• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
One does have to be careful here, because billionaires' wealth is in assets, not income, so one has to avoid projecting one's financial planning onto them. If they sell any of their assets, those assets are gone. But that side, if one's assets are income-producing, like stocks and bonds, one can have plenty of income. For a 1% annual return, a billion dollars of assets yields 10 million dollars a year of income, which is more than enough to finance most campaigns.
Except very often the billionaires' stock is in the company they are growing--and growing companies very often pay no dividends. You can have a lot of net worth in the stock without having much income at all.

One does have to be careful here, because billionaires' wealth is in assets, not income, so one has to avoid projecting one's financial planning onto them. If they sell any of their assets, those assets are gone. But that side, if one's assets are income-producing, like stocks and bonds, one can have plenty of income. For a 1% annual return, a billion dollars of assets yields 10 million dollars a year of income, which is more than enough to finance most campaigns.
Except very often the billionaires' stock is in the company they are growing--and growing companies very often pay no dividends. You can have a lot of net worth in the stock without having much income at all.

That’s why you borrow against it instead of cashing it out - which, if you’re a billionaire would drive down its value.

You understand the "not having much income" part of your sentence is doing a lot of heavy lifting right? "I can only buy 3 houses this week instead of 11" is clearly a hardship.

Or in Trump's case, you really have neither and are heavily overleveraged.

Trump asked that the U.S. government be substituted fror Trump in this case.
The judge noted this moved has already been denied. Denied again.
Trump asked for a delay for his deposition. Denied. The judge will not let Trump run out the clock by delay after delay. The judge noted rhat so far Trump has refused to be deposed. Trump is now ordered to be deposed under oath, no more delays.

He is a gifted grifter. A bank gets wise by the third time someone robs them. He manages to repeatedly rob his supporters with such ease, that they just give it to him.
Trump in 2016: "I'm so rich...I don't need their money."

Trump today: "I need your money!"

You know what would be really surprising? If an "I don't need your money" billionaire actually spent his (or her) own money and refused campaign donations.

I might disagree with their policy positions, but it would be hard to argue that a billionaire who refused campaign donations and spent nothing more than their own money did not have the courage of their convictions.

But that never happens. Ever.

For some reason a candidate who can pay for an entire campaign with the money in their wallet somehow needs donations from people who make less than their own employees.

Michael Bloomberg ran for the Democratic nomination in 2020.
According to opensecrets.org, 99.35% of his campaign receipts were $1.089 billion in Candidate self-financing. That's Billion with a B.

Trump asked that the U.S. government be substituted fror Trump in this case.
The judge noted this moved has already been denied. Denied again.
Trump asked for a delay for his deposition. Denied. The judge will not let Trump run out the clock by delay after delay. The judge noted rhat so far Trump has refused to be deposed. Trump is now ordered to be deposed under oath, no more delays.
This deposition places Trump in a true dilemma. This is a civil case. If Trump plays the 5th card on this one, it can be taken that he concedes all of the plaintiff's claims to be fact. If he answers the questions, he opens himself up to a perjury charge. If Trump claims he never had any contact with Carroll, he is faced with a subpoena for a DNA specimen. If he refuses to comply, it's basically a confession.

I expect he'd say his actions were in accordance of his job as President and are privileged. I'm not certain if that can fly or lead to another set of appeals.

I expect he'd say his actions were in accordance of his job as President and are privileged. I'm not certain if that can fly or lead to another set of appeals.

It was not his job as president to rape Jeanne Caroll. Nor to lie about that and defame her. All which preceded his becoming president. What he is essentially claiming is once one becomes president, one gets a magic get out of jail card. Which aint so,no how, no way. He is going to lose. And that judge told him he would not allow endless legal manuveurs to run out the clock.

It was not his job as president to rape Jeanne Caroll. Nor to lie about that and defame her. All which preceded his becoming president. What he is essentially claiming is once one becomes president, one gets a magic get out of jail card. Which aint so,no how, no way. He is going to lose. And that judge told him he would not allow endless legal manuveurs to run out the clock.
It's going to be hilarious to watch when someone finally drags him to the stand so he can lie and lie and lie, and then find himself in prison.

Trump forms new company
NYT

Trump Organization - same name - but in Delaware. Apparently it was set up just before Letitia James filed a lawsuit in New York, trying to do an end run around harsh punishments.

Ms. James, filed a motion for Judge approval if the Trump crime family wants to move assets to Delaware.

Alina Habba, a lawyer for the former president and his company, said in a statement that Ms. James’s filing was “simply another stunt.”

“We have repeatedly provided assurance, in writing, that the Trump Organization has no intention of doing anything improper,” she said.

:ROFLMAO: :eating_popcorn:

“We have repeatedly provided assurance, in writing, that the Trump Organization has no intention of doing anything improper,” she said.

:ROFLMAO: :eating_popcorn:
It’s cute that they think anyone will ever believe what a Trump lawyer says anymore. Even in writing. Even in sworn affidavits.

It was not his job as president to rape Jeanne Caroll. Nor to lie about that and defame her.
Sure. That isn't evidence that he won't use that defense though.
All which preceded his becoming president. What he is essentially claiming is once one becomes president, one gets a magic get out of jail card. Which aint so,no how, no way. He is going to lose. And that judge told him he would not allow endless legal manuveurs to run out the clock.
I'm learning not to get too excited about any legal prospects against Trump due to the word "appeal".

The January 6 Commitee has just officially voted to subpeona Donald Trump to testify under oath, and to subpeona some documents also.

The Committee has also recommended the DOJ indict a number of people for criminal activities. Flynn, Eastman, Bannon et al.

And will recommend new laws to make it harder to commit activities meant to steal elections, or derail official election proceedings.

Jan 6 committee to subpoena the Orange one

BREAKING NEWS
The Jan. 6 panel plans to subpoena Donald Trump for testimony about his actions ahead of the Capitol riot, its most aggressive move so far.​
So Trump challenges subpoena. Midterms happen. New Congress doesn't care. It's all theater.

Trump is already snarling and complaining. Why did the Committee wait until the last minute rather than invite me to testify months ago!? They did. Trump refused to do so. Always the martyr.

BREAKING NEWS
The Jan. 6 panel plans to subpoena Donald Trump for testimony about his actions ahead of the Capitol riot, its most aggressive move so far.​
So Trump challenges subpoena. Midterms happen. New Congress doesn't care. It's all theater.

It looks like the Democrats will take the Senate with a gain of at least three and as much as six seats if they are lucky. If the GOP takes the house and shuts down the January 6 Committee, which might be harder to do than supposed, the Senate does have the power to hold investigatory hearings. If there is unfinished business with January 6 and Trump, the Senate may be forced by public sentiment to hold further hearings.

Meanwhile, indictment and prosecution of Trump was just recommended to the DOJ by this committee. The horse is already out of the barn.

Trump is already snarling and complaining. Why did the Committee wait until the last minute rather than invite me to testify months ago!? They did. Trump refused to do so. Always the martyr.

BREAKING NEWS

It looks like the Democrats will take the Senate with a gain of at least three and as much as six seats if they are lucky. If the GOP takes the house and shuts down the January 6 Committee, which might be harder to do than supposed, the Senate does have the power to hold investigatory hearings. If there is unfinished business with January 6 and Trump, the Senate may be forced by public sentiment to hold further hearings.

Meanwhile, indictment and prosecution of Trump was just recommended to the DOJ by this committee. The horse is already out of the barn.
They had to do this before the midterms for several reasons including the members of the committee that lost their primary.

indictment and prosecution of Trump was just recommended to the DOJ by this committee.
What? I can't find that anywhere. They just voted to subpoena him.

I watched the hearings. The last five minutes of these hearings is where this all went down.

NPR transcript:

LIZ CHENEY:

Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Mr. Chairman, our committee now has sufficient information to answer many of the critical questions posed by Congress at the outset. We have sufficient information to consider criminal referrals for multiple individuals and to recommend a range of legislative proposals to guard against another January 6th, but a key task remains.

We must seek the testimony under oath of January 6th's central player. More than 30 witnesses in our investigation have invoked their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, and several of those did so specifically in response to questions about their dealings with Donald Trump directly.

Back
Top Bottom