• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Like what happened in 2016. "Everybody" knew that Clinton would win and so millions of voters stayed home
You won't let me forget that, will you. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I won't screw-up again.

Re. 2 stairwells:
It means larger lots are required.
So what? And that is not a block to 'affordable housing'.
Corporate landlords just don't want 'affordable housing' unless it's subsidized by the government. Block size buildings, and multi-stories, are easier to manage and make more profit than 10 smaller buildings on the same land. A hallway does not limit you to one-room apartments. Greed does.
I suspect the 'new' small footprint, one stairwell, buildings in the vid were not 'affordable housing'.

What ever happened to buildings with a central airshaft?
I know of one old house locally, 2 stores, 4 multi BR apartments, no 'stairwell' (each 2nd floor apt has it's own stairs to front porch), central airshaft, 'affordable' neighborhood.

And the attempts to keep Trump on message continue to fail miserably:

Link

The real meat in the story is in the middle...

Trump’s campaign sent out a set of prepared remarks for the candidate before he spoke, indicating that he would be asking “for the DEATH PENALTY for child rapists and child traffickers,” according to a social media post from NOTUS reporter Reese Gorman. In the advance excerpts, Trump also called for making “a felony for any medical professional to perform surgery on a minor without parental consent,” part of the larger GOP war against gender-affirming care for minors.

But Trump never actually delivered those prepared remarks on Tuesday, and his campaign didn’t explain why.

...he veered from criticizing Harris’ appearance to complaining about President Joe Biden’s decision to leave the 2024 race, and he railed about the supposed topic of the speech, crime in America.
“You can’t run across the street to get a loaf of bread, you get shot,” Trump said. “We have to bring back our cities. People are fleeing the cities of our country.”

They gave him a script. Did he actually read it? Apparently not...

Jason isn't a Republican. He just likes to repeatedly point out, from his pedestal, that the Democrats aren't perfect.

I'm certain that Jason thinks the GOP appointed justices were very wrong in saying the President is effectively immune from prosecution. He just doesn't have any fun in saying it.
Much to my surprise, the one person who understands my post is Jimmy. Well, he's more reasonable than many of the more extreme around here.

Yes, as much as I think the SCOTUS was wrong to give Trump immunity, it makes no impact around here. I save that for the "right-wing" forums I participate in.

Jason isn't a Republican. He just likes to repeatedly point out, from his pedestal, that the Democrats aren't perfect.

I'm certain that Jason thinks the GOP appointed justices were very wrong in saying the President is effectively immune from prosecution. He just doesn't have any fun in saying it.
Much to my surprise, the one person who understands my post is Jimmy. Well, he's more reasonable than many of the more extreme around here.

Yes, as much as I think the SCOTUS was wrong to give Trump immunity, it makes no impact around here. I save that for the "right-wing" forums I participate in.
That is 100% plausible.

Much to my surprise, the one person who understands my post is Jimmy.
It didn't require knowing your position on something. So that wasn't too hard to suss out.
Yes, as much as I think the SCOTUS was wrong to give Trump all Presidents widespread immunity, it makes no impact around here. I save that for the "right-wing" forums I participate in.
Yes, thank you for playing the role of Norman Thomas for us.

And the attempts to keep Trump on message continue to fail miserably:

Link

The real meat in the story is in the middle...

Trump’s campaign sent out a set of prepared remarks for the candidate before he spoke, indicating that he would be asking “for the DEATH PENALTY for child rapists and child traffickers,” according to a social media post from NOTUS reporter Reese Gorman. In the advance excerpts, Trump also called for making “a felony for any medical professional to perform surgery on a minor without parental consent,” part of the larger GOP war against gender-affirming care for minors.

But Trump never actually delivered those prepared remarks on Tuesday, and his campaign didn’t explain why.

...he veered from criticizing Harris’ appearance to complaining about President Joe Biden’s decision to leave the 2024 race, and he railed about the supposed topic of the speech, crime in America.
“You can’t run across the street to get a loaf of bread, you get shot,” Trump said. “We have to bring back our cities. People are fleeing the cities of our country.”

They gave him a script. Did he actually read it? Apparently not...
Trump doesn't read. How his campaign keeps missing that point is great!

Some aggregate polls - Trump vs Harris
As of 8-21-2024

538 Harris +2.9%
The Hill Harris +3.0%
Real Clear Politics Harris +1.5%

View such numbers with great caution. They need to rise further over the next 11 weeks.

In 2016 Hillary led by +4.0 in the nationwide polls during the final week before the election; but won the popular vote by only +2.1, not enough to win the Electoral vote.

In 2020 Biden led by +8.0 in the nationwide polls during the final week before the election; but won the popular vote by only +4.5, barely enough to win the Electoral vote.

Reapportionment after the 2020 census has (slightly) exacerbated the Red advantage built into the Electoral College system. Harris may need a 3% advantage in the popular vote on November 5 to get a 50:50 chance at the Electoral win.

What about the differential between last polls and the Election Day popular vote? Hillary lost 1.9 points there, and Biden a whopping 3.5. I think this is because Trump supporters were enthusiastic (likely to actually vote) while many Democrats stayed home. I hope this reverses in 2024! The D's seem very enthusiastic now that Harris-Walz is their ticket, while many R's are becoming disgusted with their mascot.

Anyway, do NOT get optimistic about polls showing a 2.5% (ballpark) advantage for Harris. Much more than that is needed to be confident of victory. This is especially true since R's in swing states are planning to cheat in multiple ways. The D's will prevail ONLY with great turn-out, and undeniable popular vote advantage.

Fact check: that was Texas's roll call at DNC, not West Virginia. West Virginia got John Denver of course.

I'll be glad when this convention is over, it seems to have intensified the political spam I keep getting, beyond the already irritating Pale to which it had already attained. I'm not giving them a dime, and I never have; who keeps giving them all my number and email?

many R's are becoming disgusted with their mascot.
I hope that perception is accurate.
I’ve noticed a few trumpsuckers who have become even more militant about their idiocy; like a cornered animal, they lash out mindlessly, and get cheers from their brethren. But most have kinda gone dark. I don’t think many, if any, have changed their minds, they’re just over the brouhaha but will probably vote Trump again.
Hopefully enough of them have truly lost interest in the fat orange idiot, to keep them home.

I'll be glad when this convention is over, it seems to have intensified the political spam I keep getting, beyond the already irritating Pale to which it had already attained. I'm not giving them a dime, and I never have; who keeps giving them all my number and email?

Have you ever voted in a primary? There are probably lots of databases for sale that contain profiles of your politics, contact details, and other personal information so that you can be targeted for advertising and contributions.

I used to use Angie's list and made the mistake of visiting Angi's list (new name and under new management) requesting information about the cost of a shower stall a few months ago. They recently generated a fake request for a quote and sent it to every single contractor within 100 miles of my home address. The contractors pay money to receive such requests, so I have been receiving phone calls, sometimes several per day, from all of those contractors over the past three weeks. I reported Angi's list to the FTC, and they'll file away the complaint somewhere. BTW, I'm on the government "Do not call" list, but there are enough loopholes in that list to make it rival Swiss cheese. Political spammers are specifically exempted from the restriction, because politicians want your money just as much as everybody else.

Have you ever voted in a primary? There are probably lots of databases for sale that contain profiles of your politics, contact details, and other personal information so that you can be targeted for advertising and contributions.
I know it. It's the sense of entitlement that irks me. They already have my (reluctant) vote, but that doesn't mean I'm volunteering to fund their cabal. Let alone MEET OUR GOAL BY MIDNIGHT THE STAKES HAVE NEVER BEEN HIGHER. Are they trying to irritate me to death?

99% of the time, these candidates treat me and my concerns with nothing but embarassed "tolerance" or open disdain.... until it's time to pass the hat. Then, suddenly I'm "An Important Part of Team Joe/Kamala" apparently. Gee, do you think it's my cheery company they're after? My winning smile?

Last edited:
Donald Trump isn't fun anymore: How Kamala Harris stole the show — and extinguished his flame | Salon.com - August 9, 2024 9:00AM - "We are currently watching Trump realize for the first time that he might lose again"

Karl Rove Warns GOP About Enthusiasm for Kamala Harris
Fox News’ Karl Rove warned the GOP that Democrats are falling “in line” and “in love” with Vice President and presidential nominee Kamala Harris on Tuesday.

After first musing that the party has “plenty of time” to introduce Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, to the country at the Democratic National Convention, Rove mused that “if you do it successfully as it’s been done in 2008, as it was done in 2000, it carries you on to victory.”

“Karl, last night you said that Democrats are falling in love and in line. Have you ever seen anything like it?” she asked.

No,” replied Rove. This is normally what Republicans do is fall in line. But Democrats normally fall in love. And they’re doing both this time around.”
Seems like Barack Obama in 2008 all over again.

RFK Jr. reached out to Harris campaign about administration role in exchange for endorsement | CNN Politics - 9:21 PM EDT, Wed August 14, 2024
RFK Jr. Sought a Meeting With Kamala Harris to Discuss a Cabinet Post - The New York Times - Aug. 14, 2024 - "Robert F. Kennedy Jr. was unsuccessful with his request to discuss endorsing the Democratic nominee in exchange for a top administration job, according to two people briefed on the outreach."

Nothing on which Cabinet post. I'm guessing that he might want Health & Human Services.
Mr. Kennedy has confronted a range of negative headlines and setbacks in recent weeks.

This month, he acknowledged he had left a dead bear cub in Central Park in Manhattan in 2014 because he thought it would be “amusing.”

That bizarre story overshadowed a more serious challenge: a court case in Albany that this week removed him from the ballot in New York. A judge said he had used a “sham” address to maintain his New York residency.

RFK Jr. says he has "no plans" to endorse Harris after reports he tried to discuss admin job - Aug 15, 2024 - "RFK Jr. bashes Harris after reports he tried to ask for a Cabinet post"
Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. slammed Vice President Kamala Harris online after several outlets reported he sought a meeting to discuss a potential administration post, writing, "VP Harris's Democratic Party would be unrecognizable to my father and uncle."

Robert F. Kennedy Jr on X: "VP Harris’s Democratic Party would be unrecognizable to my father and uncle and I cannot reconcile it with my values. ..." / X
VP Harris’s Democratic Party would be unrecognizable to my father and uncle and I cannot reconcile it with my values.

The Democratic Party of RFK and JFK was the party of civil liberties and free speech. VP Harris‘s is the party of censorship, lockdowns, and medical coercion.

Kennedy Democrats were anti-war. Kamala‘s is riddled with neocon warmongers.

The RFK/JFK dems were allies of Main Street, cops, firefighters, and working people. VP Harris’s is the Party of Big Tech, Big Pharma and Wall Street.

My dad and uncle’s party was the champion of voting rights and fair elections. VP Harris’s is the party of lawfare, disenfranchisement, and the coronation of its candidates by corporate donors and party elites.

I’ve used our nation’s courts to prosecute corporations who hurt Black Americans. VP Harris used our nation’s courts to mercilessly prosecute Black Americans and exploit them for their labor.

My father and uncle prided themselves on their skills at debate and their ability to articulate a coherent vision for our country. VP Harris is scared to debate and can’t survive an unscripted interview. Instead of outlining a vision, she relies on middleschool tactics – memes, forged headlines, infantile slogans (Joy!) and name calling (“Republicans are weird.“)

I’ve spent years battling government corruption and lies. VP Harris spent years gaslighting Americans about the health of our Commander in Chief.

I have no plans to endorse Kamala Harris for President. I do have a plan to defeat her.
What bellyaching.

Like saying that "Kennedy Democrats" were antiwar and not "neocon warmongers". By that standard, JFK was a big fat neocon warmonger. The neocons were Cold Warriors who wanted new enemies to fight after the end of the Soviet Union and the Soviet bloc, and after Communist China became a capitalist roader.

The party of Big Tech, Big Pharma and Wall Street? I went to Open Secrets following the money in politics and I quickly discovered that these industries support candidates of *both* parties.

Lawfare? That's litigation as warfare. Donald Trump is an expert on that. Disenfranchisement? The Republicans are expert at that. The coronation of its candidates by corporate donors and party elites? Like what?

Kamala Harris afraid to debate? She's willing to, but not with Fox News's moderation.

Then saying that KH "relies on middleschool tactics", and complaining about calling Republicans "weird". As if Donald Trump has never done anything comparable, and as if that is not justified about JD Vance and his grudge against childless people.

If RFK Jr. wanted to say that the D's are as bad as the R's, he should have said so.

I used to use Angie's list and made the mistake of visiting Angi's list (new name and under new management) requesting information about the cost of a shower stall a few months ago. They recently generated a fake request for a quote and sent it to every single contractor within 100 miles of my home address. The contractors pay money to receive such requests, so I have been receiving phone calls, sometimes several per day, from all of those contractors over the past three weeks. I reported Angi's list to the FTC, and they'll file away the complaint somewhere. BTW, I'm on the government "Do not call" list, but there are enough loopholes in that list to make it rival Swiss cheese. Political spammers are specifically exempted from the restriction, because politicians want your money just as much as everybody else.
Holy mother of moose! You got contractors to call back?! I had to whore my wife out just to get a contractor to show up to give an estimate.

My wife still isn't talking to me over that. :rolleyes:

Robert F. Kennedy Jr on X: "VP Harris’s Democratic Party would be unrecognizable to my father and uncle and I cannot reconcile it with my values. ..." / X
VP Harris’s Democratic Party would be unrecognizable to my father and uncle and I cannot reconcile it with my values.

The Democratic Party of RFK and JFK was the party of civil liberties and free speech. VP Harris‘s is the party of censorship, lockdowns, and medical coercion.

Kennedy Democrats were anti-war. Kamala‘s is riddled with neocon warmongers.

The RFK/JFK dems were allies of Main Street, cops, firefighters, and working people. VP Harris’s is the Party of Big Tech, Big Pharma and Wall Street.

My dad and uncle’s party was the champion of voting rights and fair elections. VP Harris’s is the party of lawfare, disenfranchisement, and the coronation of its candidates by corporate donors and party elites.

I’ve used our nation’s courts to prosecute corporations who hurt Black Americans. VP Harris used our nation’s courts to mercilessly prosecute Black Americans and exploit them for their labor.

My father and uncle prided themselves on their skills at debate and their ability to articulate a coherent vision for our country. VP Harris is scared to debate and can’t survive an unscripted interview. Instead of outlining a vision, she relies on middleschool tactics – memes, forged headlines, infantile slogans (Joy!) and name calling (“Republicans are weird.“)

I’ve spent years battling government corruption and lies. VP Harris spent years gaslighting Americans about the health of our Commander in Chief.

I have no plans to endorse Kamala Harris for President. I do have a plan to defeat her.
What bellyaching.

Like saying that "Kennedy Democrats" were antiwar and not "neocon warmongers". By that standard, JFK was a big fat neocon warmonger. The neocons were Cold Warriors who wanted new enemies to fight after the end of the Soviet Union and the Soviet bloc, and after Communist China became a capitalist roader.

The party of Big Tech, Big Pharma and Wall Street? I went to Open Secrets following the money in politics and I quickly discovered that these industries support candidates of *both* parties.

Lawfare? That's litigation as warfare. Donald Trump is an expert on that. Disenfranchisement? The Republicans are expert at that. The coronation of its candidates by corporate donors and party elites? Like what?

Kamala Harris afraid to debate? She's willing to, but not with Fox News's moderation.

Then saying that KH "relies on middleschool tactics", and complaining about calling Republicans "weird". As if Donald Trump has never done anything comparable, and as if that is not justified about JD Vance and his grudge against childless people.

If RFK Jr. wanted to say that the D's are as bad as the R's, he should have said so.
It’s a testament to Harris that she didn’t fall for RFK. Let him go “Falconning” with Trump!

Back
Top Bottom