• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Well, if KH had refrained from calling young people stupid, she would have a much better chance. :)
While I don't recall that, if she did say that, the young people aren't holding it against her.

I hadn’t heard it. And I’d think that at the tender age of 74 I’d feel it if I was being targeted as stupid.
Sure, us youngsters are stupid, but I want to see the context and exactly how she said it. If it was directed at me, I’m gonna call RFK and volunteer for his campaign!
Source?
I'll see if I can find the clip. I've posted it here before. There is some context behind it, which sorta softens it a bit though.
If I was, say, 19 years old and heard her say something that came across as ageist and anti-youth, I’d be offended. What I would NOT be likely to do would be to throw in my lot with a 78 yr old felonious rapist/fraudster. In this situation I don’t think Harris is at much risk from correctly calling young people stupid.

Well, if KH had refrained from calling young people stupid, she would have a much better chance. :)
While I don't recall that, if she did say that, the young people aren't holding it against her.

I hadn’t heard it. And I’d think that at the tender age of 74 I’d feel it if I was being targeted as stupid.
Sure, us youngsters are stupid, but I want to see the context and exactly how she said it. If it was directed at me, I’m gonna call RFK and volunteer for his campaign!
Source?
I'll see if I can find the clip. I've posted it here before. There is some context behind it, which sorta softens it a bit though.

ETA: Here's the short version, out of context:

Here's the detailed explanation from Snopes"

Did Kamala Harris Say Young Voters Are 'Stupid'?

The Snopes explanation doesn't quite make sense, though. They claim she's referring to young criminals, but she uses words suggesting she's talking about college students (dormitories, resident assistants). Are there dorms and RA's in prison? Go figure.

From the clip it sounded pretty well received actually. Young Dems give a lot more leeway when it comes to self deprecation than they are credited for.

I believe they take themselves somewhat less seriously than young Republicans do.

Oddly enough, her loud laughing, which seems to show up almost everywhere, is not present here. She sounds scarily serious, TBH. :confused:

I don't think I really disagree with her assesment that much, though. For some reason, I have been thinking a lot lately from when I was that age, and while I was plenty book smart, I said and did some dumb things that make me seriously cringe now. I really have to stop thinking about those things or I'm going to lapse into a major depressive episode. :worried: At times, I even find myself hoping that those people who were present during my cringey displays will die off so that there are no more witnesses alive to remember it. :oops:

That decision is left up to congress
What decision? Congress already decided when they passed 14.3.
There was never a conviction or even a charged case against Jefferson Davis.

That is not correct. The traitor racist Davis was charged with treason, and his trial was scheduled to begin on Feb. 15, 1869. The previous year, the odious President Andrew Johnson had pardoned a whole mass of Confederates, and after that, the federal government stupidly declined to prosecute the traitor racist Davis and also the traitor racist Robert E. Lee and 36 other prominent traitors and racists besides.
Thanks - my bad, and sloppy to boot.
He was never CONVICTED (of anything afaik, which obviously ain’t that far, given my mistake above!)

At times, I even find myself hoping that those people who were present during my cringey displays will die off so that there are no more witnesses alive to remember it.
I just moved as far away as it is possible to go without leaving the planet.

I still cringe to think about some of my past stupid though.

Thanks - my bad, and sloppy to boot.
He was never CONVICTED (of anything afaik, which obviously ain’t that far, given my mistake above!)

Right, he was charged but the government declined to prosecute him and 37 other bigwig traitors, including Lee. Eight years later Reconstruction was dismantled by Republican President Rutherfraud B. Hayes, who lost the 1876 election to Democrat Tilden but managed to make a corrupt deal to win the office in exchange for withdrawing federal troops from the south and leaving the freed slaves to the tender mercies of the traitor class. Then came Jim Crow.

I have been thinking a lot lately from when I was that age, and while I was plenty book smart, I said and did some dumb things that make me seriously cringe now.
Tell me 'bout it!
We once cooked up a scheme to fraudulently purchase a bunch of lithium aluminum hydride from a chem supply house in SF, and to subsequently elude the FBI or other alphabet soup that we correctly assumed would be watching us. (ca. 1968). LAH is extremely volitile and highly restricted.
It wouldn't work today, being a simple trick with a couple of interference cars used to block off pursuit, one moderately fast but small sportscar (an Austin Healy) and a ready garage within a few minutes of the warehouse gate...
:oops: What were your plans for the LAH (asking for a friend)?

I didn't do criminal type stuff. Mostly just stuff related to being very socially awkward and naive back then.

Source?

The Snopes explanation doesn't quite make sense, though. They claim she's referring to young criminals, but she uses words suggesting she's talking about college students (dormitories, resident assistants). Are there dorms and RA's in prison? Go figure.

But you originally paraphrased the long version out of context, and that generated the talking point that the person who posted the short clip wanted. Having seen the video clip, people will take the out-of-context version as her saying that young people are stupid. In the context of the actual speech, she was making a wry comment, not one intended to be taken literally. Now, after you posted your original comment, you come back and show that the original remark wasn't intended quite the way it looks in the clip, but the meme is already out there. Some people will read that post and maybe skip over your contextualization of it. This is a good example of how social media can misinform us and distort the facts.

Source?

But you originally paraphrased the long version out of context, and that generated the talking point that the person who posted the short clip wanted. Having seen the video clip, people will take the out-of-context version as her saying that young people are stupid. In the context of the actual speech, she was making a wry comment, not one intended to be taken literally. Now, after you posted your original comment, you come back and show that the original remark wasn't intended quite the way it looks in the clip, but the meme is already out there. Some people will read that post and maybe skip over your contextualization of it. This is a good example of how social media can misinform us and distort the facts.

Honestly, I don't think knowing the context or seeing a longer clip really helps clarify things all that much, does it? Even with the context, it sounds like she is serious what she said about young people. Or maybe she just isn't great about delivering humor in her talks. And like I said, her mixing up young people in prison and young people in college is just...confusing. Honestly, the whole part of that speech is just sort of WTF. Do you understand who she's talking about and what she's trying to say?

I have been thinking a lot lately from when I was that age, and while I was plenty book smart, I said and did some dumb things that make me seriously cringe now.
Tell me 'bout it!
We once cooked up a scheme to fraudulently purchase a bunch of lithium aluminum hydride from a chem supply house in SF, and to subsequently elude the FBI or other alphabet soup that we correctly assumed would be watching us. (ca. 1968). LAH is extremely volitile and highly restricted.
It wouldn't work today, being a simple trick with a couple of interference cars used to block off pursuit, one moderately fast but small sportscar (an Austin Healy) and a ready garage within a few minutes of the warehouse gate...
There was a guy who had apprenticed to a guy in the East Bay, and a process that he had learned required it...
I didn't do criminal type stuff. Mostly just stuff related to being very socially awkward and naive back then.
Oh I had all that going, PLUS being an outlaw.
Never committed crimes with victims outside of said chemical supply house, (whom no 18-19 yr old worries too much about), but it has bothered me a little ever since. The worst was when I was about 13. My younger brother and I were walking in the woods NE of Montecito CA, found a place right uphill from our house that was all dug up with ditches and there were little stakes and string everywhere and the trees all cut down for like fifty feet around.. I think we felt a little bit violated because that was always just woods where we walked the dogs and stuff. So we decided to prank them.
We moved some stakes a few inches this way and that way, figuring that would probably inconvenience them in some way - we had no idea wtf was going on there other than someone must have been planning something.
Anyhow - they poured on it.
And raised hell, came after everyone on the hill about it... scared me to death. But my mother denied knowing anything, and had the wisdom not to even ask us - I think the cost of tearing out that whole foundation and re-pouring it was probably around five grand which was real money in 1963, and it would have impacted our family at that time.

As far as physical risks... the STUPIDEST ones I ever took were when I was a few years younger than voting age.
LOTS of STUPID. Much of it in the ocean, some in the Everglades.
I have second thoughts thinking about it now, about letting 18 yr olds vote! ;)

Do you understand who she's talking about and what she's trying to say?
No. Not really curious either, beyond who was she talking to? I assume it wasn't Young Democrats of America ... but if it was, the positive reaction would make more sense.

Tell me 'bout it!
There was a guy who had apprenticed to a guy in the East Bay, and a process that he had learned required it...
Oh I had all that going, PLUS being an outlaw.
Never committed crimes with victims outside of said chemical supply house, (whom no 18-19 yr old worries too much about), but it has bothered me a little ever since. The worst was when I was about 13. My younger brother and I were walking in the woods NE of Montecito CA, found a place right uphill from our house that was all dug up with ditches and there were little stakes and string everywhere and the trees all cut down for like fifty feet around.. I think we felt a little bit violated because that was always just woods where we walked the dogs and stuff. So we decided to prank them.
We moved some stakes a few inches this way and that way, figuring that would probably inconvenience them in some way - we had no idea wtf was going on there other than someone must have been planning something.
Anyhow - they poured on it.
And raised hell, came after everyone on the hill about it... scared me to death. But my mother denied knowing anything, and had the wisdom not to even ask us - I think the cost of tearing out that whole foundation and re-pouring it was probably around five grand which was real money in 1963, and it would have impacted our family at that time.

As far as physical risks... the STUPIDEST ones I ever took were when I was a few years younger than voting age.
LOTS of STUPID. Much of it in the ocean, some in the Everglades.
I have second thoughts thinking about it now, about letting 18 yr olds vote! ;)
Holy crap about moving the stakes! Damn...so you never got caught?! Actually, I do remember stealing some boards and nails from a construction site with my friend when I was about 13. One time, we needed a couple of extra long 2x4's for a tree house project, so we took a couple of 12'ers and rode our bikes about 3 miles home, with my friend holding one end and me the other end, while riding our bikes.

Today I received a letter from "Donald J. Trump - President of the United States" and the 'Trump National Committee'. Mailed from Uppr Chester, PA 19014. (A suburb of Philly)
It contained a "MAGA Victory Survey" and a plea for money of course.
Some Questions include: (I have shortened/reworded to simplify typing)
1) Who do you think should set US policy?
[] President Trump (always President Trump throughout) [] Biden [] Deep State
2) Rank the following priorities by importance, 1 to 5.
__ Re-electing Trump
__ Expanding GOP House Majority
__ Regaining GOP control of the Senate
__ Electing more Republican governors
(Does the rank really matter?)
4) Do you agree that Dem. witch hunts of Trump, because they can't beat him in the election, have gone too far?
[] Yes [] No [] undecided
14) Has the media been truthful in it's reporting on Trump?
[] Yes [] No [] undecided
17) Will you support the Trump National Committee's efforts to ... (yadda, yadda)
[] Yes, please accept my donation of
..[] $2,024 [] $1,000 [] $500 [] $250 [] $100 [] $47 [] Other
[] No, I want the democrats to take over the White House. (ignoring that the Democrats are already in the WH)
[] Not at the suggested levels at this time. Enclosed is $15 to cover the cost of processing my survey.
(It was serially numbered with my name & address printed on it, and a bar code. So it was totally traceable.)
The fine print says 90% of the donation goes to "the Trump National Committee". Divided between the 'primary election account', the 'general election account', and the 'recount account'.
10% goes to the Republican National Committee. Max $413k, @ $150k per year.

You can tell how serious Trump is taking Harris by the level of personal insult and attack.

Now she is a Marxist. Making fun of her first name. Going back to saying 'Barack HUSSEIN Obama.'

Barack HUSSEIN Obama supports Harris.

Source?

Honestly, I don't think knowing the context or seeing a longer clip really helps clarify things all that much, does it? Even with the context, it sounds like she is serious what she said about young people. Or maybe she just isn't great about delivering humor in her talks. And like I said, her mixing up young people in prison and young people in college is just...confusing. Honestly, the whole part of that speech is just sort of WTF. Do you understand who she's talking about and what she's trying to say?

I disagree. If you listen to a longer segment, it becomes clear that she was speaking tongue in cheek and that she was definitely not "mixing up young people in prison and young people in college" except in a joking fashion. Everyone in the room was laughing, but the 20 second clip didn't provide enough context to explain why everyone was laughing. You may be confused, but that's because you originally took the meme seriously and discovered the context later. You didn't clip it out of context yourself. You passed along a meme that someone had purposely constructed to be misleading. It is to your credit that you started to walk it back after you looked into it more closely.

Don't forget, you think OK is a white power symbol because 4chan told you so.
Nope. Never said that. I did say context and nuance matters though. I'm sorry that's so difficult for you.

But here's a thought! I know you ain't white boi. So why don't'cha give Trump a hand and fill out this booth? But me calling it out is the patronizing part, right?

I look forward to you explaining why what I posted is less offensive to the picture I tagged. Dinesh D'Souza also wants to know.

Back
Top Bottom