• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Wondering...
Has any previously elected president, when running again, ever selected a different VP from the one with whom he won previously?

Wondering...
Has any previously elected president, when running again, ever selected a different VP from the one with whom he won previously?

Probably quite a few. You could look it up. Abraham Lincoln certainly did. He dumped his flrst veep, Hannibal Hamlin, for the odious Andrew Johnson.

FDR changed veeps twice.
Quick lookup and I feel .. so IGNORANT!

"Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Richard Nixon switched vice presidents at some point during their presidency."

I know some weren't while running for a second term, but still...

Gerald Ford changed veeps from Rockefeller to Dole. FDR had three veeps over four terms, Garner, Wallace and Truman.

Lincoln tapped Andrew Johnson, a Democrat, in place of Hamlin because Johnson was a southern Democrat who did not become a Confederate traitor, and he hoped Johnson might lure some Democratic votes. Lincoln even changed the name of the Republican Party to the Union Party for the 1864 election. Johnson showed up drunk at Lincoln’’s (and his) inaugural. Reportedly when Lincoln was shot, he was found face down in the street, drunk. He was a sub-literate racist who as president violently resisted civil rights legislation and wound up getting his ass impeached by the so-called radical Republicans, though he was acquitted by one vote in the Senate. The only reason he opposed secession was because he hated the southern plantation aristocracy almost as much as he heated black people.

A presidential historian who has accurately predicted the result of nine of the last 10 elections implored Democratic Party leaders once again Monday not to dump President Biden after his catastrophic debate performance — and chastised members of the media for harping on his diminished cognitive acuity.

“They could not be more misguided,” American University history professor Allan Lichtman said on “CNN News Central” after having made the same assessment Friday night on the cable network.

“Remember, all the pundits, you know, watched Hillary Clinton win three debates in 2016,” Lichtman added. “They all said Trump was finished after ‘Access Hollywood.’ And they are so often wrong.”

The presidential prognosticator then waved away concerns about the 81-year-old president’s mental fitness.

“In terms of Biden’s capacities, I’m not a neurologist. They are not neurologists. They have no standing to comment on that,” Lichtman said before echoing the White House and top Democrats’ spin: “I would only say far better to judge Biden by three and three-quarter years or so of his presidency than 90 minutes.”

Wondering...
Grover Cleveland is the only president to serve non-consecutive terms. In his first term he had Aldai Stevenson and in his second Thomas Hendricks (who died in office and was not replaced).
Theodore Roosevelt unsuccessfully ran as a third party candidate in 1912 and had a different running mate. I do not know of any other presidents who tried.
In any case I do not see why, when running for a non-consecutive term rather than as an incumbent, the former president would not choose somebody else if that person is a better fit at the time. As others pointed out, many presidents switched veeps for different reasons, but at least when running for reelection one could see the value of continuity of the ticket and not change the running mate except for a good reason. When running for a non-consecutive term, that reason is no longer there.

Last edited:
60cc5e68-9931-4f40-972c-515f0e2d1952-Matt_Gaetz.jpg
99b03a7f-5392-4b71-bcf8-19b9432edbaa-medium16x9_AP22074531595247.jpg
Those can't be both the same guy. Right?

JD Vance, once the never Trump guy, who called him America's Hitler and America's heroin, among other things, now claims that Trump was one of the greatest presidents and admits he was wrong. Is he lying or does he really believe that shit?

My guess is that he craves power, just like Trump. Anyone else have a different opinion?

JD Vance, once the never Trump guy, who called him America's Hitler and America's heroin, among other things, now claims that Trump was one of the greatest presidents and admits he was wrong. Is he lying or does he really believe that shit?
Maybe he got hooked?
giphy.gif

My guess is that he craves power, just like Trump. Anyone else have a different opinion?
Additionally, I think he banks on the top of the ticket not being able to serve out his term. Kinda like Kamala.

Some choice quotes from J.D. Vance:

"Mr. Trump is unfit for our nation's highest office."

"People listen to what their political leaders are telling them, and my view is both that Trump is tapping into some racially ugly attitudes, but also that he is leading people to racially ugly attitudes."

"I don't think that 60-70 percent of working-class white voters would have supported a Muslim ban before Donald Trump said something about a Muslim ban."

"Trump's biggest failure as a political leader is that he sees the worst in people, and he encourages the worst in people."

"Hillbillies learn from an early age to deal with uncomfortable truths by avoiding them or by pretending better truths exist. This tendency might make for psychological resilience, but it also makes it hard for Appalachians to look at themselves honestly."

"Mr. Trump, like too much of the church, offers little more than an excuse to project complex problems onto simple villains. Yet the white working class needs neither more finger-pointing nor more fiery sermons."

These aren't the kind of opinions you get talked out of by rational argument. Vance is smart, very smart, and that is no doubt the sole virtue he credits with getting him out of Ohio and into the upper echelons of American power. He'll craft whatever new identities for himself that he needs to keep the train on the tracks.

Wondering...
Grover Cleveland is the only president to serve non-consecutive terms. In his first term he had Aldai Stevenson and in his second Thomas Hendricks (who died in office and was not replaced).
Theodore Roosevelt unsuccessfully ran as a third party candidate in 1912 and had a different running mate. I do not know of any other presidents who tried.

As listed above, many have switched veeps.

Back
Top Bottom