• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Multi-Billionaire Oprah Whines About Sexism & Income Inequality At DNC

We probably all experience racial or sexual prejudice in some form or another. But it is mostly the young white men trying to get a college degree who do experience most of the prejudice these days.
What makes you believe that?
The insane online fringe bullshit RVsonse laughably describes as "news". You know, the Alex Jones-esque crap normal intelligent people recognise as bullshit.

No, I’m not a “European American”, I would never present myself as a “European American”. I am a naturalized US citizen so I could go back to my country of origin which is in Europe.
You are a European American then.

Geographically I was from the region, I guess. But I don’t identify as European, just American. I’ve lived here 30 years, why would I identify as European American? Because it suits you? Nah.

Oprah is a citizen of the United States she was born here, not naturalized like you so why would she go back to Africa?

I don’t know why she would go back to the country of her roots. I doubt she would ever leave this hell hole fascist country of the USA to go to Africa but she certainly could if she wanted to.
Africa is not a country. Incidentally, many American citizens of European origin identify in a sense with a country their parents or grandparents come from (yet still rightly consider themselves American). For example Irish-Americans or Italian-Americans.

Lincoln presided over the largest formal mass execution of Native American prisoners in our nation's history. I am told that "no one is perfect".
No one is perfect. Even great people sometimes commit shameful acts. Lincoln’s efforts to ‘repatriate’ freed slaves was based on a very imperfect understanding of the history and needs of freed slaves and, at the time, may have seemed to be actually progressive. Of course it was no more ‘progressive’ than attempting to re-patriate descendants of European of Asian settlers.

It is extremely difficult to come to terms with the limitations of those we know to be great in their achievements to and yet shameful in certain aspects of their lives. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson leap to mind as obvious American heroes with woeful histories of enslaving people.

I am well aware of the hanging of 38 ( one sentence was commuted) hangings of more than 300 Dakota following the Dakota War of 1862. There is very little, if anything, not shameful about the history of White people and their treatment of indigenous peoples in the US and elsewhere in the world.
No, I’m not a “European American”, I would never present myself as a “European American”. I am a naturalized US citizen so I could go back to my country of origin which is in Europe.
You are a European American then.

Geographically I was from the region, I guess. But I don’t identify as European, just American. I’ve lived here 30 years, why would I identify as European American? Because it suits you? Nah.

Oprah is a citizen of the United States she was born here, not naturalized like you so why would she go back to Africa?

I don’t know why she would go back to the country of her roots. I doubt she would ever leave this hell hole fascist country of the USA to go to Africa but she certainly could if she wanted to.
why don’t you leave this fascist hell hole of a country since you are so unhappy

Makes more sense that someone who was born here going back to any of the countries one of their ancestors once lived in.

Africa is not a country.
Captain obvious has entered the chat.
Incidentally, many American citizens of European origin identify in a sense with a country their parents or grandparents come from (yet still rightly consider themselves American). For example Irish-Americans or Italian-Americans.

Yes, of course some people do. Probably quite a lot but I don’t think it’s of much interest other than when making small talk.

why don’t you leave this fascist hell hole of a country since you are so unhappy
You misunderstand, I’m not the unhappy one here. It is billionaire Oprah standing at the pulpit telling everyone what a racist fascist hell hole country the USA is who gives the impression of not being happy.

You misunderstand, I’m not the unhappy one here. It is billionaire Oprah standing at the pulpit telling everyone what a racist fascist hell hole country the USA is who gives the impression of not being happy.
I’m not certain you were actually paying attention tin to Oprah.

Not much to be honest.

We probably all experience racial or sexual prejudice in some form or another. But it is mostly the young white men trying to get a college degree who do experience most of the prejudice these days.
What makes you believe that?
Non-stop consumption of white nationalist content?

Not much to be honest.
So you had no idea what you were whining about?

Except she never called the country a racist fascist hell hole. Nor did she imply it. So where did you come up with that crap? The same place where you get your rapture-cult-like denial of the obvious fact of human-caused climate change?

The OP wasn't criticizing her for being wealthy, but for being wealthy while also talking about wealth inequality. I'm not sure why you are unable to notice that part in bold.

Oh, we do notice it. And the answer, also bolded for your attention, is, so what?

Your complaint would only make sense if she were claiming that SHE is a victim of wealth inequality, but she wasn’t doing that. She was talking about OTHER PEOPE who are so victims. And wealthy people complaining about wealth inequality in that way is entirely to be commended.

Lincoln presided over the largest formal mass execution of Native American prisoners in our nation's history. I am told that "no one is perfect".
No one is perfect. Even great people sometimes commit shameful acts. Lincoln’s efforts to ‘repatriate’ freed slaves was based on a very imperfect understanding of the history and needs of freed slaves and, at the time, may have seemed to be actually progressive. Of course it was no more ‘progressive’ than attempting to re-patriate descendants of European of Asian settlers.

It is extremely difficult to come to terms with the limitations of those we know to be great in their achievements to and yet shameful in certain aspects of their lives. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson leap to mind as obvious American heroes with woeful histories of enslaving people.

I am well aware of the hanging of 38 ( one sentence was commuted) hangings of more than 300 Dakota following the Dakota War of 1862. There is very little, if anything, not shameful about the history of White people and their treatment of indigenous peoples in the US and elsewhere in the world.

Lincoln commuted the death sentences of the vast majority who had been convicted.

The OP wasn't criticizing her for being wealthy, but for being wealthy while also talking about wealth inequality. I'm not sure why you are unable to notice that part in bold.

Oh, we do notice it. And the answer, also bolded for your attention, is, so what?

Your complaint would only make sense if she were claiming that SHE is a victim of wealth inequality, but she wasn’t doing that. She was talking about OTHER PEOPE who are so victims. And wealthy people complaining about wealth inequality in that way is entirely to be commended.
Here's a transcript of Oprah's actual words at the DNC:

Africa is not a country.
Captain obvious has entered the chat.
Incidentally, many American citizens of European origin identify in a sense with a country their parents or grandparents come from (yet still rightly consider themselves American). For example Irish-Americans or Italian-Americans.

Yes, of course some people do. Probably quite a lot but I don’t think it’s of much interest other than when making small talk.
So, if you make an erroneous claim, that is detected as obviously false by others, your defense is going to be that you knew you made a false statement, instead of acknowledging your mistake.

She has long been known for her philanthropy. She founded several charitable organizations with her own money, contributed heavily to efforts to help those facing devastation as a result of Hurricane Katrina, and dozens more philanthropic efforts domestically and internationally.
Being (appearing) charitable was part of her business plan.

She has long been known for her philanthropy. She founded several charitable organizations with her own money, contributed heavily to efforts to help those facing devastation as a result of Hurricane Katrina, and dozens more philanthropic efforts domestically and internationally.
I was not aware that you were acquainted?

I was not aware that you were acquainted?
Now you are.

First: I am NOT particularly an Oprah Winfrey fan, and have barely watched her at all. Life is short. There are Clint Eastwood movies I want to watch or re-watch, and even a few (very few!) Humphrey Bogart movies I've not seen. I do catch a few glimpses of Oprah when clicking around, and even watched a bit of her recent DNC speech. I did not see her whining.

I recently suggested that the English-speaking members of this board, when using English words, adopt the words' English meanings. There are dictionaries that Google finds easily that may help. Do I need to repeat that suggestion in this thread?

Was Ms. Winfrey actually whining, @RVonse ? You did not inject this word into the middle of a random sentence hoping it would pass unnoticed; you presented it proudly in OP title.

It might be fun to have a Poll question where politicians are matched to the verbs that best describes their speech. Trump = growl, sneer, disparage and jeer; Tucker and Boebert whimper and stupefy; Walz chats; Harris laughs; the Obamas orate; and so on.

But does or did Oprah really "whine"? Or is this just what the Ilk comes up with in a Thesaurus hunt for "voicing opinions I don't like"?

. . . How stupid are the Democrat supporters to actually fall for this shit?
I didn't read the thread; and thus am probably making points others made. The utter ignorance, stupidity and ... yes ... HYPOCRISY of the first post stunned me.. . .
I recoil from OP in disgust.

Was I rude to RVonse for not detailing his faults? I figured others were already trying to educate him, and further criticism would just provoke more bitterness, hypocrisy and, yes, possibly WHINING! 8-)

BTW, Oprah Winfrey had a small role in an award-winning movie, but she's so unfamiliar to me I didn't even recognize her when I watched the movie. She's not happy in the scene, but doesn't "whine."

Back
Top Bottom