• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
indictment and prosecution of Trump was just recommended to the DOJ by this committee.
What? I can't find that anywhere. They just voted to subpoena him.

I watched the hearings. The last five minutes of these hearings is where this all went down.

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Mr. Chairman, our committee now has sufficient information to answer many of the critical questions posed by Congress at the outset. We have sufficient information to consider criminal referrals for multiple individuals and to recommend a range of legislative proposals to guard against another January 6th, but a key task remains.

We must seek the testimony under oath of January 6th's central player. More than 30 witnesses in our investigation have invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, and several of those did so specifically in response to questions about their dealings with Donald Trump directly.
So, no request to DOJ for Trump indictment? I mean, the requests to DOJ it sent out before were for not complying with a congressional subpoena. Trump hasn’t done that yet. And if he promptly challenges it in court, he can wait out the clock.

He wishes... Hitler knew HOW to steal an election.
How did he do that?

He got into power by his party, the Nazi Party, getting enough seats in the Reichstag and then forming a coalition with another party, the conservative DNVP (German National People's Party). After the Reichstag fire, he demanded -- and got -- lots of emergency powers. Outlawing the Communist Party gave the Nazi Party an outright majority, and the Nazi Party soon outlawed all the other parties, including the DNVP.

indictment and prosecution of Trump was just recommended to the DOJ by this committee.

I watched the hearings. The last five minutes of these hearings is where this all went down.

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Mr. Chairman, our committee now has sufficient information to answer many of the critical questions posed by Congress at the outset. We have sufficient information to consider criminal referrals for multiple individuals and to recommend a range of legislative proposals to guard against another January 6th, but a key task remains.

We must seek the testimony under oath of January 6th's central player. More than 30 witnesses in our investigation have invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, and several of those did so specifically in response to questions about their dealings with Donald Trump directly.
So, no request to DOJ for Trump indictment? I mean, the requests to DOJ it sent out before were for not complying with a congressional subpoena. Trump hasn’t done that yet. And if he promptly challenges it in court, he can wait out the clock.As Cheney said

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

So, no request to DOJ for Trump indictment? I mean, the requests to DOJ it sent out before were for not complying with a congressional subpoena. Trump hasn’t done that yet. And if he promptly challenges it in court, he can wait out the clock.

Yes. As Cheney said, the committee has sufficient information to consider criminal referals. And as an aside, in a criminal case, one can invoke 5th amendments rights. But not in a civil case. A precedent set in concrete by Scalia and the Supreme Court.

Trump is being sue in civil court over his January 6 actions by several police injured in the riot.

The hearings demonstrated enough evidence to at least stick Trump and these others for conspiracy to commit illegal acts. And the DOJ is already investigating all of this already. Read the transcript. It has lots of damning evidence.

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

So, no request to DOJ for Trump indictment? I mean, the requests to DOJ it sent out before were for not complying with a congressional subpoena. Trump hasn’t done that yet. And if he promptly challenges it in court, he can wait out the clock.As Cheney said

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

Yes. As Cheney said, the committee has sufficient information to consider criminal referals. And as an aside, in a criminal case, one can invoke 5th amendments rights. But not in a civil case. A precedent set in concrete by Scalia and the Supreme Court.

Trump is being sue in civil court over his January 6 actions by several police injured in the riot.

The hearings demonstrated enough evidence to at least stick Trump and these others for conspiracy to commit illegal acts. And the DOJ is already investigating all of this already. Read the transcript. It has lots of damning evidence.
There's nothing linking Trump to any grand conspiracy. There might have been some bad actors who took advantage, but if you're hopping for some criminal prosecution of Trump you're gonna be as disappointed as you've been for the last six years.

There's nothing linking Trump to any grand conspiracy. There might have been some bad actors who took advantage, but if you're hopping for some criminal prosecution of Trump you're gonna be as disappointed as you've been for the last six years.
Didn't actually watch the hearings, did you.

Oh, how disappointed you’re gonna be.

Well... how can you watch a hearing? Hey man... did you hear that thing you saw? ;)

They have audio of him talking to the Secretary of State of Georgia, telling him to 'find some votes'. This is really a pretty simple watermark to determine if someone is so rabidly partisan that they are hopelessly irrational. If that phone call doesn't bother someone... they are rabidly partisan and can't be rationalized with.

They have audio of him talking to the Secretary of State of Georgia, telling him to 'find some votes'. This is really a pretty simple watermark to determine if someone is so rabidly partisan that they are hopelessly irrational. If that phone call doesn't bother someone... they are rabidly partisan and can't be rationalized with.
Well, I was focusing on the January 6 stuff. It may very well happen that somewhere, at sometime, he gets charged with something. But Teflon Don seems to brush everything off.

Well, I was focusing on the January 6 stuff.
You mean the day Trump told everyone to go to DC... and then had the final speech at a rally designed to rile up a crowd into a violent frenzy? You were too focused on that? The day Trump mentioned in a Tweet on 12/18 after his attempts destroy the Electoral College were officially in vain? You know, when angry mob became one of the only remaining strategies?
It may very well happen that somewhere, at sometime, he gets charged with something. But Teflon Don seems to brush everything off.
Oh, your typical post of bare concession. Trump is on "tape" trying to get the SoS of GA to change the election results (of which after that he can use that to justify questioning the other states and create a Constitutional Crisis by having PA, WI, MI, and AZ electoral votes cast away). He is guilty as all fuck on conspiracy to commit Election Fraud in Georgia. He is guilty of inciting an insurrection.

That you defend him implies you are quite fine with authoritarianism... as long as it is your type... the one with the killing and stealing of elections.

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

I suggest googling NPR January 6 Committee, hearing 9 and carefully watching the whole thing carefully with attention. There were many ways Trump and his goons were trying to steal an election and the committee detailed them all. Most of the witnesses that gave damning testimony were Republicans. Fake electors, fomenting an insurrection, suborning various officials such as the Georgia secretary of state, appoint a rubber stamp yes man as attorney general to do his bidding and more. It is all there. Those of us who watched all 9 hearings know full well Trump is guilty of insurrection. And not the only one.

Go do your due diligence, look at the hearings, see the stark evidence.

The moment I heard Donald Trump ask Russia to investigate his political opponent, I felt he committed treason. Probably not by actual standards of the law—which brings me to:

I seriously doubt that Trump will be charged with treason or insurrection for his actions on and leading up to January 6, even if the Dems hold the House and expand the Senate, I wish that were not so, seven as I shudder to consider set the effects on this nation if they fail to charge him or worse, fail to convict him. I doubt that he gets more than a minor sentence if he is convicted of charges related to his theft of government documents. Perhaps more if it is proven he gave or sold such documents or their contents to any foreign agent or power, directly or via proxy.

Typing those words makes me feel ill. But that’s what I think, even though I believe he is guilty of insurrection and possibly treason and other high crimes and misdemeanors. He should never be allowed to run for any office. I definitely see issues with regards to imprisoning gim, although he should not be treated any differently than any other criminal. At this point, I would like to remind everyone of Reality Winner abd to state categorically that what Trump did is infinitely worse on every level. What I think should happen is that he be confined to a small secure property where he is not allowed to own any computer or smart phone or television and that his diet is supervised by trained nutritionists who will not allow any junk food or red meat. No visitors except family ( provided they are not in prison or under indictment) who may not bring with them any type of computer or smart phone or means by which he can transmit or receive any message. All mail will be screened. Any phone call will be monitored and phone privileges will be terminated if he violates any rule about transmitting messages or information via phone. He may see his attorney as long as he is current on maintaining their retainer. If he cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed from the pool of public defender fees serving whatever jurisdiction he is confined to.

Wednesday, Trump has been ordered to appear and testify under oath in the case of the rape and defamation of Jean Carroll. If Trump fails to appear, he can be arrested and dragged into court. Part of the problem for Trump is this is a civil case.. taking the fifth can be taken as adverse testimony. If he lies he did not rape her, he will probably be forced to give a DNA sample. Her now famous blue dress can be a problem. If he lies, has a DNA sample taken that matches the dried semen on her dress, he not only loses the case of defamation, but can be sent to prison for perjury.

Wednesday is going to be most interesting to watch.

Wednesday, Trump has been ordered to appear and testify under oath in the case of the rape and defamation of Jean Carroll. If Trump fails to appear, he can be arrested and dragged into court. Part of the problem for Trump is this is a civil case.. taking the fifth can be taken as adverse testimony. If he lies he did not rape her, he will probably be forced to give a DNA sample. Her now famous blue dress can be a problem. If he lies, has a DNA sample taken that matches the dried semen on her dress, he not only loses the case of defamation, but can be sent to prison for perjury.

Wednesday is going to be most interesting to watch.
Would it were that simple. If he is forced to provide a sample, and indeed, it matches the semen on the dress, he will claim the encounter was consensual. Although she told a friend contemporaneously about the assault, he merely has to trot out photos of his lovely wives and known lovers and say: why would I need to rape anyone? He got Ivana to recant her claim of rape, and she’s dead so…

I wish that were not the state of things but…

So far as I know, Trump has repeatedly denied ever meeting Jean Carroll. He has never claimed to have had consensuel sex with her in a department store. If so, that ain't gonna fly.

It is clearly not beyond Trump to offer up defenses that are mutually contradictory. For example, how he declassified documents that were planted by the FBI that were also his.

Well, yes, there is that. Trump might get away with contradictory lies on Truth Antisocial, but usually it is a bad idea to try this with a judge, jury, and a competent
Complaintant's lawyer.

Haberman Book: Trump Confused Staffers of Color for Waiters – Rolling Stone
Trump Saw Staffers of Color at White House, Assumed They Were Waiters, Book Says

When Democratic leaders brought a racially diverse group of staffers to a meeting, the former president assumed they were there to serve food
According to this new book, Confidence Man by Maggie Haberman: 9780593297346 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books - "THE MAKING OF DONALD TRUMP AND THE BREAKING OF AMERICA"

Back to RS.
Trump’s remark to the staffers is just one example of Trump’s casual racism detailed in pages of Confidence Man reviewed by Rolling Stone. For example, later in that same meeting, Trump told Schumer and Pelosi that ballots cast by “illegals” were the only reason he’d lost the 2016 popular vote to Hillary Clinon, Haberman reports. After an awkward silence, Pelsoi interjected: “I don’t believe so, Mr. President.”

The book describes Trump’s relationship with Kara Young, a model he dated for multiple years who had a Black mother and a white father. Soon after meeting Young’s parents, Trump joked that she had inherited her beauty from her mother and her intelligence “from her dad, the white side.” Trump laughed at his own joke. Young didn’t, and, according to the book, voiced her displeasure.
He was also surprised that many black people are interested in tennis.

He likes to hang out with black celebrities, however, and Omarosa Manigault-Newman recalled her attempts to set him straight about racial issues, conceding her failure in doing so.

New audio book from Bob Woodward has Trump on tape....

Woodward Audio Book

"it's mine all mine" continuing with the Gollum theme.

He also apparently showed a classified letter from Kim Jon Un to Bob.

Woodward says, “Trump is an unparalleled danger. The record now shows that Trump has led — and continues to lead — a seditious conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election, which in effect is an effort to destroy democracy.”

Back
Top Bottom