• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Flat Earth Imbecile

I confess I'm having a hard time convincing myself these flat earthers are serious.

For every conspiracy theory, there is a que bono. Suppose that it were true that someone actually violated the laws of physics and created a car that runs on water. Who would benefit from suppressing it? Well, one obvious candidate for who benefits is the oil companies that would lose all their business if they were supplanted that way.

For a conspiracy theory to make any sense, someone has to be concerned with gaining or keeping power or money. Without that you lose a reason to keep something secret.

Well, he didn't kill himself. Didn't get high enough to see the curvature, though.

You can't actually get a rocket to go there, because in a vacuum, there's nothing for the propellant to push against. The moon landing and Mars probes were faked.

So many unsaved here!

You can't actually get a rocket to go there, because in a vacuum, there's nothing for the propellant to push against. The moon landing and Mars probes were faked.

So many unsaved here!

Vacuum? What vacuum? There can't be any such thing; Nature abhors a vacuum. Learn some science!!

The height he achieved is truly pathetic. Why doesn't he just get a plane ticket? He'd get much higher.

He got to 1875 feet. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to catch the lift going up the Burj Khalifa building in Dubai? That would have increased his altitude by up to 842 feet. The building is bound to have a viewing platform near its very top.

I watched an entire Flat Earth Convention for my research—here’s what I learned | Ars Technica "Shifts in who has power to spread information have led to a resurgence in fringe ideas."

The Internet is the world's biggest vanity press, and it shows. Harry T. Dyer watched videos from The Flat Earth Convention in Birmingham, UK.
Throughout the weekend, multiple competing models of Earth shapes were suggested, including “classic” flat Earth, domes, ice walls, diamonds, puddles with multiple worlds inside, and even the Earth as the inside of a giant cosmic egg. However, the discussion often did not revolve around the models on offer, but on broader issues of attitudes towards existing structures of knowledge, and the institutions that supported and presented these structures.

In the 21st century, we are witnessing another important shift in both power and knowledge due to factors that include the increased public platforms afforded by social media. Knowledge is no longer centrally controlled and—as has been pointed out in the wake of Brexit—the age of the expert may be passing. Now, everybody has the power to create and share content. When Michael Gove, a leading proponent of Brexit, proclaimed: “I think the people of this country have had enough of experts,” it would seem that he, in many ways, meant it.

Again, this theme occurred throughout the weekend. Flat-Earthers were encouraged to trust “poetry, freedom, passion, vividness, creativity, and yearning” over the more clinical regurgitation of established theories and facts. Attendees were told that “hope changes everything,” and warned against blindly trusting what they were told. This is a narrative echoed by some of the celebrities who have used their power to back flat-Earth beliefs, such as the musician B.O.B, who tweeted: “Don’t believe what I say, research what I say.”
Seems more like trolling to me.

Well, he didn't kill himself. Didn't get high enough to see the curvature, though.

Why insist on height to see curvature? Breadth of angle should suffice. I go to the beach many days and most of those days as I visually scan the horizon I become aware of curvature. A combination of height and angle would yield even better results. What bums me is disregard of ships disappearing, hull first, as they move away from the coast.

Yeah, probably already posted.

Why insist on height to see curvature? Breadth of angle should suffice. I go to the beach many days and most of those days as I visually scan the horizon I become aware of curvature. A combination of height and angle would yield even better results. What bums me is disregard of ships disappearing, hull first, as they move away from the coast.

Yeah, probably already posted.

The way ships disappear over the horizon is an informal observation of the phenomenon formalised in the  Bedford Level experiment. A certain amount of height (a couple of metres) is needed, to eliminate the atmospheric refraction effect when the observations are made within a half metre or less of the water's surface.

But there's little point in discussion of facts with people who are convinced that the Earth is flat.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF6SNxNIV08[/YOUTUBE]

Flat Earth Martyrdumb

Mad Mike is dead. Who killed him? No doubt it was all planned by deep state who controls the matrix and didn't want to be exposed.

What do you think a good epitaph might be?

Mad Mike is dead. Who killed him? No doubt it was all planned by deep state who controls the matrix and didn't want to be exposed.

What do you think a good epitaph might be?

"All this science I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week.
I'm a rocket maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"

I like how the TMZ headline says he is dead at 64, "Fatal Rocket Crash Landing," as if there is some other kind.

Back
Top Bottom