• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged

A demonstration on Monday organized by the New York Young Republican Club outside the Manhattan court where Trump would be arraigned if indicted drew barely 50 people. Only a handful of supporters showed up outside his Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, according to local reports.

Distrustful that protests might be “traps” set by federal law enforcement and without a fixed date or event to rally around, the vast majority of pro-Trump online groups seemed to waver between apathy and confusion, showing very little appetite for organized action. “He’s not infallible and protest is very vague,” one person wrote in a popular MAGA Telegram group. “And what exactly does “Protest, Protest!!!” mean?” another person asked in a different group. “I’m not trying to be a jerk but you’d think he could give slightly more explicit instructions if he really wanted the tens of millions of people who support him to do something effective.”
“Why would I protest for a man that left the [Jan. 6 protesters] high and dry?” one user posted in a pro-Trump Telegram group. “Trump did nothing to help them after they stuck [their] neck out for him.”

“Has he called for protests about these poor guys? No. But he’s calling for us to protest about his arrest,” another person wrote. “It doesn’t sit right with me.” Another user agreed: “He’s right. Trump betrayed the J6 patriots. How can anybody still support [him]?”
On online messaging groups and forums, Trump supporters discussed alternative ways to protest, with many urging people to withdraw their money from banks, organize national work strikes, set up prayer groups or fly American flags upside down. “Don’t expose your back, because Trump does not have yours,” one user on a pro-Trump social media group wrote. “And he never will.”
Still, intelligence officials have tracked an uptick in violent rhetoric in recent days, with most threats targeting law enforcement, judges and government officials in New York, according to a CBS report. Extremism analysts and former law enforcement officials have cautioned that the risk of violence is more likely to come from an individual who decides to act, as happened last year when an armed man attacked the FBI’s office in Cincinnati after the agents raided Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence.

Donald Trump has told advisers that he wants to be handcuffed when he makes an appearance in court, if he is indicted by a Manhattan grand jury for his role in paying hush money to adult film star Stormy Daniels, multiple sources close to the former president have said.

The former president has reasoned that since he would need to go to the courthouse and surrender himself to authorities for fingerprinting and a mug shot anyway, the sources said, he might as well turn everything into a “spectacle”.

Trump’s increasing insistence that he wants to be handcuffed behind his back for a perp walk appears to come from various motivations, including that he wants to project defiance in the face of what he sees as an unfair prosecution and that it would galvanize his base for his 2024 presidential campaign.

But above all, people close to Trump said, he was deeply anxious that any special arrangements – like making his first court appearance by video link or skulking into the courthouse – would make him look weak or like a loser.

I think he wants to be handcuffed and perp walk because he wants his deranged /deplorable supporters to cause a violent scene.

I think he wants to be handcuffed and perp walk because he wants his deranged /deplorable supporters to cause a violent scene.
The very fact that he wants to, and believes he can, stage manage this to cause maximum damage to everyone else is illustrative of why he's such a bad, anti-American leader.
Tom

Reactions: jab
I want this to go to trial so that when Orange and/or his lawyers start mouthing off in court the judge slaps them down, issues contempt, etc. If Orange Donnie wants to appear in handcuffs then put him in an orange suit too with a ball and chain with a big letter "A" on his back. Nothing is too good for my boy.

Actually he wants them to open up their wallets. His campaign has fleeced the rubes for $1.5 million since he announced he was going to be arrested.

The campaign sent out an email blast to the faithful with a link to a petition to sign supporting the Orange Shitgibbon. Once there, they were hit with a solicitation to donate up to $3,300 "for the cause."

Apparently the gullible followers did so in droves.

Actually he wants them to open up their wallets. His campaign has fleeced the rubes for $1.5 million since he announced he was going to be arrested.

The campaign sent out an email blast to the faithful with a link to a petition to sign supporting the Orange Shitgibbon. Once there, they were hit with a solicitation to donate up to $3,300 "for the cause."

I'm willing to say that he wants both money and violence

New York Magazine has a good article explaining why the Stormy Daniels hush money is a particularly bad case to bring against Trump, especially since as the FIRST criminal case it will set precedents. When these charges are thrown out, his supporters will gain strength and enthusiasm.

Adultery is not a crime; paying hush money is not a crime. If Trump were not a candidate and paid the hush money to protect his reputation for his TV show, that would not be a crime.

If Trump WERE a candidate, assumed he would lose, but wanted to protect his TV reputation, the hush money would still not be a crime. Prosecutors would need to prove that the intent of the hush-money was to support his bid for President -- and even then we're talking about just a "technical" violation. It would be very hard to get 12 jurors to convict if the defendant were an unknown; given wide sympathy for T****, acquittal seems all but certain.

He may also be charged with falsifying records, but this is an uncertain ambiguous charge. And is only a misdemeanor charge anyway (unless the falsification was to abet a separate crime).

There are half a dozen prosecutors pursuing T**** for several crimes, all more serious than the Stormy affair. Ideally they should work together and coordinate timings for best effect. Instead, are the prosecutors just playing like prima donnas?

We cannot go about saying this or that political crook has an insignificant being persued, insignificant compared to other criminal activities still in the judicial pipeline. So maybe stop pursuing these less insignificant cases.

We need to be MAGA level angry that Trump has not been indicted and served with justice because our political system does not have the political courage to do the right thing.

I'm willing to say that he wants both money and violence
I agree but I think he's more interested in the money. He uses violence, threats and conspiracies to get more money. If the money dried up today so would Orange.

He allegedly has "only" $25 million left in the campaign war chest. Had over $100 million a year ago. But his supporters just love to give him their money, regardless whether it goes to Trump properties and not his re-election campaign or to fight the 2020 fraud. They just keep giving him money. So yeah, he threw this out there to get more money.

We need to be MAGA level angry that Trump has not been indicted and served with justice because our political system does not have the political courage to do the right thing.
I dunno. Perhaps this is why Bragg cancelled the grand jury.
Fr2y9gMWIAMstO0

It could be interesting and another delay if they have to extradite Trump from Florida while needing Desantis's approval.

LOL - I don'[t think it is news to anyone that Mr. Cohen is a liar. I don't think it is news to anyone that Mr. Trump is a liar.

I seriously doubt that a letter written in February of 2018 just surfaced to scuttle a grand jury.

I also don't see what laws Mr. Trump broke. While I think what he did was scummy, how is the essentially different than paying someone to sign a NDA?

I seriously doubt that a letter written in February of 2018 just surfaced to scuttle a grand jury.
If you watch the video above from Cohen’s former lawyer, he said the grand jury was given only six cherry-picked documents when he testified that there were hundreds exonerating Trump.

When did Bragg cancel the grand jury?
They were supposed to meet today. Suddenly cancelled. This guy may also have played a role.

One day cancelled.
When did Bragg cancel the grand jury?
They were supposed to meet today. Suddenly cancelled. This guy may also have played a role.

That was always the defense that was going to be used.

Yes, Cohen lied, for Trump. Then Trump threw him under the bus. Real nice guy you're supporting there.

We know Trump was involved in this whole mess. Lawyers don't go out and get mortgages on their homes to pay hush money for someone else out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you watch the video above from Cohen’s former lawyer, he said the grand jury was given only six cherry-picked documents when he testified that there were hundreds exonerating Trump.
How does he know this?

While I think what he did was scummy, how is the essentially different than paying someone t
Using campaign funds and lying about it.

Yeah, banging a hooker while your wife is giving birth to your son is scummy, to say the least. But it's the way he financed it that is the illegal part.
Tom

How does he know this?
He’s a witness. He testified at the grand jury. He’s going to know what documents he had with his former client.

Back
Top Bottom