• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $923. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

NFL

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
I was playing about Browns playoffs history. I know ALL about Lou Groza and Jim Brown (who the team was named after) and all their championships and then later always losing to Denver on the last play.

Rams got their start in Cleveland even, but the Browns were much more successful. Rams won once while in Cleveland and once again a few years after they moved to LA, but never again since in LA. :sad-smiley-021:

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
I was playing about Browns playoffs history. I know ALL about Lou Groza and Jim Brown (who the team was named after) and all their championships and then later always losing to Denver on the last play.

Rams got their start in Cleveland even, but the Browns were much more successful. Rams won once while in Cleveland and once again a few years after they moved to LA, but never again since in LA. :sad-smiley-021:

All due respect, but if you knew ALL of that, you’d know the team was named after Paul Brown, the co-founder and head coach for their first 17 years. He’s considered to be the greatest innovator in the history of football.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Actually, they are named after the color of the Cuyahoga River back when the team was put together. ;)

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Paul Brown... guy got around. Involved with the ownership of two professional football franchises. The stadium in Cincinnati is named after him and Crayola dedicated a crayon (formerly dark beige) in his honor.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
Covid has been very good for Jackson, he was phenomenal.
I'm not sure the first part of that sentence is accurate. His cramps that were 20 seconds from costing the game could very well have been a COVID byproduct. In fact, Jackson himself thinks they probably were. But yeah, he was great and to come back on the field at the last second and throw that pass on the run was Hollywood heroics.

Mayfield was great too, almost 1000 passing yards in the past 3 games. Browns aren't my team, but I root for them on behalf of a recently passed friend who was a diehard Brownie that never saw them win. I think both these teams are actually better than the Steelers right now.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Covid has been very good for Jackson, he was phenomenal.
I'm not sure the first part of that sentence is accurate. His cramps that were 20 seconds from costing the game could very well have been a COVID byproduct. In fact, Jackson himself thinks they probably were. But yeah, he was great and to come back on the field at the last second and throw that pass on the run was Hollywood heroics.

Mayfield was great too, almost 1000 passing yards in the past 3 games. Browns aren't my team, but I root for them on behalf of a recently passed friend who was a diehard Brownie that never saw them win. I think both these teams are actually better than the Steelers right now.

Yes, it's odd that the AFC North division leader (and likely winner) is probably only the third-best team at this point. I think both the Browns and Ravens would love a matchup with the Steelers in the playoffs.

Ravens need to win out to have a realistic chance at playoffs. They might be worn out, getting ready to play their third straight game on only 6 days rest; or maybe they'll be so happy to finally be playing on Sunday afternoon that they'll put the game out of reach early.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Like I was saying, Goff SUCKS. They lost by 3, and this Goff special led to a field goal, so I put this on him.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1340776948255969281[/TWEET]

Look at that dumbass throw. Even if weren't picked off, it was way behind his target, well his presumed target, cuz who the hell knows where that was supposed to go.

All I can do is laugh though, if anybody was going to lose to the Jets it would be the Rams.

And sorry, WAB, there goes your number one pick.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
I feel a little better now since I deem Pittsburgh's collapse as a bigger embarrassment. Roethlisberger looked like Goff, you know what I mean? I mean, he SUCKED.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
I feel a little better now since I deem Pittsburgh's collapse as a bigger embarrassment. Roethlisberger looked like Goff, you know what I mean? I mean, he SUCKED.

The Steelers' entire season was a mirage. Worst 11-0 team ever. And now Ben's arm is falling off. I'd be ecstatic, but if they lose their next two games, they could cost the Ravens a playoff spot.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So this'll lead to Kansas City and a bunch of upstarts in the AFC battling it out to face Green Bay or Seattle.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
The Steelers' entire season was a mirage. Worst 11-0 team ever. And now Ben's arm is falling off. I'd be ecstatic, but if they lose their next two games, they could cost the Ravens a playoff spot.

I like the way you think.

Time is definitely running out for Big Ben. And he wants to come back for one more season. Pffft.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Brady kept doing that, but kept winning or at least getting to the Super Bowl. Big Ben has a lot more mileage on his body too.

OLDMAN

Basic Beliefs
NONE
Yeah, what the hell happened to Ben? Well for one thing, he can't run the ball and everyone knows it. I think another problem is they let him call the plays, that is great when he is playing well, but you could see it on his face he wasn't into it.
They can't beat Indy next week and then they face the Browns in the final week. The Browns will win this week and be playing for the north title. It is bad, unless the Steelers can turn things around.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Kornacki told me Ravens had about 80% chance to make it. They do have a lot of paths, but none of the games they need are close to a sure thing. Bills beating Dolphins might be their best shot.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Kornacki told me Ravens had about 80% chance to make it. They do have a lot of paths, but none of the games they need are close to a sure thing. Bills beating Dolphins might be their best shot.

If the Steelers continue to implode, the Bills might be able to rest their starters in the Dolphins game because they’ll already have the #2 seed clinched.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist

If the Steelers continue to implode, the Bills might be able to rest their starters in the Dolphins game because they’ll already have the #2 seed clinched.

I think that is very likely, and then that will make it more than likely that the Bills face Chiefs in the Championship, which would be a great matchup. I expect Pitt to lose to both Colts and the Browns, and at minimum to one of them. The Bills are likely to get the #2, and the Browns to win their division. Who would of thought that the Browns and Bills would become division winners in the same year?

Of course, the #2 will likely face the Ravens in the first round, so it might not be something to wish for.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist

Those odds seem about right. Ravens have two pretty easy games left. Dolphins are likely to lose to the Bills, who have a realistic shot to beat the Chiefs and make it to the Superbowl. And I'd even give the Raiders a 40% shot at beating the Dolphins. The Raiders are up and down, but Mariota was great last week and now will get a week of practice. I'm not sure a team should want to be the #2 seed over the #3, given they'll likely have to face the Ravens in their first game.

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
socially liberal/libertarian on most issues, but not all.

Those odds seem about right. Ravens have two pretty easy games left. Dolphins are likely to lose to the Bills, who have a realistic shot to beat the Chiefs and make it to the Superbowl. And I'd even give the Raiders a 40% shot at beating the Dolphins. The Raiders are up and down, but Mariota was great last week and now will get a week of practice. I'm not sure a team should want to be the #2 seed over the #3, given they'll likely have to face the Ravens in their first game.

I'd slightly disagree, for now, about the Ravens though my opinion is subject to change. I don't think they're too far off, but they do need to be able to overcome a deficit if need be, and they haven't done so as of yet in the playoffs. I think their best way to win is to get an early lead, and shorten the game by running the ball & playing good defense. I don't think they're built for shootouts, at least not in the playoffs.

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
Does anyone know a good free and safe streaming site for NFL games? They are airing the Saturday game between the Cardinals and 49ers exclusively on Amazon Prime.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs

Mariota looked better than he ever did with the Titans.

Tars Tarkus

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
As a Cardinal fan for 39 years, I knew they would at least make me sweat out a close game against an inferior, banged up and out of the playoffs team. Flat out losing the game not a surprise either.

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
As a Cardinal fan for 39 years, I knew they would at least make me sweat out a close game against an inferior, banged up and out of the playoffs team. Flat out losing the game not a surprise either.

I watched it, looked like the 49ers just wanted it more. It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't more games late in the season that are online only outside of local areas. Online only games aren't new, a few years ago there was a Jaguars game in London where it was streaming only unless you lived in either team's media market. I cannot remember who the other team was but it was on Yahoo!.

TSwizzle

Let's go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I can’t stop laughing at the Raiders. Jon Gruden’s face was a picture even behind the mask. Hilarious.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
That's on Gruden. They had first and goal, and then he had rbs fall down before goal line. Too dumb by half.

WAB

Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
I'm ambivalent.

It was more fun when they were going 0 and 16.

I was in a motel room recently and got to watch some obscure college football. Exciting games, and somehow more fun to watch than NFL, or other pro leagues.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Mayfield making some critical errors. Looked like one half of offense could have been enough, but Mayfield coughed up the ball.

Browns could finish 10-6 and out of the playoffs, oddly making a good year, disappointing.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
The Jets and Rams continue to go in opposite directions. Rams didn't even manage a td today. Here's Goff's dumbass heave of the week, though there were many contenders.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1343325606679756800?s=20[/TWEET]

Fun fact: Goff has the most turnovers of any qb since 2019. :thumbsup:

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
On the brighter side of the sport, this happened.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5bhR1N4Eo[/YOUTUBE]

And the last guy to do it, the master artiste of the gridiron, Gale Sayers.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ooIZqbT2kA[/YOUTUBE]

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The Jets and Rams continue to go in opposite directions. Rams didn't even manage a td today. Here's Goff's dumbass heave of the week, though there were many contenders.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1343325606679756800?s=20[/TWEET]

The Jets beat a Covid-19 contact tracing weakened Browns. The Jets only move in two directions, backwards and sideways.

Seattle continues to interest me in how they haven't been to more Super Bowls. They can be mediocre for 55 minutes and hurt you badly enough in the other 5 minutes to win a football game. And when they are firing on all cylinders, yipes!

ronburgundy

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist/Scientist
I know the Pats suck this year, but damn the Bills are impressive. I can see them beating the Chiefs. I think the safest bet of a team to get to the Superbowl is the Pack, b/c the rest of the NFC is pretty weak and I'm not a believer in the Saints.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
9 for 21 in passing. 9 completions among two QBs? That is awful! That just feels like they are lacking in a QB <em>and</em> Receivers. <br><br> I have to strain to think back when the Patriots didn't have at least a very good Quarterback... we are talking almost 30 years ago! Bledsoe came by being awful. Brady came from great scouting. Back to back Team HoF QBs isn't very common. Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers, I'm sure there are a couple others that aren't springing to mind. <br>
<br>
The Pats need to really work on just about everything. The dynasty appears to be finally over.

Terrell

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs

[TWEET][FONT=&]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1343325606679756800?s=20[/FONT][/TWEET]

Agreed. He should have run the ball there, he would likely have gotten at least a few yards instead of turning the ball over. He looked like Jared Soft on the play where he scrambled forward on 3rd down, but slid to avoid contact about a yard short of the 1st down. There he should have put his shoulder down & tried to get the first down.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Ugh, that slide, brings back memories of the Jim Everett "phantom sack" but worse.

Won't have Goff to pick on next game, out with a broken thumb. Cooper Kupp out too. Will now need help to make playoffs if don't win.

OLDMAN

Basic Beliefs
NONE
wow. used to think all roads went thur KC...but now there are a lot of monsters hiding under the bed. The Bills look scary, the Ravens, even the Steelers (depending which Ben shows up) The Browns will be back to full strenght..but there is a very good team that won't make it....Indy maybe? Should be a great playoff.

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
So the Browns screwed up in reverse, slipping past the Steelers' "B" team to make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. For one brief and shining moment, "Browns gonna Brown" wasn't a thing, even though they tried so hard to make it one. As a reward, they get to go to Pittsburgh next week and play the Steelers' "A" team, which hasn't been all that great for at least a month.

Ravens go to Tennessee to try to exorcise last year's demon. Unfortunately for them, the demon (Derrick Henry) is still making mortals crap themselves. Fortunately for the Ravens, their run game is even more multi-dimensional than last year's; they missed the all-time single-game rushing record yesterday by only 19 yards, while playing their backups for most of the 4th quarter.

Buffalo may be the best team in the AFC right now.

Saints don't even need running backs to win big.

The Washington Football Team adopted tactics common to D.C., apparently sending a lobbyist to "influence" the Eagles head coach to play his 3rd-string quarterback in the 4th quarter instead of actually trying to win the game, allowing the WFTs to slip ahead of the Giants, who are upset that their 6-10 record didn't qualify them for a playoff spot.

Aaron Rodgers. 'nuff said.

If Tom Brady makes it to the Super Bowl, I may give up watching sports.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Man, it is a smorgasbord for the playoffs. The idea of the Giants making the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl with a 10-10 record was definitely worth cheering for. But Philly benched their backup QB... because... well... the backup QB had thrown for less than 80 yards, had 7 completions and 34 yards on the ground. I'm thinking maybe that wasn't that big of a deal to bench the backup QB. Sadly without the 10-10 Super Bowl champion option:

• Local team are the Browns. Mayfield isn't a Super Bowl QB, so getting to the playoffs is going to have to do.
  • Feel good about the Bills finally getting a championship
  • Brady...? Why not. A deep run at least to solidify his legitimacy outside of Belichick. It'd be his 10th Super Bowl appearance if he makes it. :eek:

Is anyone showing KC respect?

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Man, it is a smorgasbord for the playoffs. The idea of the Giants making the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl with a 10-10 record was definitely worth cheering for. But Philly benched their backup QB... because... well... the backup QB had thrown for less than 80 yards, had 7 completions and 34 yards on the ground. I'm thinking maybe that wasn't that big of a deal to bench the backup QB. Sadly without the 10-10 Super Bowl champion option:

• Local team are the Browns. Mayfield isn't a Super Bowl QB, so getting to the playoffs is going to have to do.
  • Feel good about the Bills finally getting a championship
  • Brady...? Why not. A deep run at least to solidify his legitimacy outside of Belichick. It'd be his 10th Super Bowl appearance if he makes it. :eek:

Is anyone showing KC respect?

KC seems to have a "we can turn it on any time we want" attitude, which can work great, until it doesn't.

WAB

Banned
Basic Beliefs
n/a
I think the Jets should be given a special wild card spot. I mean come on man, two wins! Have YOU ever won two times in the FREAKIN' NFL? Didn't think so. Didn't think so. /jets fan

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
I think the Jets should be given a special wild card spot. I mean come on man, two wins! Have YOU ever won two times in the FREAKIN' NFL? Didn't think so. Didn't think so. /jets fan

State Troopers at Jets games seem to do quite well.

Check it out at 2:33

Top Bottom