defense situation, because she was the one that was going to be charged for assault. ICYMI, they were stopped for driving erratically in Utah. From their own accounts, she did hit him while he was driving and also earlier in the day, and he had visible marks on his face and arms. The police even talked to a witness on the phone who had witnessed the earlier altercation, and said the woman was the aggressor. So, the police were considering charging her alone, but ultimately decided not to and just to ask them to spend the night apart. The police were exceedingly accommodating to them, so polite and generous. They made arrangements to get the guy a room for the night, to be covered by the local women's shelter. She was to take the van on her own.

Anyway, she was very anxious and crying and did seem like she could have mental health issues, and maybe she could have been the abuser. She was apologetic about what she did to him. He also came off anxious, but less so, and he put it to having police lights flash behind him. They were both very cooperative and mild mannered and blabby, more so than any attorney would advise. They admitted way too much.

So, I was wondering at first whether maybe she might have attacked him one day and he was defending himself and it got out of hand.
/
BUT THEN, a couple of days ago, it was reported there was another 911 call on that same day (8/12) of the stop, and this caller said he saw the guy slapping the woman several times. And then another story came out that a diner at a Wyoming restaurant recalled seeing Brian arguing aggressively with a waitress there on 8/27, 2 days before Gabby was last heard from. And there are reports now that friends of the couple say they had a rocky relationship, he was controlling and jealous.

It's been like a Dateline episode where they bury the lede of all the obvious incriminating evidence until the end. I mean as to motive, he always obviously killed her or at least knew what happened to her. But now I suspect her anxiety on display during the stop could be because he made her like that.

Anyway, fuck this guy. He is probably hiding out, hope the crocs get him, if he is even in the woods, which could be a diversion.

I wonder how the UT police feel now about how they handled it. Probably nothing they could have done to change things though.

I didn't pay attention to this till the police bodycam video came across my feed a few days ago, and I started watching and ended up watching the whole thing. From that video, I wondered whether it could have been a self defense situation, because she was the one that was going to be charged for assault. ICYMI, they were stopped for driving erratically in Utah. From their own accounts, she did hit him while he was driving and also earlier in the day, and he had visible marks on his face and arms. The police even talked to a witness on the phone who had witnessed the earlier altercation, and said the woman was the aggressor. So, the police were considering charging her alone, but ultimately decided not to and just to ask them to spend the night apart. The police were exceedingly accommodating to them, so polite and generous. They made arrangements to get the guy a room for the night, to be covered by the local women's shelter. She was to take the van on her own.

Anyway, she was very anxious and crying and did seem like she could have mental health issues, and maybe she could have been the abuser. She was acapologetic about what she did to him. He also come off anxious, less so, and he put it to having police lights flash behind him. They were both very cooperative and blabby, more so than any attorney would advise. They admitted way too much.

So, I was wondering whether maybe she might have attacked him one day and he was defending himself and it got out of hand.

BUT, then a couple of days ago, it was reported there was another 911 call on that same day of the stop, and this caller said he saw the guy had slapped the woman several times. And then there was another story that a diner at a Wyoming restaurant recalled seeing Brian arguing aggressively with a waitress there on 8/27, 2 days before Gabby was last heard from. And there are reports now that friends of the couple say they had a rocky relationship, he was controlling and jealous.

It's been like a Dateline episode where the bury the lede of all the obvious incriminating evidence until the end. Now I suspect her anxiety on display during the stop could be because he made her like that.

Anyway, fuck this guy. He is probably hiding out, hope the crocs get him, if he is even in the woods, which could be a diversion.

I wonder how the UT police feel now about how they handled it. Probably nothing they could have done to change things though.

You know a lot of things are possible. We're talking Utah. So maybe the police are very conservative MRAs who automatically took his side. Or maybe they were very just and she actually was at fault. It's possible he was defending himself in some situation, leading to things getting out of hand, or it is possible he wanted revenge and killed her. It's very unlikely but still possible she stormed off at some point and then a third party took advantage of her. A woman being alone in a park (or whatever) is a big target by predator types. Forensics should answer that question very quickly. We don't have that information though it seems very unlikely because it requires a big coincidence. It's also possible that the fiance went to pray in the swamp and an alligator ate him. So maybe he's not hiding out at all. Neighbors recently claimed something about his parents and him leaving days ago in a camper and so maybe they supplied him and he's up in Alaska. Maybe he starved to death in the woods. It isn't 100% certain based on physical evidence we have access to that he killed her, let alone that it was murder as opposed to some other criminal conviction or other. Perhaps that will change very shortly.

Okay, not 100%, just 99%

Back
Top Bottom