• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post Your Own Wildlife Photography

It's a dullish female shot at the wrong angle to show any blue.

Now if you want to talk red-bellied woodpeckers --

Rob

There is a faint reddish patch on the belly if you catch it at the right angle. It's by no means its most prominent feature; they could have called it the red-capped woodpecker, or something similar.

Rob

There is a faint reddish patch on the belly if you catch it at the right angle. It's by no means its most prominent feature; they could have called it the red-capped woodpecker, or something similar.

Rob

Red-capped woodpecker would be a better name given that red-headed woodpecker is already taken.

LOL. I wouldn't mind if Trump found a way to humanely deport my invasive starlings and a Japanese bittersweet.

Organizing my 2018 photos for safe storage I thought that I'd post some that I didn't get to posting at the time.

A house finch in my front trees in July
2018 07 26 15 47 38.JPG

European Sterling in my back yard from October
2018 10 17 10 03 25.JPG

Wild Turkey chicks from July
2018 07 13 10 15 35.JPG

White-cheeked Starling from June in Japan
2018 06 08 18 21 01.JPG

In December I got rid of a paper wasp nest that was on the wall the upstairs of my detached garage
2018 12 09 12 29 24.jpg

I wasn't happy with how the house finch turned out so I made some edits on contrast and highlights.2018 07 26 15 47 38.JPG

The Dark-eyed Junco's have returned.

Many have swarmed in over the last couple days. They will be abundant in my yard until around March, when they will go north.

So far as I can recall, the Junco is the only yard bird around here that comes to stay the winter before going north again in the spring.

They are not so easy to photograph. They like the ground or being close to the ground to forage for seeds and such. They frequently stay in my shadows or in the shrubs making them sometimes hard to photograph. On the other hand they are social birds and so when there's one, there are probably at least 6 others. This morning there were probably around 15 in the general vicinity when I was photographing and then all of a sudden, they all moved somewhere else.

My first attempt to get some good Junco pictures this morning. I had to brighten them some as they were in the shadows.

I'll continue to try to get some clearer shots.

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

I was able to get out for a bit today.

Common Goldeneyes. I don't have a lot of good pictures of them and these are not so good. They were a long ways away and I had to crop to make them larger.

2019 01 06 11 30 14.JPG

2019 01 06 11 30 22.JPG

A mute swan having come in for a landing. Again I had to crop this.
2019 01 06 12 11 27.JPG

Hairy woodpecker. These are not cropped.
2019 01 06 13 41 55.JPG

2019 01 06 13 42 54.JPG

Some excellent shots there. I'm particularly impressed with the hairy. I've yet to get a rally good shot of one.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom