• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

I may have to try that, although I imagine I'll opt out of the fish sauce.

One of my Italian-American friends insists that the best marinara is just tomatoes and salt, so I'd rather keep the ingredients list as small as possible anyway.

It is still great without the fish sauce. Baking it for 5 hours (only stirring a couple times) creates a caramelization that is lovely. It reduces by half, so no need for tomato paste. The fish sauce does add an amazing note to it though. Its adding part of the salt, but also a savory rich umami flavor. It won't taste fishy. Also, its added right at the end, so you can try it with and without.

I did a half recipe (2 - 28 ounce cans of tomatoes) in it came out great. Don't forget to have the lid askew and use a ceramic coated dutch oven if you have it.

Why canned tomatoes, though? If you're going to take the trouble to cook tomato sauce for hours, why not start from scratch?

It is still great without the fish sauce. Baking it for 5 hours (only stirring a couple times) creates a caramelization that is lovely. It reduces by half, so no need for tomato paste. The fish sauce does add an amazing note to it though. Its adding part of the salt, but also a savory rich umami flavor. It won't taste fishy. Also, its added right at the end, so you can try it with and without.

I did a half recipe (2 - 28 ounce cans of tomatoes) in it came out great. Don't forget to have the lid askew and use a ceramic coated dutch oven if you have it.

Why canned tomatoes, though? If you're going to take the trouble to cook tomato sauce for hours, why not start from scratch?

I tend to agree actually! Overripe ones would be good. Or better still - a mixture of different types and textures.

Not exactly a recipe but I decided to make my own sourdough starter using whole wheat flour.

It's been six days and so far all is well. It smelled like royal crap for the first few days as expected but then just started fermenting and bubbling like it's supposed to. It's smelling pretty good right now - just fed it - and it should make some good whole wheat sourdough pancakes this weekend. Also have some sourdough Kalamata olive bread on the schedule as well.

Looking ahead to some pretty good eating!

Tonights dinner is chicken and corn soup. When made as follows, it makes 10 serves, each consisting of less than 400kj!

143g spring onions (3 large ones) - roughly chopped into 1cm pieces.
88g green capsicum - roughly chopped into 1cm pieces
54g red capsicum - roughly chopped into 1cm pieces
149g fresh mushrooms - sliced
26g fresh red chili - finely chopped
31g FRESH ginger - finely chopped
1 can of corn kernels
1 can of creamed corn.
200g chopped bbq chicken.
1.5L water.

Chop it all up, chuck it all into a large pan and heat for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Tonights dinner is chicken and corn soup. When made as follows, it makes 10 serves, each consisting of less than 400kj!

1 can of corn kernels
1 can of creamed corn.
1.5L water.

Chop it all up, chuck it all into a large pan and heat for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

As a Midwesterner, if I want corn, I almost exclusively eat it off the cob. Just heat it, and add butter & salt. Just my opinion, but the best way to enjoy any ingredient is to do as little to it as possible. :D

Although tamales are easily my second favorite way to enjoy corn. So much for doing as little as possible, I guess.

If you like corn kernels as an ingredient, have you messed around with recipes from the American southwest? I assume you already have.

1 can of corn kernels
1 can of creamed corn.
1.5L water.

Enjoy!

As a Midwesterner, if I want corn, I almost exclusively eat it off the cob. Just heat it, and add butter & salt. Just my opinion, but the best way to enjoy any ingredient is to do as little to it as possible. :D

Although tamales are easily my second favorite way to enjoy corn. So much for doing as little as possible, I guess.

If you like corn kernels as an ingredient, have you messed around with recipes from the American southwest? I assume you already have.

Hi Underseer,

I, too, prefer my corn on the cob with lashing of butter - however, our current efforts into weight loss prohibit such consumption.

The other way we eat corn is to have some canned kernels on a salad.

I haven't touched many southern recipes. Bilby is the chilli maker of the house, and I don't think that corn is in the recipe.

Interestingly, corn makes up most of the kilojoule content in the recipe above. I found it in my 'Quick, Light and Delicious' recipe cards and tweaked it to suit us.

Hi Underseer,

I, too, prefer my corn on the cob with lashing of butter - however, our current efforts into weight loss prohibit such consumption.

I haven't touched many southern recipes. Bilby is the chilli maker of the house, and I don't think that corn is in the recipe.

Interestingly, corn makes up most of the kilojoule content in the recipe above. I found it in my 'Quick, Light and Delicious' recipe cards and tweaked it to suit us.

Did Bilby post his chili recipe? If he hasn't, would he?

Like Underseer, I like corn off the cob, tamales (any chicken tamales recipes?) and in a salad...

Hi Underseer,

Agreed, it is best fresh off the cob. If you aren't eating it that way though, frozen is better than canned. You don't even really have to buy it frozen in the package. Boil up a few cobs, cut the kernels from the cob, and freeze the kernels, then you can use just like you would canned corn, but it will generally be much tastier.

Hi Underseer,

Southwest. Not Southern. Southern is very different.

Hi Underseer,

Agreed, it is best fresh off the cob. If you aren't eating it that way though, frozen is better than canned. You don't even really have to buy it frozen in the package. Boil up a few cobs, cut the kernels from the cob, and freeze the kernels, then you can use just like you would canned corn, but it will generally be much tastier.

What I like about the canned is that one can of kernels and one can of creamed corn make the best consistency! But I agree, if I have the time to prepare the fresh stuff, I should.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Underseer,

Southwest. Not Southern. Southern is very different.

OOPS! Sorry - I haven't tried Southwest cuisine either. :p

New Mexico stuff seems to involve lots of corn kernels and fresh Chile peppers, for example.

And I used my sourdough starter to make some great Kalamata Olive bread this weekend. Worked super. My first successful wild yeast capture.

I've heard that you can't live on porridge. But if you take the same grains and ferment them such as wheat flour for bread, the nutrients are freed and you have a food you can live on indefinitely. It's tasty enough anyway.

New Mexico stuff seems to involve lots of corn kernels and fresh Chile peppers, for example.

AAhhh - okay then. Well, if you have a recipe for me to try - please share it. Bearing in mind that I am also trying to lose a few more kilograms (like about 15 of them)

- - - Updated - - -

And I used my sourdough starter to make some great Kalamata Olive bread this weekend. Worked super. My first successful wild yeast capture.

I've heard that you can't live on porridge. But if you take the same grains and ferment them such as wheat flour for bread, the nutrients are freed and you have a food you can live on indefinitely. It's tasty enough anyway.

Well done!

AAhhh - okay then. Well, if you have a recipe for me to try - please share it. Bearing in mind that I am also trying to lose a few more kilograms (like about 15 of them)

- - - Updated - - -

Well done!

I don't have any recipes like that, because I don't personally like corn that way. I'll eat stuff like that in a restaurant once in a while, but not make it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well done!

I don't have any recipes like that, because I don't personally like corn that way. I'll eat stuff like that in a restaurant once in a while, but not make it.

Okay - well if you have something nice in a restaurant, please let me know and I will google it and try and cook it!

Yakisoba

• Soba noodles (spaghetti can be substituted)
  • Meat (thin sukiyaki-cut beef, finger-sized chicken, shrimp, etc)
  • Cabbage sliced a little thicker than cole slaw
  • Shredded carrot
  • Sliced white or green onion or both
  • Sliced shiitake mushrooms (optional)
  • Tonkatsu sauce (e.g. Bulldog brand)
  • Bonito katsuobushi (garnish)
  • Beni shoga (red pickled ginger, garnish)
  • Aonori (garnish, dried parsley can be substituted)
  • Mayonnaise (optional garnish)

In America, this doesn't show up very often in Japanese restaurants because it is thought of as low brow street food, but increasingly you can find instant yakisoba in the ethnic section of your local grocery store.

The absolute best way to cook this dish is on a flat top griddle. If you have one of those table griddles for making pancakes, those work great. Whatever you use for making pancakes also works great (such as a cast iron skillet). A wok will also work in a pinch, just make sure you keep it really hot.

This is a pretty cabbage-heavy dish. Make sure the pile of sliced cabbage is at least as big as the pile of noodles. Don't worry, they will cook down and shrink, so they won't take over the dish or anything. You don't need very much meat; the meat is just for flavor.

You can buy yakisoba sauce or okonomiyaki sauce, but tonkatsu sauce is more widely available and is more versatile. Experiment with it. It tastes good on just about any meat, especially meat that has been cooked outdoors. Bulldog brand tonkatsu sauce can be found in most regular American grocery stores in the ethnic isle. In a pinch, you can get it online:

http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Dog-Vegetable-Fruit-Tonkatsu-Sauce/dp/B0002IZD1G

Bonito is basically shaved tuna bacon and can be used as a garnish, for making broth, or just an interesting accent to a sauce. It has a very strong flavor, so use sparingly.

http://www.amazon.com/Nishimoto-Dried-Shaved-Bonito-Flakes/dp/B0006B4IHE/

Beni shoga can also be used in tiny quantities as a side for just about any Japanese meal. It is different from the pink pickled ginger you get at the sushi place. You can substitute the other kind of pickled ginger in a pinch.

http://www.amazon.com/Kizami-Shoga-Pickled-Ginger-12oz/dp/B00ID3EPTI/

Aonori is just dried nori that has no seasoning added to it. It's like sea parsley and regular parsley can be substituted. Worth experimenting with if you like seafood.

http://www.amazon.com/Otafuku-Aonori-Flakes-Seaweed-0-17oz/dp/B004HW2M9Y/

When griddling the dish, your goal is to develop a bit of a brown crunchy crust on the noodles. If you use dried noodles, undercook the noodles so that they are drier, as this makes it easier to get the crunchy bits on the noodles. If you really want to get exotic, you can steam the noodles instead of boiling them to control the moisture content of the noodles. My mother used to buy fresh Soba noodles and would bake them in the oven for a short time at low temperature to drive out some of the moisture before adding it to the other ingredients on the griddle.

Cooking is pretty straightforward if you have ever stir fried anything.

Brown the meat, add onions, cook the onions a bit then add the other veggies. Add the noodles then cook at high heat stirring infrequently. You want to develop a bit of a brown crunchy bcrust on some of the noodles. Add the sauce near the end and stir thoroughly. Add garnishes after plating.

Most people don't cook with buckwheat but the groats can be used just like barley.

1 cup buckwheat groats
1 pound carrots diced
1/2 pound celery diced
1 can black beans
3 quarts water
2 tsp salt

Cook in a large pot until vegetables are tender. Enjoy with your favorite bread.

Those quantities are pretty much from memory. It's a great hearty soup for staying warm in the Winter, is a great leftover, and takes just about no time to prepare.

Buckwheat is not a grain btw, and can usually be purchased at stores that sell bulk food like co-ops and places like Whole Food. Sometimes it's found roasted but I use the raw seed.

Buckwheat cake is a tradition in my family that basically combines ham, potatoes and buckwheat groats, baked into a very satisfying and filling loaf.

Maple Chicken Wings

3 to 4 pounds of chicken wings
1/3 cup teryaki sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 to 2 cups maple syrup.

Preheat oven to 350.

Divide the wings into drumsticks, forearms and trash the tips.

Place in a large disposable baking pan (we always place that pan on a sturdy cooking sheet). Add half the maple syrup and all of the other ingredients, toss to coat.

Bake for approx 1 to 1 1/2 hours, tossing every 20 minutes. The liquid should gradually evaporate. When most of it is gone, increase the oven temp to 425, pour the remaining syrup over the wings and toss to evenly coat them. Cook an additional 10 minutes.

It's often quite salty, so I serve with a fruit salad, or just a whole bunch of cut up fruit.

Thanksgiving is coming up again. I'm shamelessly bumping this thread to have access to those recipes I posted at the start of this thread, and hey, it doesn't hurt to throw around Thanksgiving recipe ideas.

Back
Top Bottom