• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Trump’s Crucial Power Has Been Neutralized - POLITICO
If you’re compiling a list of the head-spinning, gob-smacking, I’ve-never-seen-this-before events of the 2024 campaign, here’s one more potentially decisive factor to add: A sitting vice president has become the “change” candidate.
Then noting that it's hard for VP's to put much distance between themselves and their bosses.
But this time, the sudden elevation of Kamala Harris, along with the identity and character of her opponent, has — for now at least — made her the candidate who embodies change, no matter how little her policies differ from the current president. That this happened by accident rather than design does not make it any less potent as a political asset.

And worst of all for Donald Trump, it deprives him of one his greatest powers. Trump rode to the presidency in 2016 on a promise to smash the status quo. Now he faces credible charges that he represents the past — and there’s a telegenic, younger contender eager to make that case.
What made Donald Trump the candidate of change back in 2016? Why not Hillary Clinton?

Her defenders point out that she would have been the first female President, but that seems to have been the limit of her pathbreaking. She is a very establishment Democrat.
  • 1947: Born
  • 1973: Graduated from Yale Law School
  • 1978: Bill Clinton elected governor of Arkansas (lost 1980, won 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)
  • 1992: Bill Clinton elected US President (won 1996)
  • 2000: Elected New York Senator (won 2006)
  • 2008: Ran for President, losing in the primaries
  • 2009: Appointed Secretary of State (quit 2013)
She was also busy with a lot of legal and administrative work in her earlier years.
By contrast, Trump represented nothing but change. He lacked every quality usually associated with the presidency: Ignorant of history, a life solely devoted to personal aggrandizement, famous as a figure on the gossip pages and as a reality TV star. But in a time when large numbers of citizens felt aggrieved by the failures of government to protect their lives and fortunes, the very aspects of Trump that seemed like bugs were more like features. No experience in government? Look what the experts did! A rhetoric of insult and vulgarity? About time someone spoke in plain English!

Clearly, whatever else Trump was, a vote for him would be a vote for a president as different as imaginable. There’s something appealing and empowering about that.
But this time around, he would not be a candidate of change but a candidate of restoration, one who never tires of moaning and groaning that the previous election was stolen from him.

Joe Biden seemed feeble and his approval ratings were low, and Democrats were resigned to the likelihood of him losing the election. "Amid a rising pressure campaign and worsening polls, the president yielded and stepped down from his reelection bid."

Then,
Within a matter of two weeks, voters now faced a reality that had previously seemed impossible: “You don’t want to vote for Biden or Trump? Now you don’t have to! You want change? Here she is!” The flood of money, volunteers and crowds toward Harris testifies to the power of that sentiment.

Harris and her fledgling campaign also seem well aware of the changed dynamic of the race as well as how powerful it can be to signal forward progress: “We’re not going back” has quickly become a mantra for Harris on the trail, with the audience chanting it in response. It’s a way to talk not just about the attack on abortion rights but so much else about the Trump era and the failures of the past.

One sign of discontent was the success of Ralph Nader's Green-Party candidacy. I've seen estimates that his voters were about 2/3 Democratic and 1/3 Republican, so if he wasn't in that race, then Al Gore would have gotten larger margins, enough to convincingly win in Florida.
I don't want to turn this into a derail but Gore actually won Florida.
True, but we learned of that outcome too late to make much difference.

Hillary had been a project for the Republican defamation machine for decades. She reeked of establishment.
Bernie would have won in 2016.

One sign of discontent was the success of Ralph Nader's Green-Party candidacy. I've seen estimates that his voters were about 2/3 Democratic and 1/3 Republican, so if he wasn't in that race, then Al Gore would have gotten larger margins, enough to convincingly win in Florida.

Hillary had been a project for the Republican defamation machine for decades. She reeked of establishment.

I mean I supported Bernie, but Hillary would've won if not for the Electoral College (which we need to get rid of).

I mean I supported Bernie, but Hillary would've won if not for the Electoral College (which we need to get rid of).
A cabbage would have won the popular vote against Trump. That and $4 gets you a latté. I really REALLY didn’t like Hillary or a lot of the people I saw caucusing for her. That, despite her amazing early record and obvious smarts. But I voted for her because I already knew that any random person would be virtually guaranteed to be a better president than Agent Orange.

BTW, tampons and pads are great at stopping blood flow and are terrific to have in any first aid kit.
Good at absorbing it. Not so good at stopping it. If you need to stop it you need clotting stuff or a pressure bandage.
Depending on the situation and wound site and type, a tampon or sanitary napkin could both put on pressure and absorb the flow of blood. Otherwise a simple bandage could hold the absorbent material in place while the blood clots.

I realize you think you are an expert about a lot of things but not only do I actually know what I’m talking about because of training I’ve received ( and performed) but other posters have pointed out that tampons are often included in emergency kits of soldiers who are deployed in combat zones.
I've seen many things saying that the standard advice about using them for bleeding control is wrong.

BTW, I checked the Stop The Bleed website. It says to pack with any clean cloth and apply pressure.

Last edited:
BTW, tampons and pads are great at stopping blood flow and are terrific to have in any first aid kit.
Good at absorbing it. Not so good at stopping it. If you need to stop it you need clotting stuff or a pressure bandage.
Depending on the situation and wound site and type, a tampon or sanitary napkin could both put on pressure and absorb the flow of blood. Otherwise a simple bandage could hold the absorbent material in place while the blood clots.

I realize you think you are an expert about a lot of things but not only do I actually know what I’m talking about because of training I’ve received ( and performed) but other posters have pointed out that tampons are often included in emergency kits of soldiers who are deployed in combat zones.
I've seen many things saying that the standard advice about using them for bleeding control is wrong.

BTW, I checked the Stop The Bleed website. It says to pack with any clean cloth and apply pressure.
Sigh.

Tampons come individually packaged and are clean. They are clean, inexpensive and readily available.

Depending on the wound, they might need to be bandaged on or inside the wound. Tampons expand in width as they absorb blood. For some wounds, such as some punctures, they might sufficiently provide pressure.

Yea, and HRC got more popular votes than Bernie did. Millions more. A mid-west type of Bernie Sanders may have won in 2016. But a Bernie from the NE with fewer popular support would have lost unfortunately. The EC puts dems at great disadvantage. I hate it.

This has to be the most racist campaign promotion I've seen a a very long time.

View attachment 47220

They deleted it quickly. But not quick enough.

Who's using identity politics now?

This has to be the most racist campaign promotion I've seen a a very long time.

View attachment 47220

They deleted it quickly. But not quick enough.

Who's using identity politics now?
They always bring up race. It is a generalized fallacy used by many to hyperbolize accusations almost from the start. The alt-right love to bring race up all the time. And why in the heck is a professional troll being interviewed on a radio program any way? Scaramucci unavailable?

Every four years, a bid to overturn or reform the Electoral College dies at the desks of the Party that just won an election with it. It is a little game we play.

Every four years, a bid to overturn or reform the Electoral College dies at the desks of the Party that just won an election with it. It is a little game we play.

How many elections has the EC won for democrats? IOW, how many times has the dems lost the popular vote but won the white house?

How many elections has the EC won for democrats? IOW, how many times has the dems lost the popular vote but won the white house?
Technically true, but the Democrats are stupid. How many of them support electoral reform?

Technically true, but the Democrats are stupid. How many of them support electoral reform?

Here's a good link for this:

81% of dems want change.

Or any other Constitutional amendment, for that matter.

Here's a good link for this:

81% of dems want change.
19% short of what they need to make it happen, even if they all wanted the same change.

Donald Trump needs someone to tell him the truth: He’s losing
He needs his friends and political allies to lock him in a room, sit him down, look him in the eye and tell him that if he doesn’t change his ways, he’s probably going to lose in November.

They need to tell him that he’s been lucky in the past, but he can’t count on luck to carry him over the finish line once again. They need to remind him about how lucky he was in 2016, when he had the good fortune to run against a candidate many Americans saw as even less likable than Trump himself.

They need to remind him that in 2024 he got lucky again — when it looked like he would run against a diminished Joe Biden, who came off as feeble in that disastrous presidential debate.

But when Biden dropped out, Trump’s luck may have run out.
Kamala Harris is much more vigorous than Joe Biden, and she makes Donald Trump seem very old.
Trump’s political friends, along with his pals who slobber all over him on conservative cable television, need to tell him that calling Kamala Harris “crazy” … and a “bum” … and “low IQ” … and “lyin’ Kamala Harris” — and now behaving as if he’s still in third grade by calling her “Kamabla” — may go over with supporters who are entertained by childish name-calling. But suburban women and college-educated moderate voters in general — the ones who likely will decide the presidential election — aren’t laughing.
"Kamabla" is from the one who gave us "Low Energy Jeb", "Little Marco", "Lyin' Ted", "Coco Chow", "Broken Old Crow", "Nervous Nancy", "Shifty Schiff", "Cryin' Chuck", "Pocahontas", "Peekaboo", and "Sleepy Joe" --  List of nicknames used by Donald Trump

Back
Top Bottom