• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

Meanwhile in Cleveland, Safety Whitehead gets released after making a rather awful Tweet back in response to a commentators comment on Whitehead's performance that day.

A wise rule in life, when you have hit a point where you think you are ready to tell someone how you "really feel", it is best to hit the pause button.

Even with all that talent, the Browns are still a rolling dumpster fire.
The Browns got super hyper by the local media. The talent bought into the hyper. They were never making the playoffs this year. The Browns weren't awful yesterday, though open field tackling was an issue. They are making progress, but it should have been expected that it'd take more time to get Cleveland to a better place. Admittedly, their coaching isn't up to par for the NFL. But still, there is plenty of room to finish the second half of the season better than 4-4.

I'll be in a strange position twice in the next four weeks, having to root for Cleveland to beat the Steelers, who will not die (thanks for nothing, Adam Vinateri; time to retire).

The Browns got super hyper by the local media. The talent bought into the hyper. They were never making the playoffs this year. The Browns weren't awful yesterday, though open field tackling was an issue. They are making progress, but it should have been expected that it'd take more time to get Cleveland to a better place. Admittedly, their coaching isn't up to par for the NFL. But still, there is plenty of room to finish the second half of the season better than 4-4.

I'll be in a strange position twice in the next four weeks, having to root for Cleveland to beat the Steelers, who will not die (thanks for nothing, Adam Vinateri; time to retire).

There is definitely a football god.

Uhhh...go Seahawks.C an they bear SF on the road?

Chargers v Raiders, what a sorry spectacle that was although it could have had an exciting ending. The Raiders, having missed their one point conversion took the lead 26-24 with less than two minutes remaining. With three timeouts available, all the Chargers had to do was get down the field to field goal range from their own 30 yard line. They tried to throw the ball on every down and failed, not even completing a pass. On fourth down and 10, they got lucky and there was a flag that gave them a new set of downs. And what did they do ? Threw three incomplete passes and on the forth down threw an interception. Not one yard was gained. Abysmal.

I caught the last 3 minutes of that game, and the part I saw had lots of action, the Chargers scored to take the lead, then Raiders took it back. But then Rivers had the worst sequence probably of his career. Time to shop for a new qb, and they're just in time for Kaepernick's workout.

I also caught the last 3 minutes of the Seattle-SF game, at least I meant it to be the last 3 minutes, but it went OT so took over an hour to finish, but that's why god invented dvrs. The game did match up with their positions as the top 2 NFC teams, solid playing all around. Russell Wilson did his thing, and it had a good, almost great, storyline with the replacement kicker first game for SF who came in and kicked some clutch fg's during regulation, but then badly missed the game winner. Kicking is a crazy job.

And the Chargers did it again. Behind by a touchdown and just under two minutes left on the clock, the Chargers get the ball on their own 10 yard line. They huffed and puffed, at one point Rivers dinged the ball off an opposing player's helmet. He can't make good passes and when he does, the receivers are unable to catch. Miraculously, he throws for a gain of about 40 yards. So they have just enough time on the clock to make the touchdown but you just know it will end in tears. Sure enough, rivers throws to the end zone for his third (possibly fourth) interception of the game. Inept to say the least.

The Cowboys are being thrown into the Foxboro meat grinder this weekend. Well, the local pundits are pointing out that Prescott has a better QB rating than Brady right now, but I think Brady has a bit of an experience edge, maybe. :) The app on my phone says it’s New England minus 6.5.

Anyway, as some may remember I am a huge NBA fan, and the Mavericks (I am a season ticket holder) are playing a highly important game Sunday at the same time. Guess I should figure out how the picture-in-picture function on my TV works.

Well I got my picture-in-picture function working in time to see the Cowboys get a punt blocked at their 10 or 15 yard line. You can't just gift New England with points and expect to win. After that the Cowboys did well, but not well enough. I guess they beat the spread. Cold comfort.

On the other hand, on my other screen the Mavericks did great.

Cowboys didn't do well on offense, they tripped up a bit much. Also, I don't recall the last time I saw a game with two tripping calls.

Patriots offense looked awful and the Patriot defense is back to the bend and don't break or just stop them. Their open field tackling is incredible. Their offense... they can run the ball here and there, but that is about it.

Pats v Texans next. Texans at 7-4 is one of the records the Pats have played against. The best record for an opponent, the Ravens, the Pats lost to.

Patriots are pulling out wins, but I'm just not feeling it this year for a deep Super Bowl run unless the defense and special teams each score a TD. Feels like The Broncos when they won the last time, in spite of their offense.

There are other teams playing more impressively, mainly Ravens and SF. Baltimore will be 9 and 2 after they destroy the Rams tonight, which is rude since they owe their defensive turnaround to the Marcus Peters trade.

But nobody should turn their backs on the Jets who are looking unbeatable while making their patented late season playoff run.

There are other teams playing more impressively, mainly Ravens and SF. Baltimore will be 9 and 2 after they destroy the Rams tonight, which is rude since they owe their defensive turnaround to the Marcus Peters trade.

But nobody should turn their backs on the Jets who are looking unbeatable while making their patented late season playoff run.

I believe they scored 34 points in each of their last three games - not too shabby, even with non-optimal teams.

But, due to New England and Buffalo, even if they win every game from here on in they won't get the wild card.

Are SF that good of a team or is Green Bay just really bad ? That was abysmal from the Packers last night but the 49'ers looked pretty good.

Marcus Peters was one of about six changes the Ravens made on defense after the debacle against the Browns. And every one of them has worked. Their performance against the Texans offense was almost as good as SF’s defense vs. Green Bay last night. Hopefully they get past the Rams tonight and set up an epic battle next week.

So, the question is, does Belichick have an answer for Jackson. He has had an answer for lots of great players and teams (that doesn't involve "tripping" penalties), but they also haven't been to 20 Super Bowls and have lost in the playoffs.

So, the question is, does Belichick have an answer for Jackson. He has had an answer for lots of great players and teams (that doesn't involve "tripping" penalties), but they also haven't been to 20 Super Bowls and have lost in the playoffs.

I think the Pats will be more prepared if they meet again, knowing what didn’t work. But the Ravens offense is still evolving, and they’re nearly flawless but still not satisfied. The QB throws 5 touchdown passes, but only wants to talk about one dropped snap and a slightly off-target throw.

The Ravens and perhaps more specifically Jackson, tore the Rams a new one. Jackson was exceptional, mesmerizing at times. But that Ravens offense was very good and went through the Rams like a hot knife going through butter. The Rams offense did not seriously trouble the Ravens defense and now McVay looks to be on thin ice.

The Ravens v 49'ers should be an interesting game.

Niners vs. Ravens lived up to the hype. If they meet in the Super Bowl, with decent weather, it could be an excellent game.

Seahawks and Vikings put on a good show last night. I don't particularly care for the Seahawks but they were impressive.

Pats continue to struggle on offense. Gordon and Brown didn't work out and the lack of receivers is really hurting the passing game. I'm starting to think the Patriots can't get to every Super Bowl. The defense is really good, but unless something turns around like their defense did in the playoffs last year, the Patriots might not be in the AFC Championship game...

You'd need to go back to the first half of President Obama's first term to see an AFC Championship game without the Patriots!

Back
Top Bottom