• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Racism And Kamala Harris

I am sorry you’ve had such miserable experiences. There are lots of shitty people all along the political spectrum-no doubt about that. I guess my experience is not as harsh as yours.

I know lots of self-proclaimed progressives and they do tend to have intolerant tones. But to their credit, their rhetoric snd actions do not come close to the offers of violence that come from the right.
Depends where you're looking, I suppose. Out and about in the real world, I'm generally interacting with normal well-adjusted people who still remember that other people are people. I have had very nasty interactions with extremely progressive young people, although not often. I have had marginally nasty interactions with fringy religious rightists, but they haven't actually been as blatantly nasty.

But none of that real world experience translates to here. And here, on this site, it has been unquestionably self-proclaimed progressives demonstrating the absolute lowest levels of tolerance.
Anyway, I hope your experiences lighten up because this heightened cynicism of yours worries me for your wellbeing.
Yeah, it worries me too. I'm extremely cynical right now, and I'm likely to be until several months after the next president takes office and we all see that the world did not actually end.

It's also not a constant level of frustration. Sometimes I simply run out of patience with the vitriol and the condescension. And I get tired of trying to maintain some semblance of civility toward people who are being self-righteously uncivil toward me.

I agree that neither Mr. Biden nor Ms Harris are radical leftists. I think it is rather delusional to think so. But I also think that many people, (especially ones who are extremely vexed or frustrated) nowadays tend to more hyperbolic rhetoric. While I may be wrong - and Emily Lake can (and will, if I am wrong) correct me, but I think that is her situation.
I acknowledge that Biden isn't explicitly a radical leftist. But Both Biden and Harris have supported policies that I view as very progressive, and which I oppose. I am definitely extremely frustrated, there's no question about that. Both of them have embraced a style of identity politics that I think is detrimental to the country, and which fosters divisiveness.

Trump also fosters divisiveness, as do many Republicans. From my perspective, I don't think that the divisiveness that Republicans embrace is something that has any reasonable chance to become enacted as legislative policy. It's sucky, stupid, short-sighted, emotive fearmongering, absolutely. But not policy.

I can deal with shitheads being shitheads. I can bite my tongue and leave people to believe whatever idiotic stupidity they want. It's policy that worries me, because policy is extremely difficult to undo. And for those few topics where both the right and the left are advocating policies that I find objectionable, I have to try to decide which policy is most likely to be enacted, which is most challengeable in the future, and which I'm most willing to tolerate.

I didn't think that there was any chance of Roe v Wade being overturned. I'm very unhappy that it was. But I also don't support completely unfettered abortions, because at some point a fetus is a baby. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. And it's a view held by the vast majority of americans, who tend to think that somewhere between three and five months into a pregnancy, abortion should no longer be an option unless the life of the mother is at risk. But having abortion laws turned over to the states still allows for those laws to be challenged - and continuously challenged. So there is some recourse to oppose them and to change the approach in highly restrictive states.

Rewrites to Title IX and the (still forever stuck) ERA cause me more concern. If we can't even have a basis for what a woman is in the first place, there is no recourse to providing for a woman's right to bodily autonomy. And when the legislation coming from the top down requires that men can be treated as women in sports, prisons, medical provision, etc. then there challenges to restrictive abortion laws become almost impossible to pursue. Any reasonable approach to ensure that women have equal opportunity to participate in society become meaningless when men get counted as women. To me, that has some profound impacts on women, and it will be much, much harder to undo.

None of it makes me happy. I don't think there's a policy position out there from either party that I actually think is a good policy. But some are worse than others, some have more long-term negative consequences, and some are more insulated from challenge.

I've lost track of the number of times I've been told that being an Independent makes me just as bad as the most rabid evil trumpsucker maggat fascist nazi to ever breathe.
Wow. You’re almost one of babs’ Ukrainians!
Can you provide an example of someone saying that, perhaps included in the post where you tell us where you read that Dems favor open borders?

It just might be that it's because your wants and wishes, the people you call idiots (liberals), the people you defend...
MAYBE they are all the same wants and wishes that fascist conservatives harbor, MAYBE you are insulting the same people they insult and MAYBE you are defending the same people they defend.
That WILL get you the kid glove treatment from conservatives, while simultaneously raising the ire of liberals. Explains everything.
Or maybe you're just making shit up in your own head, and fueling your own fantasies so that you feel justified in your treatment of me.

You have no basis whatsoever for insinuating that I have fascist leanings, or that I insult people in that way, or that I defend whoever the fuck it is you think shouldn't be defended. You have ZERO evidence or support for your assertions.

So, anyone see clips of Trump's interview with the National Association of Black Journalists? The Bulwark (never Trump former Republican outfit) posted a good summary with clips:

No candidate could survive this, but I bet his supporters loved it.

You have no basis whatsoever for insinuating that I have fascist leanings
How about a smarmy inability to answer a simple question about your own statements? Maybe it’s fascist, maybe it’s fucking CENTRIST in your opinion. I think better of our “center”.
Why did you say you get your news right here, and yet can’t point to where you found “Dems support open borders”?

So, anyone see clips of Trump's interview with the National Association of Black Journalists? The Bulwark (never Trump former Republican outfit) posted a good summary with clips:

Yep! That was an utter debacle from any Rep operative’s perspective. I found it downright mysterious. Why? Why come out an attack a group you WERE gaining with?
Almost like he’s given up on winning the election already, and is now just trying to gird his morons to “fight like hell” when he loses.

You have no basis whatsoever for insinuating that I have fascist leanings, or that I insult people in that way, or that I defend whoever the fuck it is you think shouldn't be defended. You have ZERO evidence or support for your assertions.

Got any evidence or support for your assertions that the Democratic platform (not yet written) favors open borders and disbanding police forces, or that federal legislation exists mandating that men can participate in women’s sports?

Vilifying progressives doesn’t leave time to discuss border policy, policing, trans issues, etc.
it barely leaves time to mention that the Dem platform favors open borders and disbanding police forces.
An honest poster would have no problem telling where they got that … uh … information. IMHO of course. But there could be extenuating circumstances.

She's a PROSECUTOR. Almost by definition a redneck conservative, by the yardstick that was in play 40 years ago.
Sure, sure, and judges are totally neutral with no political leanings of their own.

There's plenty out there about the progressive prosecutor movement, prosecutorial reform, and viewing crime as a social phenomenon that should be dealt with through a soft touch, education, and community service, and within which prisons should be avoided and are viewed as being ineffectual. The idea that sentencing for crimes should be framed as rehabilitative in general rather than punitive in nature is hardly limited to people outside of the justice system. Hell, to envision that prosecutors don't hold that same view - and seek policies to enact that view - is kind of idealistic.

I hope everyone realizes that when you make a reply, you can delete all the text prior to the line or lines to which you are specifically replying. Sometimes we can these long walls of text with nested quotes with only one or two lines in reply to a single sentence at the end of that long text wall. It’d be easier on the eyes if everyone would practice deleting inessential stuff.
Even better - toggle it to BB code, delete ALL of the intervening stuff, then toggle back.

The never-ending nest of quotes is tiring.

I don't watch Fox or the like.
Iirc you said IIDB is your main source of news. Gotta keep reminding myself.
Where did you read that Democrats favor open borders?
Did I actually say open borders? Or is that reframing just easier for you to defend than actually addressing policies to extend citizenship to people who entered the country illegally?

Did I actually say open borders?
Why don’t you tell us what you think you did say, and why? That way it allows for both transcription error and opinion drift.
Did you KNOW about the bipartisan border bill that gave Republicans everything they wanted and more, and was quashed by The Unelected Boss?
What DO you think about Dems and the border?

And when the legislation coming from the top down requires that men can be treated as women in sports, prisons, medical provision, etc. …
There is no such legislation. This is just your fever dream that trans people cannot exist, hence a man who transitions is still in fact a man.
A man who has cosmetic surgery is still a man. A man who does NOT have cosmetic surgery, but simply says that they feel like a woman is still factually a man.

People who view themselves as transgender certainly do exist. I am not, and have never suggested that such people are figments of our collective imagination. What I do say is that a person's view of their own internal personality does not change what they objectively are, and that their wishes do not govern the perceptions of other people.

Eddie Izzard is free to "feel" as womanly as he wants to feel, whatever it is that he thinks that means. He is free to dress in mini skirts and heels, and adorn himself in whatever way pleases him. But at the end of the day, Izzard is a male of the human species who has attained both sexual maturity and legal status as an adult... and that makes Izzard a man.

Eddie Izzard exists. Eddie Izzard should have every right to dress and present himself however he likes, without being subjected to harassment or persecution. Eddie's presentation and mannerisms should not disqualify him from any job where sex is not a fundamental requirement for the role. Eddie's presentation and mannerisms should not be used as a means to disallow access to housing, employment, or participation in society.

But none of that makes Eddie Izzard a woman. He is still a man.

I guess it depends on how you define "radical". If "radical" means at the extreme ends of the political ideologies, then certainly KH has met that definition during the whole time she was a Senator. Only surpassed by Elizabeth Warren, who occupies the #1 spot:

https://voteview.com/person/41701/kamala-devi-harris

Check out the ideology score in the uppper right corner of the webpage.

But if by radical, you mean just plain kind of batshit crazy, then yes I would agree that KH is certainly not at Talib or Bush's level.
Ms Warren is not part of the radical left by centrist standards. So, your analysis about Ms Hartis is unconvincing .
Huh. You're not impressed by a post I made. I'm shocked I tell you, shocked!

You mean the one who said he wasn't taking political donations because he was so rich? That one?
I should have said "no other candidate could survive this."

I went back and watched the whole fiasco. It's arguably worse than just watching the clips. His "pivot" away from racist attacks on Harris was to return to his "classic hit" of calling anyone brown coming into the country as a criminal, then adding that they're trying to steal not just American jobs, but "black jobs." Racism on top of racism. He also doubled down on his promise to pardon the J6 rioters who attacked cops, hemmed and hawed over whether or not a cop who shot an innocent black woman should be given immunity, and repeatedly attacked one of the moderators. The Harris campaign is likely pretty happy about this, as it coincides with their debut of her "say it to my face" slogan. I'm willing to bet they're thinking "it sucks we only have 3 months to keep repeating this stuff, because in a normal campaign this would last us a whole year."

Oh, and he just came out on Trump Sociopath and claimed that he "crushed it."

Back
Top Bottom