• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL 2022/2023

Franco Harris has died, two days before the 50th anniversary of his “Immaculate Reception”. Quite a shock. I remember watching that game and trying to figure out WTH happened. The controversy over whether it was a legal catch went on for years.

He was apparently a great person off the field, active with charities and social causes. There’s a big celebration of the event Saturday , with his number being retired, etc. The tone will change for that.

I actually felt sorry for Wilson. He went from Seattle where he was getting pummeled by defenses to Denver where he is getting punnled by defenses.

Here in Raiderland we had an interesting week. Football Jesus was benched, his fanatical supporters collectively shit their collective drawers over it, predicted the team would immediately fold, and rooted for the team to lose.

While the Raiders did lose, the Carr Cult was wrong about everything else. We may have found our QB of the future. In his first NFL start the guy had an excellent game against the league's No. 1 rated defense and played better than Football Jesus in any game this season (and last season for that matter).

On Raider specific websites, the religious and Fresno State fanatics have largely disappeared and the fanbase is quickly beginning to resemble a more normal state of affairs than the Jim Jones-like group that's plagued us for nearly a decade.

I actually felt sorry for Wilson. He went from Seattle where he was getting pummeled by defenses to Denver where he is getting punnled by defenses.
But he has established a record in Denver that will probably never be broken:

Most boring team in the history of the universe.

Also: Fewest points in a season (so far) at 256.

Here in Raiderland we had an interesting week. Football Jesus was benched, his fanatical supporters collectively shit their collective drawers over it, predicted the team would immediately fold, and rooted for the team to lose.

While the Raiders did lose, the Carr Cult was wrong about everything else. We may have found our QB of the future. In his first NFL start the guy had an excellent game against the league's No. 1 rated defense and played better than Football Jesus in any game this season (and last season for that matter).

On Raider specific websites, the religious and Fresno State fanatics have largely disappeared and the fanbase is quickly beginning to resemble a more normal state of affairs than the Jim Jones-like group that's plagued us for nearly a decade.
There are Ravens fans who want Carr if Lamar can’t be retained. That makes me ill.

Thinking about the Bills’ player who collapsed on the field tonight.
Game postponed, player (Devar Hamlin) now reportedly in critical condition.😢

about the same amount of time from hit to collapse for this purported commotio cordis event.

There are Ravens fans who want Carr if Lamar can’t be retained. That makes me ill.
It should. Those weirdos are a pox on any fanbase.

Carr's a good backup that's been propped up the Raiders for 9 years.

I still resent the Ravers and that bucket of lard flopping on Gannon back in the AFC championship game, so I'd love to see Carr become a Raven.

I still resent the Ravers and that bucket of lard flopping on Gannon back in the AFC championship game, so I'd love to see Carr become a Raven.
Steve McNair couldn’t beat that defense. Kerry Collins dropped 40 on the Vikings in the NFC Championship game, but didn’t score a single point against that defense. Gannon wouldn’t have done any better. But he still resents them, so I guess you should too. 😄

Man, it takes a player almost dying to have a game end at a decent time on MNF.

I'll let myself out.

Sounds like he is in stable condition though.

They started CPR real quick, so it’s unlikely that he suffered brain damage from oxygen deprivation. Hopefully he recovers as fully as possible, given what he experienced.

Outgoing Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) bashed conservative activist Charlie Kirk for his comments seemingly fueling anti-vaccine conspiracy theories after football star Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest during the first quarter of a match against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night.

Hamlin received on-field medical attention for more than half an hour before being taken to a local hospital, where he's now in a critical condition.

According to a statement by the Buffalo Bills, his heartbeat was restored on the field.

In a tweet, Kirk claimed that the collapse of the 24-year-old Buffalo Bills player fits in a series of recent incidents involving "athletes dropping suddenly," something he said has become an "all too familiar sight right now."
POS!

Outgoing Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) bashed conservative activist Charlie Kirk for his comments seemingly fueling anti-vaccine conspiracy theories after football star Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest during the first quarter of a match against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night.

Hamlin received on-field medical attention for more than half an hour before being taken to a local hospital, where he's now in a critical condition.

According to a statement by the Buffalo Bills, his heartbeat was restored on the field.

In a tweet, Kirk claimed that the collapse of the 24-year-old Buffalo Bills player fits in a series of recent incidents involving "athletes dropping suddenly," something he said has become an "all too familiar sight right now."
POS!
Two seconds of Google found me this list of soccer players who collapsed on-field before COVID was even a thing:

FABRICE MUAMBA

The Bolton Wanderers midfielder collapsed on the pitch in an FA Cup match in 2012 due to a cardiac arrest and was technically "dead" for 78 minutes before he was revived. The former England under-21 midfielder had to retire soon after at the age of 24.

BAFETIMBI GOMIS

The French striker has collapsed several times on the pitch due to a medical condition which causes him to faint. He has collapsed playing for Swansea City, Galatasaray and Al-Hilal.

MARC-VIVIEN FOE

The Cameroon midfielder collapsed during a Confederations Cup match in 2003. Medical staff attempted to resuscitate the 28-year-old on the pitch before taking him off on a stretcher.

However, they failed in their attempts to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead.

ANTONIO PUERTA

The Sevilla midfielder collapsed while jogging back in the first game of the 2007-08 La Liga season against Getafe and, though he walked off the pitch after being helped by medical staff, he collapsed again in the dressing room.

Puerta, a Spain international, was rushed to hospital, where he died three days later of "multiple organ failure" due to a cardiac arrest at the age of 22.

CHEICK TIOTE

Four months after leaving Newcastle United, the midfielder fainted during a training session with Chinese club Beijing Enterprises. The 30-year-old Ivorian died in hospital.

MIKLOS FEHER

The Hungary striker was playing for Portuguese side Benfica against Vitoria Guimaraes in January 2004 when he keeled over in pain before falling backwards onto the pitch after a heart attack.

Medics attempted to resuscitate the unconscious 24-year-old before he was taken off on a stretcher and rushed to hospital. Doctors tried to revive him for nearly 90 minutes before he was pronounced dead

Source: https://sportstar.thehindu.com/foot...o-2020-football-news/article34801831.ece/amp/

That list is from an article about Christian Eriksen, who collapsed on-field at the Euro 2020 tournament (which, as the name suggests, was played in 2021. Wait, what?).

Top athletes die from heart failure surprisingly regularly, and always have. Despite being self selected as highly fit and well trained young men, they are also self selected as highly motivated to push themselves beyond the usual limits if human endurance and exertion, and when you push that envelope, some people are inevitably going to go one step too far. (It's therefore vitally important not to obey your coach when he tells you to give 110% - there's a limit at 100% for a reason).

Steve McNair couldn’t beat that defense. Kerry Collins dropped 40 on the Vikings in the NFC Championship game, but didn’t score a single point against that defense. Gannon wouldn’t have done any better. But he still resents them, so I guess you should too. 😄
I do tend to think we would've lost that game anyway, but it was one of the dirtier and certainly one of the most purposeful acts committed with the intent of taking out a specific player.

The Titans, Raiders, and Ravens would've all beaten whomever the NFC representative was and that bucket of shit Siragusa made sure it was going to be the Ravens.

I would have liked to have seen if Gannon could've adjusted and made some things happen. He was a cerebral player and may have been able to figure it out.

Hopefully that is the last game Rodgers has played for Green Bay. I'm not blaming him for last night's loss but the Packers need to rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom