• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Donald Trump's campaign strategy: More Trump, more media attention

Maggie Haberman: Donald Trump's campaign strategy 'all over the place’
Republicans have also expressed concerns about Trump’s focus, pleading with the former president to highlight policy differences with Harris and sling fewer personal insults.

Trump has recently scrutinized the vice president on her racial identity, attacked her mental fitness and suggested that her rise to the top of the Democratic ticket was “unconstitutional.”
'Angry' Donald Trump Fumes At New York Times Over Reporting On His Helicopter Story
noting
Truth Details | Truth Social
Two Failing New York Times “reporters” questioned my story about a forced landing of a helicopter, in a field, with former Mayor of San Francisco, Willie Brown, and others. First of all, it was in New Jersey, not California, and it was Willie Brown, not former Governor Jerry Brown. So far they are about as accurate as they are with their other stories about me. At least when I became President, the NYT apologized to their readers for their REALLY BAD REPORTING ON THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE. They’ll probably have to do that again, much as Maggot Hagermann should apologize for her Fake & Fraudulent writing on the Russia, Russia, Russia HOAX, along with many other of her poorly written and badly researched stories. In an article dated April 15, 2011, “His Willieness dishes about his good buddy Donald Trump. I remember one time Trump sent his private jet to Boston to pick me up.” He’s just angling for another ride in Trump’s jet (helicopter!). But now Willie doesn’t remember? No, he remembers!
"Maggot" is New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.
Also,
Truth Details | Truth Social
In the FAKE NEWS story done by the Failing New York Times on Willie Brown and his little helicopter ride with me many years ago, there were “Logs,” Maintenance Records, and Witnesses. There was also a story on “Willie and Me.” Why can’t the Radical Left Failing New York Times write accurately, and fairly, on me - See following TRUTH! I only have one major goal in life, and that is to, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Wouldn’t that be a good thing for the New York Times. Think of it, THEY COULD BE GREAT AGAIN!

How many elections has the EC won for democrats? IOW, how many times has the dems lost the popular vote but won the white house?
That doesn’t happen. At least not for 200 years. In 1824 JQ Adams got the presidency without winning the popular vote or the EC. No candidate got a majority, it went to the House and they appointed JQA.
Since then no Dem has won without the popular vote.

Geoff Duncan urges more Republican support for Kamala Harris
Former Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan (R) pushed for more Republicans to support Vice President Harris, arguing in a Tuesday interview that it was perfectly acceptable for those in the GOP to back her even though she’s a Democrat.

“I think it’s important to reinforce the fact to Republicans around the country that just because you vote for Kamala Harris in 2024, doesn’t mean you’re Democrat,” Duncan told CNN anchor Jim Acosta on “Laura Coates Live.”
Republicans line up to support Ruben Gallego and Kamala Harris - "As prominent GOP officials endorse Democrats, polling shows Kari Lake and Donald Trump are hemorrhaging Republican support"
When she was running for governor in 2022, Kari Lake told Arizona Republicans who liked the late John McCain to “get the hell out,” and some of them took that to heart.

Those Republicans haven’t necessarily left the GOP, but dozens of them are backing Democratic candidates Vice President Kamala Harris and Congressman Ruben Gallego in the November election.
Then about KL's election denying.
So far, Lake’s strategy has only proved successful in primaries, which typically draw out the most devoted in each party. After winning her primary against Sheriff Mark Lamb by only 16 percentage points, a much smaller margin than expected, a recent poll from HighGround Public Affairs shows Gallego up a whopping 11 points, with nearly 50% of voters saying they would back Gallego to Lake’s 39%.

Donald Trump's campaign strategy: More Trump, more media attention

Maggie Haberman: Donald Trump's campaign strategy 'all over the place’
Republicans have also expressed concerns about Trump’s focus, pleading with the former president to highlight policy differences with Harris and sling fewer personal insults.

Trump has recently scrutinized the vice president on her racial identity, attacked her mental fitness and suggested that her rise to the top of the Democratic ticket was “unconstitutional.”
Funny, GOP wishes one-trick pony would do some other trick.

A possible October surprise? Biden resigns and Harris becomes president
Presumably to reinvigorate KH's campaign.

Frank Luntz says Donald Trump is 'committing political suicide' - he is a longtime Republican pollster

Donald Trump, Elon Musk conversation on X: 5 takeaways
The former president’s chat with Musk frequently resembled one of his rallies, as Trump rambled often, attacked Harris and Biden as “incompetent” and repeated many of the same anecdotes he tells at campaign events.

But he also managed to focus on issues, inflation in particular, and avoided making the type of inflammatory, controversial comments that have plagued his recent public appearances.

“The election is coming up, and people want to hear about the economy. Food prices are up … and this stupid administration allowed this to happen,” Trump said. “And it’s a shame. And that’s the thing people most care about, in my opinion.”

The former president attacked Harris as a “San Francisco liberal” who had changed her tune on issues such as fracking and defunding the police. He argued Harris would revert to more liberal stances if she is elected in November.

But she plans to do something about that.
Kamala Harris to call for federal ban on price-gouging Friday
Harris will deliver remarks in North Carolina, a battleground state where her campaign said she will focus on plans to lower the cost of groceries. The vice president will say that soaring meat prices in particular have contributed to a spike in grocery bills, and she will call out corporate consolidation in the market.

The Harris campaign said the vice president will outline a plan for her first 100 days in office if elected that would lay out a federal ban on price gouging, making clear that large companies can’t exploit consumers to increase profits.

She will call for the Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general to investigate corporations that break such rules, and she will push for increased support for small businesses that can break into the market and compete against major meat processors.

In addition, Harris will say her administration would crack down on unfair mergers and acquisitions that further consolidate the market, giving a small number of corporations the ability to increase prices.

Also “AdamWho” (did I get the poster’s handle wrong?) predicted months ago that neither Trump nor Biden would end up in the race on Election Day. I can see numerous scenarios whereby that could end up being the case, but I still don’t consider any of them probable.
I predicted it. And that Trump's greatest threat was from the far right.

I don't think Trump will drop out voluntarily.... but maybe one of the Stormtroopers can try again.

Or any other Constitutional amendment, for that matter.
There's no constitutional amendment required.
State legislatures representing a winning number of EC delegates deciding to send delegates to vote for the Will of the People is sufficient.
Hardly ideal, but way better than what we've got now.
Tom

National Popular Vote - if enough states support this initiative, then they will give their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote.
This is really not difficult.

Certainly not "Constitutional Amendment" level difficult.
How's the ERA going?

The big problem with national popular vote is the same as always. States with small populations have enormously outsized power in the EC.

I forget the details. But I remember the point.
The smallest 7 states that went Trump in 2016 had the same EC delegates as the entire state of California. While barely having the combined population equal to Los Angeles.
Tom

I forget the details. But I remember the point.
The smallest 7 states that went Trump in 2016 had the same EC delegates as the entire state of California. While barely having the combined population equal to Los Angeles.
Tom
The 7 smallest states that went for Trump - Wyoming, both Dakotas, Montana, Alaska, Idaho and West Virginia - had combined 24 EVs. California had 55. So that's bogus right there.

While EC does give a modest advantage to smaller states, the real problem with EC is that most states - small and large - do not really matter as they are safe one way or the other. The real race happens in a handful of "battleground states".

Speaking of Trump's X interview ...
GU9wfoobQAANOvu.jpg

The Hill said:
The former president attacked Harris as a “San Francisco liberal” who had changed her tune on issues such as fracking and defunding the police. He argued Harris would revert to more liberal stances if she is elected in November.
He definitely has her number here - she has embraced some whacko lefty positions during her 2019 run. I am afraid of her reverting to these policies too, especially since she chose fauxgressives' darling Walz as her running mate instead of somebody moderate like Shapiro.
back to lpetrich said:
Price controls are a dumb way to fight inflation, as the boligarchs in Venezuela found out.

What is often called "price gouging" is just price discovery. Even in emergencies it is better to let prices rise to reestablish equilibrium rather than keep them artificially low and encourage hoarding and black market selling.
sub-buzz-7026-1620825759-2.png

Had prices at the pump been allowed to rise freely, to say 2x or 3x the previous level, it would not make sense to fill what looks like a 300 gal tank.

Last edited:
I mean I supported Bernie, but Hillary would've won if not for the Electoral College (which we need to get rid of).
You don't know that. If we had a popular vote system both campaigns would have been run completely differently and the popular vote numbers would have been different.

Also, what do you propose we do if no candidate gets majority (note, Hillary did not get majority of the popular vote)? Plurality like in Congress? That would still be a poor system plagued by spoiler effects. Some instant runoff scheme? Or a proper runoff like in France? These alternatives may have given us different winners.

So you can't say that Hillary would have won but for EC.

Banning price gouging (whatever in the world that means in practice) is not identical to price controls.
It's government telling market participants what prices they may charge. How is that not a form of a price control?
I think it is a sign of intelligence to avoid going on the site formerly known as Twitter,
It's a cartoon. There are many well-regarded journalists she can sit down and have an interview with.

Banning price gouging (whatever in the world that means in practice) is not identical to price controls.
It's government telling market participants what prices they may charge. How is that not a form of a price control?
Depends on the form. We don’t know what “banning price gouging” in practice means. It may mean mandating prices. It may mean limits on the rate and frequency of price changes. It may mean punishing fines based on profits. Or something else.

Derec said:
It's a cartoon. There are many well-regarded journalists she can sit down and have an interview with.
IMO Twitter is for twits even after its name change.

Back
Top Bottom