• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sexist cab service opens in New York

So being female is akin to a disability now?
Wheelchairs require special lifts so it makes sense for specialized transport. No such requirement exists for females. And there is no warrant why female cabbies should be allowed to refuse male riders just because of their gender either.

They have a business model which caters to the needs of a specialized client base.

You're not actually being oppressed here.

So if I have a business in the deep south that does remodeling for customers, and my white customers don't want a black person entering their home, because they think they are dangerous or worried that he will bring back his buddies to rob the place in the future, or whatever, is it perfectly fine for me to not hire black employees for that reason? I'm just catering to a specialized customer base, after all. And it's also perfectly fine for me to advertise such: no black people will ever enter your home if you use us?

The double standards being shown in this thread from supposed progressives is not very surprising, unfortunately.

Nonsense. This company discriminates against both male drivers and male customers.
The business is about being driven from A to B, not about looking at the driver. Therefore the gender of the driver should not matter and this discriminatory business should be shut down!
You are mistaken. The business is about being ferried from point A to point B in a comfortable manner. If you can excuse sexism in brothels, the same rationale is applicable to taxis: the comfort and preference of the customer.

Yep, just like a remodeling company in the South promising that no black people will enter any of the homes of the customers to do the remodeling work - for comfort, of course. Please tell me you'd have no problem with that to save your credibility.

- - - Updated - - -

And in this case there is an increased safety factor from it.

One could make that case about hiring black people as well or having blacks serving customers, since blacks commit crimes at higher rates than the rest of the population...

bz-panel-05-02-14-1.jpg

??

How do they equate those noses to hooters?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/hooter

They have a business model which caters to the needs of a specialized client base.

You're not actually being oppressed here.

So if I have a business in the deep south that does remodeling for customers, and my white customers don't want a black person entering their home, because they think they are dangerous or worried that he will bring back his buddies to rob the place in the future, or whatever, is it perfectly fine for me to not hire black employees for that reason? I'm just catering to a specialized customer base, after all. And it's also perfectly fine for me to advertise such: no black people will ever enter your home if you use us?

The double standards being shown in this thread from supposed progressives is not very surprising, unfortunately.

There is no double-standard... Just your lack of actual understanding

You are mistaken. The business is about being ferried from point A to point B in a comfortable manner. If you can excuse sexism in brothels, the same rationale is applicable to taxis: the comfort and preference of the customer.

Yep, just like a remodeling company in the South promising that no black people will enter any of the homes of the customers to do the remodeling work - for comfort, of course. Please tell me you'd have no problem with that to save your credibility.

- - - Updated - - -

One could make that case about hiring black people as well or having blacks serving customers, since blacks commit crimes at higher rates than the rest of the population...

I am unaware of any negative consequences that white people experience as a result of hiring black people to do work for them, even inside their homes. Well, there was that unfortunate "Late Unpleasantness" prior to which in certain parts of the U.S., having black people remodel, cook, clean, tend your children, serve as wet nurses, chop your cotton, bale your hay, etc. was How Things Are Done, to great social accolades and economic benefit (for the white people, anyway). Nowadays, it is true that white people must pay black people to do those sorts of jobs now but it's still quite socially acceptable.

It's also legal to use whatever criteria you wish to use when you select contractors and subcontractors to work on your home. I am pretty certain that some people do use race as a criteria but only fools actually make it obvious. Wise people rely heavily upon recommendations of others who have had similar work performed and the wisest will hire the best contractors and workers they can afford, based upon quality of work, reliability and price, insurance, bonds, etc. regardless of race. But surely, word of mouth already helps those who wish to hire only from or avoid certain elements to fulfill that wish, without the need for an app. You might ask your neighbor or your cousin or your brother in law who remodeled the kitchen and could you get their names but you are not going to ask your cousin for the name of the cabby who got the family to the airport in record time for that trip to Las Vegas.

The app allows people who feel the need or who, through religious or cultural customs and laws, need to avoid being alone with members of the opposite gender. This is not because these religions view males as being inferior to women, but rather that women are inferior and so weak that they cannot be alone, unchaperoned, with a male who is not a relative, for fear of being corrupted or compromised. Such customs are often enforced through some pretty harsh measures. Sure, it's illegal in the U.S. to carry out an honor killing of the daughter who dared to get into a taxi driven by a strange man and probably those who did such a thing would be tried and found guilty and sent to prison. Doesn't help the dead daughter very much, though. Of course, few consequences in the U.S. would be so dire but they exist and they can be really damaging. What does help is having a way to have a safe ride from a service which will keep her in the good graces of her family and her culture.

There is no double-standard... Just your lack of actual understanding

Then how about explaining (1) whether you have a problem with my scenario and, if so, (2) how it materially differs in principle from this cab service.

- - - Updated - - -

I am unaware of any negative consequences that white people experience as a result of hiring black people to do work for them, even inside their homes. Well, there was that unfortunate "Late Unpleasantness" prior to which in certain parts of the U.S., having black people remodel, cook, clean, tend your children, serve as wet nurses, chop your cotton, bale your hay, etc. was How Things Are Done, to great social accolades and economic benefit (for the white people, anyway). Nowadays, it is true that white people must pay black people to do those sorts of jobs now but it's still quite socially acceptable.

It's also legal to use whatever criteria you wish to use when you select contractors and subcontractors to work on your home. I am pretty certain that some people do use race as a criteria but only fools actually make it obvious. Wise people rely heavily upon recommendations of others who have had similar work performed and the wisest will hire the best contractors and workers they can afford, based upon quality of work, reliability and price, insurance, bonds, etc. regardless of race. But surely, word of mouth already helps those who wish to hire only from or avoid certain elements to fulfill that wish, without the need for an app. You might ask your neighbor or your cousin or your brother in law who remodeled the kitchen and could you get their names but you are not going to ask your cousin for the name of the cabby who got the family to the airport in record time for that trip to Las Vegas.

The app allows people who feel the need or who, through religious or cultural customs and laws, need to avoid being alone with members of the opposite gender. This is not because these religions view males as being inferior to women, but rather that women are inferior and so weak that they cannot be alone, unchaperoned, with a male who is not a relative, for fear of being corrupted or compromised. Such customs are often enforced through some pretty harsh measures. Sure, it's illegal in the U.S. to carry out an honor killing of the daughter who dared to get into a taxi driven by a strange man and probably those who did such a thing would be tried and found guilty and sent to prison. Doesn't help the dead daughter very much, though. Of course, few consequences in the U.S. would be so dire but they exist and they can be really damaging. What does help is having a way to have a safe ride from a service which will keep her in the good graces of her family and her culture.

We should not cater to bigotry or intolerance. If a KKK member threatened to beat his daughter if she were ever alone with a black man, we don't therefore cater to his threats and vileness by allowing a white driver only cab services so that his daughter can use a cab service that promises only white individuals will be driving to prevent him from acting out on his violent treats. If we don't cater to that and she does take a cab home driven by a black driver, she can at least tell her father she had no choice in the color of the driver's skin. Maybe then, if he has even an ounce of empathy and love for his daughter, he won't snap and beat her (or kill her in the scenario you are proposing).

- - - Updated - - -

We should not cater to bigotry or intolerance. If a KKK member threatened to beat his daughter if she were ever alone with a black man, we don't therefore cater to his threats and vileness by allowing a white driver only cab services so that his daughter can use a cab service that promises only white individuals will be driving to prevent him from acting out on his violent treats. If we don't cater to that and she does take a cab home driven by a black driver, she can at least tell her father she had no choice in the color of the driver's skin. Maybe then, if he has even an ounce of empathy and love for his daughter, he won't snap and beat her (or kill her in the scenario you are proposing).

Easy for you to say: you aren't the daughter. If he had an ounce of empathy in him, he wouldn't belong to the KKK.

Of course women and girls the world over often exhibit extreme courage by defying societal expectations. The Afghani girls who continued their education despite threats of being burned by acid--and indeed, after suffering such burns, leap to mind. Not to suggest that boys and men don't also risk a great deal by defying societal expectations.

"We" are not catering to bigotry by allowing people to utilize apps which help them locate services that they can use without fear, be it fear of being ostracized, of physical harm, of emotional harm, or of being ripped off. We would not expect a black person or a Jew to get into a cab driven by someone with swastikas or the letters KKK tattooed prominently on their forearms or with a white hood laying next to the driver. We do not forbid white bankers from utilizing a car service of their choice, even if it is based in the very whitest part of town. We do not insist that white people frequent barber shops or beauty salons which specialize in African American hair or purchase their groceries at the Asian market.

I've never run into that usage before. Is it a British thing?

Apparently not; it is definition 2 in the British dictionary I linked; if you hit the American English link on that page, it becomes definition 1 (with factory siren relegated to 3rd, and flagged as 'British').

It must be regional, then.

The problem isn't the cab company. The problem is religious dictum that limits the freedom of women. But instead being upset about that, outrage flares over a cab company trying to offer a service to the women.

Now THAT is sexism.

The problem isn't the cab company. The problem is religious dictum that limits the freedom of women. But instead being upset about that, outrage flares over a cab company trying to offer a service to the women.

Now THAT is sexism.
That's right, how come nobody gets outraged about oppressive religious customs?

I have a problem with it because there are no potential severe negative repercussions on those customers (unlike the targeted demographic in the cabs).

Now THAT is sexism.
That's right, how come nobody gets outraged about oppressive religious customs?

Some of us do!

I was in a women's rest room once. Do you know there are no urinals in those things. How sexist!

Back
Top Bottom