• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Circa 2014 I got a call from a very nice guy named Jon Belmar. He was the Captain of the St Louis County police, an outfit that was embroiled in scandals over shooting (black) people (e.g. Michael Brown).
Wasn't Wilson with the Ferguson Police Department? In any case, that shooting was justified and the rioters were 100% in the wrong.

A witness who was with the Brown at the time, said Brown had his hands up when Wilson opened fire. Protests were raging nightly and it was national news.
"Protests" is a misrepresentation. Those were violent riots.
You also neglected to mention the robbery of the convenience store (that was later vandalized and looted by so-called "protesters"). And Dorian Johnson is hardly a disinterested witness.
Nevertheless, he did offer some interesting observations about Michael Brown.
WaPo said:
According to Johnson, Brown was convinced that he was in the midst of a spiritual epiphany and that strange things were happening all around him. At one point, Brown walked into the middle of traffic on West Florissant Avenue. Cars whizzed by from both directions but miraculously avoided hitting him.
“He had a look like ‘I told you,’ ” Johnson recalled. “I had an eerie feeling the whole time we were walking.”
The pair entered the market. Earlier that day, Brown had tried to barter with a clerk, offering to exchange a baggie of marijuana for a soda and two boxes of cigarillos, according to the market’s lawyer.
Now, Brown looked at a different clerk and said, “Do you know who I am?” He quickly added, “You know who I am.” Then, surveillance video shows, Brown reached across the counter, grabbed the cigarillos and shoved the clerk.
The clerk threatened to call the police, and the pair left the shop. Johnson said he was shocked by Brown’s behavior.
“He wasn’t in a mindstate of not knowing what he was doing. He was in a mindstate of trying to figure out what was happening to him,” Johnson said. “He was just trying to find understanding.”
It is very likely that he was suffering from some undiagnosed mental illness, and that his heavy marijuana use did not help matters. But he certainly wasn't acting rationally that day.
but NEVER ONCE did I hear him evince any concern for the victim, the victim's family or the citizens he was charged to protect.
Michael Brown was likely a victim of mental disease. But he wasn't a victim of Darren Wilson. He wasn't a victim of a different police department (St. Louis County) either. As to his family, they should have taken care of their boy while he was alive, instead of dumping him onto his grandma and only caring for him after his death when he was useful for their grifting. I have zero sympathy for them.
It was always about the brave innocent officers, and he was their champion, defending them all from the evil public outcry.
Seriously, a very nice guy with all the best intentions toward his men, and a great deal of power and authority.
That's where evil flourishes. IME.
I can understand why he would be concerned for the men and women under his command. Esp. when they are being unfairly attacked by left wing radicals. And sometimes physically attacked and murdered, like the cops in Dallas murdered by that piece of shit Micah Johnson.

What absolute crapola. Certainly in the case of Tamir Rice, your observation is utter nonsense, since Tamir Rice's "weapon" had no bullets.
Police had no way of knowing that. By your "logic" police have nothing to fear from a real, but unloaded, gun either.

In order to take your claim seriously, one would have to believe that suspects are better shots than the police.
BS. They don't have to be to present a level of risk to police that justifies use of lethal force. Contra Jarhyn, police are not required to wait until the perp gets a round off before they are allowed to use lethal force to protect themselves or others. In fact, it would be foolhardy of them to wait that long.

Tamir Rice was 12 years old when he was gunned down by two adult police officers while he was playing in the park.
We already discussed how, due to his stature and weight, he would have appeared older than 12 to the approaching officers.

That said, however, 12 year olds these days are not all innocent kids. Quite a few engage in serious crimes like robberies.
In Atlanta a few years ago:
11-year-old, 12-year-old arrested, accused of armed robbery on Beltline
This one is from the 90s. Probably influenced the now wrongly discredited "superpredator" narrative:
11-year-old ‘Yummy’ Sandifer was on the run for killing a teenage girl. Then he was killed by his own gang in a Chicago story that shocked the nation 25 years ago.
And of course, a kid just a year older than TR and some other teens used a pellet gun to rob a pedestrian. The 13 year old Tyre King was subsequently killed by an officer.
Tyre King, 13, Fatally Shot by Police in Columbus, Ohio
This was in the same state and just two years after TR killing.

Tamir Rice was 12 years old when he was gunned down by two adult police officers while he was playing in the park.
We already discussed how, due to his stature and weight, he would have appeared older than 12 to the approaching officers.

That said, however, 12 year olds these days are not all innocent kids. Quite a few engage in serious crimes like robberies.
In Atlanta a few years ago:
11-year-old, 12-year-old arrested, accused of armed robbery on Beltline
This one is from the 90s. Probably influenced the now wrongly discredited "superpredator" narrative:
11-year-old ‘Yummy’ Sandifer was on the run for killing a teenage girl. Then he was killed by his own gang in a Chicago story that shocked the nation 25 years ago.
And of course, a kid just a year older than TR and some other teens used a pellet gun to rob a pedestrian. The 13 year old Tyre King was subsequently killed by an officer.
Tyre King, 13, Fatally Shot by Police in Columbus, Ohio
This was in the same state and just two years after TR killing.
Tamir Rice was a 12 year old child. To the best of my knowledge he was never accused of a crime.

Some people grow tall quickly or otherwise appear older than their years. This was the case with one of my kids. Some people are small for their age and appear younger than their age. Also one of my kids. And me. Until I let my hair go gray, I was routinely assumed to be much younger than I was. At 20, some people thought I was a middle schooler. A friend said I was confusing: I looked 24 and sounded 27. We joked that I needed tattoos and to start rolling a pack of smokes up in the sleeve of my t-shirt. My husband used to get very dirty looks from strangers when I was very pregnant because I looked like a kid.

Nothing about statute or physical maturity or the appearance of being older than one is has anything to do what the the actual maturity or developmental maturity of an individual. Statute is not within the control of Individuals. Tamir Rice was dressed like a 12 year old. His body language was that of a child, not an adult or even an adolescent. He did not deserve to door for the ‘sin’ of playing in the park while big for his age.

It is reprehensible that you or anyone else attempts to justify his summary execution by incompetent police officers who did not deserve their badges and sure as shit did not deserve to carry a firearm.

Do you believe that the $6 million settlement the City of Cleveland paid to the Rice family was an appropriate resolution to the wrongful death lawsuit, or do you hold the opinion that the actions of the police were justified under the circumstances, making the compensation unwarranted?

Do you believe that the $6 million settlement the City of Cleveland paid to the Rice family was an appropriate resolution to the wrongful death lawsuit, or do you hold the opinion that the actions of the police were justified under the circumstances, making the compensation unwarranted?
Do you consider those the only options?
Tom

Tom

You're welcome to add your own.

Tom

You're welcome to add your own.
Rice's family takes responsibility for the behavior of their 12 y/o child?
We could start with that.
Tom

Escaped Murderer Steals Gun, Still at large.

500 cops vs this one guy. Now he has a 22 rifle with a scope, thanks to some local moron that thought it would be a good idea to leave his garage open with the rifle in plain view while there was a murderer on loose in his neighborhood.
Anyhow, it’s getting awful expensive. They should just let the guy escape to Mexico, and let it be their problem.

For playing with a toy gun at a recreation center? What does that look like exactly?
For letting a 12 y/o out with a dangerous object.
And not suing other people for $6 million because you were too negligent to mind your kid.

I'll feel the same way if the Akron shooting victim's family sues anyone.
Tom

For playing with a toy gun at a recreation center? What does that look like exactly?
And not suing other people for $6 million because you were too negligent to mind your kid.

I'll feel the same way if the Akron shooting victim's family sues anyone.
Tom
How old were you when your parents let you go to the park on your own?

Did you have any toy guns?

I really dislike guns but I allowed my kids to play GI Joe and have toy guns. They made swords and suits of armor out of Construx! I did make them keep their supper soakers in the back yard when some idiot cop shot some child playing with a water gun…at least 30 years ago.

The object was not dangerous. The police have already identified that it was a toy gun. The police were also acquitted of all charges because they where found not at fault due to a toy gun being mistaken for a real one.

I think what you're suggesting (please clarify if I've misunderstood) is that the parents exhibited negligence by permitting Tamir to play with a toy gun that closely resembled a real firearm, fully aware that it could potentially cause alarm to both the public and the police.

While I can see where this argument is coming from, I'm trying to understand what accepting responsibility in this context truly entails. Legal provisions concerning child neglect and endangerment typically focus on penalizing parents, perhaps through jail time. However, it does not imply that the child should be killed as a form of punishment for the parents.

New bodycam footage has revealed the moment a Seattle police officer callously laughed and said that the life of a Northeastern University student who was mowed down by a cop car had 'limited value.' Jaahnavi Kandula, 23, was run down by a speeding Seattle Police Department SUV as she was crossing a heavily marked crosswalk near her campus in the South Lake Union neighborhood on January 23.
Detective Daniel Auderer - who was not in the car that hit the student, but was responding to the scene - said that police can just 'write a check' after killing masters student Kandula. He cackled and downplayed her death while on the phone with his colleague, whose side of the conversation was not recorded. In the unearthed bodycam, Auderer said: 'Yeah, just write a check. $11,000. She was 26, anyway. She had limited value.'

Daily Mail

Some cops are just vile.

Hate to break it to you TSwizzle but whether the cops are vile depends on whether Jaahnavi Kandula was a shoplifter, drug dealer, rioter, BLM protester, Antifa member, so on and so on. We don't take kindly to considering things like professionalism, accountability, and due process around these parts.

The object was not dangerous. The police have already identified that it was a toy gun. The police were also acquitted of all charges because they where found not at fault due to a toy gun being mistaken for a real one.

I think what you're suggesting (please clarify if I've misunderstood) is that the parents exhibited negligence by permitting Tamir to play with a toy gun that closely resembled a real firearm, fully aware that it could potentially cause alarm to both the public and the police.

While I can see where this argument is coming from, I'm trying to understand what accepting responsibility in this context truly entails. Legal provisions concerning child neglect and endangerment typically focus on penalizing parents, perhaps through jail time. However, it does not imply that the child should be killed as a form of punishment for the parents.
That said: part of growing up is establishing independence from parents and functioning independently, step wise. Rebellion, keeping some things secret from your parents, challenging rules, etc. are all not only normal but are necessary to develop into a well functioning adult. Obviously, step wise processes, taking place over a decade or more of time. It is not the easiest part of parenting but yes it is normal and good parenting to allow your kid to go places outside of your direct control and observation.

I have always maintained a vigilant watch over my children, giving them the illusion of freedom while ensuring their safety discreetly. Despite my constant presence, I am acutely aware that it might not have been enough to protect Tamir, had he been my child, in the face of the reckless and impulsive actions of those officers who acted without fully assessing the situation. My child would be safer with Laurel and Hardy than those officers.

What absolute crapola. Certainly in the case of Tamir Rice, your observation is utter nonsense, since Tamir Rice's "weapon" had no bullets.
Police had no way of knowing that. By your "logic" police have nothing to fear from a real, but unloaded, gun either.
Ut is their job to know. And killing somebody to find out is the wrong way to go about finding out.

And the police have nothing to fear from a real unloaded firearm, especially if it is not pointed at them.

Derec said:
BS. They don't have to be to present a level of risk to police that justifies use of lethal force. Contra Jarhyn, police are not required to wait until the perp gets a round off before they are allowed to use lethal force to protect themselves or others. In fact, it would be foolhardy of them to wait that long.
Yes, I pooped my pants rationale.

Back
Top Bottom