• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

On Deck: 2022

There's nothing wrong with the word, but it is very rarely used outside the nouveau riche circles in which grifters like Oz move.
It may be rarely used on your side of the pond (either one) but it is not that rarely used here.

Certainly it's not a word one would use while attempting to appear working class, unless one were a clueless fucking wanker.
I do not think Öz is attempting to appear working class. He is not hiding that he is a physician cum TV celebrity. It is Fetterman who is trying to do that.

Things like saying 'serviette' rather than 'napkin', 'soirée' rather than 'party', or 'crudités' rather than 'vegetables' are quite specifically linked only to people who imagine themselves better than the hoi polli, but who haven't the rank or status to support their fantasy of superiority.
That is your opinion. It may even be somewhat true in England for all I know, except that crudités refers specifically to raw vegetables, so the meaning is not even the same.

It's notable that much of this cant derives directly from French, probably as a result of attempting (consciously or otherwise) to associate with the use of French at court. So this is a linguistic hangover from the Norman conquest, which divided England very sharply between powerful aristocrats who spoke French, and powerless serfs who spoke English.
Like using "meat" instead of "flesh", "pork" instead of "swine flesh", "beef" instead of "cow flesh" or "veal" instead of "young'un cow flesh"?

I disagree with your analysis here. Dishes often have loan words from the language of origin.

And it is Fetterman who is trying to present himself as working class, and his Joe the Plumber shtick is part of it. In reality, his parents were quite well off and even gave him quite a bit of money while he was playing the mayor of Bumfuck, PA.

Last edited:
Hey!
It’s not Derec’s fault you’re a barely literate hick.
Hey. You said it, not me!

Join the club. If we’re real nice maybe Derec will share his Crudités recipe!
It's raw vegetables. Just cut them up in a visually pleasing way.

Anyhow, Fetterman needs Joe plumber and his friends.
`
Good comparison! Thanks.

Mehmet Öz could have changed his last name into Oez or Euz. My father's last name is originally Petrić (c with a forward accent), but he changed it to Petrich for the convenience of English speakers.
Right. Except that "ch" loses the nuance between the hard sound ('č') and soft sound ('ć').

"Perfectly normal word"? This incident is the first time I've ever seen that word.
Really? It's not really obscure. Do you know charcuterie? Bouillabaisse? Chiffonade? Roux? Sous vide? A lot of common culinary terms originate form the French. And one does not have to be Öz or the Bucket woman to use them.

"Perfectly normal word"? This incident is the first time I've ever seen that word.
Really? It's not really obscure. Do you know charcuterie? Bouillabaisse? Chiffonade? Roux? Sous vide? A lot of common culinary terms originate form the French. And one does not have to be Öz or the Bucket woman to use them.
One would have to be a food snob to insist that "crudités" is a "normal" word. I'll estimate its frequency by doing an Internet search. Google stopped giving number-of-hit estimates, so I'll use Bing.

crudités - 536, "veggie tray" - 49,000

charcuterie - 13,700, bouillabaisse - ?, roux - ?, "sous vide" - 32,800

Bing listed recipes first for the first two, which may be why that search engine did not give number of hits for them.

Like using "meat" instead of "flesh", "pork" instead of "swine flesh", "beef" instead of "cow flesh" or "veal" instead of "young'un cow flesh"?
Beef derives from French, Cow from Anglo-Saxon.

Pork derives from French, Sow from Anglo-Saxon.

Mutton derives from French, Ewe from Anglo-Saxon.

If you are tending the animals, you're a serf. If you are eating them, you're a lord.

These linguistic differences all stem from the Norman Conquest.

Things like saying 'serviette' rather than 'napkin', 'soirée' rather than 'party', or 'crudités' rather than 'vegetables' are quite specifically linked only to people who imagine themselves better than the hoi polli, but who haven't the rank or status to support their fantasy of superiority.
That is your opinion. It may even be somewhat true in England for all I know, except that crudités refers specifically to raw vegetables, so the meaning is not even the same.

One data point:
I knew the word "crudités" but probably just from reading (or film) since I've never said the word nor heard it spoken in person. Maybe Derec hangs with a high-falutin crowd. Or maybe the U.S.A. — ranked 4th in the world by land area — has more cultural and dialectical diversity than he seems to imagine.

If I ever heard "serviette" I think it was in jest rather than an attempt to be high-falutin. "Soirée", on the other hand, is a word I have heard. My sisters may have used it to describe a long evening or over-night all-female gathering. I suppose they chose this exotic word to add mystique to such an all-female gathering, perhaps hoping to tantalize any males who overheard.

[Venison / deer and Poultry / fowl are other examples of animals who are eaten in French but slaughtered in Anglo-Saxon.]

I knew the word "crudités" but probably just from reading (or film) since I've never said the word nor heard it spoken in person.
+1
If I hear someone use more than one of those words in conversation, I assume they’re either putting on airs, mocking people who put on airs, or is inordinately preoccupied with food.

This conversation is taking me back to 2008 and Obama's ArugulaGate scandal:

Opinion: Barack Obama needs to comparison shop for his arugula

Last summer while campaigning in Iowa, Barack Obama told voters in the farm state: ‘Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula? I mean, they’re charging a lot of money for this stuff.’

The comment was one of those that the Democratic presidential candidate probably wishes he had kept to himself -- it got ridiculed at the time, and periodically gets recycled by critics as a sign that Obama is an out-of-touch elitist (an image he perpetuated with his remarks about bitter attitudes in small-town America).

I confess to having never heard of arugula lettuce or crudites prior to their use by Obama and Oz respectively. I guess I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool meat & potatoes (and iceberg lettuce) guy.

Dr. Oz is about the biggest quack and grifter on planet Earth. He probably has webbed toes. There is no shortage of legitimate things to bitch about the guy. Why are you all focusing on stupid shit like his use of fancy food words?

Mrs Elixir made me grow kale and chard in our greenhouse one year. What a waste of space! Never again.

Mrs Elixir made me grow kale and chard in our greenhouse one year. What a waste of space! Never again.
Well then, I guess you've never tasted anything like Mr. Sohy's sautéed chard. It's delicious, although I would never go to all that trouble to prepare it. It's certainly better than the Southern greens like collards and turnip greens.

So, what are we talking about? Oh the 2022 election. I'm still appalled that Herschel Walker is only 4 points behind Warnock in the polls, although it was 3 points previously, so I guess that's progress.

Abrams was tied with the idiot Kemp, but she's fallen behind by 3 points in the most recent polling.

What. happens in Georgia is going to be based on turn out. I've known a few people who never vote in the midterms. I've known some who have never voted. We'll see if Stacey's organizations can help get out the vote. Despite the attempts at voter suppression, it's still fairly easy to vote in Ga. And, for those who don't want to wait in line. Requests for absentee ballots started last week. Too many people don't understand the importance of exercising their right to vote.

My district is so gerrymandered, that it's rare that we ever have a Democrat running.

My district is so gerrymandered, that it's rare that we ever have a Democrat running.
Do you have one this year?

Apparently so, but I doubt he has a chance of winning.
Interesting though, to see how they do. With nothing to compare it to, it means less...
My city is Black majority by a very small percentage, but my district extends to the rural or exurban areas that are mostly white and very conservative. All of my Black friends who vote are Democrats. The majority of White voters in my small city are Republicans. I can usually tell who they are because they tend not to be careful during the pandemic and most aren't vaccinated. My White atheist friends are all Democrats, but that's a small number.

Once you leave the city limits, you begin to see Trump 2020 signs along with religious signs in people's yards. If every single Democratic leaning person would vote, we might have a chance to defeat a Republican, but voter apathy has been a big problem since I moved here about 25 years ago. It's true that more people are voting, thanks in part to Stacey's organizations to get out the vote. I'm still not very optimistic that Democrats will win many positions in Georgia this year. But, I didn't expect we'd have two Democratic senators after the 2020 election, so anything could happen.

Masters and other Republicans have made rising prices a centerpiece of their campaign messages.

“Democrats tell us the economy is doing just great,” Masters tweeted on Monday. “Anyone who’s pumped gas or bought groceries or looked at their savings account lately knows that’s a lie.”

Masters is certainly not alone in sneering at the value of diversity at the Fed.

Currently, for the first time in its history, the Federal Reserve’s seven-person board of governors includes a Black woman. Lisa Cook faced a racist, sexist smear campaign after President Joe Biden nominated her to the position in January.

Historically, the Fed’s leadership has been overwhelmingly white and male, according to a 2021 Brookings Institution analysis of Fed personnel backgrounds.

Masters and other Republicans have made rising prices a centerpiece of their campaign messages.

“Democrats tell us the economy is doing just great,” Masters tweeted on Monday. “Anyone who’s pumped gas or bought groceries or looked at their savings account lately knows that’s a lie.”
What is "sexist" or "racist" about that tweet?

Currently, for the first time in its history, the Federal Reserve’s seven-person board of governors includes a Black woman. Lisa Cook faced a racist, sexist smear campaign after President Joe Biden nominated her to the position in January.

How is the criticism of this nominee "racist"? Just because she is black?

Back
Top Bottom