• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Uh-oh, Packers QB Aaron Rodgers tests positive for Covid and will miss Sunday's game against the Chiefs. Hmm, I'm not too worried as the Chiefs are not at their best right now.
Rodgers is so incredibly selfish. He might miss a second game. But I hope that he gets an additional suspension for not following league precools and lying about it.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Spoken like true left wing authoritarian. I was in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days and had a great time. Didn’t wear a mask the entire time I was there. Hardly anyone wears a mask there.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
More calamity for the Jets, aptly a game ending interception after the ball was tipped.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Spoken like true left wing authoritarian. I was in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days and had a great time. Didn’t wear a mask the entire time I was there. Hardly anyone wears a mask there.
Well, let's move the bizzaro aliens eating pituitary glands anti vaccine discussion to the political thread. In this case, a leader of billion dollar company, the Green Bay Packers, whose is a superbowl contender, didn't follow the rules, and will miss 10 days. Maybe more. His selfishness might cost his team a superbowl run.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Poor poor Aaron Rodgers.
article said:
Green Bay Packers star quarterback Aaron Rodgers confirmed he is unvaccinated against Covid-19 and is disappointed with the treatment he's been receiving in the media while appearing on The Pat McAfee Show on Friday.

"I realize I'm in the crosshairs of the woke mob right now," Rodgers said. "So, before my final nail gets put in my cancel culture casket, I think I would like to set the record straight on so many of the blatant lies that are out there about myself."

Rodgers said the media was on a "witch hunt" to find out which players were vaccinated and blamed reporters for him saying he was "immunized" back in August.

The 37-year-old Rodgers said if any reporter would have asked a follow-up question, he would have explained he's "not an anti-vax flat earther," but that he's a "critical thinker."
He isn't anti-vax, he is a "critical thinker". And "woke" mob. The term "woke" seems to get applied to anything that deemed inconvenient. These damn woke cops and their speed limits. Damn CDC and their woke Covid-19 protocols. Darn woke women and their insistence I get "arrested" for putting webcams in the Women's Locker Room.

So about that "critical thinking"?
Aaron Rodgers (Hall of Fame QB / Immunologist) said:
The vaccines do offer some protection for sure but there is a lot we don't know about them.
Well... just to be clear, umm... your knowledge of vaccines isn't the breadth of what is known by the medical profession.
There is a lot to natural immunity. ... If you have gotten Covid and recovered from it, that's the best boost to immunity you can have.
Yup... critical thinking.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Rodgers has gone cuckoo bananas. 🍌🍌 🍌

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Rodgers has gone cuckoo bananas. 🍌🍌 🍌
Could someone tell me why he is so upset? He's such a drama queen! He agreed to the rules. If a player decides to not get vaccinated, they have follow a certain protocol to protect others. He agreed to that. So what is he crying about?

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I’m a little bit excited and a little bit nervous at the prospect of Jordan Love starting against the Chiefs. I anticipate a lot of running the ball and short passes if LaFleur doesn’t trust him. It’s really hard to predict how this game will go but I think Love and the Packers will come through for the win.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I’m a little bit excited and a little bit nervous at the prospect of Jordan Love starting against the Chiefs. I anticipate a lot of running the ball and short passes if LaFleur doesn’t trust him. It’s really hard to predict how this game will go but I think Love and the Packers will come through for the win.
I agree. I think that the Packers are a very well round team (is their WR1 playing or hurt?). It also bothered me that Rodgers got upset that the Packers "drafted his replacement". Every QB in history has had his team draft his eventual replacement at sometime. I think that Love will surprise some.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Could someone tell me why he is so upset?

Could be he's embarrassed he was caught lying about being vaccinated back in August.

He denies he lied though because he was on some homeopathic regime. See, he's a "critical thinker" who gets medical advice from the renown virologist Joe Rogan. He took ivermectin AND hydroxychloroquine.

Jeopardy sure can pick them.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
Josh Allen gets sacked and picked off by … Josh Allen, as the Bills lose a field goal contest to the Jags?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Patriots are the best 2-4 team in the NFL.

Shares in this post are up 600%.

:D

Mac Jones to me has looked weaker in the last two games, both games the Patriots won. Running game is improving and the Pats defense has performed pretty well this year.

I think I feel comfortable saying the Patriots are a 50-50 team among teams that are 5-4. I’m not expecting any miracle.

What I will say is that this reminds me of 2001-02, a bit. Good defense with a viable but not perfect running game clicking seconds off the clock.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
You’re never as good as you look when you’re winning or as bad as you look when you’re losing.
But I was still surprised to see Denver, a known hotbed of mediocrity, put a 30-0 hurtin’ on the vaunted 6-1 Dallas Cowpersons, before allowing a couple of late touchdowns to burn the last few minutes off the clock.
Their first win against a team with a winning record this season.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Glad to see the Brownies have a solid game and beat down a solid team now that Princess Odell is out of the locker room.
You’re free Odell. Fly.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Cowboys - talented, but coach is an idiot
Browns - improved their team immensely by cutting Beckham
Rams - Stafford is, and always has been, a stat machine, but not a winner
Titans - do people not know they've got a solid team even without Henry?
Bengals - they apparently played their Super Bowl two weeks ago, and are on vacation
Bills - what the actual f***, Buffalo? LOL at Josh Allen sacking and intercepting Josh Allen
Ravens - 6-2; they'd be 2-6 without Jackson and Tucker; lost yet another starter for the season, had another shot in the leg at a party

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Browns take on the Pats next week and while the Browns are a better team, I think the coaching will put New England to 6-4.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Could someone tell me why he is so upset?

Could be he's embarrassed he was caught lying about being vaccinated back in August.

He denies he lied though because he was on some homeopathic regime. See, he's a "critical thinker" who gets medical advice from the renown virologist Joe Rogan. He took ivermectin AND hydroxychloroquine.

Jeopardy sure can pick them.

But now we know why Rodgers can be such a flaky odd prima-donna. He's backup is very average. With Rodgers, Green Bowl are one of the very best teams in the NFL. Without him, they are very average. Or even below average.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Well, without Rodgers the Packers really struggled. Sadly, Love did not perform at the level needed against a sub par chiefs. Love threw a couple of decent passes but overall he just wasn't at the level needed to get the ball down the field. Packers touchdown came from a badly missed tackle but at least it was something. Hopefully Rodgers will be back for the game against Seattle.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
You’re never as good as you look when you’re winning or as bad as you look when you’re losing.
But I was still surprised to see Denver, a known hotbed of mediocrity, put a 30-0 hurtin’ on the vaunted 6-1 Dallas Cowpersons, before allowing a couple of late touchdowns to burn the last few minutes off the clock.
Their first win against a team with a winning record this season.

Watched that game, at least most of it, because they cut out with six minutes left at 30-0 to switch to a "more competitive contest." I was later surprised to see the extra 16 points in the final score. Sure, the game wasn't in doubt, but I like to see the end of a game I start. I assume they didn't cut out in Dallas or Denver, but I thought the Cowboys were America's team. What a slap in the face to America, Fox. 😡

I was watching to see how Prescott would look, and he looked healthy enough, but he and his receivers were both off a lot. Everything that could go wrong went wrong, which appears to be the theme for other upset favorites yesterday, like the Bills and the Rams.

Rams - Stafford is, and always has been, a stat machine, but not a winner

I don't think that's fair to say yet. Believe me, I'm not sold on him so far, as my neighbors can attest, who hadn't heard so much loud cursing coming from my direction, in at least weeks since the MLB playoffs. But I'll give him the season at least. Winner Mahomes has also had some stinkers this year. The loss wasn't quite Stafford's fault alone. He was sacked 5 times, while only 7 times previously. They also had 12 penalties and had been leading the league with the fewest.

Most mad that 2 of the other NFC leaders also had losses that Rams couldn't capitalize upon.

That AZ won easily with Murray out says a lot about the state of the conference.

Browns take on the Pats next week and while the Browns are a better team, I think the coaching will put New England to 6-4.

Not if NE ends up with OBJ. 🧠

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
OBJ will function properly with a QB Rehoboth can make the throws for the routes he’s asked to run. Baker wasn’t that guy.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
I turned off the Monday night game early, only to wake up to learn of a narrow Steelers victory, plus more accusations of officiating incompetence or possible game-fixing than I have seen in decades. And not just from Bears fans; even Steeler fans are wondering WTF was going on.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The Steelers coach was tearing into the player post the taunting call, and there was a needless staring at the opposing sideline. Seem like a warning would have been better as it wasn’t egregious.

But the NFL has their weird random when it matters penalty system.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I turned off the Monday night game early, only to wake up to learn of a narrow Steelers victory, plus more accusations of officiating incompetence or possible game-fixing than I have seen in decades. And not just from Bears fans; even Steeler fans are wondering WTF was going on.
I was wondering when the anti-reality Trump sickness would spread to the refusal to accept results of sporting events. Looks like we’re almost there.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I did not have much interest in the Bears Steelers game but it turned out to be an entertaining game.

Good news for the Packers as Rodgers should be able to play in a crucial game against the Seahawks.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
The loss wasn't quite Stafford's fault alone. He was sacked 5 times, while only 7 times previously.

I worry about Titans announcer Mike Keith's well being after having to make his patented SAAAAAK call that many times.

See first play in this video.

At least it was for a good cause.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
The Steelers coach was tearing into the player post the taunting call, and there was a needless staring at the opposing sideline. Seem like a warning would have been better as it wasn’t egregious.

But the NFL has their weird random when it matters penalty system.

I loathe the taunting rule completely, it's useless busybody micromanagement.

They say that it's meant to lessen "ill will" between teams. They have it backwards, there isn't enough ill will around. What they should ban are the postgame interteam hugging and make out sessions, that shit kills me every time.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Taunting is poor sportsmanship. What is an isn't allowed could be a bit less restrained. Teabagging a QB you just sacked should probably not be allowed. But a long stare down from mid-field at the opposing sideline... probably can let that go. Like I said, the ref tells him, 'dude, not necessary, I'll flag ya next time'. But in the NFL, that flag might come out or might not... and with almost no respect for how it impacts the game.

In the NFL these days, like a catch... no one is really certain what certain acts are penalties, regarding hits on QBs, hits to the head, and taunting (which really does seem like a not as important thing).

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
I can't blame the refs on the taunting, because they told them to call it tighter this year. A few years ago, they did that with the roughing the passer calls too, decided to make it stricter, and they were calling it for breathing on a guy.* But that loosened up after awhile and, hopefully, that will be the case with this too.

*Although, have to say I have been noticing more ticky tack roughing calls this year than last.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Outcome was disastrous for Browns. They looked good until final set of downs on their first drive. Missing the top running duo was apparent. Of course, Browns coaching ain’t outcoaching Belichick.

Cleveland need to find their soul before next year is a panic and they finish 2-15.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So, after contracting the most lethal, deadliest virus known to man, the unvaccinated Aaron Rodgers leads the Green Bay Packers to an 0-17 victory over the Seahawks. A miracle!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Myles Garrett... who unlike OBJ... actually is hall of fame bound and is a league leader in multiple ways... sounding off on the defensive coaching, of which as I noted, the Browns coaching isn't that good, without OBJ'ing it that way.
article said:
"We didn't make adjustments," Garrett said following the loss. "As in, they kept on scoring. And we weren't countering that. We need to be better."

He continued:

"So go back to the drawing board and see how we can get better, see how we can scheme better, see how we can make adjustments on the fly. We never had a chance, just because we didn't make any adjustments on the sideline or when we had time to."
Mayfield isn't a great QB, but the Browns coaching isn't great either, so Mayfield shouldn't get as much trouble for what happened. The Browns are 5-5, and this is the tipping point between getting better and falling apart. It is also time for reflection that being 5-5 isn't the end of the world! This franchise has suffered much worse.

The Patriots on the other hand have an interesting slate of games coming up.

Atlanta, struggling but in playoff hunt.
Tennessee, the Conference Leading team... no that wasn't a spelling error.
Buffalo with Josh Allen, a great defense, and the AFC East and a guaranteed spot in the playoffs on the line.
Indianapolis who are hitting stride like the Pats
Buffalo... no that isn't a spelling error.

Patriots run through this at 4-1 or 5-0, they are likely in the playoffs and maybe even a contender. Up to this point, it is nearly impossible to gauge where the Pats stand as they started slow due to injuries and a lot of new players, but seem to be improving, but haven't been beating the best teams. On the other hand, they lost a bunch of close games to good teams as well.

After the next six weeks, we'll know where they actually stand. Personally, I have no idea where they stand. Mac Jones could win the Super Bowl MVP this year... they could not make the playoffs. The parity is making things harder to understand. I'm still going with coaching winning the Super Bowl this year. And that puts the Pats automatically closer to the top.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Myles Garrett... who unlike OBJ... actually is hall of fame bound and is a league leader in multiple ways... sounding off on the defensive coaching, of which as I noted, the Browns coaching isn't that good, without OBJ'ing it that way.
article said:
"We didn't make adjustments," Garrett said following the loss. "As in, they kept on scoring. And we weren't countering that. We need to be better."

He continued:

"So go back to the drawing board and see how we can get better, see how we can scheme better, see how we can make adjustments on the fly. We never had a chance, just because we didn't make any adjustments on the sideline or when we had time to."
Mayfield isn't a great QB, but the Browns coaching isn't great either, so Mayfield shouldn't get as much trouble for what happened. The Browns are 5-5, and this is the tipping point between getting better and falling apart. It is also time for reflection that being 5-5 isn't the end of the world! This franchise has suffered much worse.
Agreed. However, they probably have the best offensive line in the NFL, great RBs and WRs, and a top 5 defense. You just have to wonder, what the heck is going on?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
article said:

He continued:

Agreed. However, they probably have the best offensive line in the NFL, great RBs and WRs, and a top 5 defense. You just have to wonder, what the heck is going on?
Inadequate coaching.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Rams and Stafford absolutely stinking it up tonight. Horrendous.

Still, it’s not quite Jets stinking.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Rams have had some very bad luck with their receivers. They're not very deep past the starters, and the reserves had injuries. They had DeSean Jackson, and I liked him, I thought he was doing a good job in his limited role, but it was too limited for his liking, and he left. Getting OBJ was a risk in that light since who knows if he'll accept a limited role as well. But they needed some bodies to fill in.

Then more bad news when Woods was lost for the year with an ACL, but I guess good news OBJ is there now?

But none of that matters anyways for the season, because the Rams are not going anywhere far with that defense. I will blame the coaching for this because the personnel is not that different from last year when they had the top defense.

On the bright side though, there are no standout teams right now, everyone is less than great.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist

Also saw that Bitonio called out the coaching, not a good vibe there.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Rams have had some very bad luck with their receivers. They're not very deep past the starters, and the reserves had injuries. They had DeSean Jackson, and I liked him, I thought he was doing a good job in his limited role, but it was too limited for his liking, and he left. Getting OBJ was a risk in that light since who knows if he'll accept a limited role as well. But they needed some bodies to fill in.

Then more bad news when Woods was lost for the year with an ACL, but I guess good news OBJ is there now?

But none of that matters anyways for the season, because the Rams are not going anywhere far with that defense. I will blame the coaching for this because the personnel is not that different from last year when they had the top defense.

On the bright side though, there are no standout teams right now, everyone is less than great.

Tampa v New England in Super Bowl as nation slits collective wrists.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
That's not out of question using last year as a guide, because TB was not looking good till a very late-season run, right after losing to the Rams.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
That's not out of question using last year as a guide, because TB was not looking good till a very late-season run, right after losing to the Rams.
Tampa has Brady. Brady is awesome, but he didn't make it to every Super Bowl, just half of them. :D

My awareness of the NFL Isn't too great, and there is a black hole in my mind about Tennessee. Every other team can be beaten and Covid-19 can still be a massive wildcard. It seems to be a system v system, who's healthy, who executes.

I still have no idea about the Patriots. We'll have a better idea in a 5 weeks. I thought the Bills were going to be fighting up against the Chiefs... and maybe they still will for the AFC.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Yipes. Poor Atlanta. That was a tough last few minutes to watch. You won the World Series... just keep that in mind. Patriots get a long weekend bonus before their Titans matchup.

What is funny is the Patriots weren't great on offense. They were in control, but only scored a lot of field goals. Is that a sign of butt kicking not in their favor against the Bills or Titans?

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
I'd call that win bad news for NE, they're peaking too early, will regress by postseason.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I'd call that win bad news for NE, they're peaking too early, will regress by postseason.
In general, the Patriots are still developing, in my opinion. Things are getting better, but again, their last two games were against inferior opponents.

Browns beat Lions 16-13. That is a win, but not a great one. Granted, the weather wasn't very nice, wet and 40.

Titans apparently got blitzed. After this weekend, the Patriots are one of the best looking (only good looking?) teams in the AFC (and the Titans). This is definitely out there. Also heard the Google server farm crashed when ESPN tried to run tiebreaker scenarios for the AFC.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Looking at the standings, I missed Kansas City who are 4-1 in their last five. So, based on recent play, Indy, NE, Kansas City, and Tennessee are the teams that are gelling. Though Indy has only Buffalo as a quality win... which is worse than New England, who have at least beaten the Chargers and the Browns. Not big scalps, but at least .500 or better.

In the NFC, no team is better than 3-2 in their last five. It is hilarious to think the Pats not only make the playoffs but get a bye. But Kansas City have beaten decent teams, though by tight scores, Dallas and Green Bay. So I think Kansas City are the prominent choice for top seed. And with Buffalo collapsing, hard to tell if we'll know where the Pats stand playoff wise until the playoffs. Which does render older memories back of how useless the regular season for the Patriots was becoming and us fans just waited for the playoffs to begin.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
I caught the last quarter of the GB-MN game. Lots of scoring back and forth, this time MN gets the last minute win. Cousins always seems to me too skilled to not be winning more. He did nearly lose this one at the end with a badly chosen throw that was called an interception but overturned. With Jefferson, he may finally have another decent receiver to go with Thielen.

Looks like nobody wants to win any title this year. Only one team with less than 3 losses with 7 weeks to go. Is Buffalo still a SB favorite? I don't bet on football, but this must be a tough year for gamblers to get a bead on anybody. Though there must always be some angles that can pay. I heard today before the game that Brady is 0 for his last 11 night games against the spread. Great, go all in!

Brady's now 1 for 12.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Watched the Chargers vs Steelers game last sunday night. What a game! Herbert was amazing. Of course I'm a duck and am biased, but Herbert is the man. I don't think that he has a ceiling. Tell me that I'm crazy, but if I were an NFL gm, and I could draft any player, I'd pick Herbert 1. Although, a very strong case could be made for Mahomes.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Get your NFL action before it is too late. Who knows whether Omnicron will screw up this season.

Three words: bubble, bubble, bubble.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
First game in four that Patriots gave up double digits, this time 13 points. Averaging less than 10 points a game conceded in their 6 game win streak. And are now second in points conceded (8 pts more than 1st place Buffalo who have a game in hand). I keep getting a stronger and stronger 2001 vibe. But the AFC is so weak, it is again impossible to tell how good they are. Buffalo woke up on Thursday. And they face New England next Monday.

Top Bottom