• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The feminazis have taken over and ruined Star Wars!

Now, I'm not saying the Empire were saints, but you can't just take down the main source of order in the Galaxy without a plan for after the war.

Also, the killing of the 1.7 million people of the so-called "death star" crew is one of the most barbaric atrocities ever perpetrated. Most of those people were peaceful civilians with families or soldiers from poor planets who had signed up to get free college.

But think of the millions of voices that suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Does that not justify some sort of response?

Enhanced video shows Alderaan shot first:

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/alderaan-shot-first.gif

The Empire entered their system with a planet-destroying spaceship. Alderaan was just standing its ground.

Alderaan was the Empire's ground.

And Waco was the US government's. You're not going to take the position that David Koresh was somehow in the wrong or anything crazy like that, are you?

At least the Nazis didn't do any of that social justice warrior crap. They knew a woman's place!

Star Wars was always a typical Hollywood bundle of heroic shit...where it always was that might (the rebels with their better fighters) prevailed over the stupid empire with its poorer (X fighters). Nothing but explosions and admonitions...(slightly altered here to emphasize real message) "Use Force, Luke! Use Force!"
Neither grown up nor children should watch this crap. It glorifies violence and never leaves any room for peaceable solutions to problems.
image.jpeg

Star Wars glorifies violence? STAR WARS?

Yup! Its good guys versus evil bad guys with little confusers thrown in to keep you tuned into the special effects. I have lived and worked in this area for years and know all sorts of people from screen writers to prop makers. This is the shallowest business a person could get into. I do not hate the actors or even the public, but it is simply a collection of Hollywood big boys looking for profit. It is profit from images of extreme violence...lotsa noise, fire, and very little blood and maggots...to suit the audience.

Yup! Its good guys versus evil bad guys with little confusers thrown in to keep you tuned into the special effects. I have lived and worked in this area for years and know all sorts of people from screen writers to prop makers. This is the shallowest business a person could get into. I do not hate the actors or even the public, but it is simply a collection of Hollywood big boys looking for profit. It is profit from images of extreme violence...lotsa noise, fire, and very little blood and maggots...to suit the audience.

So you have spoilers!!!!!!

Star Wars was always a typical Hollywood bundle of heroic shit...where it always was that might (the rebels with their better fighters) prevailed over the stupid empire with its poorer (X fighters). Nothing but explosions and admonitions...(slightly altered here to emphasize real message) "Use Force, Luke! Use Force!"
Neither grown up nor children should watch this crap. It glorifies violence and never leaves any room for peaceable solutions to problems.
View attachment 6412

bilby bilby bilby....give me a break. I have never done anything like your old man.... "Use the insult, Bilby! Use insult!"

So you are saying that the general public are having fun wrong? That we shouldn't be entertained by explosions and space battles and simple tales with clear-cut good and bad guys?

Well, it's a good thing you're here to tell us all how mistaken we are. I'm sure that there will be tumbleweeds blowing through the empty shell of Hollywood within a few months, now that we all realize how shallow the movie industry is; It never occurred to us before, and we shall stop enjoying its product forthwith, and cloister ourselves into a monastic life where we can spend all our free time in contemplation of the evils of mankind. :rolleyes:

So you are saying that the general public are having fun wrong? That we shouldn't be entertained by explosions and space battles and simple tales with clear-cut good and bad guys?

Well, it's a good thing you're here to tell us all how mistaken we are. I'm sure that there will be tumbleweeds blowing through the empty shell of Hollywood within a few months, now that we all realize how shallow the movie industry is; It never occurred to us before, and we shall stop enjoying its product forthwith, and cloister ourselves into a monastic life where we can spend all our free time in contemplation of the evils of mankind. :rolleyes:

Millions are spent on this tripe. You maybe don't understand. If you spend your time and energy in movie neverland, it warps your sense of reality. I don't feel it is important to live a monastic life or any of that other horseshit you have been spouting. Mainly, I simply prefer to use my money for better things. I will not be watching Star Wars...probably ever. You see one of them, you've seen em all. You go and put YOUR MONEY DOWN and watch this latest edition and then report back to me...Isn't it about the same thing as last time? Try not to be childish about it...okay?

Millions are spent on this tripe. You maybe don't understand. If you spend your time and energy in movie neverland, it warps your sense of reality. I don't feel it is important to live a monastic life or any of that other horseshit you have been spouting. Mainly, I simply prefer to use my money for better things. I will not be watching Star Wars...probably ever. You see one of them, you've seen em all. You go and put YOUR MONEY DOWN and watch this latest edition and then report back to me...Isn't it about the same thing as last time? Try not to be childish about it...okay?

Millions are spent, and even more millions are made - this industry does not impoverish anyone. I DO put my money down, as do millions of others; If you chose to do something else with your money and your spare time, then that's perfectly OK, but you don't get to tell other people that their personal entertainment choices are valueless, just because they are not the same as yours - to do so is the ultimate in childishness. You need to grow up, old man, and realize that other people have opinions, often better informed than yours, and that individuals are the sole arbiters of what they personally find entertaining.

No doubt millions of people would roll their eyes at your choice of free time activity. But they would be wrong to do so, just as you are wrong to denigrate their choices.

The new Star Wars movie was, indeed, VERY similar to what went before - intentionally so - and it was entertaining for many of the same reasons. Film making is art; It evokes emotional responses in people. That's all it does; and snobbish assertions that a certain piece or genre of art is less valuable because it is popular is the height of foolishness - it is popular because it does what it is supposed to do.

Millions are spent, and even more millions are made - this industry does not impoverish anyone. I DO put my money down, as do millions of others; If you chose to do something else with your money and your spare time, then that's perfectly OK, but you don't get to tell other people that their personal entertainment choices are valueless, just because they are not the same as yours - to do so is the ultimate in childishness. You need to grow up, old man, and realize that other people have opinions, often better informed than yours, and that individuals are the sole arbiters of what they personally find entertaining.

No doubt millions of people would roll their eyes at your choice of free time activity. But they would be wrong to do so, just as you are wrong to denigrate their choices.

The new Star Wars movie was, indeed, VERY similar to what went before - intentionally so - and it was entertaining for many of the same reasons. Film making is art; It evokes emotional responses in people. That's all it does; and snobbish assertions that a certain piece or genre of art is less valuable because it is popular is the height of foolishness - it is popular because it does what it is supposed to do.

You picks your poison, enjoy! Remember to buy lotsa popcorn. Critics can call their shots as they wish. I happen to feel very critical about Star Wars type movies. You seem to live in a world where your emotional condition is all the counts and feel you have the right to tell me I don't have the right to feel favorite movies are shit...well they are, even if you choose to insult me some more....try again.;)

You picks your poison, enjoy! Remember to buy lotsa popcorn. Critics can call their shots as they wish. I happen to feel very critical about Star Wars type movies. You seem to live in a world where your emotional condition is all the counts and feel you have the right to tell me I don't have the right to feel favorite movies are shit...well they are, even if you choose to insult me some more....try again.;)

You are entitled to be critical. You are not entitled to have your criticism go unremarked or unrebutted.

Oh, and EVERYBODY lives in a world where their emotional condition is all that counts; The only difference is that some people are more aware of that than others. Your apparent surprise that someone would respond in kind to your insulting comments about their entertainment choices, suggests that you lack that awareness - you are so oblivious to insults generated BY you and not directed AT you that you can apparently only see one of those as an insult at all. You have my sympathy, but not my respect.

You are entitled to be critical. You are not entitled to have your criticism go unremarked or unrebutted.

Oh, and EVERYBODY lives in a world where their emotional condition is all that counts; The only difference is that some people are more aware of that than others. Your apparent surprise that someone would respond in kind to your insulting comments about their entertainment choices, suggests that you lack that awareness - you are so oblivious to insults generated BY you and not directed AT you that you can apparently only see one of those as an insult at all. You have my sympathy, but not my respect.

Thank you for making your position known. It explains a lot to me. Reality is what counts.:D Star Wars is an extremely simple minded admixture of of apparently violent special effects with a covering up of the negative aspects of that violence (no blood, no flies). It is sanitized violence and it makes you feel you can do things you can't do. It is unrealistic. So are you and you have as much as told me so.:D

Thank you for making your position known. It explains a lot to me. Reality is what counts.:D Star Wars is an extremely simple minded admixture of of apparently violent special effects with a covering up of the negative aspects of that violence (no blood, no flies). It is sanitized violence and it makes you feel you can do things you can't do. It is unrealistic. So are you and you have as much as told me so.:D

Surely you can't be in denial quite so deeply as to claim that you are an exception to the rule? Just re-read your posts in this thread - it is abundantly clear that you are not.

The very idea you espouse here - that entertainment needs to be realistic, apparently because people (other than yourself, because you are unique and special, obviously) can't handle unrealistic entertainment without coming to believe that it is real - is a clear cut example.

You think you are special, because you are one of those elite humans for whom their emotional condition is subordinate to their reason. Well, I've got news for you - you are not special at all in that regard; NOBODY is. But LOTS of people think that they are. And when they look around, they see emotional wrecks everywhere, and feel oh so superior - because they never think to glance in the mirror.

Surely you can't be in denial quite so deeply as to claim that you are an exception to the rule? Just re-read your posts in this thread - it is abundantly clear that you are not.

The very idea you espouse here - that entertainment needs to be realistic, apparently because people (other than yourself, because you are unique and special, obviously) can't handle unrealistic entertainment without coming to believe that it is real - is a clear cut example.

You think you are special, because you are one of those elite humans for whom their emotional condition is subordinate to their reason. Well, I've got news for you - you are not special at all in that regard; NOBODY is. But LOTS of people think that they are. And when they look around, they see emotional wrecks everywhere, and feel oh so superior - because they never think to glance in the mirror.

You are the special case...just like so many similar cases jumping off bridges, taking overdoses of drugs, etc. There is a reason you are the way you are and it probably isn't a matter of choice for you. These movies are not the real issue. What is the real issue is emotional attachment to things of negative value, or little value. We need to stop this emotional dither and be rational. Star Wars is just some of that dither and the escapism is welcomed usually by people who are already emotional wrecks who feel superior...because they never think to glance in the mirror. They have a funny way of projecting that on others.:thinking:

You are the special case...just like so many similar cases jumping off bridges, taking overdoses of drugs, etc. There is a reason you are the way you are and it probably isn't a matter of choice for you. These movies are not the real issue. What is the real issue is emotional attachment to things of negative value, or little value. We need to stop this emotional dither and be rational. Star Wars is just some of that dither and the escapism is welcomed usually by people who are already emotional wrecks who feel superior...because they never think to glance in the mirror. They have a funny way of projecting that on others.:thinking:

:laughing-smiley-014

I just watched the new Star Wars on video last night. It shames me to know that one day I'm going to be lying on my death bed and realize that those were two hours I could have spent at the office being a productive citizen.

In stead, I just threw that time away being entertained by something I enjoyed. I'm not going to get that part of my life back. :(

Back
Top Bottom