• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

Tonight we had pork fillet - one of our favourite proteins.

I sprinkle and rub salt and pepper on the outside and then seared it in a pan as hot as I can get it, then put it in a 160C oven for 20 - 30 minutes. It comes out delectable! However, we only have about a 100g piece each.

Served with a fresh garden salad - YUMMY!

You've been watching too many wanky TV chefs. Pork fillet isn't a 'protein', it's a 'meat'.

Acetylcholinesterase is a protein. Keratin is a protein. Meat is muscle tissue from animals; it contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and a slew of other components in small quantities, (porphyrins, glyco-proteins, phospho-lpids, nucleic acids, all kinds of stuff).

Gordon fucking Ramsay is not a good person from whom to learn vocabulary.

It's not just Gordon Ramsay who does that. Most food people do that.

They have to do it because Catholics insist that certain kinds of meat aren't really meat for stupid religious reasons. For example, fish isn't meat, because if fish were meat, they wouldn't be able to eat it on Fridays. Therefore, fish isn't meat even though it is clearly muscle tissue from an animal. So chefs unfortunately need a substitute word for meat to account for what amounts to cultural stupidity and religious fairy tales. For whatever reason, the word they selected was "protein."

You've been watching too many wanky TV chefs. Pork fillet isn't a 'protein', it's a 'meat'.

Acetylcholinesterase is a protein. Keratin is a protein. Meat is muscle tissue from animals; it contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and a slew of other components in small quantities, (porphyrins, glyco-proteins, phospho-lpids, nucleic acids, all kinds of stuff).

Gordon fucking Ramsay is not a good person from whom to learn vocabulary.

They have to do it because Catholics insist that certain kinds of meat aren't really meat for stupid religious reasons. For example, fish isn't meat, because if fish were meat, they wouldn't be able to eat it on Fridays. Therefore, fish isn't meat even though it is clearly muscle tissue from an animal. So chefs unfortunately need a substitute word for meat to account for what amounts to cultural stupidity and religious fairy tales. For whatever reason, the word they selected was "protein."

Until very recently, 'meat' was synonymous with 'food'.

Check out the supply records for the English Civil Wars of 1642-49; they specify 'meat for one horse for six nights' and similar. They were feeding the horse hay, but it was called 'meat', because the word had no connotations of 'animal flesh' until quite recently. It means 'food'.

Well, one big reason that meat is considered to be an important part of one's diet is because it is a major source of protein. Protein can be gotten from non-animal sources but to get a full compliment of amino acids, one must balance the vegetable sources of protein.

FWIW, my uncle used to refer to salad (i.e. anything which was comprised mostly of lettuces) as roughage.

Check out the supply records for the English Civil Wars of 1642-49; they specify 'meat for one horse for six nights' and similar. They were feeding the horse hay, but it was called 'meat', because the word had no connotations of 'animal flesh' until quite recently. It means 'food'.

Wouldn't that just be one more reason to avoid use of the word "meat," then?

Not at all; the meaning of the word has changed, and is now universally understood to mean what pretentious TV chefs mean when they abuse the word 'protein'. Language changes according to how it is used; it is an entirely democratic process, in which desirable changes are retained, and unpopular ones are not.

I reserve the right to campaign tirelessly against changes that I consider to be vile, just as I have the right to campaign against politicians whose ideas I dislike.

Not at all; the meaning of the word has changed, and is now universally understood to mean what pretentious TV chefs mean when they abuse the word 'protein'. Language changes according to how it is used; it is an entirely democratic process, in which desirable changes are retained, and unpopular ones are not.

I reserve the right to campaign tirelessly against changes that I consider to be vile, just as I have the right to campaign against politicians whose ideas I dislike.

But if more people are using the word protein that way, then shouldn't you just accept that as the new meaning of the word? ;)

Personally, I would rather the word "meat" be used regardless of what kind of animal the muscle tissue comes from. Didn't Catholics stop doing the "meatless Friday" thing anyway? Is there any reason we can't just go back to calling meat meat?

Anyways... To change the topic - which is recipes!

Below is my Chicken recipe. We enjoy it and it is low in kilojoules and fat!

We count the sauce as 6 serves as at least half of it gets left behind in the baking dish, but we make it for 1 chicken breast which gives us both our dinner.

For the sauce you need:
50g apricot conserve (jam)
35g sweet chilli sauce
15g crushed ginger from a jar
15g crushed chilli from a jar
1g hot english mustard
13g fresh green chilli - I don't use the seeds.

Mix it all up. Dice up a chicken breast and add it to the sauce.

Line a baking dish with alfoil, this makes clean up a breeze.

Pour the chicken and sauce into the dish and spread out.

Bake in a moderate oven (about 150\(o\)C) until cooked.

Serve with salad, or with rice. If serving with rice, please use the rest of the sauce.

I serving of the sauce is about 166Kj. When added to 143g of chicken breast (a large serve for us), your total dinner, excluding your green salad, is 793Kj!

Tasty! Low fat! Low Kilojoule! Easy to prepare!

And this is what it looks like!
12794380_10207266215592281_8171426706714876049_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, but ginger... from a jar instead of fresh? BLASPHEMY! ;)

When I make my Chicken and Corn soup, I use fresh. However, for a fast evening dinner, it's just as good. Also, I don't plan my whole week's meals, and ginger is something I prefer to buy knowing for certain that I am going to use it. As I am not sure when I will be doing chicken, it doesn't make sense to keep fresh all the time.

Looks good, but ginger... from a jar instead of fresh? BLASPHEMY! ;)

When I make my Chicken and Corn soup, I use fresh. However, for a fast evening dinner, it's just as good. Also, I don't plan my whole week's meals, and ginger is something I prefer to buy knowing for certain that I am going to use it. As I am not sure when I will be doing chicken, it doesn't make sense to keep fresh all the time.

That was kind of a cultural comment. As I'm a Japanese-American (well, half Japanese), I usually have fresh ginger just lying around in the 'fridge somewhere.

That was kind of a cultural comment. As I'm a Japanese-American (well, half Japanese), I usually have fresh ginger just lying around in the 'fridge somewhere.

I should keep it in the fridge - along with a lot of other ingredients. Unfortunately, they don't last as well as they should. :(

The humidity does for fresh ginger very quickly here. Which is, perhaps, ironic, because it grows like wildfire in this climate - a sizeable fraction of the world's supply is grown in the area just north of here.

I should keep it in the fridge - along with a lot of other ingredients. Unfortunately, they don't last as well as they should. :(

Fresh ginger freezes very well, and you can grate it while still frozen (depending on the grater).

For an interim between leaving it in the vegetable drawer and freezing, you can soak it in rice wine.

Fresh ginger freezes very well, and you can grate it while still frozen (depending on the grater).

For an interim between leaving it in the vegetable drawer and freezing, you can soak it in rice wine.

Oops - I forgot to get it this week. :(

Anyway, we used up the last soup on Sunday night - so it's soup making again on Sunday. I will probably get some then!

hmmm I wonder if ginger would go into my chorizo pasta recipe?

Anyway, we used up the last soup on Sunday night - so it's soup making again on Sunday. I will probably get some then!

Not sure, but definitely add fresh ginger to any curry you make.

It's also a key ingredient in homemade mabotofu. Even if you use one of those pre-made sauces (ick), definitely add a little fresh ginger.

Not my recipe, but just tried this tomato sauce recipe from Serious Eats, and its amazing.

The keys are 1) hand crushing quality canned whole tomatoes, low roast in the oven for 5 hours, and finishing with fish sauce.

I may have to try that, although I imagine I'll opt out of the fish sauce.

One of my Italian-American friends insists that the best marinara is just tomatoes and salt, so I'd rather keep the ingredients list as small as possible anyway.

Not my recipe, but just tried this tomato sauce recipe from Serious Eats, and its amazing.

The keys are 1) hand crushing quality canned whole tomatoes, low roast in the oven for 5 hours, and finishing with fish sauce.

One of my Italian-American friends insists that the best marinara is just tomatoes and salt, so I'd rather keep the ingredients list as small as possible anyway.

It is still great without the fish sauce. Baking it for 5 hours (only stirring a couple times) creates a caramelization that is lovely. It reduces by half, so no need for tomato paste. The fish sauce does add an amazing note to it though. Its adding part of the salt, but also a savory rich umami flavor. It won't taste fishy. Also, its added right at the end, so you can try it with and without.

I did a half recipe (2 - 28 ounce cans of tomatoes) in it came out great. Don't forget to have the lid askew and use a ceramic coated dutch oven if you have it.

Not sure, but definitely add fresh ginger to any curry you make.

It's also a key ingredient in homemade mabotofu. Even if you use one of those pre-made sauces (ick), definitely add a little fresh ginger.

I don't use pre-made sauces for anything! Except, I do use this:

trident-sweet-chilli-sauce-730ml.jpg

I generally try and find a low fat/low kilojoule version of a recipe and tweek it.

I was using orange juice for a while - till I discovered how much sugar is in it. Now, I use fresh lemon or lime juice and only a smidgen.

- - - Updated - - -

It does look good! Spaghetti sauce is not my domain in this household though! :p

Back
Top Bottom