• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

South Carolina police officer investigated after slamming student to ground at Spring Valley High

No. This would be a terrible system--it would be a major encouragement to fighting the police. This isn't a liberal fantasy world where there's always a good solution if you just look hard enough. The real world involves a lot of choices between lesser evils--and yanking her out of the chair is the lesser evil here--although a stun gun might have been better.

Till she gets hurt on the doorway.

What? No.

Have you ever even _been_ in high school? Sarcastic question because of course you have, but for the love of reason do you actually think her behavior is out of the ordinary? Sheeeeit. I did far far far worse than that in school. And they managed not to disrupt entire classes dealing with me. This is common behavior. That is uncommon reaction.

Imma tell my kids the next time they say "no" to something, BAMMO! Gotta head off anarchy!

You are so weird thinking everyone needs to be beat up and shot into compliance. SO weird.

Her degree of non-compliance, yes, that's not what I encountered in school.

She did what she was told: she complied.

The 'real world' is not that if you break a rule, the police get to come and drag you out of your chair by your hair and clothing and assault you and arrest you.

You seem to have confused the real world with Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1, Episode 8: Justice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

She complied only after she knew the teacher had summoned help.

Therefore, she should still be thrown from her chair and across the room? Compliance must be instantaneous; if it is not, corporal punishment shall be inflicted?

Anything to deny the reality of the situation.

Which is why I asked you for a link. And why you won't provide one. We all know why you refuse to provide links and rarely seem to have viewed them. You think it gives you plausible deniability. You are not correct.

You asked Maxparrish for a link, not me.

I was just griping about your pattern of trying to deny the basic situation in order to show that the use of force was wrong.

What? No.

Have you ever even _been_ in high school? Sarcastic question because of course you have, but for the love of reason do you actually think her behavior is out of the ordinary? Sheeeeit. I did far far far worse than that in school. And they managed not to disrupt entire classes dealing with me. This is common behavior. That is uncommon reaction.

Imma tell my kids the next time they say "no" to something, BAMMO! Gotta head off anarchy!

You are so weird thinking everyone needs to be beat up and shot into compliance. SO weird.

Really, you never saw a kid say "no" and then just sit there?

Maybe you don't remember those kids because they always complied after a while. Likely because your teachers and principals had the wisdom, patience, and social skills necessary to talk to the kid and reason them into compliance before resorting to throwing them across the room. Isn't that a possibility?

For a second there, I thought it was racism.
How very like you to jump to that particular conclusion.

Then what DID you mean by your insistence that this particular girl could not possibly be taking algebra at 15/16? You insist that you took it before 18 but somehow this particular girl can't? Why is that Derec?

Really, you never saw a kid say "no" and then just sit there?

Maybe you don't remember those kids because they always complied after a while. Likely because your teachers and principals had the wisdom, patience, and social skills necessary to talk to the kid and reason them into compliance before resorting to throwing them across the room. Isn't that a possibility?
It’s a likelihood because it’s too weird to be true that he never saw it. If a police officer took action then "her degree of non-compliance" MUST have been extreme or else they wouldn’t have done it... Video evidence and witness testimony won’t change this basic “logic”.

It seems like there is a group of people who think that when you start a course of action YOU CANNOT STOP, EVER, until you are the clear victor.

You can't de-escalate, ever, that shows "weakness" that will lead to "anarchy".
They identify with the police because the police are powerful, whereas they feel powerless against the perceived threat of a world filled with bitches and thugs. In a world where it’s a "war of every man against every man" a Leviathan becomes needed to force chaos into order. A sovereign ruler would be too much but a "legitimated" bodyguard will do just find to keep the "losers" down.

The 'real world' is not that if you break a rule, the police get to come and drag you out of your chair by your hair and clothing and assault you and arrest you.

You seem to have confused the real world with Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1, Episode 8: Justice

Source?

So what? At whatever point she complied, that was the EXACT LIMIT of what was needed to get her to comply.

I realize that you are not satisfied with compliance. You want obeisance. And you're ready to punish to get it. She has already complied but you want her punished. You want her dominated by authority.

What you want is undemocratic and unreasonable. You're one of those people who thinks one can gain respect through violence. NeverhappenedInTheHistoryOfTheWorld. All you get is fear and resentment.

Others of us disagree with you. We've seen kids who are actually disruptive. We've seen them dealt with like human beings and successfully. And we've seen force saved for those who are actively dangerous. We actually work with kids. We actually have kids. We've actually been the disruptive one who saw how this can be done.

I know without a doubt that you will never understand this. It is very simple to you. The alpha does whatever it takes to get submission, and you don't stop until they show belly and acknowledge your superior physicality. It's what dogs do. Dogs that have no chance of displaying intellectual wisdom, so they have only physical force. It's good to be reminded that there are people like you out there, so that we can take care to never hire one into a position where their psychopathic position can cause harm. Like this.

http://www.wltx.com/videos/news/local/2015/10/27/instagram-video-of-spring-valley-incident/74689786/

I just watched this video in slow motion.

At 2 seconds his left arm is under the desk lifting it an flipping it backwards.

At 4 seconds he has her left leg behind the knee and her left arm in his right hand and he flings her all the way to the front of the room.

Ignore this video--it's been edited to remove part of the action. Given the size of the clip I can see no reason to think this is for anything but deceptive reasons.

I referenced that video not about what preceded force application but as a clear image of the nature of the force application. It illustrates clearly how the desk was flipped and how she was subsequently thrown to the front of the room.

That level of force was not necessary to remove her from the room, irrespective of what she said or how long she had been non-compliant.

Acceptance of that level of force is not granted to teachers, parents, or anybody else. I do not see why it is acceptable for the police officer to throw her around like that.

Granted I went to private school but we did have some kids whose parents sent them there to try to straighten them out in a more disciplinarian environment. Some of those kids were extremely disruptive and rude to instructors. None were ever tossed around like that even when the wrestling coach broke up fights and the outside police were called in to haul off the offenders. Granted the private school had more latitude to expel problem students if they didn't walk the line but that type of force was not in the cards.

Wrestling coach was about 30 years old and at 5'10" and 230 could still dunk a basketball. The guy was a powerhouse and I witnessed him break up two fights. He could have flattened the kids involved but he merely restrained and removed. Why shouldn't we expect such from a professional law enforcement officer dealing with a bratty kid?

They didn't drop her
there was no lawsuit

there was also no federal investigation, unlike this case.
THIS is going to spawn a lawsuit.

so once again

View attachment 4573

Does the concept of risk mean anything to you?
You mean the risk in man handling a student over a petty violation that could have been dealt with in several other manners? Was she truly distracting the entire classroom? Could no other punishment be resorted to in order to remediate this problem in the future?

They didn't drop her
there was no lawsuit

so once again

View attachment 4573

Are you afraid of teenage girls? Not that I´m surprised.

Now explain to me Loren, with your extensive knowledge. Why is it that I have never sent a police officer to a school in the last year but you think it is needed to deal with a teenage girl? Are American police worse than Icelandic officers?

there are no black people in iceland, that's why...amirite?

They didn't drop her
there was no lawsuit

so once again

View attachment 4573

In past events that are done deals? No.

BECAUSE they are done deals. There is no risk in my driving my parent's car in one day in August in 1988.

And as for risk, did the officer not engage in risk?

News Flash

Police work actually isn't terribly dangerous (aka risky), coming in at number 14, squeaking ahead of construction trades, general maintenance and repair workers:
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-dangerous-jobs/

Just where are the robo calls asking us to help the poor widows of the guys that provide that tuna; and who happen to earn only half of what a typical police officer makes?

One note of importance, while I understand the gist, most of those deaths are accidental.

Oddly enough, plenty of right-wingers think we should get rid of the regulations that would lead to more deaths in those respective fields.

We've all sat in these desks before and know it can be very difficult to extract a person from one. You can wrap your feet around the front legs of the chair, press your knees up against the underside of the desk, you can also use your hands.
Did the cop need to be called in? I would not have handled it that way. Were I the teacher, if she was not disrupting instruction, I would have handled it after the fact.
But the cop was called in. Once this happens, the cop must win the battle. He cannot be seen much less videoed as giving up and walking away or getting into some comical tug of war with the girl. He has a reputation that must be protected. He can be the good cop, the nice cop, but he also must be seen as an individual that enforces when necessary. If he backs down in anyway, within a month, there likely would be half a dozen little swinging dicks looking to challenge his authority in some fashion.

Back
Top Bottom