• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

No. She lost her cool, immediately. She did not have the temperament to be a cop. She held her pistol wrong. She should not have been a cop. You don't need to image some racial miasma when simple incompetence would do.
Why anyone would think the two (racial "miasma" and simple incompetence) are mutually exclusive is fascinating. It is conceivable it is a bit of both. Why jump to any conclusion until more information comes out?

Do assume every adverse interracial interaction is due to racism?
How did the words "any conclusion" confuse you?

This has been all over the news this weekend. It's also disturbing is that it's been kept under wraps since December. I've watched the entire video and it's still hard to believe how they treated a man who they had no right to even pull over in the first place. He had a legal temporary tag on his car. He drove a mile to be in a well lit area, which is perfectly legal. I've been Yet there are still people who post here who deny that systemic racism is a problem across the US, in many police departments. Too many police in the US are nothing but vicious thugs.

I don't know that I can attribute any of this to racism. I think it's more that the driver didn't "respect my authoritah!"

Seconded. I think this is a POPO case (pissed off police officer.)

What I'm reading on the internet is a great deal of misbelief that such an accidental confusion was possible. Some are pointing to a potential coverup. Some are pointing to extreme failure in training.

I haven't been able to find an up to date statistic of the number of people killed by tasers, but it's well over 1000.

We have GOT to change how policing is done.

Such a confusion is most certainly possible. It's human nature and I do not believe training can overcome it. If anything, more training probably makes it more likely as the motions are more ingrained and thus the error is less likely to be realized before it's too late.

However, I don't believe your figure for the number "killed" by tasers. The problem is people who are nuts on drugs. In the old days the only way to subdue them was batons. Sometimes they died, this was attributed to damage from being subdued. Then the taser came along--they could be subdued without being beaten. Yet some would simply die afterwards anyway. This strongly suggests that it's something about the body--and this makes perfectly good sense, also. Many examples of rebound reactions exist, push something away from the normal and the body pushes back. Take drugs, quit, you get withdrawal symptoms. (In the case of alcohol they can even be fatal.) This even exists with legally prescribed stuff--there are drugs that can have bad reactions from suddenly stopping, there are a few that can have lethal reactions to suddenly stopping.

Push the body crazy hard with drugs, the body of course pushes back. When the drugs wear off you come crashing down--it certainly looks like this is a scenario where the counter swing can be lethal. We will almost certainly never know, though, as there's no remotely ethical way to test it.

As I would hope I just made clear that things can get really fucky wired in the half second it takes to draw a weapon and fire. You know I'm not just some blind cop defender; maybe evidence changes my point of view but as it is, this is just shitty all around.

As it is, pretty much the whole action is going to be in flight before you as the person doing it know that it's being done. It implies a problem with a failure of training, but none of the details indicate to me a desire to draw a gun over a taser, nor of a coverup. I've done worse by accident, after all, even if it was a training exercise. Or, arguably worse.

Your experience is exactly what I'm talking about about confusing the two. Taser vs gun is even worse as they practice both, having the wrong weapon in your hand will not feel at all unusual.

What I'm reading on the internet is a great deal of misbelief that such an accidental confusion was possible. Some are pointing to a potential coverup. Some are pointing to extreme failure in training.

I haven't been able to find an up to date statistic of the number of people killed by tasers, but it's well over 1000.

We have GOT to change how policing is done.

Such a confusion is most certainly possible. It's human nature and I do not believe training can overcome it. If anything, more training probably makes it more likely as the motions are more ingrained and thus the error is less likely to be realized before it's too late.

However, I don't believe your figure for the number "killed" by tasers. The problem is people who are nuts on drugs. In the old days the only way to subdue them was batons. Sometimes they died, this was attributed to damage from being subdued. Then the taser came along--they could be subdued without being beaten. Yet some would simply die afterwards anyway. This strongly suggests that it's something about the body--and this makes perfectly good sense, also. Many examples of rebound reactions exist, push something away from the normal and the body pushes back. Take drugs, quit, you get withdrawal symptoms. (In the case of alcohol they can even be fatal.) This even exists with legally prescribed stuff--there are drugs that can have bad reactions from suddenly stopping, there are a few that can have lethal reactions to suddenly stopping.

Push the body crazy hard with drugs, the body of course pushes back. When the drugs wear off you come crashing down--it certainly looks like this is a scenario where the counter swing can be lethal. We will almost certainly never know, though, as there's no remotely ethical way to test it.

Of course you don't believe my figure, although I never just guess or make it up: I always consult sources. What I had hoped to find was a break down of taser deaths/year but I wasn't able to find it when I wrote. But here's the link to the article I used as a source:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ties-start-rethinking-taser-use-idUSKCN1PT0YT

Reuters now has documented a total of at least 1,081 U.S. deaths following use of Tasers, almost all since the weapons began coming into widespread use in the early 2000s. In many of those cases, the Taser, which fires a pair of barbed darts that deliver a paralyzing electrical charge, was combined with other force, such as hand strikes or restraint holds.

Wiki is usually my source of last resort but here's an article that draws from a number of studies and scholarly papers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser_safety_issues

And to answer my own question it’s true. Black people are twice as likely to be killed by cops as white people.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/...ely-than-black-people-to-be-killed-by-police/

Just as I suspected. So the perception is absolutely not nonsense.

This has been discussed on here ad nauseum. Police killings are disproportionate to the population, but they are consistent with the population of those arrested.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 35 fatal shootings per million of the population as of March 2021.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1123070/police-shootings-rate-ethnicity-us/
The rate of fatal police shootings in the United States shows large differences based on ethnicity. Among Black Americans, the rate of fatal police shootings between 2015 and March 2021 stood at 35 per million of the population, while for White Americans, the rate stood at 14 fatal police shootings per million of the population.

This has been discussed on here ad nauseum. Police killings are disproportionate to the population, but they are consistent with the population of those arrested.

It has been posted many times, and it remains true that when Police pull over Black people at a higher targeted rate compared to the actual actions of the drivers, when police stop and frisk Black citizens at a higher targeted rated compared to the actions of the people, when they arrest Black people at a higher rate for the same actions as whites, when they punish them harsher in school, when they suspend them more often for the same behavior, when they imprison them more often given the same crime levels, then OF COURSE the arrest rate of Black people, when artifically high like that, as we all know well from documented evidence that it is artificail, then Loren can report this as all justified compared to their arrest rates.

Which is systemic, and so easy to demonstrate, and so disgusting.

What the fuck does a cop mistaking her gun for a taser have to do with "system racism"? Really. What the actual fuck?

I seem to recall a number of such instances. But not when "the subject" is white.
White people aren't scary enough to cause officers to lose their shit, draw, aim and fire one thing thinking it's another thing.
Capische?
You forgot to answer the question Trausti - Are you not in favor of changing the system whereby an individual "gets to be" a cop?

What system are you talking about?

Welcome to my ignore list. Reading comprehension certainly isn't your forté.

Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias
Using information obtained through public record requests, the Stanford Open Policing Project examined almost 100 million traffic stops conducted from 2011 to 2017 across 21 state patrol agencies, including California, Illinois, New York and Texas, and 29 municipal police departments, including New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco and St. Paul, Minnesota.

The results show that police stopped and searched black and Latino drivers on the basis of less evidence than used in stopping white drivers, who are searched less often but are more likely to be found with illegal items. The study does not set out to conclude whether officers knowingly engaged in racial discrimination, but uses a more nuanced analysis of traffic stop data to infer that race is a factor when people are pulled over — and that it's occuring across the country.

"Because of this analysis, we're able to get to that anecdotal story to say this is really happening," said Sharad Goel, an assistant professor in management science and engineering at Stanford and a co-author of the study.
Part of the research:
Police stops: A "veil of darkness" test was done to analyze whether black drivers are being pulled over at a higher rate during the day than at night, when officers would have a harder time distinguishing race from a distance. After adjusting for the variation in sunset times across the year, researchers found a 5 to 10 percent drop in the share of stopped drivers after sunset who are black, suggesting black drivers are being racially profiled during the day.
The Stanford Open Policing Project
Currently, a comprehensive, national repository detailing interactions between police and the public doesn’t exist. That’s why the Stanford Open Policing Project is collecting and standardizing data on vehicle and pedestrian stops from law enforcement departments across the country — and we’re making that information freely available. We’ve already gathered over 200 million records from dozens of state and local police departments across the country.
Great work.

So what if it is? The perception in the black community is precisely this. The perception has been created by numerous examples. A white guy goes on a shooting rampage against Asians, and is captured without serious incident and the officer describes him as having a bad day. A black kid is stopped for having something dangling on his rear view mirror, or because he passed a counterfeit bill, or because he was speeding and he’s dead.
This is just you cherry picking cases. Vast majority of black suspects are arrested as well, included murderers.

Inside 100 million police traffic stops: New evidence of racial bias

Part of the research:

The Stanford Open Policing Project
Currently, a comprehensive, national repository detailing interactions between police and the public doesn’t exist. That’s why the Stanford Open Policing Project is collecting and standardizing data on vehicle and pedestrian stops from law enforcement departments across the country — and we’re making that information freely available. We’ve already gathered over 200 million records from dozens of state and local police departments across the country.
Great work.
I look forward to Loren's nuanced and detailed analysis of why this is wrong.

I'll summarize: "Nuh-uh!"

;)

Big Twitter thread:
The Recount on Twitter: "Warning: Graphic footage ..." / Twitter
Warning: Graphic footage, including the shooting

Here's the body camera footage of the killing of Daunte Wright that was just released.

Press conference attendee reacts to body cam footage of the killing of Daunte Wright:

“Oh my god, you’re telling me that wasn’t enough to terminate this officer?”

Brooklyn Center, MN Police Chief Tim Gannon calls Daunte Wright’s killing an “accidental discharge.”

He says: “It is my belief that the officer had the intention to employ their taser, but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet.”

Reporter: "Why is it that police officers in the United States keep killing young Black men and young Black women at a far far far higher rate than they do white people?"

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon: "I don't have an answer to that question."

Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, Mayor Mike Elliott on police killing of Daunte Wright:

“I do fully support releasing the officer of her duties.”

After Brooklyn Center, MN, City Manager Curt Boganey says officer who shot Daunte Wright will get “due process.”

Presser attendee tells him, “Daunte Wright did not get due process in that situation — she needs to be fired immediately.”

Brooklyn Center, MN, City Manager Curt Boganey, who has control over police department personnel, received some pushback after these comments:

“All employees … are entitled to due process with respect to discipline.”
How to make right-wingers act like card-carrying members of the ACLU: charge them with something.

They become born-again civil libertarians VERY quickly.

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon on whether he authorized use of tear gas and rubber bullets during protests last night:

“Police action is made by me, the decision is made by me. Does that answer your question?”

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon gets emotional while responding to attendees at presser about police killing of Daunte Wright:

“I’m the leader of this department. They expect me to lead, create a safe city … yeah I’m emotional.”

Brooklyn Center, MN, Police Chief Tim Gannon: “I am committed to protecting the peaceful protesters of the city. Every day.”

Press conference attendee: “Not yesterday.”

Chief: “Peaceful protesters.”

Police in full riot gear are stationed in Brooklyn Center, MN.

Biden: “Was it an accident or was it intentional? That remains to be determined ...”

“In the meantime, I want to make it clear again: There is absolutely no justification, none, for looting ... Peaceful protest? Understandable.”

Biden's answer to what he can deliver on in terms of reforming policing, one day later:

"A lot, and I'll tell ya later, let's go."
I agree with President Biden here. Peaceful protests are good. Looting and destruction of property are bad.

Back
Top Bottom