• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Rice's family takes responsibility for the behavior of their 12 y/o child?

For playing with a toy gun at a recreation center? What does that look like exactly?
For letting a 12 y/o out with a dangerous object.
And not suing other people for $6 million because you were too negligent to mind your kid.

I'll feel the same way if the Akron shooting victim's family sues anyone.
Tom
Jayland Walker? He led the police on a car chase after being pulled over (or after they attempted pulling him over). Tamir Rice was in a park doing 12 year old stuff. Walker was shot ALOT after exiting the car in the middle of the night. Rice was shot in broad daylight after the police were on site for couple seconds.

Other than lead, there really are no other parallels between the two situations.

Do you believe that the $6 million settlement the City of Cleveland paid to the Rice family was an appropriate resolution to the wrongful death lawsuit, or do you hold the opinion that the actions of the police were justified under the circumstances, making the compensation unwarranted?
Do you consider those the only options?
Tom

You're welcome to add your own.
Rice's family takes responsibility for the behavior of their 12 y/o child?
We could start with that.
Tom
If he had a real gun, your point wouldn't look as ridiculously nonsensical as it does.

Why aren't you complaining about the officer's parents not teaching him not to shoot unarmed 12 year olds they ran into 2 seconds previously?

What absolute crapola. Certainly in the case of Tamir Rice, your observation is utter nonsense, since Tamir Rice's "weapon" had no bullets.
Police had no way of knowing that. By your "logic" police have nothing to fear from a real, but unloaded, gun either.
Ut is their job to know. And killing somebody to find out is the wrong way to go about finding out.
Saying it's their job doesn't make it possible.

Every doctor is incompetent because their patients die.

What absolute crapola. Certainly in the case of Tamir Rice, your observation is utter nonsense, since Tamir Rice's "weapon" had no bullets.
Police had no way of knowing that. By your "logic" police have nothing to fear from a real, but unloaded, gun either.
Ut is their job to know. And killing somebody to find out is the wrong way to go about finding out.

WTAF!?! Doctors don't intentionally kill their patients before the initial evalauation.

A heinous crime.

Was the sandwich criminal? Because the dog is supposed to take a bite out of crime.

I think the sandwich charge is just a bunch of baloney myself. This morning on the news I saw that his neighbors said they couldn't believe it when they heard about his crime. He had always been such a good boy.

police are not required to wait until the perp gets a round off before they are allowed to use lethal force to protect themselves or others.
Yes, I pooped my pants rationale.

Right - it pays to remember at all times, a cop might just "feel threatened" if you look at them funny, and decide (tragically of course) that they must draw and fire their weapon before the extent of the threat posed by the funny look you gave them can come to full effect.
Because that's how you "Serve And Protect" [yourself] if you're a cop (in the land of RW extremists).

Kids who's behavior didn't result in 911 calls.

What behavior are you referring to, exactly? A child engaging in play at a recreation center with a toy gun? It seems rather unreasonable. The state is neither holding the officers accountable for misidentifying the toy gun as a real weapon, nor the 12-year-old for playing with a toy gun at the recreation center. Yet you personally chose to reproach the parents of a dead child for letting him play with a toy at a recreation center. I'm relieved to know that you have no interaction with them. I also have no further desire to delve into understanding the completely baffling motivations that might be driving your opinion.

WTAF!?! Doctors don't intentionally kill their patients before the initial evalauation.
He's saying a good outcome is always possible if the person is competent.

Thus a competent doctor can always save your life.

What behavior are you referring to, exactly? A child engaging in play at a recreation center with a toy gun? It seems rather unreasonable. The state is neither holding the officers accountable for misidentifying the toy gun as a real weapon, nor the 12-year-old for playing with a toy gun at the recreation center. Yet you personally chose to reproach the parents of a dead child for letting him play with a toy at a recreation center. I'm relieved to know that you have no interaction with them. I also have no further desire to delve into understanding the completely baffling motivations that might be driving your opinion.
The real failure is that a 12 year old had access to a realistic replica in the first place.

The real failure is that a 12 year old had access to a realistic replica in the first place.
So it’s the toy manufacturer’s fault. The cops should sue them for making their jobs not trivially easy.

A competent cop can assess a situation when he or she arrives on scene.

If there is no active shooter or immediate threat to life or safety, there is no need for them to become active shooters themselves. And certainly not in less than 2 seconds.

If there is an active shooter or immediate threat to life and safety, the cops will still have to react to that appropriately. They are trained to correctly identify who poses a threat, how much of a threat, and how to best protect and serve the public. They aren't supposed to just shoot the first person they encounter who might have been doing something before they got there. That would be Authoritarian Police State shit, not how cops in the US are supposed to act.

That is total bullshit. The notion that police will necessarily die if they aren’t permitted to kill anyone who makes them afraid is morally depraved., neither of these officers was ever in danger from Tamir Rice. They allowed their fear/ cowardice overrule their moral duty. Thet didn’t bother to see if they were in danger. There is no evidence either of these officers exhibited minimal competence except under the depraved standards that they are alive and that the officers gunned down a deserving scary 12 year child.

It really is enough make one vomit.

The whole thing of a realistic toy is a bit of a distraction. Police have shot people who “looked like they had a gun” when they were hold a phone or some other object that did not resemble a gun at all. And in this case specifically, Rice did not have the toy in his hand.

the police reaction seems to be if they even think you have a gun, shoot to kill. Do not give a chance for the person to surrender, to comply with orders, or even find out if the person is actually armed. Just kill them.

A heinous crime.

Was the sandwich criminal? Because the dog is supposed to take a bite out of crime.

I think the sandwich charge is just a bunch of baloney myself. This morning on the news I saw that his neighbors said they couldn't believe it when they heard about his crime. He had always been such a good boy.

They suspected someone else but they were barking up the wrong tree.

Dude, that was rough.

Back
Top Bottom