• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Do they have the right to self defense prior to being attacked by a “perp”?
What exactly do you mean by that? Rights exist before the situation arises where you actually make use of them.

Why so bashful? The fact is, a physical attack doesn't have to occur for someone to legally defend themselves (or others). Self-defense is a nuanced matter. Well at least to the rest of us.

So, it's ok for police to kill people prior to being attacked as long as they believe that they might need to defend themselves from that person?
Stand your ground?

From a couple of days ago...

This police officer apparently fired off some shots (sorta hard to hear though) at the guy and wounded him. Why couldn't she have just taken her hammer beating like a good cop and crossed her fingers that he would eventually leave her alone? *

* Sarcasm in case its not obvious. Seriously, what should she have done differently?

What makes you think this is misconduct?

She hesitated too long.

P S : Did you not catch the footnote below the video?

Did you not catch the thread title?
This incident struck me as somewhat similar to the Michael Brown case, only this guy lived to see another day, largely because the cop happened to miss a vital organ. Many thought the MB incident was a case of police misconduct, and riots insued. I was just sparking a conversation on whether some might think this was a case of police misconduct also.

The primary objective of this thread, as I understand it, is to highlight that law enforcement is not beyond error, contrary to what some may believe. Incidents involving Ryan Walker and Bryana Taylor serve as stark reminders that mistakes do occur within the police force. The real debate lies in our response to these errors. While some argue that errors are inevitable given the challenges of policing, others, including myself, believe we shouldn’t simply accept them.

Breonna Taylor? She could have lived if at least one of these was done:

1. MUCH less drug warring.

2. Cops being more careful about what they raid, if they have to do raids.

3. Cops using nonlethal and low-lethality weapons as much as possible.

In other words: nothing that she could have done to prevent her death.

The primary objective of this thread, as I understand it, is to highlight that law enforcement is not beyond error, contrary to what some may believe. Incidents involving Ryan Walker and Bryana Taylor serve as stark reminders that mistakes do occur within the police force. The real debate lies in our response to these errors. While some argue that errors are inevitable given the challenges of policing, others, including myself, believe we shouldn’t simply accept them.
It’s one thing to make human mistakes. It’s another to attempt to conceal or cover up those mistakes and to not take responsibility or attempt to improve the forces to reduce the frequency of mistakes.

I take it that a lot of the reaction to the police is due more to that than the existence of mistakes in the first place.

Given the grave consequences that can result from their actions they need to act with commensurate grave responsibility.

I omitted in error the more egregious misconduct within the police force, such as those who deliberately misuse their authority to commit serious crimes.

It’s one thing to make human mistakes. It’s another to attempt to conceal or cover up those mistakes and to not take responsibility or attempt to improve the forces to reduce the frequency of mistakes.

I take it that a lot of the reaction to the police is due more to that than the existence of mistakes in the first place.

Given the grave consequences that can result from their actions they need to act with commensurate grave responsibility.
Yes, sometimes mistakes are made, even in good faith. Some years ago, a young man who had been reported as missing and unarmed was shot in the middle of a bridge because a police officer mistakenly believed he held a weapon in his hand. He actually had a small pocket knife and was many yards from any other human being. Not even in a kung fu movie would he have been able to throw that knife and hurt someone. Which he did not attempt to do. No one was in danger except himself. The police made an error in judgement. Their judgment was informed by fear of someone being armed, despite the fact that this person had never been known to carry any kind of firearm. This person was known to be mentally ill but not violent. They mistook mentally ill for danger to others. Someone else died. In a different case, a woman asked for police to accompany her to her family home while she removed belongings for herself and children as her husband was violent and threatening. Despite the fact that the husband was violent and threatening and known to be armed, the police sent the woman into the home alone, where her husband shot and killed her. The husband later hung himself in a jail cell. Three children were left orphaned. That involved at least two incidents of poor judgment on the part of the police involved. I believe in both of these cases, serious police errors were made that ended up costing someone else their life.

George Floyd was murdered in broad daylight in front of crowds of people begging for his life--and video recording the events as they happened. There were many errors made, depending on your perspective. Some would say that the biggest error the police made was not confiscating the phones being used to record their actions. Most sane individuals would say that their errors were in their intent and anger rather than in reason. Someone died then, as well.

A family member used to post police deaths in the line of duty. Virtually every single one of them involved a heart attack. Not gun violence. A heart attack. This was during COVID and a few appeared to be deaths due to COVID although carefully worded so as not to actually say that. Everyone knows that police work is dangerous and that criminals are sometimes armed and dangerous. Here's the thing: Police are armed and are often dangerous to the general public and certainly to anyone they think may have committed a crime or simply be having a mental health crisis or who was rude. Or had a broken tail light. Or drove on a city street while black.

4. Police actually only hit what or who they are aiming at.

I proposed (3) to have a margin of error for (4).

COFFEE CITY, Texas — There’s not much to Coffee City, Texas. Two liquor stores, a couple of dollar stores, a pizza joint and a motel. But this town, which is three hours north of Houston, has quite a reputation among those who drive through.
  • “A lot of officers policing a very small number of people,” motorist Jen Hendricks said.
  • “They run back and forth, back and forth,” Bill Knous said.
  • “They’re everywhere, literally everywhere,” Madison, who didn’t provide her last name, said.

The city limit sign on the side of State Highway 155 reads “POP 249.” In a town of barely 250 residents, there are 50 full-time and reserve officers in the department. That is five times the number of cops than any town its size, according to Texas Commission on Law Enforcement records.
Coffee City’s budget shows the town collected more than $1 million in court fines last year. That came from more than 5,100 citations officers wrote, the most in the state for a town its size according to the Texas Office of Court Administration.
But there is more to this story than a small town writing a bunch of speeding tickets. KHOU 11 Investigates discovered Coffee City is a magnet for troubled cops. More than half of the department’s 50 officers had been suspended, demoted, terminated or dishonorably discharged from their previous law enforcement jobs, according to personnel files obtained through open records requests to other law enforcement agencies.
Those prior disciplinary actions range from excessive force, public drunkenness, untruthfulness and association with known criminals. They include:
See the article for details.

I don’t think that would help as much as we’d like. I think the police hit far too many of their targets as it is.

I mean, how did the “city” claim the road, on which to write and prosecute citations, but not have to share revenue with any of the residents living along it?

Includes the clay mines, that one rich person’s house, a bunch of shoreline houses, but not their next-door neighbors without waterfront, the bridge; excludes an interior property that has to cros the city property to get out. Holy crap. ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN this was incorprated by a rich arrogant unethical attoney.

Back
Top Bottom