• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sen. Feinstein Claims She Received Info On Kavanaugh And Sent It To FBI

Does anyone else think that all this talk about him being just a boy is hypocritical.

Remember Trayvon Martin who was 17...oh he's not a child. Or worse,
Some conservatives — though not just conservatives — insist that it is unfair to judge a middle-aged man for things he did as a kid. On Fox News, the former George W. Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer pondered the weight of high school misbehavior. “Should that deny us chances later in life?” he asked. “Even for Supreme Court job, a presidency of the United States, or you name it?”

Such arguments would be more convincing if people on the right weren’t so selective in their indulgence. Donald Trump called for the death penalty for the Central Park Five, who were 14 to 16 years old when they were arrested. (They’ve since been proven innocent.) Children are regularly put on sex offender registries, sometimes for their entire lives, for conduct less serious than what Kavanaugh is accused of. In a sour irony, some legal experts think Kavanaugh’s confirmation could imperil Miller v. Alabama, a 2012 decision banning life sentences without parole for most teenage convicts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/...rett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-republicans.html

I actually agree with the point that he was just 17 and this was 35 years ago. What I think matters is how he has grown as a person since then. Has he? However, what I see is inconsistency from some people in this thread and conservatives as it applies to previous issues.
Kavenaugh denied (or tried to deny) abortion services to a 17 year old immigrant. Clearly, he thinks that decisions and actions done when one is 17 should have lifelong consequences. That should be applied to him as well.
His denial also changed. He is saying the woman has him mixed up with some other drunken teen. Which then leads to the next question, is it possible that Kavanaugh did this and can't remember! If he was so drunk that the woman thought he could accidentally kill her via suffocation, should he be expected to remember?

How is that for employment options, that one would not be put on the Supreme Court because of an action they didn't remember ever committing due to high drunkeness. So I suppose the question becomes, can they put these two people together at this party.

Kavenaugh denied (or tried to deny) abortion services to a 17 year old immigrant. Clearly, he thinks that decisions and actions done when one is 17 should have lifelong consequences. That should be applied to him as well.

Right. But also this isn't about something that happened 35 years ago, as the Republicans would like us to think. It's about his honesty and integrity on display today. And this is from a devout Catholic who must confess things like lieing. As it happens it also reflects on what his attitude would be concerning the rights of young men with regard to how they are permitted to treat young women. And what kind of example is it for his two young girls who will eventually have to judge for themselves? What is he willing to sacrifice in order to gain this position of power? On the other hand there's a possibility he'll admit the mistake he made and how it's an example of one of society's proplems that needs to be corrected. He'll apologize. That, I would think, would turn everything in his favor. Considering how scandolous this affair could become he might do just that.

In terms of the support letter, it turns out that out of the 65 women who vouched for him, only two are now sticking to that.

https://hillreporter.com/kavanaugh-loses-support-from-women-who-vouched-for-him-7467

So, it does look like they just got oks through the alumni call tree and now that the people they called have had a chance to hear about and read the allegations, they really don't want to be standing in the middle of this dumpster fire.

I was really wondering about the 65 number. I wasn't the most popular guy in high school, but when thinking about the most popular guy, I was wondering if he'd have been able to find 65 women to sign off on his character, as in just that bulk of a number. That'd be almost half of (the females) in my graduating class size.
In terms of the support letter, it turns out that out of the 65 women who vouched for him, only two are now sticking to that.

https://hillreporter.com/kavanaugh-loses-support-from-women-who-vouched-for-him-7467

So, it does look like they just got oks through the alumni call tree and now that the people they called have had a chance to hear about and read the allegations, they really don't want to be standing in the middle of this dumpster fire.
So they "signed off" on the letter, but didn't actually sign it. Well, so much for that. Not that it really tells us much if he doesn't have a bunch of women saying they'd be his first choice to rape.

Though, going to the source, it doesn't seem to read this way.

Politico said:
Kavanaugh’s defenders included some of the 65 high-school acquaintances who signed an open letter last week vouching for his character after the allegations were first reported.

"I stand by the letter I signed. I do not know this woman,” said Stephanie Conway McGill by email on Sunday, referring to Ford.

Meghan McCaleb said: “I absolutely stand by the letter we signed.”
"I 100 percent stand behind my letter," Julie DeVol, another of the women who signed the letter, told POLITICO Monday.

"I know him very well and I’m 100 percent behind him," Suzanne Matan said in a brief interview.

"The Brett Kavanaugh I know is a good and decent person, and I have never seen him treat women with anything but respect," Virginia Hume wrote on Twitter Monday.

Two ex-girlfriends of Kavanaugh who also signed the letter, Maura Fitzgerald and Maura Kane, also released statements Monday on Kavanaugh's behalf.

Five of the women who signed the letter declined to comment when reached by POLITICO following the public revelation of Ford's identity.

Dozens of others either didn't respond to POLITICO's inquiries or could not be reached.
That seems to indicate that Politco couldn't get in contact with most and that about half (of a small pool) made statements that were positive to Kavanaugh with the remainder saying nothing.

Last edited:
I wondered about that number as well, especially when you consider that he went to an all boys private school.

He denied what Ford claimed, just like almost every single man does. Even though Clinton didn't attempt to rape Lewinsky, he still denied that they had a sexual relationship. "I didn't have sex with that woman"! Oh yeah. It depends on what the meaning of sex is.... :rolleyes: I voted for Clinton but I wanted him to resign after he lied.

Trump and every other sleazy man denies it when they sexually harass or assault a woman. I have absolutely no doubt that Anita Hill was telling the truth about Clarence Thomas, as well back in 1991 And, I have no doubt that Ford is telling the truth. Women don't make up stories about an assault that happened decades ago and the memories still haunt them. Women who lie about being sexually assaulted fit a certain profile and Ford doesn't fit that profile at all. She sacrificed her reputation by coming forward. I don't want to see another Thomas on the court, although I'm doubtful that
this ass won't be voted in by the Republicans. They've sold themselves out to the party. I guess we'll see how it goes next week, but I'm not optimistic.

Wow. It's pretty disgusting how eagerly Republicans are willing to drag our nation's respect and esteem through the mud in order to gain control for a clearly unimpeachable extra-marital affair. If I knew this about him before the election it would be another matter and many wouldn't have voted for him. What he did which caused me to loose all respect was to lie under oath. That was cowardly.

I wondered about that number as well, especially when you consider that he went to an all boys private school.

He denied what Ford claimed, just like almost every single man does. Even though Clinton didn't attempt to rape Lewinsky, he still denied that they had a sexual relationship. "I didn't have sex with that woman"! Oh yeah. It depends on what the meaning of sex is.... :rolleyes: I voted for Clinton but I wanted him to resign after he lied.

Trump and every other sleazy man denies it when they sexually harass or assault a woman. I have absolutely no doubt that Anita Hill was telling the truth about Clarence Thomas, as well back in 1991 And, I have no doubt that Ford is telling the truth. Women don't make up stories about an assault that happened decades ago and the memories still haunt them. Women who lie about being sexually assaulted fit a certain profile and Ford doesn't fit that profile at all. She sacrificed her reputation by coming forward. I don't want to see another Thomas on the court, although I'm doubtful that
this ass won't be voted in by the Republicans. They've sold themselves out to the party. I guess we'll see how it goes next week, but I'm not optimistic.

And why is nobody talking about his perjury and financial vulnerability? This guy screams "national security risk" and "unfit for the bench". I don't care about the scandal, I don't want a person willing to commit perjury or vulnerable to blackmail and bribery on the highest court in the land.

I agree. I was 12 years old in 7th grade and just beginning to develop. I got on the school bus and a 15 yo ninth grader (friend of my older brother) was the only other one on the bus. He grabbed me and began to kiss and grope me. I was able to break free and run. It haunted me....still haunts me. I can ASSURE you that if John McDonough from Miami was up for SC justice, I absolutely would bring it up.

Except it was a technicality, not a lie. The other side had already defined "sex" as penis-in-vagina. Thus he took advantage of their mistakenly-narrow question but didn't actually lie.

Except it was a technicality, not a lie. The other side had already defined "sex" as penis-in-vagina. Thus he took advantage of their mistakenly-narrow question but didn't actually lie.

Lissen here sonny - is is is, is is not is not, is is is!!
So there.

Does anyone else think that all this talk about him being just a boy is hypocritical.

Remember Trayvon Martin who was 17...oh he's not a child. Or worse,
Some conservatives — though not just conservatives — insist that it is unfair to judge a middle-aged man for things he did as a kid. On Fox News, the former George W. Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer pondered the weight of high school misbehavior. “Should that deny us chances later in life?” he asked. “Even for Supreme Court job, a presidency of the United States, or you name it?”

Such arguments would be more convincing if people on the right weren’t so selective in their indulgence. Donald Trump called for the death penalty for the Central Park Five, who were 14 to 16 years old when they were arrested. (They’ve since been proven innocent.) Children are regularly put on sex offender registries, sometimes for their entire lives, for conduct less serious than what Kavanaugh is accused of. In a sour irony, some legal experts think Kavanaugh’s confirmation could imperil Miller v. Alabama, a 2012 decision banning life sentences without parole for most teenage convicts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/...rett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-republicans.html

I actually agree with the point that he was just 17 and this was 35 years ago. What I think matters is how he has grown as a person since then. Has he? However, what I see is inconsistency from some people in this thread and conservatives as it applies to previous issues.

A couple of points:

1. Suppose he denied access in a case where the pregnancy is in its 37th week. Would that be conclusive (or even good) evidence that he believes that decisions and actions done when one is 17 should have lifelong consequences?
Suppose a person believes that 17 year old women should not be allowed to engage in infanticide after their baby is born. Should we conclude that the person in question believes that decisions and actions done when one is 17 should have lifelong consequences?
I would say that such behavior or beliefs are likely not good evidence regarding a person's beliefs on the duration the consequences should have, but rather, they might provide good evidence (depending on the case) about facts such as their beliefs about the morality of killing late term fetuses or newborns and/or about what the law says.

2. Even if he believes some decisions and actions done when one is 17 should have lifelong consequences, it does not follow he believes all of them should. In fact, he would probably apply statutes of limitations to let people off the hook if the legal stipulated time has passed, regardless of whether they committed a crime at, say, 27 or 37. But one should not conclude from this that he believes that no actions and decisions made when one is 27 or 37 should have lifelong consequences. In a case in which the statute of limitations has not expired, he probably would (if he had to decide) apply the legal prescriptions, some of which (depending on the case) involve lifelong consequences (e.g., having a criminal record), and one should not draw the conclusion that he believes that all decisions and actions should have lifelong consequences.

Kavanaugh's changing his story. Now it was "rough horseplay."

https://www.newsandguts.com/link/tpm-kavanaugh-team-now-calls-rough-horse-play/

How rough could it have been since it never happened, according to Bullshittin' Brett?

He is not saying that. He is saying that it never happened.

Ah. It was a supporter not BS Brett himself. With "support" like that, who needs detractors?
I am personally in the "out of fucks to give about this" camp. He should be disqualified for lying to Congress.

I didn't vote for Clinton.

I thought it was wrong and reprehensible for him to be brought to impeachment over a consensual relationship between two adults with no element of coercion involved. I still think that is the stance he should have taken: his sex life was private and the only person whose questions he was obligated to answer were those of his spouse.

Other allegations that were brought forward that involved allegations of force or rape---those should have been investigated much more thoroughly and much earlier than they were. In each instance, allegations were wrongly swept under the rug at the time allegations were made.

Back
Top Bottom