• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The evidence strongly suggests it's the Republicans who are trying to rig the election!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I considered adding this to the thread about the Democrats rigging he election and if the mods feel it would be better there, by all means add it.

I'm going to gift an article from the NYTimes that demonstrates some of their tricks at making the election look like some immigrants are voting illegally. It's a long article, so I hope most of you who are interested in this, will read all of it. And, please add other evidence from other sources to show how the Republicans aren't interested in a fair election. They are trying to intimidate some voters and lying about fraud. We already know about Georgia's Republican electors trying to put off certification, but this is something new. You can listen to the article if you prefer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/05/...e_code=1.JU4.NXyT.U8y_pmqG2Gjd&smid=url-share

Activists, party lawyers and state officials are mobilizing behind a crackdown on a supposed scourge of noncitizens’ casting ballots. Voting rights advocates say the effort is spreading misinformation.

Listen to this article · 14:18 min Learn more

https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en-us/articles/24318293692180
In late July, a group of Republican activists met on a Zoom call to discuss preparations for the November election. The topic was how to keep undocumented immigrants from voting in November, a problem they claim, inaccurately, to be a looming threat to a fair election.

One woman, a local party chair from Georgia, recommended scouring school enrollment figures to find neighborhoods with large numbers of migrants. Another, Darlene Hennessy, an activist from the Detroit area, recommended hanging up signs in “ethnic” neighborhoods warning people not to vote if they were not eligible. She also suggested searching voter rolls for certain types of surnames.

“I think it’s unfortunate, but sometimes the only way you can find out is to look for ethnic names,” Ms. Hennessy said, according to a recording of the call obtained by The New York Times.

“We don’t want to be doing anything illegal,” she added.

There is no indication that noncitizens are voting in large numbers. And yet the notion that they will flood the polls — and vote overwhelmingly for Democrats — is animating a sprawling network of Republicans who mobilized around former President Donald J. Trump’s false claims of a rigged election in 2020 and are now preparing for the next one.

Activists like Ms. Hennessy, prominent lawyers, Republican lawmakers, right-wing influencers and other allies of Mr. Trump have ramped up pressure on local election officials to take steps that they say will keep noncitizens from tilting the election in Democrats’ favor. They have pressed for voter roll purges, filed lawsuits, prepared for on-the-ground monitoring of polling places and spread misinformation online.

Republican elected officials have responded. In Texas, the state’s Republican attorney general, Ken Paxton, recently announced an investigation into whether organizations were purposely registering noncitizens to vote. (He also authorized the state police to search the homes of activists who had been registering Latino voters as part of an investigation into allegations of voter fraud.) In Alabama, the secretary of state recently deactivated the registrations of more than 3,000 people, including some who are naturalized citizens, according to news reports, forcing them to update their records before they can vote.

There are a lot more details in the article. If I'm not mistaken, this is the article that discusses these Republican going into Norcross, Ga, a suburb of ATL that has a lot of Latino residents and asking some non citizens if they were registered to vote. Some of them said yes, but they had not intention of voting and had never tried to register. They were just scared and wanted to get rid of these annoying pests. Afterwards, the Republicans made outrageous claims that something like 47,000 non citizens were planning on voting in Georgia, despite the fact that there is no evidence of this. In fact, I think after an investigation, it was found that something like 23 non citizens had voted in something like 20 years. If it's not in this article, I'll see if I can find the one where I read that. There is so much of this crap going on by the Republicans, most likely to try and make naive and low information people believe that our elections are not fair. it's rather sickening.

Part of it is rigging, the other part is the psychology. What percentage of Republicans today think 2020 was a fraud? The percentage in between 30 and 50%. It is a lot easier to motivate voters to vote when you can get them to believe the other side are cheaters. Very dystopian. It also makes it easier to dehumanize the opponents, which is the really dark side of Trump's dystopian maneuvers.

Trump has normalized lying so well, that these Republicans believe Trump lost to fraud, despite Trump not taking any cases of fraud to court... you know, where he could get it resolved... and win the damn election!

Yet we have certain posters here asserting the "both sides" argument, and representing by both implication and direct statement that Dems are just as eager to cheat as are Republicans. Maybe they are, and they just don't find it propitious like Republicans do.
While blame-laying for the fact that cheating is even possible in this system might justifiably be spread around, the FACT is that in general Republicans cheat, and Democrats do not cheat. A microcosmic reflection of that fact can be seen in the results of all the fraud investigations of the 2020 election.

Newsweek said:
Although erroneous claims questioning the Biden win persist, multiple reports by Newsweek and other outlets show that most of those charged with voter fraud were, in fact, Republican voters.
These included three Florida residents alleged to have cast multiple ballots and a Pennsylvania man who admitted he had registered his dead mother.

But muddying the waters around the very possibility of cheating serves the Republican lie machine very well.
We can look forward to cheating this year, by bold forward thinking, independent-minded Republicans who feel entitled by Trump's statements to cheat without remorse per his instruction, and to simultaneously accuse Democrats of the crimes Republicans commit in Cheato's name.

JUST LIKE LAST TIME.

I seriously doubt many MAGAtards actually believe the 2020 election was stolen.

I believe quite strongly that most, if not all, MAGAtards are a bunch of dishonest cunts who believe spouting that lie is the best way to achieve what they want - facts be damned.

^
Or, some people just like to argue. I had a friend like that. No matter what the subject he took the other side. Kind of like a Monty Python skit.

And then there's Elon Asshole Musk....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...musk-illegal-immigrant-voting-misinformation/

The chairman of the board of elections in Montgomery County, Pa., was well acquainted with the regular attendees at his monthly meetings who peddled old, debunked voting conspiracy theories.
But something changed after April 4, the chairman, Neil Makhija, explained in an interview. That was the day Elon Musk retweeted a false claim that as many as 2 million noncitizens had been registered to vote in Texas, Arizona and Pennsylvania.

Suddenly, the same people were coming to the meetings with a new, unsubstantiated theory of voter fraud that appeared to align with Musk’s latest post: They were convinced that droves of noncitizens were voting illegally in their suburban Philadelphia county of nearly a million people.

For Makhija, a Democrat who is also a member of the county board of commissioners, it was a lesson in the influence of Musk, the South Africa-born billionaire CEO of Tesla and SpaceX. In the two years since he bought Twitter, now X, Musk has transformed it into a primary source of false election rumors, both by spreading them on his own account, which has 197 million followers, and lowering some of the site’s guardrails around misinformation.

A separate analysis found that 50 of Musk’s false or misleading claims about the U.S. election between Jan. 1 and July 31 were debunked by independent fact-checkers and still generated almost 1.2 billion views, according to a recent study from the Center for Countering Digital Hate. None displayed community notes, X’s term for user-generated fact checks that Musk has promised serve as an “immediate way to refute anything false” that is posted on the platform.
X did not respond to a detailed list of questions for Musk.
His frequent amplification of election untruths has spurred typically low-profile election officials to publicly fact-check him. His immense reach far outstrips theirs, so they say they attempt to blunt the damage of his false posts by piggybacking on them with truthful fact checks of their own.

Republicans seem to know they can't win unless they cheat, so they are escalating these false claims of election fraud.

I live in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Most of the immigrants I encounter are Lyft and Uber drivers who are busting their asses to survive, and, that's just in the Jenkintown/Abington area. We do discuss political matters. I don't think they're here illegally, but I'm not checking ID for Lyft or Uber.

When Trump installed his megadonor Louis DeJoy as head of the US Post Office, DeJoy began to disrupt the mail to disrupt the elections. Here in Montgomery County, PA, in my actual town as elsewhere, the mail sorting machines were dismantled and destroyed, for NO reason (other than the GOP's own). The mail service barely recovered from that interference.

DeJoy is still in charge of the USPS. Biden declined to replace him, because the USPS is buying up electric vehicles and that is seen as a "clean energy" bonus, somehow.

Richies gonna Rich.

Here in Montgomery County, PA, in my actual town as elsewhere, the mail sorting machines were dismantled and destroyed, for NO reason (other than the GOP's own). The mail service barely recovered from that interference.
We had a sorting facility. Louie NoJoy destroyed it and added 1-3 days to EVERYTHING. Bills come late, payments get there late, a couple $m worth of equipment destroyed to make Louie’s delivery services more competitive. And that’s just in our tiny town.

DeJoy is still in charge of the USPS. Biden declined to replace him, because the USPS is buying up electric vehicles and that is seen as a "clean energy" bonus, somehow.
Biden didn't replace DeJoy because it is not within his direct power to do so.

Here is a good article discussing why Biden couldn't simply fire DeJoy.

What can be done prevent such attempts from being done?
Can you rephrase that in to the form of an actual question?
What is being done to try to prevent allegations of voter fraud (real or imagined)?
Making it easy as possible to vote either in person or postal or out of area.
Trying to stop external interference?
Etc.?
Or will what was done in 2020 be left as it is?

What is being done to try to prevent allegations of voter fraud (real or imagined)?
Etc.?
Prevent allegations? What can be done to prevent idiots untethered from reality from liking Facebook posts citing reports from a friend's nephew's cousin's friend?

Preventing actual fraud? What's wrong with what they've been doing?

Multi level approach. Create a street movement of antifascists willing to confront their goons on their own terms. Nationally, taking advantage of the unbalanced nature of the electoral map to place ever more Progressive candidates in positions of undue influence in the government and court system. Taking further advantage of the superior education and talent of your average antifascist to ensure that most offices in DC are primarily staffed by angry but highly effective queer activists who aren't going to lie down and take it anymore.

At least, that seems to be the going strategy. Not sure it's actually working. Actually, I am pretty sure it's not working.

Etc.?
Ignoring any claim not taken to court.

Why would they rig the election?
Trump just won the Big Debate, 93 to 6.
THAT’S WHAT HE SAYS!
😆😝🤣 :hysterical:

What was “done in 2020”?

We had an election. Trump lost BIGLY.
He tried to overthrow the government to change the result. He’s under indictment for trying that, and Joe Biden, who won the election, is still President.

So, what exactly are you asking about?

NOTHING.
It remains the voter’s responsibility to differentiate allegations from evidence.
If too many are too stupid to do that, we deserve what we get.

We’re not interested establishing truth police; Americans are free to make allegations, lie, distort and deceive to their hearts’ content.
Are Australians often arrested for lying?

Last edited:
People who say Trump is just a symptom of political disfunction, not a cause, have been proven so, so wrong in the past few years. He has put his personal, poisonous stamp on the GOP. Not only is all manner of personal, belittling name-calling now accepted by the party, but this destructive business of contesting every election loss as fraud is a Trump device, and it has the potential to do in our democratic system. Little Kari Lake wouldn't have pulled her still-current denial campaign without the inspiration of The Boss.

Back
Top Bottom