• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The giant space goat

Clearly these are all aspects of the one true goat. Belief in the FSM or in the celestial teapot is really belief in the Giant Space Goat, but the followers of those ideas have been misled from the true path.

There is only one Goat, and all religions follow him, even though they may not know it.
I'm still skeptical of your goat.
How does the universe evidence your goat?

By its very existence. The Goat created the universe, and everything you see is evidence of His glory. Unless you have closed your heart to Goat, it is obvious and unarguable.

If there isn't any goat bible then how is one to follow the teachings? Good lord some may be baarking up the wrong tree and praying to the wrong holey wildlife.

I would get into Goatism this second as a practicing member, but for one caveat: is there a Communion ritual, and if so, of what does the Communion wafer consist?

If there isn't any goat bible then how is one to follow the teachings? Good lord some may be baarking up the wrong tree and praying to the wrong holey wildlife.

The universe is evidence of the space goat because the space goat is real, but the universe is not evidence for Jesus because Jesus is not real.

Bibles are the work of the deceivers, and must not be heeded. The evil sheep are master deceivers and seek to turn people from the true path to the Giant Space Goat.

His Goatness appeared to me under a street light near a river.

Is there a Goat Priestess who can please explain the significance of my experience?

So much religious fervour in this thread. :slowclap:
I see the non-stamp collectors are in decline.

I'd much rather discuss the type of God/god that exists than whether God/god exists.

I'd much rather discuss the type of God/god that exists than whether God/god exists.

So you are in agreement that the Giant Space Goat is as plausible as your God?

That's great. I think so too!

They are equally real, equally plausible, and equally deserving of our reverence and worship.

So you are in agreement that the Giant Space Goat is as plausible as your God?

That's great. I think so too!

They are equally real, equally plausible, and equally deserving of our reverence and worship.
But he's still an AntiGoater. Why does he persecute us?

Nope.

I don't persecute my fellow theists.

4124173571_1b0ed73139_o.jpg

Nope.

I don't persecute my fellow theists.

View attachment 9777

No, you just use stupid and invalid analogies.

http://www.str.org/articles/the-trouble-with-the-elephant#.WJZmqDxknYU

The problem becomes obvious by offering this challenge. Ask, "Where would you be in the illustration? When you apply this parable to the issue of truth, are you like one of the blind men or are you like the king?"

This dilemma is unsolvable. If the story-teller is like one of the six who can't see--if he is one of the blind men groping around--how does he know everyone else is blind and has only a portion of the truth? On the other hand, if he fancies himself in the position of the king, how is it that he alone escapes the illusion that blinds the rest of us?

Greg Koukl mistakenly believes that one of the blind men in the image can be taken to be a Christian. And this is not necessarily the case.

Surprisingly, he (Koukl) neglects three things.

1. The image is viewable from the perspective of an onlooker - one who is neither blind nor God.

2. Christianity (biblical monotheism) holds that there is much about God which is unknown so there will be blind spots.

3. His own Christianity holds that there is only one true elephant which, since there is no other, must therefore be the one in the story.

The most important point about the story behind the image is atheism versus theism.

All of the men, despite their degree of blindness, agree that something exists.

But the worst form of blindness is that of the atheist who does not feel anything yet tells the blind men they are ALL wrong.

Greg Koukl mistakenly believes that one of the blind men in the image can be taken to be a Christian. And this is not necessarily the case.

Surprisingly, he (Koukl) neglects three things.

1. The image is viewable from the perspective of an onlooker - one who is neither blind nor God.
There can be no such onlooker. If the whole truth is available to anybody, then that person could tell the blind men, and they wouldn't disagree.
2. Christianity (biblical monotheism) holds that there is much about God which is unknown so there will be blind spots.
Which is a direct contradiction of your point 1 (above)
3. His own Christianity holds that there is only one true elephant which, since there is no other, must therefore be the one in the story.
And yet other religions have devotees with equal faith and certainty to that of Christians, which is the very issue this story is supposed to address.
The most important point about the story behind the image is atheism versus theism.

But the worst form of blindness is that of the atheist who does not feel anything yet tells the blind men they are ALL wrong.
Not at all.

The big problem for theists is "If my religion is the correct one, how can there be people with equal faith who believe in other, incompatible religions?"

This is impossible, as the correct religion, supported by God, would obviously completely destroy any false religions. But as none does, there must be something else going on.

The idea that all religions are different experiences of the same fundamental truth is a nice excuse for the fact that reality contradicts faith; but it only works if you avoid thinking too hard about it.

There cannot be an elephant. The core beliefs of different religions are mutually exclusive. Thor and Odin are not just a different way of looking at Jesus and Jehova. They are utterly different things, and both cannot be simultaneously true.

Christians are as certain that the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Shinto core beliefs are false as they are that atheism is false. If they were not, then Christianity would look radically different.

Christianity isn't the belief that some kind of mysterious supernatural 'thing', that could possibly be the Hindu pantheon, exists. Christianity requires belief in the divinity of Jesus; if that bit is missing from your beliefs, then whatever you are, you ain't a Christian. But Islam requires belief in Jesus as a mere prophet - the very possibility of his divinity contradicts the core message of Allah's unity and indivisibility. These are not views of different parts of the same larger mysterious elephant; they are incompatible positions regarding the exact same character.

The existence of the elephant is not only unknowable; it is demonstrably not the case. The atheist position that the elephant doesn't exist is the only one with evidentiary support.

No, you just use stupid and invalid analogies.

http://www.str.org/articles/the-trouble-with-the-elephant#.WJZmqDxknYU

The problem becomes obvious by offering this challenge. Ask, "Where would you be in the illustration? When you apply this parable to the issue of truth, are you like one of the blind men or are you like the king?"

This dilemma is unsolvable. If the story-teller is like one of the six who can't see--if he is one of the blind men groping around--how does he know everyone else is blind and has only a portion of the truth? On the other hand, if he fancies himself in the position of the king, how is it that he alone escapes the illusion that blinds the rest of us?

It took me forever to realize that Christians genuinely thought these stories counted as proof.

There can be no such onlooker. If the whole truth is available to anybody, then that person could tell the blind men, and they wouldn't disagree.
Which is a direct contradiction of your point 1 (above)
And yet other religions have devotees with equal faith and certainty to that of Christians, which is the very issue this story is supposed to address.

Not at all.

The big problem for theists is "If my religion is the correct one, how can there be people with equal faith who believe in other, incompatible religions?"

This is impossible, as the correct religion, supported by God, would obviously completely destroy any false religions. But as none does, there must be something else going on.

The idea that all religions are different experiences of the same fundamental truth is a nice excuse for the fact that reality contradicts faith; but it only works if you avoid thinking too hard about it.

There cannot be an elephant. The core beliefs of different religions are mutually exclusive. Thor and Odin are not just a different way of looking at Jesus and Jehova. They are utterly different things, and both cannot be simultaneously true.

Christians are as certain that the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Shinto core beliefs are false as they are that atheism is false. If they were not, then Christianity would look radically different.

Christianity isn't the belief that some kind of mysterious supernatural 'thing', that could possibly be the Hindu pantheon, exists. Christianity requires belief in the divinity of Jesus; if that bit is missing from your beliefs, then whatever you are, you ain't a Christian. But Islam requires belief in Jesus as a mere prophet - the very possibility of his divinity contradicts the core message of Allah's unity and indivisibility. These are not views of different parts of the same larger mysterious elephant; they are incompatible positions regarding the exact same character.

The existence of the elephant is not only unknowable; it is demonstrably not the case. The atheist position that the elephant doesn't exist is the only one with evidentiary support.
It's also not just about the elephant but about the infinite regress of observers and the observed. That's why everyone has their opinion of what constitutes any alleged religious spaceperson. Proof is that the jesus fable continues to be remade to this day.

I stopped believing in the giant space goat because I'm not a kid any more.

I stopped because my nanny told me it didn't exist.

Well, as the Giant Space Goat is the embodiment of forgiveness, love, compassion and benevolence, he will enjoy watching you both suffer for all eternity for your lack of faith, infidel scum.

Well, as the Giant Space Goat is the embodiment of forgiveness, love, compassion and benevolence, he will enjoy watching you both suffer for all eternity for your lack of faith, infidel scum.

What an asshole.

That's impossible; Did you miss the bit where I told you that "the Giant Space Goat is the embodiment of forgiveness, love, compassion and benevolence"? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom