• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

It was not a spit second between drawing the weapon and firing the weapon.

I do not even understand why the officer drew a weapon in the first place.

Drawing a taser would have made sense. That she had her gun in hand but still said "l'll tase you" is incomprehensible. She lost her cool. She did not have both hands on her gun. How did she get to be a cop?

What I'm reading on the internet is a great deal of misbelief that such an accidental confusion was possible. Some are pointing to a potential coverup. Some are pointing to extreme failure in training.

I haven't been able to find an up to date statistic of the number of people killed by tasers, but it's well over 1000.

We have GOT to change how policing is done.
I don't think it's that crazy to imagine. Given the state of policing in America, with often clownishly amateurish police forces, I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often.

How did she get to be a cop?

Same way Derek Chauvin et al got to be cops.
Ya think maybe that system needs an overhaul?

Chauvin and this gal are not comparable at all.

The mechanism whereby they were given the means and opportunity to kill civilians ("the system", aka "how they got to be cops") is the same.
Deflect, distract - that's what you're good at. But systemic racism persists.

But you're not in favor of changing that system, am I correct?

The mechanism whereby they were given the means and opportunity to kill civilians ("the system", aka "how they got to be cops") is the same.

What the fuck does a cop mistaking her gun for a taser have to do with "system racism"? Really. What the actual fuck?

Rorschach-Racist.jpg

What the fuck does a cop mistaking her gun for a taser have to do with "system racism"? Really. What the actual fuck?

I seem to recall a number of such instances. But not when "the subject" is white.
White people aren't scary enough to cause officers to lose their shit, draw, aim and fire one thing thinking it's another thing.
Capische?
You forgot to answer the question Trausti - Are you not in favor of changing the system whereby an individual "gets to be" a cop?

I seem to recall a number of such instances. But not when "the subject" is white.
White people aren't scary enough to cause officers to lose their shit, draw, aim and fire one thing thinking it's another thing.
Capische?
You forgot to answer the question Trausti - Are you not in favor of changing the system whereby an individual "gets to be" a cop?

What system are you talking about? The one where standards are lowered to increase diversity?

Rorschach-Racist.jpg

You think that maybe the cop who killed Wright was maybe a little too certain that Wright was dangerous and needed to be tazed or shot or whatever she meant to do....because he was black? I don’t even think it was conscious on her part. But a lot more conditioned than being able to tell the difference between a taser and a gun.

Rorschach-Racist.jpg

You think that maybe the cop who killed Wright was maybe a little too certain that Wright was dangerous and needed to be tazed or shot or whatever she meant to do....because he was black? I don’t even think it was conscious on her part. But a lot more conditioned than being able to tell the difference between a taser and a gun.

No. She lost her cool, immediately. She did not have the temperament to be a cop. She held her pistol wrong. She should not have been a cop. You don't need to image some racial miasma when simple incompetence would do.

Rorschach-Racist.jpg

No. She lost her cool, immediately. She did not have the temperament to be a cop. She held her pistol wrong. She should not have been a cop. You don't need to image some racial miasma when simple incompetence would do.
Why anyone would think the two (racial "miasma" and simple incompetence) are mutually exclusive is fascinating. It is conceivable it is a bit of both. Why jump to any conclusion until more information comes out?

Why anyone would think the two (racial "miasma" and simple incompetence) are mutually exclusive is fascinating. It is conceivable it is a bit of both. Why jump to any conclusion until more information comes out?

Do assume every adverse interracial interaction is due to racism?

Rorschach-Racist.jpg

I don’t know about you but personally, I think racism makes one temperamentally unfit to be a police officer.

Capische?

What system are you talking about? The one where standards are lowered to increase diversity?

I think we need more black officers screwing up and killing civilians to blame diversity.

Why was he pulled over in the first place? It wasn't because of an outstanding warrant - they only discovered that later. Apparently there was something wrong with the air freshener dangling from his rearview mirror. Like that's never happened before and is worth pulling him over for.

BTW, here is a picture of a taser. Not sure if this was the kind. But it does indeed look like a gun and might feel like one. The front is bright yellow, but the officer wouldn't see that.

Taser.jpg

Expect a product liability lawsuit against the taser company.

Why was he pulled over in the first place? It wasn't because of an outstanding warrant - they only discovered that later. Apparently there was something wrong with the air freshener dangling from his rearview mirror. Like that's never happened before and is worth pulling him over for.

BTW, here is a picture of a taser. Not sure if this was the kind. But it does indeed look like a gun and might feel like one. The front is bright yellow, but the officer wouldn't see that.

View attachment 32849

Expect a product liability lawsuit against the taser company.

I don't know if a taser feels like a gun. But in the police press conference they said that officers are to put the taser on their less dominate side; and you can see from the video that the other police officer has a yellow taser on his left side.

The problem with that is that it is nonsense.

So what if it is? The perception in the black community is precisely this. The perception has been created by numerous examples. A white guy goes on a shooting rampage against Asians, and is captured without serious incident and the officer describes him as having a bad day. A black kid is stopped for having something dangling on his rear view mirror, or because he passed a counterfeit bill, or because he was speeding and he’s dead.

Maybe you can do a full fledged statistical analysis to show that whites are killed by cops in traffic stops to the same extent as blacks are. I’d love to see that. But it won’t change the perception created by this incident. And the perception can be more important than reality.

Back
Top Bottom