• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

True. But exclusively “whatabout those Democrats” makes your “both houses” claim appear hypocritical.
I am not making exclusive claims. I am just correcting the misleading claims by the likes of Jimmy and Swammy.
Riiiight - everyone is grateful you are here to remind posters of the evil only Democrats do.

The vote spread between the two candidates is sufficiently large that there's no way mathematically that my vote makes a difference under either system.

You appear to be arguing that since the election is national, no one’s vote makes a difference. Because it’s virtually guaranteed to be at least a 2-point spread.

You also appear to be arguing that the only “difference” made in voting is who wins.

I argue that the spread of the vote matters - a lot - because the same person governing on a 1-point win will govern differently than on a 100,000 point spread.

So every vote matters, even while no individual vote will make a discernable claim to victory.

I keep thinking that there might be an election where my favored candidate wins by just one vote. I'd love for that to be my vote, but, with my luck, it would probably be some other voter's vote. It all depends on who would be the last person to cast a vote for my candidate on that day, so I'm wondering if I should try to vote very late in the day. Then I remembered that we all vote by mail in my state, so it seems hopeless. No matter what I do, my vote likely won't be the one that counts. :shrug:

Indeed. Exactly. There’s no way to cosider one particular vote to be the one that mattered, like, ever.

The fact that more people in Florida voted for Gore, but Bush was declared the winner, puts the lie to the idea that close run elections are decided by the small numbers of voters in the eventual declared margin of victory.

As with all large scale measuring efforts, there is always a margin of error; Even in the absence of bad actors, recounts typically lead to a different count than the original (indeed I cannot recall a single case where a recount didn't give different totals from the original count.

Indeed. The larger the spread, it makes a differenc eon whether there will be compolaints and even refusal to accept.

So every vote matters as it drives the acceptance of the result.

Any election where the result is close might as well be decided by a coin-toss. That's one reason why it would be far better to require a do-over if no candidate gets a supermajority, (say 60 or 65 percent of the vote) on a two candidate preferred basis. Instant run-off voting would allow this to be determined for ballots with any number of candidates; A two party system is not required.

If nobody can get a 2cp margin of 60%, then none of the candidates are popular enough to sensibly represent the constituency. At which point, you should go looking for some better candidates, rather than trying to choose between two equally unpopular options.

This would be an improvement in understanding voters wants and needs. I don’t need 60%, but ranked choice really helps to minimize the close races and make them only when the electorate is actually really closely divided. IN which case the lack of strong mandate is real and should be honored by humility in the winner.

So every vote matters as it drives the acceptance of the result.

That would normally be the case. But if the LOSER is Donald Trump, even his local suckers won’t go so far as to say that he (or they) will accept the results if he gets less than X% of the vote (or the electoral college).

Absent today are the voices of 2000. The mocking and ridicule, poo-pooling the idea that their mob boss would refuse to accept obvious defeat - all silent now, because they fully expect to lose, and make no mistake; they plan to try to help install Dear Leader regardless of electoral results. Destruction of democracy is no longer a horror to them, but their objective, per the instruction of Agent Orange.

There is no “race for 2024”; it will be a literal battle - again.

Trump's victory in South Carolina all but officially puts him as the GOP nominee for President in the 2024 election, less than 4 years since he incited a riot on January 6th at the US Capitol in a last ditch effort to steal an election he knows he didn't win, attempting to conspire with three state legislatures and at least one state Secretary of State.

He is on the verge of insolvency as he can't free up enough money to pay for appeals or judgments against him.

But it seems the more he is held accountable, the more his devotees become galvanized to stand behind him. The guy that accomplished little in the White House, other than rubber stamping a few judges and a massive corporate tax cut, and at least to his minor credit, didn't intercede in the government support to develop a vaccine (that was back when Covid-19 wasn't quite the political shitstorm the GOP was about to make it).

It's official. Ronna McRomney is stepping down as head of the RNC. Fuckface Von Clownstick has insisted that his daughter in law Lara - who has zero qualifications - be put in charge of the organization. She has said publicly that she will take "every penny" they have on hand or will raise and hand it over to her father in law's campaign...which I think is a terrific idea.

Not only is that throwing it into the "Donald J. Trump Slush Fund, Inc" and will be used to alleviate his own personal financial woes, but it will keep the money from going to the all-important down-ballot races. The RNC will become his personal piggy bank, and none of the other kids will get their lunch money. If the past is any guide, the RNC will be bankrupt in short order.

I support Lara Trump to be chair of the Republican National Committee.

So the dysfunctional Trump led state GOPs wasn't enough warning against doing this. If they put Lara Trump in charge, I'm not certain if the GOP collapses or our democracy does.

South Carolina Republican Primary Live Results: Trump Wins - The New York Times
  • Donald J. Trump - 451,905 - 59.8% - 47
  • Nikki Haley - 298,674 - 39.5% - 3
  • Ron DeSantis - 2,951 - 0.4%
  • Vivek Ramaswamy - 726 - 0.1%
  • Chris Christie - 657 - 0.1%
  • Ryan Binkley - 527 - 0.1%
  • David Stuckenberg - 360 - 0.0%
Even though she lost, Nikki Haley did better than what some polls had projected. So being a favorite daughter may have helped her a little bit.

On the Democratic side, Joe Biden got 96.2% of the votes and all 55 delegates, Marianne Williamson 2.1%, and Dean Phillips 1.7%.

Phillips says he’s open to being Haley VP on ‘unity ticket’ | The Hill
“I think it’s a conversation that Ambassador Haley and I should have, if that’s what this comes down to,” Phillips said in a Thursday interview on Minneapolis’s News Talk 830 WCCO, first highlighted by Mediaite.

Phillips said “in the event of a Donald Trump victory this November,” he thinks “any American who opposes that, should celebrate, encourage and inspire an alternative that can actually win and lead our country in the way that people want, and I think anybody, including myself, should keep open minds and hearts about that.”

“I hope Nikki Haley does, and I think America could be very well served by some type of a bipartisan ticket that restores faith in government and most importantly, demonstrates to the world — to the world — that America can work together and restore its extraordinary brand around the entire world,” Phillips said.
He seems like a younger versions of Joe Biden, dreaming of a Good Old Days of bipartisan comity.

Another one bites the dust.

Ryan Binkley drops out of GOP primary, endorses Trump
On his continuing after other candidates dropped out,
It came at a high cost. He loaned himself more than $10 million and only earned just more than 2,000 votes across the four early-state nominating contests. In New Hampshire and South Carolina, he came in behind candidates who had already dropped out.

On his way out, Binkley endorsed Trump, who is expected to secure yet another win in Michigan’s presidential primary on Tuesday.
noting
Ryan Binkley on X: "Today, I am suspending my campaign for the Presidency of the United States of America and offering my endorsement and unwavering support for President Trump. …" / X
Throughout my campaign, I have seen our party struggle to find a place for a new vision while weighing the corrupt allegations and indictments against President Trump. He will need everyone’s support, and he will have mine moving forward.
So he's become a full-on Trumpie.

Even though she lost, Nikki Haley did better than what some polls had projected. So being a favorite daughter may have helped her a little bit.

On the Democratic side, Joe Biden got 96.2% of the votes and all 55 delegates, Marianne Williamson 2.1%, and Dean Phillips 1.7%.

It's embarrassing for Trump that he only got 60%. Imagine if Biden were getting the numbers Trump is.

It's embarrassing for Trump that he only got 60%. Imagine if Biden were getting the numbers Trump is.
I have heard that LBJ quit because Mc Carthy got 40% in a primary. He felt he could not win if the party was that divided.

I have heard that LBJ quit because Mc Carthy got 40% in a primary. He felt he could not win if the party was that divided.

Bobby Kennedy jumped into the race after McCarthy's strong showing. LBJ also suffered from failing health and believed he would not live through a second term. Also, polling showed that he was too unpopular to compete any longer.

Back
Top Bottom