• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New report on climate change released today

Isn't that called world wide seasons?

Not in the context of what you posted.

I'm not sure what is a "world wide season" either. There is no such thing.

You don't understand seasons? You know, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring! :p

We don't have winter at once across the world, even though Santa Claus mythology may have told you so. The northern and southern hemisphere have winter at different times.

seasons.en.jpg

It has to do with your claim about worldwide winters and summers.

And besides that, his bringing up seasons was irrelevant to my question. He brought up cold weather in the northeastern US on Thanksgiving 2018 to counter my account of the change in summer climate down here. Last time I checked Thanksgiving has occurred during the same season as long as Thanksgiving has been a thing. So his bringing up seasons does nothing to address mean or the distribution of data around that mean. These are very important things to consider, especially with the natural variability of temperature at those northern latitudes where there is a frequent switching of airmasses in late fall.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this because I don't keep up with this thread. Would burying carbon from farming be an effective solution to some of the climate change issues?

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/indigo-agricultures-bold-plan-reward-farmers-burying-1-trillion-tons-co2-soil

Chappell knew he needed a new approach. Herbicides weren’t cutting it. So he researched organic farming and decided to test growing cereal rye as a cover crop to control weeds on a 300-acre corn field. Chappell immediately saw a decline in weeds, but he also noticed other benefits. The soil was easier to work, the field didn’t have standing water after rain, and his irrigation timings were half of what they used to be.

That success set Chappell on the path of regenerative agriculture, an approach to farming that focuses on soil health and overall resiliency through management techniques such as minimal or no tillage, crop rotation and cover cropping. "I just dove in with both feet," he said. "It opened a whole new way of thinking and farming. It’s actually made this job enjoyable again."

Soil health is Chappell’s primary focus, and with this week’s launch of the Terraton Initiative, he — and other farmers across the United States — soon might be able to tap into a market that will reward them financially for that approach.

Spearheaded by the ag-tech company Indigo Agriculture, the Terraton Initiative has an ambitious goal of removing 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere by sequestering it in agricultural soil. At the heart of the Terraton Initiative is a new market, Indigo Carbon, that will pay farmers — initially $15 to $20 per ton of carbon — to implement regenerative practices such as "no till" that reduce or remove carbon from the atmosphere. The initiative also includes an open-source, long-term study on soil carbon, in partnership with the Soil Health Institute, and a series of competitions with monetary awards for farmers.

"At the core of why we’re doing this, is it feels urgent and important," Indigo Agriculture CEO David Perry told GreenBiz. "The potential for agricultural soils to capture and store atmospheric carbon dioxide is the most hopeful solution I know of to address climate change."
Atmospheric carbon dioxide today exceeds 415 parts per million, an increase of roughly 1 trillion tons of carbon since the pre-industrial level of 280 ppm. Increasing carbon in soil back to native levels of nearly 3 percent could sequester 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, claimed Perry, who bases his calculations on data from NOAA (PDF).

Is this an overly optimistic claim? Would this be a good start to reducing atmospheric carbon dioxide? I don't have the background to evaluate the claim but perhaps someone here does.

We are saying that the messenger is sufficiently unreliable that it should not be considered evidence that needs refuting. If it's right find a decent source.

So you can't find anything in that PDF to refute right?

I didn't try, the site isn't credible in the first place.

Isn't credible? So it must be wrong on every count right? Isn't that wearing blinkers or ignoring whatever doesn't match your ideology? It's just like cultists shutting themselves off from the real world and following their fake god.

Isn't credible? So it must be wrong on every count right? Isn't that wearing blinkers or ignoring whatever doesn't match your ideology? It's just like cultists shutting themselves off from the real world and following their fake god.

No that's you. You're trying to proselytize. No one has to look at your right-wing religious book, even if there's one thing right in it. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but don't force people to stare at the clock and record when it's right and when it's wrong. No one has to do that work for you. We can use reliable clocks (peer-reviewed publications) instead.

Well the site wanted me to log in with google or facebook to download. That's a no. Maybe the con man Mike Adams can just post it up on NaturalNews. As for credibility. Natural News posts lies and disinformation about GMO crops, vaccines, medicine, chemtrails/geoengineering conspiracy theories, he says that the school massacre at Marjorie Stoneman Douglass High School was a hoax and has been harrassing the victims, he reposts bullshit from RT, and sells prepper crap. So no, he has no credibility on any topic. His site started as a snakeoil site selling bullshit health products and has morphed into a massive steaming pile of right wing disinformation bullshit. I really like how in the early days he registered a crap load of sites and linked them all together to promote his primary site so it would rise high in search results. That's always the mark of an honest broker. Maybe I should trust a guy that was selling real estate in Ecuador and marketing it as "free of Chemtrails". Most interesting about Mike Adams is that he has moved back to the states from Ecuador and it now partnered up with Alex Jones in Austin to complete his transition from kale chip and herbal supplement flogger to right wing conspiracy salesman. Makes you wonder if those to have been a package deal for some broader disinfo campaign.

If it's credible data someone else will have it.

Anyway, I looked to see what you were talking about--there's nothing there. All it says is that Facebook banned them. It even identifies them as a conspiracy outlet.

Forget the sources for one second, plus the over 31.000 scientists who signed a petition disclaiming that humans cause 100% of GW/CC/CD. The reality is and remains so for many decades to come is the reality is, today solar and wind energy together deliver about 1% of global energy.

The International Energy Agency estimates that even by 2040 these will cover perhaps a little more than 4% of global energy. Former adviser to the con artist Al Gore when he was VP. Jim Hansen, who in reality put global warming on the agenda back in 1988 agreed saying " suggesting that renewables will let us phase out rapidly fossil fuels in the US, India, China or the world as a whole is almost the equivalent of believing in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy."

Talk about vested interests promoting fossil fuels has it's equivalent in vested interests promoting so called " green" techs such as Tesla, wind turbine manufactures and solar panels which are mainly produced in China and exported throughout the world. It is also estimated that by 2040, China alone will increase it's emissions by around 70%.

India, another 50-70% as both nations are building fossil fuel burning power stations at the rate of almost 1 per day. There are still many millions of Indians or Chinese who today have no access to cheap power we in the West take for granted.

That's not to mention millions of other third world nation's people in Africa and elsewhere who also don't have access to cheap reliable power.

Forget the sources for one second, plus the over 31.000 scientists who signed a petition disclaiming that humans cause 100% of GW/CC/CD. The reality is and remains so for many decades to come is the reality is, today solar and wind energy together deliver about 1% of global energy.

"...and that ain't gonna change as long as my right wing heroes can pump one more drop of oil out of the ground!"

When the oil is all gone there will still be wind, and lots and lots of solar energy, captured in record amounts by an atmosphere polluted with carbon that had been sequestered for hundreds of millions of years...

When did a totally myopic view of humanity's future become the mainstay of conservative "thought"?

I think we can all agree that when the leader of the world's largest pedophile ring and peddler of superstitious mumbo jumbo has something to say about the "climate crisis/emergency", we should sit up and take notice;

Pope Francis has declared a global “climate emergency”, warning of the dangers of global heating and that a failure to act urgently to reduce greenhouse gases would be “a brutal act of injustice toward the poor and future generations”. He also endorsed the 1.5C limit on temperature rises that some countries are now aiming for, referring to warnings from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change of “catastrophic” effects if we crossed such a threshold. He said a “radical energy transition” would be needed to stay within that limit, and urged young people and businesses to take a leading role.

Teh Gruaniad

I know I won't. It is no surprise that that the pope would be on board with the Rapture like cult that is the "climate crisis" or whatever it is this month. But Teh Gruaniad :rolleyesa:

I think we can all agree that when the leader of the world's largest pedophile ring and peddler of superstitious mumbo jumbo has something to say about the "climate crisis/emergency", we should sit up and take notice;

Pope Francis has declared a global “climate emergency”, warning of the dangers of global heating and that a failure to act urgently to reduce greenhouse gases would be “a brutal act of injustice toward the poor and future generations”. He also endorsed the 1.5C limit on temperature rises that some countries are now aiming for, referring to warnings from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change of “catastrophic” effects if we crossed such a threshold. He said a “radical energy transition” would be needed to stay within that limit, and urged young people and businesses to take a leading role.

Teh Gruaniad

I know I won't. It is no surprise that that the pope would be on board with the Rapture like cult that is the "climate crisis" or whatever it is this month. But Teh Gruaniad :rolleyesa:
I wasn't aware that climate monitoring and climate change analysis was being headed by the Catholic Church. But points for using child abuse for political points on the climate.

Back
Top Bottom