• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

When I say exhausting all excuses, I'm just talking about a mentality where they are just not willing to accept that police are wrong and even if they agree to some level of wrongdoing on the part of police, they will downplay it and return the focus to the "criminal" and why it was fine for police to execute them in the streets.

No one who opposes fascists or questions authority has oppressed the powerless? I don't know if that's true. My anecdotal experience with antiracists and anti-fascists' in my circle is I can't have a conversation that exhausts all possibilities with them without being accused of being an apologist so there's that. But I guess by oppression you may mean on a much larger scale than simple dialogue between friends family &/or a forum user.

If you think that someone behaving badly or being wrong in a conversation with you or being bullheaded or rude or adamant or angry or mean or upset or even irrational on the topic equates to fascism itself, then I would say you do not know what fascism is and I would invite you to find out.

I don't think that nor do I feel anything you described in the rest of your comment (thanks for checking?). What I meant to imply is the oppression is entirely over the dialog.
Still not sure what you mean by that. Dialog is being oppressed? Oppressors are oppressing the dialog? I don't know, but whatever. We're good.

Proud Boys, Black Lives Matter, police: Do cops favor far-right group?
The latest example of a cozy relationship between law enforcement and the far-right Proud Boys happened in the nation's capital last week when the Metropolitan Police responded to a stabbing involving members of the Proud Boys and an associate.

Provocateur Bevelyn Beatty and the chairman of the Proud Boys, who was with her, told police they were both stabbed by people associated with Black Lives Matter in a street fight early the morning after the presidential election. The Metropolitan Police Department repeated their claim to media outlets, leading to headlines around the country claiming Black Lives Matter had attacked the Proud Boys.

“This group has been involved in all kinds of violent activities, and it seems that law enforcement’s response to them has been reluctant,” German said. “That sends a message to far-right groups that their violence is sanctioned by the police.”

Meanwhile, law enforcement has clamped down on protests organized by Black Lives Matter and similar groups, he said.
Seems like the Weimar Republic all over again. They ruthlessly suppressed the Munich Soviet Republic while barely being able to respond to the Kapp Putsch -- and later the Beer Hall Putsch.

Kyle Rittenhouse: Kenosha shooting suspect released after posting $2 million bail - CNN
ittenhouse was afraid he would spend the rest of his life in prison after turning himself in to authorities, a friend of the teenager told police in a recorded interview that CNN obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

"The dude's sweating like a pig. He's just freaking out. His face is white. He's like, 'I'm going to jail for the rest of my life. I'm done.' He's just scared," the friend, Dominick Black, is seen explaining to a detective in the video recorded on August 26 in Antioch, Illinois, where Rittenhouse was arrested.

Black said he tried to calm both himself and Rittenhouse, telling Rittenhouse, "from what you're telling me, you were defending yourself, as far as I believe. Just calm down, we're going to go home, you're going to go turn yourself in, it will all be fine," he said.
CNN on Twitter: "Kyle Rittenhouse, the teen accused in the fatal shooting of two people in August during protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin, was released from custody after posting $2 million in bail, according to the county's sheriff's department (links)" / Twitter

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "People who argue that dramatic changes to policing, including budgetary ones, will mean “violent people will be let out of jail to roam free” rarely ever acknowledge that’s actually the current system we have today for the privileged" / Twitter

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Does anyone believe Rittenhouse would be released if he were Muslim & did the same thing in a diff context? For people who say “systemic racism doesn’t exist,” this is what it looks like: protection of white supremacy baked deep into our carceral systems.

Law and disorder." / Twitter

bouncermom on Twitter: "@AOC And here he is yesterday...does he look like he learned anything? (link)" / Twitter
Picture of KR with two supporters(?).

Kyle Rittenhouse, charged with killing 2 protesters, poses with ‘Silver Spoons’ actor after posting bond - Chicago Sun-Times
Hours after being released, L. Lin Wood of Atlanta, who is a member of Kyle Rittenhouse’s defense team, tweeted a photo of Rittenhouse, Ricky Schroder and attorney John Pierce, under a title of “FREE AT LAST!!!”

An Illinois 17-year-old accused of killing two people during a protest in Wisconsin was seen smiling in a photo with his lawyer and “Silver Spoons” actor Ricky Schroder after being released from custody by posting a $2 million bond.
noting
Lin Wood on Twitter: "
FREE AT LAST!!!
From L to R:
Attorney John Pierce @CaliKidJMP
THE KYLE RITTENHOUSE
Actor Ricky Schroder @rickyschroder13
Thank you, All Donors.
Thank you, All Patriots.
Thank God Almighty.
#FightBack
(link to picture)" / Twitter

Odd you don't see the connection between 'silver spoons' photo opportunity after this lad was released on bond for shooting others that police after seeing one of their own color carrying a high powered rifle down a street they were traveling to quell rioting, shooting, and looting waved back to this dark clothed teen civilian rather than stopping, questioning, perhaps even taking him into custody.

You can't even see the irony of the picture related to the individual and the situation for which this teen thug has been charged? Amazing.

I see silver spoons and police misconduct links in every aspect of this situation. Your response above demonstrates the degree to which you are an apologist for racism by authorities.

Odd you don't see the connection between 'silver spoons' photo opportunity after this lad was released on bond for shooting others

If there was any misconduct by police, it would have occurred months ago when the incident occurred, not when the suspect was released on bail.

that police after seeing one of their own color carrying a high powered rifle

Are you suggesting that all police are white, or what's your point? Btw, there have been heavily armed black militias marching during protests without getting arrested. But that doesn't fit your desire to label police racist without any evidence.

You can't even see the irony of the picture related to the individual and the situation for which this teen thug has been charged? Amazing.

He was released on bail due to a ruling by a judge in accordance to Wisconsin law. I really can't see anything ironic here or any police misconduct.
Btw, the teen has a good claim to self defense, as he was attacked by three felons (two of them armed, one with a firearm) who were participating in the violent anti-police rioting.

I see silver spoons and police misconduct links in every aspect of this situation.
You probably see cat cradles here too, but all that only means you need a new eyeglass prescription.

Your response above demonstrates the degree to which you are an apologist for racism by authorities.
No, it demonstrates that releasing a suspect on bail is not an example of police misconduct.
It also demonstrates that you see racism everywhere. How is a German American shooting 3 other German Americans who attacked him an example of "racism"?

InkBlots.jpg

Seems like the Weimar Republic all over again. They ruthlessly suppressed the Munich Soviet Republic while barely being able to respond to the Kapp Putsch -- and later the Beer Hall Putsch.

In their defense, the Munich Soviet Republic happened right after Communists took over the largest land mass in Europe. Obviously the authorities would be idiotic not to take any attempt to do the same in Germany very, very seriously.

Not sure what you mean about not mimicking fascists. No one who opposes fascists or questions authority has oppressed the powerless or sucked up to the powerful against the powerless. It's kind of in the definitions.
Do tell. My father knew a guy who was murdered by a gang of left-wing fanatics who undoubtedly saw themselves as opposing fascists and questioning authority -- he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when those fanatical idiots got confused and set off their bomb at the wrong location. So are you telling us that murdering an innocent bystander doesn't count as oppressing him? Or are you telling us that the fact that the guy got in the way of their anti-fascist bomb proves he was "the powerful"?

Not sure what you mean about not mimicking fascists. No one who opposes fascists or questions authority has oppressed the powerless or sucked up to the powerful against the powerless. It's kind of in the definitions.
Do tell. My father knew a guy who was murdered by a gang of left-wing fanatics who undoubtedly saw themselves as opposing fascists and questioning authority -- he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when those fanatical idiots got confused and set off their bomb at the wrong location. So are you telling us that murdering an innocent bystander doesn't count as oppressing him? Or are you telling us that the fact that the guy got in the way of their anti-fascist bomb proves he was "the powerful"?

If you define fascist as anyone who acts with aggression, sure. But that's not what fascism means.

If you define fascist as anyone who acts with aggression, sure. But that's not what fascism means.
Come again? I have refuted your claim by exhibiting an example of people who opposed fascists and questioned authority, and who also oppressed the powerless. What the devil does how I define "fascist" have to do with whether your claim was correct? Are you now claiming these people didn't really oppose fascism?

Come again? I have refuted your claim by exhibiting an example of people who opposed fascists and questioned authority, and who also oppressed the powerless. What the devil does how I define "fascist" have to do with whether your claim was correct? Are you now claiming these people didn't really oppose fascism?

They were the powerful oppressing the powerless? Killing innocents is crazy and wrong, obviously. It's terrorism. But fascism has a definition and it is not terrorist or aggressive or violent or murderer or someone you don't like or someone who says or does things you don't like or someone behaving badly in stressful times.

Were they insisting on submission to their authority? Were they insisting on conformity to their traditions? Were they supporting an authority figure in punishing dissent and non-conformity? Did they demonize everyone who wasn't part of their ideological in-group?

Regardless of how violent and wrong that small group was, they weren't acting in obedience to an authority figure's missive. They were not nearly a half of a country supporting a fascist government because the leaders of that government hijacked their animal brain fear and prejudices. They were not demonizing the most vulnerable among us. They weren't supporting inhumane government policies.

As I said, words have fucking meanings, and "fascist" doesn't mean anyone who is wrong or violent or behaving badly.

They were the powerful oppressing the powerless? Killing innocents is crazy and wrong, obviously. It's terrorism. But fascism has a definition and it is not terrorist or aggressive or violent or murderer or someone you don't like or someone who says or does things you don't like or someone behaving badly in stressful times. ...
As I said, words have <expletive deleted> meanings, and "fascist" doesn't mean anyone who is wrong or violent or behaving badly.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. You said something mind-blowingly inane: "No one who opposes fascists or questions authority has oppressed the powerless"; I pointed out that it was wrong; and then, based on zero evidence, you somehow deluded yourself into believing that I claimed the people in question are fascists. You really need to cuss at me less and work on your reading comprehension problem more.

ETA: Not that it's relevant to the point in dispute, but since you ask...

Were they insisting on submission to their authority? Were they insisting on conformity to their traditions?
Yes, as a matter of fact they were. As you say, it was terrorism. And the whole point of terrorism is to terrify people into submitting to the will of the terrorists and conforming to the demands of their subculture, which held that it was wrong to help the U.S. government make war on North Vietnam.

They were the powerful oppressing the powerless? Killing innocents is crazy and wrong, obviously. It's terrorism. But fascism has a definition and it is not terrorist or aggressive or violent or murderer or someone you don't like or someone who says or does things you don't like or someone behaving badly in stressful times. ...
As I said, words have <expletive deleted> meanings, and "fascist" doesn't mean anyone who is wrong or violent or behaving badly.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. You said something mind-blowingly inane: "No one who opposes fascists or questions authority has oppressed the powerless"; I pointed out that it was wrong; and then, based on zero evidence, you somehow deluded yourself into believing that I claimed the people in question are fascists. You really need to cuss at me less and work on your reading comprehension problem more.

ETA: Not that it's relevant to the point in dispute, but since you ask...

Were they insisting on submission to their authority? Were they insisting on conformity to their traditions?
Yes, as a matter of fact they were. As you say, it was terrorism. And the whole point of terrorism is to terrify people into submitting to the will of the terrorists and conforming to the demands of their subculture, which held that it was wrong to help the U.S. government make war on North Vietnam.

Call them terrorists, call them extremists, you'd be right. But they're not fascists. again, there is a definition for that word, although nowadays the research on the subject uses the term right wing authoritarians.

Okay, so you think "oppression" means anyone who commits violence against another is oppressing them, a very loose and general use of the word. But can we now talk about oppression by governments and institutions that oppress people on the level of society? Because that is how the term is being used in connection with police corruption. Pretending police brutality is the same as a tiny radical group with a bomb is muddying the water at best. No matter how misguided that group was, they were not the government or established powers oppressing society or any subgroup of society. They were a small group fighting a larger, established power, regardless of how violent or crazy or wrong they were.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/LvDWrIDrQnw[/YOUTUBE]

60% reduction in use of force interactions after body cams started to be used. It's amazing how well even police can change their behavior when they're actually held accountable.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/LvDWrIDrQnw[/YOUTUBE]

60% reduction in use of force interactions after body cams started to be used. It's amazing how well even police can change their behavior when they're actually held accountable.

Yup. Suddenly it's not so easy to "perceive as a threat" anyone they want to abuse or murder.
It's amazing how many white people who are not bullied by police call out people asking for accountability as "glorifying thugs", while they are themselves are doing exactly that.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/8NBMYVY5rZ0[/YOUTUBE]

Yup, it's what I keep saying. It's not the shootings we should be looking at, it's the smaller stuff.

One thing I would do: The penalty for attempting to frame someone should carry the same penalty the person would face for the crime. This guy should be doing some serious time for framing for drug possession, as well as for drug possession. (Although probably not 119 cases--they would have had to drop any case he was involved in, whether he frame anyone or not.)

I would also like to see the same penalty for whoever it was that was trying to keep the victims in jail.

Back
Top Bottom