• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Remember When ...?

I came in this morning and one of my co-workers has one of these leaning against his cubicle:

Carrom_carrom.jpg

This used to be the state of the art in gameplay.

Remember when Star Wars was magical and you'd stop everything if you found out USA Network was showing the whole trilogy!!!!
I came in this morning and one of my co-workers has one of these leaning against his cubicle:

View attachment 5727

This used to be the state of the art in gameplay.
Oh glob! I'm just at the edge when the Atari came in and this stuff still existed. I loved that thing, pool being my favorite.

What are 5K's?
five kilometre run.

People actually pay thirty bucks US to run for five kilometres.

Wha?

I walked 5km today for nothing - and I took the dog for no extra charge.

Americans are crazy.

Still, I guess over there if you are seen running without a permit, some bugger will decide you are suspicious and shoot you.

;)

I remember when my older sister had a boyfriend who worked for the Army in some testing division. He brought gifts... big cans of special gunpowder. So fun... I would saw the very tops off used CO2 cartridges (leaving the "neck" where they taper down), fill them about 1/3 full of the powder, insert a waxed matchstick, then some tissue wadding, and finally I'd melt lead and pour it around the matchstick. When it cooled, I'd take the matchstick out, and insert two wires with a flashbulb (remember them?) filament between them.

Run the wires as far as possible - never far enough to be safe, maybe 75-100 feet. Then touch the wires to a dry cell battery (remember those?) and BOOM! Buried under 6" of dirt, one of those things would blow a 4' crater in the ground.

What's different today? Getting praised by Mom for being an enterprising child, instead of being consigned to Federal custody, for one thing.

Who ever remembers being put on the naughty step of the staircase and when mum wasn't watching you would change steps and thought to yourself that you're no longer in trouble but you're sitting here because you want to.

Remember when driving under the influence was a direct measurement of your manhood? Dad bragging about how intoxicated he was when he came home, and yet still "the car was parked perfectly in the driveway" (If by driveway you extended the concept past the concrete and six feet into the rosebushes...)

Until Dad became Grandpa... And suddenly he grills me over the phone when i use 'kids' and 'car' and 'cough medicine' in the same paragraph.

Somehow HE Doesn't remember a 20 minute delay in driving home from the Pizza Parlor because he was convinced the car would go faster if he could find a Mariachi Band on the radio, now he's 'terribly concerned' that i'm not fully cognizant of the hazards posed by the components of even over-the-counter medication.

Remember when driving under the influence was a direct measurement of your manhood? Dad bragging about how intoxicated he was when he came home, and yet still "the car was parked perfectly in the driveway" (If by driveway you extended the concept past the concrete and six feet into the rosebushes...)

Until Dad became Grandpa... And suddenly he grills me over the phone when i use 'kids' and 'car' and 'cough medicine' in the same paragraph.

Somehow HE Doesn't remember a 20 minute delay in driving home from the Pizza Parlor because he was convinced the car would go faster if he could find a Mariachi Band on the radio, now he's 'terribly concerned' that i'm not fully cognizant of the hazards posed by the components of even over-the-counter medication.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!

And don't forget, this same man would drive YOU, little six year old YOU, and your entire family all the way across town without any one in the car in seatbelts after an afternoon of "socializing" wink, wink.

YOU, however, can't drive a lawn mower in your own yard with your children IN THE HOUSE after a table spoon of Robitussin, because THAT would DANGEROUS!

Reminds me of back in the '60's my family (mom, dad, me, sister and two brothers) would pile in our 1963 Studebaker pickup and drive 2 hours on a curvy, undivided highway to our cabin in the mountains. I was no older than 7, and my brother was no older than 5. Mom and Dad in the front, and all four kids, plus gear in the bed of the truck. Us kids would just sit on the truck bed in little gaps in between luggage, the cooler, etc. No seatbelts (the truck didn't come with them) even in the cab. Looking back, it seems like complete insanity and child endangerment as a minimum, but I don't think we even batted an eye. You'd see other families out driving around like that. It was just what everyone did back then. Today, you'd be filmed and posted on Youtube and then shamed on national news for it. Funny how times change.

Remember when you Dad figured out the 'Forward' button on his email, and you started getting funny joke emails where you had to scroll down through about forty bazillion email addresses in the header?

And the only New Year's resolution you've ever kept was to never send Dad an email, ever again, that he might forward on to one of those forty bazillion coworkers and former coworkers and golf buddies and pharmaceutical representatives and relatives and people who have last names kinda close to a relatives' and that guy that sold him a cord of firewood that one time and the woman he bought an old Playboy from on eBay, because emails and texts and just absolutely screaming "DELETE THE GODDAMNED EMAIL CHAIN BEFORE FORWARDING GOD DAMMIT!" works about as well as doing it as interpretive dance?

Remember when you Dad figured out the 'Forward' button on his email, and you started getting funny joke emails where you had to scroll down through about forty bazillion email addresses in the header?

And the only New Year's resolution you've ever kept was to never send Dad an email, ever again, that he might forward on to one of those forty bazillion coworkers and former coworkers and golf buddies and pharmaceutical representatives and relatives and people who have last names kinda close to a relatives' and that guy that sold him a cord of firewood that one time and the woman he bought an old Playboy from on eBay, because emails and texts and just absolutely screaming "DELETE THE GODDAMNED EMAIL CHAIN BEFORE FORWARDING GOD DAMMIT!" works about as well as doing it as interpretive dance?
My parents died before Al Gore invented Peaches and email and AOL, but I lived with an aunt of that exact description. Her daughter and I just used the code word "dancing bears" for any of the million emails from her mom that didn't really need to be read or responded to.

IM message: "Hey, heads up, when you get home and check your email tonight, all the Fwds from Mom are dancing bears except the one with 'Pete' in the subject line. You should read that one. Oh, and also that one from last week with the '!!!!!' in the subject line has a question specifically to you so you should probably answer."

Back
Top Bottom