• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Of all the crimes Trump has committed, it is rather pathetic that the Stormy Daniels payoff is the one that someone finally has the courage to charge him with. Hopefully this will open the floodgates on everything else.
I've seen knowledgeable people say exactly that after the first charges drop it will open the floodgates.

Uh oh...
I know it was a scumbag thing to do, but I wonder what the charges will be. Is a hush money deal illegal or just sleazy as hell?
Shouldn't it be exactly the same thing Cohen was charged with?
Come to think of it, yeah - He paid for the NDA with campaign finances.

Trump actually probably won't be arrested. There is still evidence being presented and people testifying in the court. That has to be finished before anything else. Then the Grand Jury must deliberate. If they return an indicement, then, and only then can an arrest be ordered.

The claim Trump WILL be arrested on Tuesday comes from Trump, who is not known for his honesty or his understanding of anything more complex than cheating at golf.

We have right winged radicals threatening demonstrations if Trumpo The Clown is indicted and arrested. I suggest the rest of us declare an arrest of the Criminal Trump be declared a national day of celebration by true patriots who value the rule of law in America. I have a bottle of cheap champagne in the fridge. Just waiting for that wonderful news. Watching the helpless rage of the MAGA cultists will be so very entertaining.

Watching the helpless rage of the MAGA cultists will be so very entertaining.
I feel less and less that way, as I see more and more hapless 'Murkins indulge in willful ignorance about Trump's crimes. I fear that the allure of intellectual sloth has overcome the integrity of the American electorate. Celebrating the mental and emotional deficiencies of these unwitting insurrectionists feels like becoming what I loathe - easy laziness.
Nonetheless, CC, I figure you might as well celebrate if an indictment comes down and you still have cheap champagne chilled... how appropriate.

I feel sorry for them.

What they want is legitimate: freedom, safety, good prospects for their kids, etc. I just think they are looking for those things in the wrong places, accepting empty promises in exchange for loyalty.

I think many people are being manipulated by others who have different agendas: "Vote for the Republican because he'll keep your kids safe! (and because he'll keep my taxes low, but you don't have to worry about that.")

They've been trained to find new things to be outraged about, not fully realizing that if I can keep you outraged, I can compel you to stay tuned through the next commercial messages (and thus, I make money.)

I feel sorry for them.

What they want is legitimate: freedom, safety, good prospects for their kids, etc. I just think they are looking for those things in the wrong places, accepting empty promises in exchange for loyalty.
I don't think so. I think under the cloth, these a bigoted mofos. We've seen Reagan Republicans become moderate Democrats. Those be the people that like freedom and safety. The other ones are marching about with flaming tiki torches, railing about the Jews (I mean globalism) and returning us to the golden age where fags and blacks were not to be seen or heard.

I mean, after Covid... and their support of Trump, can we really doubt what motivates then?

We have a severe long-term employment shortage coming up in a few decades, we have a terrible shortage in nursing home beds, and cyber security is getting more and more out of hand.

And these people? What are they passionately angry about? Shit not actually being taught in schools and transgenders. After Covid, I stopped feeling sorry, because that is going to get more people killed.
They've been trained to find new things to be outraged about, not fully realizing that if I can keep you outraged, I can compel you to stay tuned through the next commercial messages (and thus, I make money.)
And there are people here who were engrained with creationism. They got over it.

These people don't merely disagree on a partisan basis, they openly mock compassion and inclusivity. They don't want freedom, they want to desperately hold onto what they think is their's by birthright, damn all others.

I don't think so. I think under the cloth, these a bigoted mofos. We've seen Reagan Republicans become moderate Democrats. Those be the people that like freedom and safety. The other ones are marching about with flaming tiki torches, railing about the Jews (I mean globalism) and returning us to the golden age where fags and blacks were not to be seen or heard.
That’s not at odds with what JB said.

New York Magazine has a good article explaining why the Stormy Daniels hush money is a particularly bad case to bring against Trump, especially since as the FIRST criminal case it will set precedents. When these charges are thrown out, his supporters will gain strength and enthusiasm.

Adultery is not a crime; paying hush money is not a crime. If Trump were not a candidate and paid the hush money to protect his reputation for his TV show, that would not be a crime.

If Trump WERE a candidate, assumed he would lose, but wanted to protect his TV reputation, the hush money would still not be a crime. Prosecutors would need to prove that the intent of the hush-money was to support his bid for President -- and even then we're talking about just a "technical" violation. It would be very hard to get 12 jurors to convict if the defendant were an unknown; given wide sympathy for T****, acquittal seems all but certain.

He may also be charged with falsifying records, but this is an uncertain ambiguous charge. And is only a misdemeanor charge anyway (unless the falsification was to abet a separate crime).

There are half a dozen prosecutors pursuing T**** for several crimes, all more serious than the Stormy affair. Ideally they should work together and coordinate timings for best effect. Instead, are the prosecutors just playing like prima donnas?

When these charges are thrown out, his supporters will gain strength and enthusiasm.
Good! Maybe they’ll nominate the LOSER again. Then the Federal charges will be brought, and Hair Furor will do what he does - LOSE. BIGLY.
This time hopefully the Capitol Police will be ready and well armed.

New York Magazine has a good article explaining why the Stormy Daniels hush money is a particularly bad case to bring against Trump, especially since as the FIRST criminal case it will set precedents. When these charges are thrown out, his supporters will gain strength and enthusiasm.

Adultery is not a crime; paying hush money is not a crime. If Trump were not a candidate and paid the hush money to protect his reputation for his TV show, that would not be a crime.

If Trump WERE a candidate, assumed he would lose, but wanted to protect his TV reputation, the hush money would still not be a crime. Prosecutors would need to prove that the intent of the hush-money was to support his bid for President -- and even then we're talking about just a "technical" violation. It would be very hard to get 12 jurors to convict if the defendant were an unknown; given wide sympathy for T****, acquittal seems all but certain.

He may also be charged with falsifying records, but this is an uncertain ambiguous charge. And is only a misdemeanor charge anyway (unless the falsification was to abet a separate crime).

There are half a dozen prosecutors pursuing T**** for several crimes, all more serious than the Stormy affair. Ideally they should work together and coordinate timings for best effect. Instead, are the prosecutors just playing like prima donnas?
Whatever crime Michael Cohen got convicted of and went to jail for would seem to apply here because Trump is a co-conspirator of those crimes. If we let Trump off here then I would hope that Cohen would get a pardon and compensated for his imprisonment if there were no actual crime here.

Or is it that this particular crime just is one of the smaller in the long list of crimes that Trump has committed that it'd be better to start with the bigger ones? I'd probably agree with you here.

Michael Cohen pled guilty -- no jury convicted him -- to several crimes; one of which involved a check paid to Stormy Daniels. That check was signed by Cohen himself.

Cohen would be a star witness if Trump is accused in the Stormy Daniels affair. But defense will point out that Michael Cohen is a convicted perjurer.

How in heaven's name will a jury be selected anyway? Any prospective juror with no opinion on Trump would have to be an idiot.

Whatever crime Michael Cohen got convicted of and went to jail for would seem to apply here because Trump is a co-conspirator of those crimes. If we let Trump off here then I would hope that Cohen would get a pardon and compensated for his imprisonment if there were no actual crime here.
Absolutely.

Al Capone went down for tax evasion. Not exactly the real reason Capone was a bad guy.

Back
Top Bottom